The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

As far as I know, no official contact (negotiations) with anyone. I'm sure that they've reached out to prospective candidates to gauge preliminary interest.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

ramster wrote:
One_Mile_Mike

You asked me who my top 5 were, I answered. Hurley is my 3rd pick, not first, so doesn't that go against what you just said about me?
In no way was it an attempt to trivialize Giovanni's opinion.

You joined the board 1 day ago and already have 34 posts and counting. Probably an all time record.
Sorry, maybe I should have said "A" leading candidate. The assertion in my post was that the attitude here seems if anybody says anything other than venerating comments about Danny Hurley, then clearly their opinion is less valid. Get real, people. Georgetown is not URI... that's why Danny Hurley coaches URI and not Georgetown. And he won't get that G'town job either. Not an offer. Nothing. Not yet. Get real, people. He made the tournament by the skin of his teeth this year, sorry if you forgot!

Re: posting 34 times in a day... It's hard not to disagree with homers. I'm not here to make enemies, I'm here to discuss URI basketball... with a degree of REALITY. But the amount of passive-aggressive posts I've seen here in just 24 hours is nothing short of amazing. Some of you need to get out of your own way.

Oh, I forgot to mention... Pointing out my post rate hurt my feewingz so bad! :(
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

the_one_mike wrote:
giovanni wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
You seem to like to propose this question to people, as if you have the answer.

What's yours?

I propose the question? I do? I'll read my post again. Think its fairly clear. Did I mention any names or lists I want for Georgetown? Did I ask someone who the best choices are for any school? I missed that, if I did point it out to me. I could give a rats ass what Georgetowns AD or fans list may be. If it is Dan, and he wants the job, there is very little anyone of this board could do to stop it. I simply said this was the Georgetown's fans opinion. I would assume a little more tuned in to the program than any of us. And cited those names as some I have read as mentioned as potential candidates. I don't think it was unreasonable for the poster to have that opinion. Maybe there are some who would have Danny on the top of their lists at Georgetown. Maybe the AD does, I don't know. I understand on this board, if Coach K retired tomorrow, there would be some who would have Dan on the next flight to Durham. Again, not real difficult to figure out. This fan and I am sure others, is of the opinion he would not be his top choice. I don't think that is unreasonable or any type of swipe at Dan. He seems to want someone with more history or a different background. Maybe he would have Brad Stevens on the top of his list which would be totally unreasonable, but his list. I am sure there are many differing opinions among their fans as was here or on any board when there is a coaching change. Maybe Dan will turn out to dwarf any accomplishments of the names mentioned. But that remains to be seen. Georgetown may very well be considering someone who hasn't been mentioned. I wouldn't know. But with the names mentioned, Miller before he took Indiana, Smart, Cooley, I would have to disagree with anyone that thinks Dan has a better resume and would clearly be a better choice. There is also more that goes into a coaching search and selection as with any job. More than simply wins and losses. Again, I really don't understand how anything could be construed as negative towards Dan. It seems as if you say anything about Dan, even not being a top choice of a school, it gets twisted into anti Dan post, a negative or hate post.. Doesn't mean I want him gone or I think he is doing a bad job, or he would be a bad choice for Georgetown or any program as their new coach. Simply a comment of that Hoya poster's opinion. If Georgetown had 3 top candidates. Coach K, Billy Donovan and Dan Hurley? If I said Dan would be 3rd on my list in that case, is that in anyway saying something bad about Dan or indicating I think he is not a good coach?

I was essentially agreeing with you. Look at the quote. I didn't quote you. I quoted ramster who seems to ask that question of every single person that doesn't agree with Hurley being the leading candidate to go to Georgetown. It appeared to me to be an attempt to trivialize people's opinion by questioning what their "list" of candidates is.
RIght, just got in trying to read the many posts, many times go through too quick, not gathering content of entire post. Anyway, to simplify what I am saying is, I don't think its either right or wrong if you don't want Dan or have him at the top of your list, for Georgetown as a Georgetown fan. Or if you do have Dan on the top of your Georgetown list. TIme will tell. I understand why people care, if Dan is indeed in the mix and seriously considering. That I don't know. But, again, as I said, if they want him and Dan want's to move on, there is nothing we can post on this board that will change that fact. If he moves on, so does URI, won't be the first time and wish him the best of luck on a better opportunity and thank him for what he has done here and the position he put the program in. And the programs is now in position where we should be able to attract some decent candidates if there comes a time we need to hire someone. Maybe its the health issues I've had, but I am not into worrying again about if a coach is going to leave or not. And also simply put, if someone doesn't have Dan as their #1 choice for their particular school,it doesn't make it right or wrong,only an opinion of a anonymous fan/poseter. I can see it both ways. And who really gives a shit about what someone from some other school posts about Dan, good or bad? How does that change anything?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:As far as I know, no official contact (negotiations) with anyone. I'm sure that they've reached out to prospective candidates to gauge preliminary interest.

Keep in mind that a lot of the initial contacts are not directly with coaches. Back channels are often used so that the schools and coaches have cover and can later claim no conversations.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

the_one_mike wrote:
ramster wrote:
One_Mile_Mike

You asked me who my top 5 were, I answered. Hurley is my 3rd pick, not first, so doesn't that go against what you just said about me?

You joined the board 1 day ago and already have 34 posts and counting. Probably an all time record.
Sorry, maybe I should have said "A" leading candidate. The assertion in my post was that the attitude here seems if anybody says anything other than venerating comments about Danny Hurley, then clearly their opinion is less valid. Get real, people. Georgetown is not URI... that's why Danny Hurley coaches URI and not Georgetown. And he won't get that G'town job either. Not an offer. Nothing. Not yet. Get real, people. He made the tournament by the skin of his teeth this year, sorry if you forgot!

Re: posting 34 times in a day... It's hard not to disagree with homers. I'm not here to make enemies, I'm here to discuss URI basketball... with a degree of REALITY. But the amount of passive-aggressive posts I've seen here in just 24 hours is nothing short of amazing. Some of you need to get out of your own way.

Oh, I forgot to mention... Pointing out my post rate hurt my feewingz so bad! :(
No one thought Arizona St. would hire the coach from Buffalo with two years of experience either.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

One man's opinion:

1.) Shaka Smart - I think this would be an absolute home-run hire for Georgetown.
2.) Dan Hurley
3.) Mick Cronin - He flirted with leaving Cincy last year, I'd gauge his interest. This is the one name not mentioned anywhere, very low likelihood.
4.) Tommy Amaker - I think he'd actually be really successful at Georgetown
5.) Tom Crean - This is a tough hire to sell to the fan base, since he just got fired.

Another man's opinion:
. Shaka Smart
2. Ed Cooley
3. Dan Hurley
4. Tommy Amaker
5. Tom Crean

That's great. I may have a different opinion than both, but I'm not here to say these are right or wrong. It's your opinions, I respect them. It's conversation I guess, but who that counts, Georgetown administration, really cares about a list on a URI board? And why does anyone here care about a Georgetown list? Let's also be reminded these are lists compiled by 2 loyal URI fans, not Georgetown people. There would be some in that group that would certainly have varying opinions.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote:One man's opinion:

1.) Shaka Smart - I think this would be an absolute home-run hire for Georgetown.
2.) Dan Hurley
3.) Mick Cronin - He flirted with leaving Cincy last year, I'd gauge his interest. This is the one name not mentioned anywhere, very low likelihood.
5.) Tom Crean - This is a tough hire to sell to the fan base, since he just got fired.

Another man's opinion:
. Shaka Smart
2. Ed Cooley
3. Dan Hurley
4. Tommy Amaker
5. Tom Crean

That's great. I may have a different opinion than both, but I'm not here to say these are right or wrong. It's your opinions, I respect them. It's conversation I guess, but who that counts, Georgetown administration, really cares about a list on a URI board? And why does anyone here care about a Georgetown list? Let's also be reminded these are lists compiled by 2 loyal URI fans, not Georgetown people. There would be some in that group that would certainly have varying opinions.
I agree with you, Just opinions and everyone is entitled to one.
Only reason Georgetown comes up a lot here is because DH's name has been thrown out.
Will all be over soon anyway.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

"No one thought Arizona St. would hire the coach from Buffalo with two years of experience either."

I believe and hope Bobby will succeed. And I believe he was a solid choice. But comparing ASU to Georgtown is similar to comparing LSU to Indiana. Different levels in many ways.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
giovanni wrote:One man's opinion:

2.) Dan Hurley

Another man's opinion:
. Shaka Smart
2. Ed Cooley
3. Dan Hurley
4. Tommy Amaker
5. Tom Crean

I agree with you, Just opinions and everyone is entitled to one.
Only reason Georgetown comes up a lot here is because DH's name has been thrown out.
Will all be over soon anyway.
Certainly fair enough. I understand the Dan connection. Maybe its me, but I'd like him to stay no doubt, but I am not going to worry about it either. It's all good conversation, I certainly don't believe you or anyone else is trying to pick a fight, nor am I. Just healthy conversation. Thats what these boards are for. Everyone is not always going to have the same opinions.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

the_one_mike wrote: Look at Chris Mullin. St. John's came knocking for Dan and ended up with a name-recognizable coach with zero experience. I'd say that has worked out fairly well for them thus far... The fact that Ewing has never been a head coach at the D1 level doesn't hold a lot of credence with me. He's an 11-time NBA all-star; that's the type of experience and leadership that is hard to come by in the NCAA.

Outside of experience, if you break it down to the eye test... only one of these two people have their own signature sneaker: Danny Hurley, Patrick Ewing. May sound silly, but that's the stuff that impresses a 16 year old kid. You're telling me that as a 16 year old kid, an offer from an NBA legend wouldn't catch more attention than one from the third best known Hurley? Even if Ewing stunk it up for 3 years and got fired, you better believe he would have attracted a whole lot of talent to set the stage for the next coach. Georgetown is definitely seeing it that way -- after the last few seasons they don't have much to lose with a name like Ewing, and everything to gain.

What's more important, the best players or a quality coach? I'll take the guy that can get me players and surround him with a staff that gets the job done. Obsessive basketball minds are dime a dozen. Patrick Ewings are not.

How many multi time NBA all stars with their own sneaker coach NCAA D1? Why aren't all schools running out to hire their top alumni star? Your comments about what impresses 16 year olds would make one believe that old guys like Coach K and Roy Williams couldn't recruit these young superstars. Your last comment about obbessive basketball minds are a dime a dozen and take the best players over a quality coach seems a bit unreasonable. My guess is that you are a Fr. at URI and your frontal lobe hasn't fully developed.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Iggy1979 wrote:
No one thought Arizona St. would hire the coach from Buffalo with two years of experience either.
Now THIS is a fair point to bring up. One of, if not THE, best argument for Danny being in contention for the Georgetown job I've seen in the last couple pages. And it was a single sentence... not some contrived remark attempting to trivialize what somebody else believes.

I think there are certainly parallels there. Strong ones. I think the key difference here are personality differences... Bobby is noted for being a lot more controlled than Danny is. And the recruiting track record. Everyone loves to call Danny a great recruiter but nobody wants to talk about how Luke Murray and Bobby were initially the biggest factors in landing EC and Hass.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: How many multi time NBA all stars with their own sneaker coach NCAA D1? Why aren't all schools running out to hire their top alumni star? Your comments about what impresses 16 year olds would make one believe that old guys like Coach K and Roy Williams couldn't recruit these young superstars. Your last comment about obbessive basketball minds are a dime a dozen and take the best players over a quality coach seems a bit unreasonable. My guess is that you are a Fr. at URI and your frontal lobe hasn't fully developed.
I'm not even going to feed the troll here. Keep living in a box, bud!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, you're saying Lamar Odom wouldn't make a great coach? LOL!

Um, Murray had nothing to do with recruiting either EC or Hassan.
Preston was recruiting EC, when he was here, before Hurley signed on.
Hassan was on Staten Island, and was close with a now former URI
assistant, who was hired by Hurley when he got here.
Wagner was also on Staten Island, so they were familiar with Martin.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

the_one_mike wrote:
ramster wrote:
One_Mile_Mike

Saying that he made the tournament by the skin of his teeth this year is an unfair characterization of the season. Reports came out that even if they didn't win the A10 and automatically qualify for the tournament, they would have made it as an at-large team.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

the_one_mike wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Now THIS is a fair point to bring up. One of, if not THE, best argument for Danny being in contention for the Georgetown job I've seen in the last couple pages. And it was a single sentence... not some contrived remark attempting to trivialize what somebody else believes.

I think there are certainly parallels there. Strong ones. I think the key difference here are personality differences... Bobby is noted for being a lot more controlled than Danny is. And the recruiting track record. Everyone loves to call Danny a great recruiter but nobody wants to talk about how Luke Murray and Bobby were initially the biggest factors in landing EC and Hass.
Dan may have a very good shot at Georgetown, maybe not. His minimal track record is better than Bobby, as far as wins and losses. ASU is P5, but I very highly doubt they have the ability to attract the same level of coach as Georgetown. I think Gtown can offer the money and the history, recruiting environment and basketball culture is on a much different level.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote: Saying that he made the tournament by the skin of his teeth this year is an unfair characterization of the season. Reports came out that even if they didn't win the A10 and automatically qualify for the tournament, they would have made it as an at-large team.

You are somewhat correct. If URI had not won the A-10 final, they would have been in as an at large based on their total body of work. Rhody however would not have been in as an at large had they lost JUST ONCE in the preceding seven games. They had to finish the season on a big run just to get into position. Fortunately they did so.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RR 2, just curious, why so much hate for Patrick Ewing? Sure he doesn't have college coaching experience, but has pro experience, played for a legendary coach, obviously understand Georgetown culture and potentially could be a huge hit on the recruiting trail. I'm not saying he would make a great or good coach, but why all the hate? I know there are not a lot if any great pro players who have succeeded at the college level, but beside Isiah Thomas and Chris Mullin, who has tried? And jury is out on Mullin. He has proved he can recruit some pretty high level guys. He wouldn't be my choice, but I am not from Georgetown and don't care, but he has been mentioned. Simply asking a question, in your opinion why would he be such a bad choice?
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Shaolin Swat wrote:
Saying that he made the tournament by the skin of his teeth this year is an unfair characterization of the season. Reports came out that even if they didn't win the A10 and automatically qualify for the tournament, they would have made it as an at-large team.
I don't think that it is... at all. We were a pre-season top 25 team with a player on all kinds of national award watch lists. And it still came down to the point it was questionable if we'd get an at-large bid... despite getting all the way to the A10 championship game. That's performing below expectations. It's like somebody expecting you to ace a test, and you passed with a 68. You got over the hump but clearly there's room to get better.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Lot of discussion on experience as a head coach being
a must for an A-10 job.
Besides the people mentioned as assistants who made the move,
with no prior experience, let me add another name.
Frank Martin.
He began as a high school coach, was at Northeastern, Cincy,
and K State, for 7 years as an assistant.
When Huggins left K State, Martin was elevated to head coach.
He made four NCAAs in five years at a P5 school.
No lower D-1 job. Right into the big chair.
It happens.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

I'll respond to this in a separate post, since I'm not sure how to quote multiple users in the same post.

RF1 - You're right by saying that they had to win those 7 games. But, as you also said, it's about the total body of work. According to the selection committee, their body of work indicated that they were a tournament caliber team. Those last 7 games were much more indicative of the team than the December-January struggles, where they lost 4 games by a total of 20 points (with arguably their most important player - Hassan Martin - being limited due to injury). A health Hass probably translates to wins @Houston and @Dayton at a minimum.

the_one_mike - Whether you can get an at-large bids at random intervals during the season is irrelevant. Teams are judged on their full body of work. The at-large may have been questionable to those of us that are not part of the selection committee. But, the Joe Lunardi's of the world do not place teams in the tournament. The selection committee does and they said that URI's resume was good enough regardless. We can play the what-if game all day, but the bottom line is that this team was getting into the tournament whether or not the got the auto bid. If the committee came out and said that the only way URI was getting in was by winning the A10 tourney, then I'd agree that they got in by the skin of their teeth. But that was not the case.

rodfromcranston - You're absolutely right it happens. Look no further than Cal and Oklahoma St. Both programs promoted assistants to the lead job. Not my personal preference, but it does happen across college basketball.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Shaolin Swat wrote: the_one_mike - Whether you can get an at-large bids at random intervals during the season is irrelevant. Teams are judged on their full body of work. The at-large may have been questionable to those of us that are not part of the selection committee. But, the Joe Lunardi's of the world do not place teams in the tournament. The selection committee does and they said that URI's resume was good enough regardless. We can play the what-if game all day, but the bottom line is that this team was getting into the tournament whether or not the got the auto bid. If the committee came out and said that the only way URI was getting in was by winning the A10 tourney, then I'd agree that they got in by the skin of their teeth. But that was not the case.
They also said that in a loss to Davidson in the A10 tournament there's a good probability we were out of the picture. The difference of one win in March should not have determined their season's fate. Skin. Of. Teeth.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

An assistant coach is much more likely to get a crack at a good gig in his first head coaching job where the current head coach leaves and the assistant is promoted. That is not an obscure fact pattern at all, and it is the way many current well-known coaches got their start. What does not happen nearly as frequently is an assistant from another school being hired by a good program as their new head coach. I can't think of any recent examples off the top of my head (although surely there must be some) where a P5, Big East, A-10 type program hired their coach by taking an assistant off of another staff and giving him his first HC job. Guys getting promoted from within I can think of endless examples, and there are obvious reasons for that.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Really?
Try Steve Wojikowski, who went from Duke assistant to Marquette head coach.
Chris Collins, assistant at 3 schools, head coach at Northwestern.
Bet I can come up with many more.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm sure you can. I didn't say that it never happened before. I said it was much less common. (I actually said "I'm sure there must be some.")

You're also talking about two guys who worked on the staff of one of the best handful of coaches in the history of the sport for 15 and 13 years, respectively. That is a fact pattern that you won't see repeat a lot.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Really?
Try Steve Wojikowski, who went from Duke assistant to Marquette head coach.
Chris Collins, assistant at 3 schools, head coach at Northwestern.
Bet I can come up with many more.
I shouldn't bring him up, but wasn't Tom Carmody a Duke assistant before coming to URI?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Pretty interesting in its own right, but if you're trying to understand more about what is going on at Georgetown in an attempt to read the tea leaves about how this will shake out, I'd check this out (and the actual reporting linked in this article).

http://deadspin.com/the-power-struggle- ... 1793666837
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Pretty interesting in its own right, but if you're trying to understand more about what is going on at Georgetown in an attempt to read the tea leaves about how this will shake out, I'd check this out (and the actual reporting linked in this article).

No Dan. I wonder if he's taken his name out of consideration. Definitely sounds like they're phasing out the Thompsons.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Focusing on a string of seven wins and breaking down five years of work- including a massive rebuild- to just that seems off. Of course people from the outside may see it that way, but the expectations for context should be higher for people who've followed the five seasons. There were some who said if the team didn't really accomplish much this season, then maybe you thank Dan for a nice rebuild and move on. I don't agree with that, but that's ok. And regardless, by an inch or a mile, they did get it done. I'm not sure the word complacent is in Dan's vocabulary, unless maybe it's preceded by "don't fucking be." Seasons have countless turning points and moments that, when looking back, you see how it made all the difference. And every single team has horrid games or stretches of a season or wtf moments. That's not unique just to the team you follow; you just care more.

This team, especially in the last three years, has an identity. Overall, they fight and defend and are a completely connected unit. I followed Jagan's freshman year pretty closely, so I watched a lot of Georgetown basketball this past season. They were just a completely unfocused-appearing, nothing kind of team to watch. But still, the Georgetown job is such a good one. Whoever it is can go in there and be all basketball, with tons of resources, from day one. He won't be fighting APR or creating a renewed presence in the sport.

Also, Bashir talks to Dan about career moves, and I'm not sure he'd hear too much good about the Duquesne job. Speaking of which, this writer for The Ringer (Mark Titus) has named himself coach of Duquesne and is tweeting from time to time as if it's legit, and it's cracking me up, especially when people first thought it was real and were arguing with him.
10 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Did Mark Titus steal my job, Ace? I figured when the Dukes didn't call right away they were vetting me and putting the package together.
4 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

ace wrote:I'm not sure the word complacent is in Dan's vocabulary, unless maybe it's preceded by "don't fucking be."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a great quote. I'm probably going to steal that.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Pretty interesting in its own right, but if you're trying to understand more about what is going on at Georgetown in an attempt to read the tea leaves about how this will shake out, I'd check this out (and the actual reporting linked in this article).

No Dan. I wonder if he's taken his name out of consideration. Definitely sounds like they're phasing out the Thompsons.
Bray said he's not interested, but he was still listed among the three on the list. I'd heard Shaka wasn't interested either. Will Amaker get it by default?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I am finding it odd that the Hoyatalk2 forum is all over Cooley and no one on this forum is buying it.

Maybe youze guys are all closet Friar fans......

:roll:
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody74 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Bray said he's not interested, but he was still listed among the three on the list. I'd heard Shaka wasn't interested either. Will Amaker get it by default?
Don't get me wrong, Georgetown is a very prestigious job. But it is NOT in away any more prestigious than Texas or Notre Dame. Unless GT wants to double Smart's or Brey's salaries, they aren't going anywhere. Those are jobs those guys retire at if they do well. It's too soon for Smart, but Brey has done very well at ND.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I genuinely feel bad for the Dukes. Their coaching search has turned into a punch line it seems.

Apparently they just hired the Akron guy
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Not sure if anyone saw this, but Duquesne found a victim.

Keith Dambront of Akron. From the Zips to the Dukes. 7 years. I'm not sure if that's a good move for him. If Duquesne steps up then yes. Otherwise he'd be better off staying at Akron. I'm reading he was Lebron James' high school coach.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

EGram wrote:I genuinely feel bad for the Dukes. Their coaching search has turned into a punch line it seems.

Apparently they just hired the Akron guy
Duquesne, where coaching careers go to die.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Shaolin Swat
ARD

Per Jeff Goodman, it's a 7-year deal.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:Per Jeff Goodman, it's a 7-year deal.
Damn
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: No Dan. I wonder if he's taken his name out of consideration. Definitely sounds like they're phasing out the Thompsons.
Don't get me wrong, Georgetown is a very prestigious job. But it is NOT in away any more prestigious than Texas or Notre Dame. Unless GT wants to double Smart's or Brey's salaries, they aren't going anywhere. Those are jobs those guys retire at if they do well. It's too soon for Smart, but Brey has done very well at ND.
It's really about the geography for those two guys. If Georgetown was in Missouri, they wouldn't be mentioned. But because they both have ties to the area, they automatically get attached to the job.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:Per Jeff Goodman, it's a 7-year deal.

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
It's really about the geography for those two guys. If Georgetown was in Missouri, they wouldn't be mentioned. But because they both have ties to the area, they automatically get attached to the job.
Thanks a great point, TP. One that I didn't consider.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:Keith Dambrot, HC at Akron, would be a tremendous hire for Duquesne. His father played at Duquesne. His son has been playing on the highly successful, Nationally Ranked Akron Soccer Team but now is at Pitt as a grad so he might be more likely to consider.

Also hearing that Dambrot could be a candidate for the Dayton opening.
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/ ... y-dambrot/

Duquesne really wanted Dambrot and it was not looking likely, but they were able to convince him in their meeting today!!
He took Akron to 4 NCAA Tournaments.

Here is a comment from the Akron Board:
"It was a nice run! But too good an offer to turn down. $7 Million Plus incentives Plus extra money for assistants. For 7 years, 50-60 Million renovation of an arena already nicer than the JAR. And the kicker, A10 conference. He wont have to win tournament to get in NCAA any more."

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/duque ... h-dambrot/
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
ramster wrote:Keith Dambrot, HC at Akron, would be a tremendous hire for Duquesne. His father played at Duquesne. His son has been playing on the highly successful, Nationally Ranked Akron Soccer Team but now is at Pitt as a grad so he might be more likely to consider.

Also hearing that Dambrot could be a candidate for the Dayton opening.
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/ ... y-dambrot/

Duquesne really wanted Dambrot and it was not looking likely, but they were able to convince him in their meeting today!!
He took Akron to 3 NCAA Tournaments.

Could turn out to be an excellent Hire for Duquesne

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/duque ... h-dambrot/
I'm hearing through the twitterverse they are looking to upgrade facilities, etc. Don't know if true and I'm too lazy tonight to research. But hopefully they do. It would be good to have a program in Pittsburgh that can compete in the A10 and also win their annual game vs. Pitt more than once a decade (if they even do it that often).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good for Duquesne, one team I don't hate yet but would like to see represent this league better than they have.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: I'm hearing through the twitterverse they are looking to upgrade facilities, etc. Don't know if true and I'm too lazy tonight to research. But hopefully they do. It would be good to have a program in Pittsburgh that can compete in the A10 and also win their annual game vs. Pitt more than once a decade (if they even do it that often).

steviep123,

Here is the info on the Facility Upgrade. Note that the guy driving all this is Duquesne athletic director Dave Harper, who was hired in September of 2015. Harper previously worked as the VP of Athletics at Dayton University. While at Dayton, Harper was involved with the men’s basketball program in a variety of ways, including fundraising and the hiring of coaches.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/ ... l-program/

Mike Vukovcan  
Published on March 5, 2017

After what has been yet another disappointing season on The Bluff for the Duquesne men’s basketball program, Pittsburgh Sports Now has learned about some upcoming news that will give Dukes fans reason for optimism and hope for the future.
Sources tell PSN that a renovation of the AJ Palumbo Center has been approved in a recent confidential board meeting. The budget for the renovation is believed to be in the neighborhood of about $40 million dollars. This investment will facilitate a complete internal and external overhaul of the facility in an effort to update the structure that was built in 1988.
Some of the upgrades and changes to the facility include modernizing the exterior of the building, including the face of the Palumbo Center that looks out onto Forbes Avenue. The front of then building will be extended closer to the road to allow for the construction of private boxes.
Sources tell PSN that seating capacity will be slightly reduced by the addition of state-of-the-art luxury boxes as well as the addition of standing room areas in the corners of the arena. These areas will allow space for fans to socialize during the game while also providing excellent sight lines for the action on the court.
Other internal upgrades are said to include overhauls to the weight room and training facilities with top of the line equipment, the construction of an auditorium style theater for film study and meetings, and general aesthetic updates to the inside of the building to provide a modern, cutting edge look to the Palumbo.
Perhaps the biggest upgrade to the facility will include the creation of a brand new stand alone structure. We’re hearing that there are plans to build an indoor training facility that will be used by various Duquesne athletic teams as an on campus resource for training in the winter. This structure will be built on the field that currently sits directly behind the Palumbo Center and will be an asset to the athletic department as a whole.
Sources tell us that this project will take around a year and a half to complete. Due to the project timeline, Duquesne’s men and women’s basketball teams will not have a home for next season, much like Robert Morris as they go through the construction of their new arena that was recently announced. Sources are citing the Convention Center as a possible temporary home for Duquesne hoops, while Robert Morris will play at PPG Paints Arena.
An investment like this in the basketball program shows Duquesne’s commitment to long-term success and sustainability for its flagship athletic program. This upcoming announcement should bring excitement to fans, as well as raise the profile of the men’s and women’s programs both locally and nationally.
Top notch facilities can help Duquesne to be competitive in the Atlantic 10 in regards to attracting top level talent. It’s believed that the plans for the renovation were proposed by Duquesne athletic director Dave Harper, who was hired in September of 2015. Harper previously worked as the VP of Athletics at Dayton University. **Pittsburgh Sports Now reached out to the Duquesne athletic department for a statement and Athletic Director Dave Harper released this statement:
“We are in the early stages of exploring facility options as part of our Athletics strategic plan. We have yet to determine details of scope and will continue to stick with our process until any plans are final.”
While at Dayton, Harper was involved with the men’s basketball program in a variety of ways, including fundraising and the hiring of coaches.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think that's a good hire by Duq
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Agreed, think it's a good hire by Duquesne. Especially since it seems like they were having trouble attracting credible candidates.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just the fact that he coached Bronny in high school may carry some weight with the players too
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Projo on Cooley tonight.......no Georgetown for him

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... providence
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »