The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would think that Dan will make some sort of statement along those lines soon....hopefully anyway.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

At age 58, the Duquesne job makes sense for Dambrot. He will make a lot of money (7 year contract at about 1M/yr) which he can then use for his retirement once he gets fired. He is at a stage in life where he doesn't have to worry about never getting another head coaching job.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hearing nothing about this Georgetown search. What's the holdup?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Hearing nothing about this Georgetown search. What's the holdup?
Someone that claims they have inside information claims Georgetown will hire Hurley per a post on their board.

http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/3 ... ch?page=48

Interesting that the Providence Journal did not have an article on Hurley today similar to the one with Cooley. Also, Hurley was supposed to be a guest on Dan Yorke's show last night from what Yorke had said in the episode with Koch. He however did not end up being the guest. I wonder whether these are just coincidences or is there more there?
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:Hearing nothing about this Georgetown search. What's the holdup?
My buddy is a Georgetown fan and pretty regularly monitors their board. He's told me that things are really tight lipped, because Tagliabue and AD Lee Reed are basically the only decision-makers on this, and they want to diminish the influence of the Thompson family university-wide. Just one source / fan opinion there, but he tends to be reserved and pretty moderate in his thinking, so I believe him. I don't think anything will leak from Georgetown until they make a hire, so you have to hope that info leaks from the other side. Which, if you still want to be a candidate for the job, you're going to keep it tightly under wraps.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If there's anything to this.....my guess is Thorr and Dooley are well aware of what's going on and are ready in case Dan does leave.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:If there's anything to this.....my guess is Thorr and Dooley are well aware of what's going on and are ready in case Dan does leave.

They better be ready just in case as the odds of this actually happening appear to have increased in the last few days.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
so an amateur Maryland Terps blogger? can we keep tweets about this to verified actual media members...

and if it ends up happening, i dont care about the experience card, you hire Preston. strong ties to the school, and most importantly he recruited our current upperclassmen. Best chance of not losing EC, Terrell or Garrett. And i think he's going to be a really good coach, he can already recruit his ass off and was such an intelligent player it should translate
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, could be a lot of reasons why Dan wasn't there.....recruiting etc.

Trying to stay at least somewhat positive right now.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:RF1, could be a lot of reasons why Dan wasn't there.....recruiting etc.

Trying to stay at least somewhat positive right now.

You are right. It is by no means definitive proof of anything.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

According to one tweeter, Jeff Goodman is supposed to be on DC radio this morning talking about the Gtown search. We'll see what kind of info he has.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Casual Hoya profile on Ed Cooley

http://news360.com/article/396054462
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Christian seems to be at the top of the list at the moment........but who knows?

If it's not him....then Dan? Until he says otherwise like Cooley has.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I wouldn't expect to hear much from Dan until Georgetown makes a decision. It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that Dan would be of interest to Georgetown or that Georgetown would be of interest to Dan. I'm hopeful Georgetown goes in a different direction, but nobody knows what they are thinking (even people on twitter, believe it or not). I will not be shocked either way.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

IF Dan is hired at GTown, this would be an unprecedented offseason for the A10 where the head coaches of its 3 top teams were poached.

I hope Dan stays and takes advantage of the temporary disruption to Dayton and VCU while he returns a very strong roster and welcomes some top talent.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan could do what Cooley did....but he hasn't yet....that's the concerning thing.

He could squash the rumors....but maybe he's playing URI like he did when Rutgers wanted him.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote:Dan could do what Cooley did....but he hasn't yet....that's the concerning thing.

He could squash the rumors....but maybe he's playing URI like he did when Rutgers wanted him.
Wouldn't it make sense for Dan to wait until an extension is announced before squashing the rumors?
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The two biggest reasons Hurley stayed last year:
1. He wanted to see it through with Hassan and EC
2. he didn't want another rebuilding job

Those reasons are now gone. he doesn't owe EC a fifth year and Georgetown is not a rebuild. This all comes down to what Georgetown wants.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

One good reason to stay is if he feels in the future that URI can be just as good of a program.
Last edited by steviep123 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:The two biggest reasons Hurley stayed last year:

Those reasons are now gone. he doesn't owe EC a fifth year and Georgetown is not a rebuild. This all comes down to what Georgetown wants.
You can also add that he wanted to bring an A-10 Championship, NCAA appearance, and NCAA win to URI. All of these goals have now been met.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

The way media members treat random twitter posts as newsworthy drives me nuts. People have been posting every view imaginable to the internet for decades but it suddenly became newsworthy now that twitter created a crappier way of doing it.

That Maryland basketball blogger likely has less info then the guys on the Gtown forum. Oftentimes the sources for these rumours are just guys reading posts on forums like these.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Iggy1979 wrote:The two biggest reasons Hurley stayed last year:

Yes it is. Georgetown is a mess, and really comes with additional pressure and meddling you dont have to deal with at other schools.

You'll always have the Thompsons over your head, judging you, making suggestions, keeping their hands in. Add to that they are of the mindset that if you on thin ice if you dont make the elite 8 every year. It's worse group think than Indiana.

Hell, JT3 had 8 appearances in 13 years with a Final Four and Sweet Sixteen and they still ran him out of town on a rail
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As we've seen, extensions aren't worth the paper they're printed on, when it comes to sudden coaching changes.

The buyout for this season wouldn't increase, so Hurley won't owe any more than what was already in the contract.

Anyway, the sooner this gets done [stay or go] the better for all of us. And for the program too I might add.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:As we've seen, extensions aren't worth the paper they're printed on, when it comes to sudden coaching changes.

The buyout for this season wouldn't increase, so Hurley won't owe any more than what was already in the contract.

Anyway, the sooner this gets done [stay or go] the better for all of us. And for the program too I might add.
If DH does go, I hope URI gets a home and home with GT like VCU got with Texas and LSU. But I'd prefer he stays.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Everyone, please calm down.
During the two Hurley to Rutgers episodes,
and the BS Hurley to St. John's, he never said a word.
If he's looking to make program improvements through an
extension, this gives him leverage.
It's all part of the cat and mouse game.
I also agree with the DC article saying Georgetown prefers
a black coach, for a few reasons.
The Thompsons were outspoken on race issues,
using their position to bring attention to these.
I can't see Dan ever being political.
His entire life is hyper focused on coaching.
I may be way off base, but I don't see Dan leaving
for the Hoyas.
6 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hopefully your insight serves us well, Rod!
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I do get the feeling that GTown is going to offer DH the job.

Unless he has told them he's out. Or waiting for URI to finalize a new deal, and then tell us.

Rod, you're likely right on this. Hope so anyway.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Everyone, please calm down.
for the Hoyas.
ah, the St. John's thing, when a twittiot was going on and on about Hurley would be St. John's next coach, and that Hurley was a better choice than Mullen, until Mullen signed, then DH was garbage. The tweets that guy threw at me were hilarious and hypocritical.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Fact is, Dan was never offered the St. John's job,
unlike the Rutgers jobs.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Whether he is or isn't an actual candidate for the Georgetown job, he isn't going to say anything one way or the other. It doesn't do him any good. As Rod and many others have pointed out, if he isn't a candidate or isn't interested, he would still want the leverage to do his new deal at URI, and if he is a serious candidate for Georgetown he obviously isn't going to say anything about that, either.

The thing I'd mention about Hurley being a fit at Georgetown because of the place they've held in black culture and the social and political acitvism that has been associated with the basketball program there - that's instructive assuming the school is planning to continue to embrace that, but not at all instructive if they are trying to move in a different direction. The use of Tagliabue to do the search, and the likelihood that they knew firing JT3 would sever them from the Thompsons' influence which has defined the identity of the program for almost half a century, certainly could indicate that they intend to move the program's identity in a different direction.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have a bad feeling about this

I think if Gtown targets DH he is gone we can't compete with what they got

Just have to hope he is not their first choice
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I definitely prefer Dan Hurley staying on as our coach, but I believe if the position is offered to him he'll accept it. That's my gut feeling, I hope I'm wrong because I believe next season will be even more special if Dan continued as our head coach. All the pieces are potentially in place especially if we land a quality front court player such as Juiston.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the coach to take the Georgetown job immediately after this Thompson family house cleaning that's going to have a messy, toxic, fall-out in their near term future. It might be better to be the "guy after the guy" in this scenario.

But I think they'll reach a decision very soon now because the timing is critical for Georgetown. The spring signing period for 2017's is just weeks away and the 2018 recruiting is rapidly approaching. While Georgetown obviously wants to hire the best coach they can, they also want to get this done as quickly as possible because there's going to be a lot of post-Thompson era fence-mending that needs to be done in the Georgetown community.

In the meantime, while Bjorn and Dooley do all they can to keep Dan, I hope they are also being proactive behind the scenes. Developing a short list of candidates should already be done and even some back channel "what-if" communications as well. We should have our moving-forward contingency plan in place.

If Dan were to accept the Georgetown position probably both Carr and Cox would go with him. A long, protracted search for our next coach and his staff would probably cost us Daron Russell and severely hurt our spring recruiting efforts and maybe even a year beyond. The good news is that we have a high profile coming off the recent NCAA tournament, our current roster is strong, and our facilities are good. We should attract more than a few qualified candidates.

It hurts that every time we get to the edge of some multi year success something like this impacts us going forward. Let's hope that this administration, unlike some of our previous administrations, has the vision, the commitment, and the sense of urgency to make a good decision
1 x
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

rodfromcranston wrote:Everyone, please calm down.
for the Hoyas.
I agree with Rod here. No different than the past episodes. He has leverage right now and he is going to use it. He could still end up at Georgetown, sure, but his silence certainly doesn't mean he's out the door. Fortunately/Unfortunately we are getting to be experts when it comes to this topic....
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I'm not so sure about Russell he has clearly already bonded with this group from what I've seen on social media. If he likes the new hire he might stay.

Sealing the deal on a JUCO big would be an early test for our new hire.

Whatever happens needs to happen now!

Agree the GTown gig will not be a walk in the park.....I'd need monster money to consider it vs $1m at Rhody

Quick tho - get it done quick - this week.

If we need a new hire on board by 4/15 is critical.

We'll be ok as long as we get it done fast
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Again I know this is getting ahead of ourselves, but if Preston got the job I don't see anybody leaving, and Daron would also stay imo.

ARD would stay also, obviously.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rambone 78 wrote:Again I know this is getting ahead of ourselves, but if Preston got the job I don't see anybody leaving, and Daron would also stay imo.

ARD would stay also, obviously.
Out of curiosity, why would hiring Preston lead to Daron staying? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that there is any relationship between the two.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

For the umteenth bejillioth time.

Dan Hurley is not every other coach. Dan Hurley isn't going to uproot his family with a child just entering high school just because there's a job that pays him more. You have never had a conversation with Dan if you honestly believe money is his motivator. He hates discussing it. He's mentioned it in press conferences about how all he cares about is coaching and winning. Want to talk money? Cost of living in DC is 40% higher than it is in suburban RI. Factor that in when you're saying that money is all that matters here.

Well he just realized that he can get to the tournament, win this conference consistently, and was a rebound or missed shot away from beating a final four team in the 2nd round. So he can either recruit the same type of kids and have the ability to play with or beat the best in the country in the tournament - Or weigh that against taking a rebuilding job.

You can say all you want that Georgetown isn't "rebuilding" but they didn't fire JT3 because everything was going so well. H'ed be going to a school in a better conference - aka one harder to get to the top of, and having to recruit players with heavy academic requirements attached to them. Georgetown isn't the peachy job that everyone thinks it is.

Do you honestly think Dan Hurley, who gets physically ill with losing, would take a losing season or two with a new program instead of coming back to a locked and loaded URI team that will finish at the top of it's conference next year, and dance with a potential NBA draft pick on it's roster? You're high on paint.

Dan Hurley isn't going to leave EC. Dan Hurley probably isn't going to leave Jared or Jarvis either. His relationships are important to him. Hence why he was at the championship game of a recruit who already committed.

I know we're not used to having a good coach who is in demand, but I promise you, this is how it works when you get good at basketball. Enjoy the free press and everyone telling us how great our program is because of how great our coach is.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Taking our mind off DH to GT rumors for a minute, this is great:

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/3/2 ... st-pretend
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Thing about Georgetown is that they destroy us off the court on paper in terms of resources and all that stuff.

On the court URI probably beats them this year and really has a shot to beat them every year going back to Dan's first year.

We played that Ohio State team close that year.

Some people always look at this stuff in a vacuum and say hey this place is better, but there are several factors to take in.

Then again if he's gone then he's gone. Put me on the Preston Murphy train. Teaming up with ARD!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Sorry for the second post.

But seriously, DH could take the job make a mint and be doing color for A10 games in 6 years.

More coaches have a good thing going and then trade up for a shot at a different level and they get ran out of town.

How many coaches succeed or great players following others get a raw deal following a legacy? Would DH get a fair shake following the legacy of a family with such tremendous accomplishments?

If he coaches Georgetown he can't follow up a loss to Duke with acting like he was happy to play against them and Duke is the holy grail. Georgetown wants a little more than that.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote:Taking our mind off DH to GT rumors for a minute, this is great:

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/3/2 ... st-pretend
I've been following him on Twitter. Good stuff.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Sorry for the second post.

But seriously, DH could take the job make a mint and be doing color for A10 games in 6 years.

More coaches have a good thing going and then trade up for a shot at a different level and they get ran out of town.

How many coaches succeed or great players following others get a raw deal following a legacy? Would DH get a fair shake following the legacy of a family with such tremendous accomplishments?

If he coaches Georgetown he can't follow up a loss to Duke with acting like he was happy to play against them and Duke is the holy grail. Georgetown wants a little more than that.

Hurley has commented about how hard it is to get to the NCAA at URI. Expounding on his statements, think about this fact from the past season:

Only three teams from the 14 member A-10 made the NCAA Tournament in 2017.

Only three teams from the 10 member Big East failed to make the NCAA Tournament in 2017.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All coaches who go to another school, leave players they
recruited.
If they stayed for that reason, they'd never leave.
As for Fatts, the last time we hired a coach "to keep the roster",
and a specific player, it brought us Jerry D.
Any coach hired should be hired for the coach, not roster
stability.
This isn't pro sports, where players are contractually bound.
We had three players leave one year under Dan.
Rolling over a collegiate roster is a fact of life. Every
few years, it's a new team.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Blue Man: I agree that Dan is different and I understand what you're saying about money. But for almost every coach a better job comes along at some point. He seriously listened to Rutgers and decided that wasn't it. Is Georgetown it? I have no clue. Even Cooley, CFL at PC, says in today's projo: You never exclude an opportunity that can enhance your family's life.
Never say never.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Dan indeed intends to only coach until he's 50, as he has said, money could be a factor. 6 years at Georgetown at 3 1/2 per year pretty much sets up his family for life. Sure, Dan could stay here for 20 years at 1 million per year, but I'm pretty sure he said he wants to be out of coaching in 6 years. He could make that same 20 million in 6 years in DC. If he was content making 1 million per year coaching forever, that would be one thing. But he has to make that money in 6 years.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Sorry for the second post.

Hurley has commented about how hard it is to get to the NCAA at URI. Expounding on his statements, think about this fact from the past season:

Only three teams from the 14 member A-10 made the NCAA Tournament in 2017.

Only three teams from the 10 member Big East failed to make the NCAA Tournament in 2017.
Not talking about that stuff, and JTIII has shown that the entry ticket to the tournament isn't enough to keep your job at Georgetown.

I'm talking about the Matt Dohertys of the world. These blue chip programs contrary to popular belief dont run themselves. I would say ppl fail as often as they succeed.

Just making the tournament at Georgetown will get you put out. The first coach to follow the legacy. A guy like DH coming in you have to recognize that it won't be a consensus. He will have ppl working against him before he signs his name on the contract.

Georgetown is blue blood and absolutely has the bells and whistles that go with that. But look north to their rival Syracuse. Hall of fame coach and they didn't make the tournament.

This stuff isn't a slam dunk the way it looks on paper.

$$$ is the main factor. Anything else that pulls him has a competing factor or something to undermine it.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

The coaches from the state of RI that have left has seemed to have pretty good success. Tom Penders, Rick Pitino, Rick Barnes, Pete Gillen, Al Skinner. But yeah, it can go both ways. Alot more pressure at blue bloods, no doubt. But coaching at a school like that also gives you a realistic opportunity of not only making tourney consistently , but winning a national title too. I don't think you can blame any coach for wanting that type of opportunity. If that's what they want. Most coaches have the competitive juices and would like the challenge of that opportunity. I have no idea, as everyone else. He may or may not want Georgetown, Georgetown may or may not want him. That statement from Cooley is so true and undeniable, that you have to consider any opportunity that can enhance your family's life.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x