The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Interesting read on Dambrot. He is attracted to the A10 because the league gets multiple bids whereas in the MAC it's win the conference tournament or bust with the NCAA

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ss ... ratio.html
Increasing the odds of getting to the NCAA Tournament is big for coaches. MAC coaches see the A-10 as an improved option from their situation. A-10 coaches see the P5 and BE conferences as an easier route.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Also thought that DH extension details would have been done and announced by now......maybe it's just a waiting game.
It's only Wednesday. Get it done by Friday, then go to the Final Four as one of 32 coaches/programs to win a conference tournament and a game in the NCAAs. That's all positive for Rhode Island basketball.
My initial misreading of your post led me look something up - how many coaches/programs won their conference tournament AND at least one game in the NCAA tournament? Only ten, and it is some pretty good company:

Dan Hurley - Rhode Island
Mike Krzyzkewski - Duke
Jay Wright - Villanova
Steve Prohm - Iowa State
John Beilein - Michigan
Kermit Davis - Middle Tennessee
Gregg Marshall - Wichita State
Sean Miller - Arizona
John Calipari - Kentucky
Mark Few - Gonzaga
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:

This was the response to this tweet on the Hoyas Board by a poster:

Considering Tagliabue's not the AD or President but likely is the one calling the shots (on behalf of the Board), this statement doesn't mean much.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't care what Ace's relationship is with Dan. I just know she has a lot of knowledge and insight about Dan, Bobby and especially basketball. I love her posts and her contributions here.
6 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
ace wrote:

Considering Tagliabue's not the AD or President but likely is the one calling the shots (on behalf of the Board), this statement doesn't mean much.
Yes and no. Tagliabue is directing the effort, but the AD and President are going to speak extensively with the coach at some point before they come to an agreement. Taking Hurley on his word, his statement at the very least means they have not gone very far down the road in terms of discussing the Georgetown job. That could mean they haven't gone far down the road yet, in which case I'd commend Dan for such carefully chosen language - very lawyerly - but that doesn't really seem like who he is. Or it could mean nobody has called him about the Georgetown job and what he was trying to emphasize is that he has been in discussions with our administration about updating his situation here - which Bjorn has said publicly (and Dooley seemed to confirm to me personally yesterday).

So who knows. You could write an entire book about the misleading things coaches have said in the days before they bolted for another job, but on its face this seems to be another indication that Hurley will remain at URI. I am not going to take that to the bank at this point, but it makes me hopeful.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote:Interesting read on Dambrot. He is attracted to the A10 because the league gets multiple bids whereas in the MAC it's win the conference tournament or bust with the NCAA

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ss ... ratio.html
Increasing the odds of getting to the NCAA Tournament is big for coaches. MAC coaches see the A-10 as an improved option from their situation. A-10 coaches see the P5 and BE conferences as an easier route.
Yep. We talk a lot about our issues with only getting 3 or so invites and then there are those who realistically can only get to the dance by winning their Conference Tournament, even if they go undefeated in conference play during the season. So you see good coaches like Dambrot seeking out the 3-4 bid A10 and possibly now McCall from UT Chattanooga.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Contacts are usually initiated thru back channels and the like.....that's done to gauge interest by a potential candidate before direct contact is made.

So yes that tweet doesn't mean much. Although if he hasn't been in direct talks with the AD and Pres of GT by now, then others are ahead of him I would think.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:
ace wrote:

Yes and no. Tagliabue is directing the effort, but the AD and President are going to speak extensively with the coach at some point before they come to an agreement. Taking Hurley on his word, his statement at the very least means they have not gone very far down the road in terms of discussing the Georgetown job. That could mean they haven't gone far down the road yet, in which case I'd commend Dan for such carefully chosen language - very lawyerly - but that doesn't really seem like who he is. Or it could mean nobody has called him about the Georgetown job and what he was trying to emphasize is that he has been in discussions with our administration about updating his situation here - which Bjorn has said publicly (and Dooley seemed to confirm to me personally yesterday).

So who knows. You could write an entire book about the misleading things coaches have said in the days before they bolted for another job, but on its face this seems to be another indication that Hurley will remain at URI. I am not going to take that to the bank at this point, but it makes me hopeful.
The original statement was that Tagliabue AND the Georgetown AD would lead the search.......not just Tagliabue.

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/03/former-nf ... own-coach/
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Thanks ramster, but that is exactly what I said and what everyone has known for almost a week...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Thanks ramster, but that is exactly what I said and what everyone has known for almost a week...
I know, I was just agreeing with you. My point being that even though Dan did not mention Tagliabue he did mention not talking to any ADs or Presidents other than his own. Sounds like no talks with others period.

If you had seen Dan, talked to him, listened to him in Sacramento, you would not think he is planning to leave.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

:D OK good because I am tired of arguing with people!
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

TruePoint wrote:
scine20 wrote:I've wondered this for a while. Who is Ace? Hurley's sister? Wife? Mother? She clearly has a relationship with him and the Hurley family and seems to go back years with him.
Hey man, even if anyone knew we aren't going to out people here. Many posters on this board are pretty open about their real-life identities, some more than others. Some choose to remain anonymous. We would discourage anyone from revealing (or speculating about) any identity other than their own as a general principle.

Also, it is almost as weird to talk about someone like they aren't here on a message board you know they are reading as it would be in a room where you knew they were standing.
I was joking about those 3 relationships although maybe she is. I was just wondering if maybe she was some sort of Hurley insider.

I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to tell me who she really is.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK, I did not get that from your post, but if that is the case then sorry for getting on my soapbox. Ace's identity is a bit of a mystery, but it is fair to say she is some sort of insider.
3 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

TruePoint wrote:OK, I did not get that from your post, but if that is the case then sorry for getting on my soapbox. Ace's identity is a bit of a mystery, but it is fair to say she is some sort of insider.
That's all I was asking. I probably didn't phrase it right.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote::D OK good because I am tired of arguing with people!
:D
More information to support what you said.......
The original release saying Paul Tagliabue and current Georgetown Athletic Director Lee Reed would lead the Search.
So DH saying he has not spoken to any Presidents or ADs of any school other than his own would lead one to say he has not spoken to Georgetown's AD

https://georgetown.rivals.com/news/whos ... the-search
Georgetown Search Leaders.png
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
They're enlisting a search firm now? I'm assuming then that the search by Tagliabue and the AD either stalled or was not delivering potential candidates that the school approved of. Seems like odd timing to me to bring a search firm on.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Also thought that DH extension details would have been done and announced by now......maybe it's just a waiting game.
It's only Wednesday. Get it done by Friday, then go to the Final Four as one of 32 coaches/programs to win a conference tournament and a game in the NCAAs. That's all positive for Rhode Island basketball.
My initial misreading of your post led me look something up - how many coaches/programs won their conference tournament AND at least one game in the NCAA tournament? Only ten, and it is some pretty good company:

Dan Hurley - Rhode Island
Mike Krzyzkewski - Duke
Jay Wright - Villanova
Steve Prohm - Iowa State
John Beilein - Michigan
Kermit Davis - Middle Tennessee
Gregg Marshall - Wichita State
Sean Miller - Arizona
John Calipari - Kentucky
Mark Few - Gonzaga
I thought the same thing. I was going to go look up who had won their conference tournament AND got to the Final 32 and you beat me to it :D
Agree that this is good company to be in with and quite an accomplishment in and of itself.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That could also mean that Dan is not a candidate...either their choice or Dan has told whoever contacted him [if so] that he's not interested.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bill Reynolds: Georgetown turns the page on an era with firing of Thompson III

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ompson-iii
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hoya fans REALLY want Hurley vs Ewing!! :D
HoyasWantHurley.png
HoyasWantHurley.png (12.68 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I would point out that the Final Four is where initial contacts
were made with Tom Penders and Jim Harrick, by Texas and Georgia.
Final Four is a big networking event in the basketball world,
where deals are made on a face to face basis.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:I would point out that the Final Four is where initial contacts
were made with Tom Penders and Jim Harrick, by Texas and Georgia.
Final Four is a big networking event in the basketball world,
where deals are made on a face to face basis.
True for assistants looking for new positions as well and likely why Georgetown is looking to hire a head coach prior to the Final Four,
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:Hoya fans REALLY want Hurley vs Ewing!! :D

HoyasWantHurley.png
Safe to say no one will confuse Casual Hoya with, say, Nate Silver.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

ATPTourFan wrote:Hoya fans REALLY want Hurley vs Ewing!! :D

HoyasWantHurley.png

That guy's math skills are a disgrace to a premier school such as Georgetown! :D
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

One guy I hope we strongly consider if we lose Hurley is Tim Cluess of Iona. Can't believe UMASS has not looked at him.

Guy has won 20 games and been to the post season in all 7 years he has been with Iona including 6 straight NCAA or NIT years. Sure he's old at 58 but it's a pretty damn impressive resume for a guy in his first d1 coaching job at a true mid major school.

People are lauding Duquesne for hiring Dambrot but Cluess has been way more successful despite not having the whole Lebrons coach thing to lure in recruits.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If Hurley goes and we hire Cluess I'm going to see if I can get my season ticket deposit back. He's an embarrassment to the sport of basketball with his team's complete lack of defense and I'm not going to watch a garbage product like that.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

You've gotta work with the resources you have. I would rather the coach figures out an unorthodox way to win rather than be traditional and mediocre.

Pretty sure if he was getting a10 level players his teams would play better defense.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Defense isn't talent, it's attitude. You don't need talented players to make them get back on defense, you just have to have a scheme and a disciplined team. Cluess is literally Baron 2.0.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

EGram wrote:One guy I hope we strongly consider if we lose Hurley is Tim Cluess of Iona. Can't believe UMASS has not looked at him.

Guy has won 20 games and been to the post season in all 7 years he has been with Iona including 6 straight NCAA or NIT years. Sure he's old at 58 but it's a pretty damn impressive resume for a guy in his first d1 coaching job at a true mid major school.

People are lauding Duquesne for hiring Dambrot but Cluess has been way more successful despite not having the whole Lebrons coach thing to lure in recruits.
Can we please, please NOT do this unless/until our job is open?
7 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

A relatively uninformed guess: they hire Ewing both as a sop to the Thompsons (more on them later) and because he's been putting in time as an assistant.

Give him an assistant who can get recruits interested and have Patrick come in to close the deal. That was the arrangement Howie Dickenman had with Jim Calhoun, and that seemed to work pretty well.

About JT3: has anyone explored the possibility that he was just burned out and ready to be fired? Here's a true story: A few years ago I was laid off. My doctor had me on blood-pressure med for a while, ratcheting up the dose over a couple years. I happened to have a checkup schedule for the Monday after my last day at work. The doctor took the cuff off my arm and said, "I'm shocked. Your pressure's normal." The only thing that had changed was losing my job.

The point (yes, I do have one) is that maybe he's relieved to be out of there.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

TruePoint wrote:
EGram wrote:One guy I hope we strongly consider if we lose Hurley is Tim Cluess of Iona. Can't believe UMASS has not looked at him.

Can we please, please NOT do this unless/until our job is open?
Opps sorry.

I just figured with a few different deates on the worthiness of Preston Murphy for the job mods were OK with speculating but I guess I was wrong.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What was the quote on Iona?
Something like,"Never has a team been so committed to not playing defense."
I liked the times we played them, because you knew it would be
a fun night for our offense.
There's a reason why Cluess has stayed at Iona.
He's in a place where he has talented offensive players,
and simply out scores teams in the MAAC.
When they go play outside the MAAC, they lose.
Defense shows up every night. Offenses can be hot and cold,
even if you're the Golden State Warriors.
Cluess's teams are strictly offensive minded.
He's the Mike D'Antoni of college ball.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:What was the quote on Iona?
Something like,"Never has a team been so committed to not playing defense."
I liked the times we played them, because you knew it would be
a fun night for our offense.
There's a reason why Cluess has stayed at Iona.
He's in a place where he has talented offensive players,
and simply out scores teams in the MAAC.
When they go play outside the MAAC, they lose.
Defense shows up every night. Offenses can be hot and cold,
even if you're the Golden State Warriors.
Cluess's teams are strictly offensive minded.
He's the Mike D'Antoni of college ball.
Plus, he really works the transfer market in a way I don't think he successfully could at a higher level.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

wonder what the value of the Adidas contract is to Hurley. I imagine being able to personally manage that contract could be huge if we become a perennial top 25 team.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

rhodylaw wrote:wonder what the value of the Adidas contract is to Hurley. I imagine being able to personally manage that contract could be huge if we become a perennial top 25 team.
Interesting thought. Adidas' growth market budget is currently at an all-time high too... They're dumping money all over the place since the end of FY15.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I thought Dan had it in his last extension that
URI was to dump Addidas?
BTW, it was 2 years ago, today, that he signed that extension.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

rodfromcranston wrote:I thought Dan had it in his last extension that
URI was to dump Addidas?
That wouldn't be smart at this juncture in the sportswear world.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nike-i ... 2016-12-06

Ultimately I believe that Nike will end up making a major resurgence in basketball over the next 5-10 years... but, at the current moment, the Adidas zeitgeist rules what is "cool" in many markets.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not into the sneaker world culture, at all.
I do know Dan was supposedly anxious to get out of the Addidas
agreement with URI.
So much so, that it was part of his contract extension.
I remember some grumbling about certain recruits wanting
to go to a Nike school.
Maybe that's changed for the reasons you mentioned?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Not into the sneaker world culture, at all.
agreement with URI.
to go to a Nike school.
Was it specifically to not work with Addidas at all? Or to get out of the current (at the time) contract? I know Addidas moved us into a higher tier recently (whatever that means), so perhaps a better deal with Addidas sufficed?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Getting away from Adidas was an option, but I think the biggest thing was the ability to negotiate the deal for the basketball program apart from the rest of the university.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Right. He wanted to negotiate on his own for basketball. The adidas contract ran out last year, but we negotiated a one year extension and they moved us up to the highest tier. Our contract with adidas now ends on June 30th.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

agreement with URI.
to go to a Nike school.
It most certainly has. That's actually the industry I work in... so I'm pretty familiar with how the landscape there has changed dramatically in a short time. As silly as it may seem, the pop culture aspect of this branding stuff is always going to be in play when it comes to landing players... and in the past, being an Adi school vs. being a Nike school most certainly would have hurt landing prospects. That's definitely not the case in 2017.

12-24 months ago, I bet Danny and Thorr would have loved the idea of becoming an Under Armour school. They were on a meteoric rise in basketball; they have Steph Curry, started becoming the primary branding and sponsor on a LOT of grassroots-level youth basketball events, and their sales were through the roof. In an attempt to maintain a competitive edge with New Balance, they made a similar political statement supporting Trump's stance on the TPP -- and Curry came out and made his own public statement gashing the CEO for his support of Trump. Their stock and sales have been in a tailspin since... Granted, their trend was heading downward before that, but it's still important to note how quickly this stuff changes.

In the event we became a school that wore anything but Adidas, I'd hope it was Nike or Jordan Brand. Jordan Brand, being a smaller subsidiary of Nike, seems like it would be a sensible move if basketball is able to secure a separate contract from the rest of the school. They'd likely offer more than Nike would to be a partner as, clearly, they're a basketball brand and URI is a basketball school. Nike, on the other hand, has actually begun to centralize a lot of their collegiate focus on blue-blood schools that can sell gear coast-to-coast. It would certainly be awesome to rock the swoosh, though.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I thought Dan had it in his last extension that
URI was to dump Addidas?
The 2015 extension that had language on that topic was followed up with another one year extension in May 2016. The Journal referenced the Adidas deal in a 2016 article on the last extension.

One other provision addressed in Hurley’s first extension – URI’s school-wide shoe and apparel deal with adidas – will now remain in effect through June 30, 2017. The Rams activated a one-year extension with adidas in light of their elevation to the brand’s premier college basketball programs, receiving funding and merchandise on par with bluebloods like Kansas, Louisville and more.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -extension
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

agreement with URI.
to go to a Nike school.
they made us a Tier 1 school and more money, I'm assuming it was the best deal out there for the school. So while we are still with Adidas it is at a higher level
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

This means absolutely nada, but of the Final Four schools, three are Nike (including Nike U aka Oregon) and one (South Carolina) is Under Armour. No Adidas.

Notable Adidas schools slash schools that came up short of the Final Four: Kansas, Louisville, Michigan, Wisconsin.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

When you click on the USA Today link someone posted of salaries of coaches, the asterisk says Dan receives value from a service contract with Adidas in additon to base and gate revenue. I didn't go through all the coaches but I didn't see that as alternate revenue in other coaches salaries. I guess the point is there are lots of ways to pay a coach, if one of the ways URI is paying its coach is allowing him to take some money off the top of a sneaker deal and giving him the flexibility to negotiate those deals for the bball team that seems like a potentially valuable thing to a coach.

The better the results on the floor the better the shoe deal, the more the coach gets paid!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote:
here's the whole interview:

http://cbsloc.al/2niPEfi

good stuff. More than just the above quote. DH mentions how he's here to not only bring him to this point but to build a sustained level of success. Good interview. Give it a listen.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”