The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rambone 78 wrote:Again I know this is getting ahead of ourselves, but if Preston got the job I don't see anybody leaving, and Daron would also stay imo.

ARD would stay also, obviously.
Can we not do this: naming potential replacements when we still have a coach!
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Iggy1979 wrote:Blue Man: I agree that Dan is different and I understand what you're saying about money. But for almost every coach a better job comes along at some point. He seriously listened to Rutgers and decided that wasn't it. Is Georgetown it? I have no clue. Even Cooley, CFL at PC, says in today's projo: You never exclude an opportunity that can enhance your family's life.
Never say never.

look no further than his own dad...Basketball HOF coach who never left his HS team. He was happy and comfortable and stayed. He was offered countless other "bigger, better, brighter" jobs at the college level where he could've made a lot more money and never left.

Dan strikes me as being the same way. He values being happy and comfortable, as well as his family's happiness. I think he has found that here, and is on the verge of having the established consistent program he wanted to build.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: look no further than his own dad...Basketball HOF coach who never left his HS team. He was happy and comfortable and stayed. He was offered countless other "bigger, better, brighter" jobs at the college level where he could've made a lot more money and never left.

Dan strikes me as being the same way. He values being happy and comfortable, as well as his family's happiness. I think he has found that here, and is on the verge of having the established consistent program he wanted to build.
This is also relative to the local culture and political landscape building itself around St. Anthony's success. Sr. certainly reaped a lot of benefits by showing loyalty there... It appears that Dan would love that, but is looking for the same return out of the community around him. One would assume that's why he's playing the game so hard; i.e looking for an extension.

Personally, I don't think he will take that job even if offered. It's too likely that it would chew him up and spit him out in just a few seasons -- it's likely that's going to happen to WHOEVER is hired. If that were the case, he'd be looking for a job back at a school like URI again. I don't think he's naive enough not to know there's a very real chance that taking that job could end up being more trouble than it's worth.

If he does stay, though, next season is going to be seriously important. If we find any sort of success again -- how the public reacts is going to be crucial. We need sell out games at home. He's passionate as hell and wants to coach a school that has a fanbase that reflects that same sentiment.
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I find it hard to believe that Georgetown would fire JT3 and risk their relationship with that family unless they had someone big lined up and/or someone JT jr. would approve of. But that scenario seems less likely as more time goes by unless they want to make it seem like there was an actual comprehensive and objective search that was conducted.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Can't see Dan leaving.
Last year he said he thought about leaving after that disaster of a season. He said he felt a discouraged after all that, then he asked his players if they were as committed as him and they were. They made the tournament, he has a winner, he's more relaxed now. He knows he has a great thing going here.
He has a team coming back that can get to the sweet 16 and beyond next year.
Then there's all the family things that make it look like he's not the guy to just up and go.
If he's going to leave it won't be now.

Didn't he also say that he doesn't want to coach after 50?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:I know we're not used to having a good coach who is in demand, but I promise you, this is how it works when you get good at basketball. Enjoy the free press and everyone telling us how great our program is because of how great our coach is.
This is true, but it is also true that when a college basketball coach is offered a job like Georgetown they tend to leave places like URI. Dan may not be "most coaches", and there are actually not a lot of jobs I think Dan would be interested in, but this job offers a lot of unique things and checks a lot of boxes. Resources, geography, prestige, recruiting, tradition, basketball-first, etc. It is obviously possible that Dan is at URI and not Georgetown next year, but to dismiss the idea that it is possible he is at Georgetown and not URI is a little silly.

Everything you said about Dan in your post is pretty much true - he is loyal and not only driven by money, he likes Rhode Island and his family is comfortable. All of that is true, but it wouldn't have to be untrue for him to consider and possibly accept the Georgetown job, if offered. I'm not making any kind of prediction at all, and I definitely hope he ends up back at URI, but where I would have been insulted if he left for Rutgers I don't feel that way about Georgetown.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:If Dan indeed intends to only coach until he's 50, as he has said, money could be a factor. 6 years at Georgetown at 3 1/2 per year pretty much sets up his family for life. Sure, Dan could stay here for 20 years at 1 million per year, but I'm pretty sure he said he wants to be out of coaching in 6 years. He could make that same 20 million in 6 years in DC. If he was content making 1 million per year coaching forever, that would be one thing. But he has to make that money in 6 years.
JT3 made $2.8 million for the 2015-16 season. Some reports are that he made less in 2016-17 ($2.6). Either way GTown isn't paying Dan that much. JT3's pay was due to his earlier success. Based on the market the max I see GTown giving Dan is around $2 million. Still much more than what he would earn at Rhody. Not the 6 years to 20 years you mentioned above. I don't know Dan but his mentor never chased the money and obviously has never made near $1 million in a year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Where does the idea that Dan won't coach past 50 come from? I see it mentioned here a lot and don't remember the source. Did he just say it in an interview once or something? Would be curious to see the full context. I find it hard to believe he will really stick to that.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:If Dan indeed intends to only coach until he's 50, as he has said, money could be a factor. 6 years at Georgetown at 3 1/2 per year pretty much sets up his family for life. Sure, Dan could stay here for 20 years at 1 million per year, but I'm pretty sure he said he wants to be out of coaching in 6 years. He could make that same 20 million in 6 years in DC. If he was content making 1 million per year coaching forever, that would be one thing. But he has to make that money in 6 years.
JT3 made $2.8 million for the 2015-16 season. Some reports are that he made less in 2016-17 ($2.6). Either way GTown isn't paying Dan that much. JT3's pay was due to his earlier success. Based on the market the max I see GTown giving Dan is around $2 million. Still much more than what he would earn at Rhody. Not the 6 years to 20 years you mentioned above. I don't know Dan but his mentor never chased the money and obviously has never made near $1 million in a year.

This source had JTIII's annual Georgetown compensation at 3.6M.

John Thompson III’s salary is higher than we thought
Georgetown’s most recent disclosures indicate the university pays JT3 $3.6 million annually.
http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/20/149 ... ball-coach
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Another factor to consider is, cost of living in DC/MD/VA greater DC,
vs. Rhode Island.
It could eat up much of the difference.
JTlll's salary of 3.6 million is from filed IRS documents.
That's ironclad proof of what he was paid.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Not according to this...
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yikes!

$1m a year in sleepy little Kingston RI with a nice on campus gym and a loyal core following would look pretty good to me!

This kinda has "frying pan into the fire" written all over it no?

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/23/150 ... us-protest
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think it will be one of 3.....Dan, Christian, or Crean.

Can't see Shaka leaving Texas.

On the Dayton board they are saying that John Groce [ex Illinois] is the top candidate to replace Archie. And they aren't happy about that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Groce was considered a hot young coach when he left Ohio,
for Illinois.
He was 38 years old.
11 year assistant at four schools, left Ohio State staff
to have a great run at Ohio U.
2 NCAAs in 4 years including a Sweet 16.
Got the Illini to an NCAA his first year there, followed
by two NITs, a losing season and an NIT this year.
180-131 coaching record.
Not an awful resume at all.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes it's not a bad record, but even at Illinois, they expect NCAAT every year....and at Dayton now it's the same.

This is a tough business.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is a tough business, and it's why 99% of the people in that business take the money/opportunity when they are offered it.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote:Where does the idea that Dan won't coach past 50 come from? I see it mentioned here a lot and don't remember the source. Did he just say it in an interview once or something? Would be curious to see the full context. I find it hard to believe he will really stick to that.
It was in some article that had a lot to do with Mick Cronins brain aneurism.
Dan said something about how that was one of the reasons he's toned it down and doesn't want to coach past 50 because of the stress.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It was mentioned in this article:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... eck-injury

That said, it's easier to say you won't coach past 50 when you're 40 or 44 than when you're 48 or 49 or 50.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like was said, if he holds true to that statement and doesn't coach much past 50, then he might just need a little more cashola for his family.....

My guess is URI ups him to the 1.25-1.35 million a year range toward the end of his extended contract, assuming he stays.

Will that be enough?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Like was said, if he holds true to that statement and doesn't coach much past 50, then he might just need a little more cashola for his family.....

My guess is URI ups him to the 1.25-1.35 million a year range toward the end of his extended contract, assuming he stays.

Will that be enough?
No.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The Hoya board is really obsessed with Ewing
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:It was mentioned in this article:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... eck-injury

That said, it's easier to say you won't coach past 50 when you're 40 or 44 than when you're 48 or 49 or 50.
Thank you, appreciate the link.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Dan was down their list, which seems to be the case, these other coaches declining means that he's higher on that list now.

This should all be resolved by Friday at the latest...of course I'll probably find out by watching the espn ticker at work.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not that these things can't be cancelled, but a "Night with Dan" event for fans was just announced on April 12th in Providence. Plus events in NYC and Boston two weeks later. Fwiw
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Not that these things can't be cancelled, but a "Night with Dan" event for fans was just announced on April 12th in Providence. Plus events in NYC and Boston two weeks later. Fwiw
I think that's Dan Aykroyd. ..............just trying to lighten the mood!
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote:Not that these things can't be cancelled, but a "Night with Dan" event for fans was just announced on April 12th in Providence. Plus events in NYC and Boston two weeks later. Fwiw
BAR where did you see this?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I have good friend who is a Georgetown alum, and while he is not directly involved in anything related to this coaching search process, he is close with a couple of folks who would know more than most. Here's what he told me earlier today. Figured I would pass along what I was told.

- Cooley was never "formally contacted" about the job (whatever that means)
- They were prepared to make a break the bank offer for Shaka Smart but he declined their initial overture
- Mike Brey was the next home run possibility and he took a day to make up his mind, but decided to stay at ND. It never got to the point of negotiation with Brey.
- Amaker's slam dunk candidacy was largely a media creation and he was never at the top of the list.
- There is a power struggle going on down there between a couple of different factions. There's a group that wants Ewing and a group that wants a fresh face. At this point it is still unclear which direction that will head in. Ewing would have more support if it was known that he would accept if offered, but at to this point, he has been lukewarm at best.
- If it goes in the non-Ewing direction, Hurley is the top candidate. They have been in contact. My friend was unsure how interested Hurley is in Georgetown.

For what it's worth, my contact is in favor of Ewing, but expects Hurley to be offered sometime this week. He said they want a resolution to this before the Final Four.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Not according to this...
The articles states his 2014 compensenation (covering the 2013-2014 season/school year). That is 4 years ago. Based on searching other documents I found that he was paid $2.8 million for 2016/17 season. He was the 14th highest paid coach this year.

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid- ... asketball/

It doesn't matter any way because they aren't going to pay Dan anywhere near that. Look at the coaches making $2 million.
JT3 made the Final Four, another Sweet 16, the tournament 11 times and won the BE 3 times.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah right of course Cooley was never contacted and Hurley is taking the job

Friars yep sure

Go back to scout forum
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Yeah right of course Cooley was never contacted and Hurley is taking the job

Friars yep sure

Go back to scout forum
Exactly! Why would anybody contact Ed? He has the best job at the best program at the best school in the country........no, no......the world!!!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nothing about what he said sounds unreasonable to me, although there is not a lot of leaking coming out of Georgetown athletic department so I'd take everything you hear about this search - good, bad or otherwise - with a grain of salt.
7 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Not according to this...
The articles states his 2014 compensenation (covering the 2013-2014 season/school year). That is 4 years ago. Based on searching other documents I found that he was paid $2.8 million for 2016/17 season. He was the 14th highest paid coach this year.

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid- ... asketball/

It doesn't matter any way because they aren't going to pay Dan anywhere near that. Look at the coaches making $2 million.
JT3 made the Final Four, another Sweet 16, the tournament 11 times and won the BE 3 times.
This article specifies that it is only reporting school-paid salary but there may be other incentives and/or ways of compensation. Gotta think that if he maid 2.8 mil from the school he must have made over 3 in total pay.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Casual Hoya was the first to break the news on JT3's dismissal...I would continue to treat what he puts out as fairly reliable.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Uh I didn’t say that at all, but ok. No idea what you're all defensive about. I thought you might like some information that I had, but I’ll keep it to myself going forward.

And as far as Cooley goes - Don’t you think that maybe the conference relationship matters to the teams in the conference? I can understand why he was not contacted. Poaching a coach from another conference member would be more than just a faux pas. But I put that phrase in quotes for a reason. I do believe back channels were used.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Yeah right of course Cooley was never contacted and Hurley is taking the job

Friars yep sure

Go back to scout forum
Exactly! Why would anybody contact Ed? He has the best job at the best program at the best school in the country........no, no......the world!!!
Well Ed has said he is very friendly with Big John and was his mentor. If Georgetown is actually breaking all ties with Thompson clan, maybe they want absolutely no connection in any manner. Or Big was the connection with Cooley
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Sounds like Hurley to G-Town is picking up more steam. So for the near-term...

Best case: Dan comes back to Kingston for at least next season and the program continues to build momentum
Neutral case: Dan leaves, Rhody hires Preston (IMO he's the most logical fit AND he can recruit)
Worst case: Dan leaves, Preston doesn't want the gig and we wind up with a dud coach

For the record, I believe our current AD and administration really wants to push this program forward so I do not expect a Jerry D-type hire or even a CFL-type hire. I think the profile and potential of our program makes Rhody a very attractive hire for a hungry, young coach. Please no retreads though. I'd hate it if we fell victim to the "Hey, this guy made it to the 2nd round with (insert name of meddling P5 school here) once." Please none of those "last stop before retirement" guys.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

mstyles22 wrote:Sounds like Hurley to G-Town is picking up more steam. So for the near-term...

Best case: Dan comes back to Kingston for at least next season and the program continues to build momentum
Neutral case: Dan leaves, Rhody hires Preston (IMO he's the most logical fit AND he can recruit)
Worst case: Dan leaves, Preston doesn't want the gig and we wind up with a dud coach
I'd still appreciate it if we could wait until our job is open before we start talking about who should fill it. But generally speaking, if whenever our job opens up we take the attitude that it is "Preston or a dud coach" then that will be bad. I love Preston and would always welcome him back to URI, but also there is a possibility that someone other than Preston coaches here after Hurley and that that person is not actually a dud.
6 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PCFriars wrote:- Cooley was never "formally contacted" about the job (whatever that means)
This gels with what Cooley said in K-Mac's article. I read somewhere (maybe the same article -- can't look it up right now) that there were "feelers" put out by G'Town people towards Cooley's people. I imagine that doesn't constitute a "formal" contact.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote:
PCFriars wrote:- Cooley was never "formally contacted" about the job (whatever that means)
This gels with what Cooley said in K-Mac's article. I read somewhere (maybe the same article -- can't look it up right now) that there were "feelers" put out by G'Town people towards Cooley's people. I imagine that doesn't constitute a "formal" contact.
Agreed. I'm sure indirect feelers to Cooley were put out there. They'd be smart to. Hopefully GT finds someone not named Dan Hurley.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

As fate would have it, I just ran into President Dooley walking out of South Station as I was walking in to get on my train. I was late for my train, but I had to stop and congratulate him on a great basketball season and ask about Hurley.

"I don't think he's going anywhere" he said, with kind of a knowing smile. Hopefully he's right. I wish I could take his response as an indication that they've agreed to break the bank to keep Hurley and he's on board, but who knows. Granted he didn't have a lot of time to think about his answer.

If nothing else, hopefully he views being accosted by an alum asking about the basketball coach 100 miles from campus as a good thing (i.e., it drives home the point that people care).
10 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If several events with Dan have JUST been announced....then my take on that would be that they have agreed on a extension and he's not going anywhere.

IF is the word though.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Randy Bennett would be a shocker. He is from the west coast and has recruited a lot of his better players from Australia. No connection to the northeast that I am aware of. Throwing this name out there makes you wonder about where Casual Hoya is getting his info from.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where are the announcements about these events?
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just got the email about the Hurley events.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

eli#10 wrote:Just got the email about the Hurley events.
Can you share details?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Perhaps share said announcements. Geez man!
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund