The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
A month ago pissing the pot vs. Fordham and Dayton. people were ready for Hurley to take a long walk off a short cliff. Now he's deserving of an 11-year extension?
Yeah I wasn't one of those people.

Your life seems like it sucks enough where you can go read all my posts on the subject and let me know where I wrote it.

Blue Man,
This is what you wrote a few hours ago, at the end of your commentary. Maybe you meant to type "1" instead of "11"? Or maybe you were just making a point of emphasis but this is what got some here riled up about. For me it does not matter since he is making $1 million and is worth much, much more seeing Wade get $22 million and Miller get $28 million over 7 years. If DH wants to go he can easily get big money since these 3 are the best HC Candidates the A10 has right now in my opinion

"Dan Hurley could get an 11 year extension right now and deserve it. You're blindly hating if you don't think so."
When he said he wasn't one of those people, he meant he wasn't one of the people wanting Hurley to walk the plank after the Fordham loss. Obviously he knows what he just said. It was literally quoted in the post he was responding to.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:When he said he wasn't one of those people, he meant he wasn't one of the people wanting Hurley to walk the plank after the Fordham loss. Obviously he knows what he just said.
are you talking to me? I have seen more than one poster comment on the 11 year thing, that's all. And showed where it came from.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS getting closer
Also talking to Seth Greenberg as a possibility

http://www.gazettenet.com/Celtics-assis ... ay-8919619
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yes ramster, I edited it to quote you because I didn't realize it was going to be a new page. When he said "I wasn't one of those people" he wasn't talking about the 11 year extension, he was talking about not calling for Hurley's head after Fordham.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Keith Dambrot, HC at Akron, would be a tremendous hire for Duquesne. His father played at Duquesne. His son has been playing on the highly successful, Nationally Ranked Akron Soccer Team but now is at Pitt as a grad so he might be more likely to consider.

Also hearing that Dambrot could be a candidate for the Dayton opening.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/ ... y-dambrot/
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Yes ramster, I edited it to quote you because I didn't realize it was going to be a new page. When he said "I wasn't one of those people" he wasn't talking about the 11 year extension, he was talking about not calling for Hurley's head after Fordham.
I'm kind of confused then TP because the 11 year extension has gotten mentioned more than once and I think that is where it came from. I really don't care to get involved anyway with this because the extension and additional contract enhancements will be miniscule compared to what DH can get in the open market anyway. I don't think Blue Man really meant to say 11 years but maybe was a typo or just an exaggeration, No big deal.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Candidate write ups for the Duquesne Opening, some interesting names
http://www.duqsm.com/2017-mbb-coaching- ... continues/
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Compared to Barons 10 year extension/11 year career here that amounted to nothing, Dan Hurley is deserving of an 11 year extension for the sheer fact of all that he has accomplished compared to his presecessor.

Apologies if my syntax went roundabout and confused anyone.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ramster wrote:Candidate write ups for the Duquesne Opening, some interesting names
http://www.duqsm.com/2017-mbb-coaching- ... continues/
Would be a bit ironic if Bashir Mason got the job.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:Compared to Barons 10 year extension/11 year career here that amounted to nothing, Dan Hurley is deserving of an 11 year extension for the sheer fact of all that he has accomplished compared to his presecessor.

Apologies if my syntax went roundabout and confused anyone.

Thank you Blue Man,
Clear to me
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote:from the Gtown board
"Hurley has had virtually no success at URI until a 4 day run through the mediocre A10 tourney. Was 19-17 in that same conference last year. One 4 day run should not put him anywhere near the top of the list."

This quote has some legitimacy and accuracy to it. Of course if any sense of reality is mentioned here, you are a pessimist, a hater, have no idea what you are talking about, so on. Lets put this in context. Georgetown is not just any D 1 job, by far. Both financially and its prestige. Certainly a position where the right guy would have a chance to win a national title. With that being said, this is a job that can attract or shoot their sights on a more experienced, bigger name with a greater resume or history of winning. To say Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley or even Tommy Amaker don't have more history of success and experience would not be accurate of realistic. Maybe none of these guys or others have any interest and the choice has to come to the level of someone with lesser experience and not quite the resume. "Anywhere near the top of the list" is not a knock on Dan, just the man's opinion and probably one that is shared by many Hoya followers who clearly have and should have very high expectations for their program. JT III went to a post season tournament is his first 13 years, 10 of those NCAAs. 2 disappointing years and they were ready to hang him. Those are very high expectations and actually thinking big. Life outside of the A10 and Kingston, reality.

I hope as much as anyone, Dan stays and goes on to build Shaka Smart of Archie Miller type success or even if I want to dream, a Mark Few type legacy. We had a great run and the programs certainly is headed in right direction for sustained success, but at this point, in reality, has he accomplished much more than say Mark Schmidt did at St Bonnies in his first 5 years? And I know Dan has done other things, straighten out a mess academically, help assistants get paid more, infrastructure. He should be applauded for all he has been able to accomplish. Also I would like to believe that URI is a little bit of a better job than St Bonnies. Let's hope Dan goes on to win big next year and many years after. We are fortunate to have him. But until he actually accomplishes a longer period of consistent winning, let's not compare him to the most successful coaches in the country at this point. The support is fantastic, but also grasp a bit of reality.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Question. ...how much does Mark Few make at Gonzaga?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

gio, that is the pragmatic and realistic look that I agree with also.

What happened the last few weeks is great. I think Dan knows he has a lot more work to do.

Get another big man in here....make the dance again next year....fill the holes on the roster [and there will be a lot] with good talent with the 2018-19 class.....keep building on this success.

Recruiting and scheduling is a huge challenge going forward.

I will say this....If we return to the NCAAT next year, win a couple games, and have a boffo recruiting class coming in for the next season, URI will probably have to empty the bank to have any hope of keeping him.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Question. ...how much does Mark Few make at Gonzaga?
If this media report from LY is to be believed, he made just 1.37M. These media reports are however sometimes suspect as they may not include all the perks and bonuses. Based on the number on that list, I would think he is not making multiple millions per year.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/3/ ... s-mark-few
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I find that number to be suspect as well....probably only the guaranteed portion of his pay....he's probably over 2 mil at least after perks and bonuses.

He's obviously happy there and the school has given him everything he needs....17 consecutive NCAAT's is mind boggling, same coach or not.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

giovanni wrote:
"Hurley has had virtually no success at URI until a 4 day run through the mediocre A10 tourney. Was 19-17 in that same conference last year. One 4 day run should not put him anywhere near the top of the list."

This quote has some legitimacy and accuracy to it. Of course if any sense of reality is mentioned here, you are a pessimist, a hater, have no idea what you are talking about, so on. Lets put this in context. Georgetown is not just any D 1 job, by far. Both financially and its prestige. Certainly a position where the right guy would have a chance to win a national title. With that being said, this is a job that can attract or shoot their sights on a more experienced, bigger name with a greater resume or history of winning. To say Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley or even Tommy Amaker don't have more history of success and experience would not be accurate of realistic. Maybe none of these guys or others have any interest and the choice has to come to the level of someone with lesser experience and not quite the resume. "Anywhere near the top of the list" is not a knock on Dan, just the man's opinion and probably one that is shared by many Hoya followers who clearly have and should have very high expectations for their program. JT III went to a post season tournament is his first 13 years, 10 of those NCAAs. 2 disappointing years and they were ready to hang him. Those are very high expectations and actually thinking big. Life outside of the A10 and Kingston, reality.

I hope as much as anyone, Dan stays and goes on to build Shaka Smart of Archie Miller type success or even if I want to dream, a Mark Few type legacy. We had a great run and the programs certainly is headed in right direction for sustained success, but at this point, in reality, has he accomplished much more than say Mark Schmidt did at St Bonnies in his first 5 years? And I know Dan has done other things, straighten out a mess academically, help assistants get paid more, infrastructure. He should be applauded for all he has been able to accomplish. Also I would like to believe that URI is a little bit of a better job than St Bonnies. Let's hope Dan goes on to win big next year and many years after. We are fortunate to have him. But until he actually accomplishes a longer period of consistent winning, let's not compare him to the most successful coaches in the country at this point. The support is fantastic, but also grasp a bit of reality.
It really has very little legitimacy and accuracy. It ignores that the program has gotten better every year since he took over. It also ignores that our record last year was a direct result of losing our best player ten minutes into the season. Further, it sounds foolish considering Patrick Ewing is a serious candidate.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote:

Giovanni,
Today, who would be your top 5 candidates, in order of priority, for the Georgetown Position if you were the AD?
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

It really has very little legitimacy and accuracy. It ignores that the program has gotten better every year since he took over. It also ignores that our record last year was a direct result of losing our best player ten minutes into the season. Further, it sounds foolish considering Patrick Ewing is a serious candidate.
Not to mention that during the 2015-2016 season, Jared Terrell was he only starter to not miss a game due to injury. And while Jarvis technically only missed 1 game last year, he had to play with the mask for much of conference play. I feel like people who are only looking at the overall record will be underwhelmed with a DH hire no matter what. When you pull back the curtains and look at thing on a deeper level, you realize how the team has continued to improve year after year.

I think it is a bit disingenuous to criticize DH and the team for underachieving and saying that they had no success outside of a 4 day run. Totally negates the fact that this team basically played elimination games for 5 weeks straight and rose to the occasion each time. The team has clearly been on an upward trajectory since day 1, with a minor setback due to a rash of injuries in Year 4.

To be clear, I'm not directing this at anyone in this forum. I'm more talking about the DH criticisms from outsiders who are only looking at the W-L record when evaluating the job that has been done so far.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The thing is ramster, right now there aren't that many candidates out there that look qualified for that job.

Dan is on that list for sure....but hopefully toward the bottom of it.....you know there was someone who has said that Dan has already talked to GTown about the position.....maybe he told them he's not a candidate?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone,
All I am asking is who are the Top 5 Candidates at this point in time of anyone's opinion. In the Top 5 where would DH be, if at all?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, Dan's record in close games for 4 and a half years, injuries or not, hasn't exactly been stellar...we all know that....that could have an effect on things.....reputations take a while to overcome. Same for his sideline demeanor....which before anyone jumps me on this, has improved BIG TIME recently.

Some, rightly or wrongly, could look at what we did the last weeks as a flash in the pan.....and the Hurley name plays a factor in all of this too.....all I'm saying is that Dan needs to keep this thing going next year and beyond.....the big offers will come if he does.

P.S. Sorry to dig up the "close losses" thing again....but I'm trying to make a point, that's all.

ramster, I'll have to research the candidates and get back to you.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Answer the man's question, though.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

I'll throw an answer out there. Here's what my order would be if I was Georgetown:

1.) Shaka Smart - I think this would be an absolute home-run hire for Georgetown.
2.) Dan Hurley
3.) Mick Cronin - He flirted with leaving Cincy last year, I'd gauge his interest. This is the one name not mentioned anywhere, very low likelihood.
4.) Tommy Amaker - I think he'd actually be really successful at Georgetown
5.) Tom Crean - This is a tough hire to sell to the fan base, since he just got fired.

I intentionally left off two names:

Patrick Ewing - Since I'm not a Georgetown fan, I don't have any emotional ties to this hire. I wouldn't be particularly interested in hiring someone who hasn't been associated with the world of college basketball (recruiting) in over 30 years. If he wasn't a Georgetown legend, his name would never have come up.

Ed Cooley - In my opinion, there is a 0% chance that Cooley leaves to take a different Big East job. He has a good set-up right now and seems to genuinely love being home in Rhode Island. Leaving PC for another Big East job would make him Public Enemy #1 in Providence, which is something that I don't think he wants. I think that if he ever leaves Providence, it will either be for an NBA job or for a blue-blood type situation.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Rambone,
All I am asking is who are the Top 5 Candidates at this point in time of anyone's opinion. In the Top 5 where would DH be, if at all?
I would guess that current college coaches such as Shaka Smart, Tommy Amaker, Danny Manning, Ed Cooley, and Tom Crean, along with Hurley are on the Georgetown list. It would think that there may also be some candidates from the African American NBA coaching ranks possibly under consideration (someone like a Brian Shaw, Derek Fisher, or Byron Scott). I think Georgetown could surprise us with a name many might not be currently thinking about.

While it is not politically correct and would never publicly be mentioned by GU, I think race will be a factor (not necessarily the only factor). The city of Washington DC has a large African American majority population and no other high profile basketball program in the country is so associated with the African American community and has as a large of a fan following than Georgetown.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I wonder if Anthony Grant's name will surface for Dayton (alum) and/or Georgetown (DC area ties from time at VCU)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good list, but I'd shake it up a little.....

I would put Amaker and Crean higher, and Cronin lower [I don't think he'd leave for a BE job]....and I'd take Shaka off the list and replace him with Ewing.

Shaka's not going anywhere for the short term....too soon and good grief, look what he's got at Texas in terms of money and resources.

1. Ewing 2. Amaker 3. Crean 4. Dan 5. Cronin ......Cooley, for the above reasons stated by Swat, and Smart....out.

104, the folks at Dayton seem to want Grant....not sure about him, he did nothing at Alabama, but of course that's a football centric school....ya think?
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... head-coach

Quinnipiac is hiring Villanova Associate Head Coach Baker Dunleavy (son of Mike Dunleavy) as their head coach
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's a fair list, Shaolin. I'd drop Smart because he's not leaving Texas, move Cronin above Hurley and move Crean above Amaker, but that looks about right.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:Good list, but I'd shake it up a little.....

I would put Amaker and Crean higher, and Cronin lower [I don't think he'd leave for a BE job]....and I'd take Shaka off the list and replace him with Ewing.

Shaka's not going anywhere for the short term....too soon and good grief, look what he's got at Texas in terms of money and resources.

1. Ewing 2. Amaker 3. Crean 4. Dan 5. Cronin ......Cooley, for the above reasons stated by Swat, and Smart....out.

104, the folks at Dayton seem to want Grant....not sure about him, he did nothing at Alabama, but of course that's a football centric school....ya think?
Cronin's probably isn't likely, but I believe he was close to going to UNLV last year. If he was willing to go to the Mountain West Conference (assuming it wasn't for leverage purposes), then I've got to assume that he would be willing to go to the Big East. I simply mentioned him because that would be one of my first calls.

I had Crean lower just because of the sell to the fan base. Georgetown is a great job, I think it'd be tough to say the guy who just got fired is the best candidate for that job.

I like Amaker, I just think that the other guys are better candidates than him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Looking at the college coaching landscape (particularly in the northeast) and what is happening with UMass and Duquesne, I do not think this is a year you want to be hiring. There does not seem to be a lot of up and coming obvious candidates for A-10 jobs and the fact there presently are three openings (four if you count GW which has not officially made Joseph permanent yet) in the league makes filling the position even more difficult.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Looking at the college coaching landscape (particularly in the northeast) and what is happening with UMass and Duquesne, I do not think this is a year you want to be hiring. There does not seem to be a lot of up and coming obvious candidates for A-10 jobs and the fact there presently are three openings (four if you count GW which has not officially made Joseph permanent yet) in the league makes filling the position even more difficult.
Yet another reason I hope we don't have fill ours.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... head-coach

Quinnipiac is hiring Villanova Associate Head Coach Baker Dunleavy (son of Mike Dunleavy) as their head coach
I like it.

Another guy I like that isn't getting a ton of mention for any jobs out there is Mt. St. Mary's HC Jamion Christian. I don't think he is quite ready for a Georgetown-level gig yet, but he is due for a promotion. His career has kind of circled around that DMV area, which is one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country; he has very good experience as an assistant (Shaka at VCU); he has brought Mt. St. Mary's to the tournament twice, and he is still one of the youngest (read: up-and-coming) head coaches in the country at 34 years old.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Dan did end up becoming the coach at Georgetown, he would have the opportunity to work in the shadow of two larger than life father figures - his own father Bob and the father of Hoya Hoops - John Thompson II.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

ramster wrote:
Giovanni,
Today, who would be your top 5 candidates, in order of priority, for the Georgetown Position if you were the AD?
You seem to like to propose this question to people, as if you have the answer.

What's yours?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

TruePoint wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... head-coach

I like it.

Another guy I like that isn't getting a ton of mention for any jobs out there is Mt. St. Mary's HC Jamion Christian. I don't think he is quite ready for a Georgetown-level gig yet, but he is due for a promotion. His career has kind of circled around that DMV area, which is one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country; he has very good experience as an assistant (Shaka at VCU); he has brought Mt. St. Mary's to the tournament twice, and he is still one of the youngest (read: up-and-coming) head coaches in the country at 34 years old.
I agree on Christian and if I were Georgetown I would be very tempted.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

the_one_mike wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:That's the reality of the situation though. If things continued on the trend they were after Dayton and Fordham then he'd look like one of the biggest sham coaches in NCAA basketball. I think his dad recognized that and made a concerted effort to help down the stretch... Thank goodness.

The fact of the matter is this team underachieved until February and then turned it around a full 180 degrees. Around mid-season I stopped offering my extra season ticket to friends unfamiliar with URI basketball because I was worried their play would be so bad they'd walk away with a negative idea of our program. True story.

Whoever wrote that is spot on. Not to be a negative nancy because the season did end on a positive note... but the sentiment is 100% correct. Hurley would be a suspect hire for a program like G'town.
In a world where Patrick Ewing is considered a viable candidate, Dan Hurley would be a slam dunk for Georgetown. I don't care that he's a Georgetown legend, he has zero college coaching experience and he has no meaningful head coaching experience at any level. He's not qualified and yet he's in almost everyone's top three.
Dan Hurley has been coaching at the D1 level for less than a decade. He's not a long-tenured coach with a consistent track record... so comparing experience here is a minimal factor. That's why a historic program like Georgetown have him in their sights. Look at Chris Mullin. St. John's came knocking for Dan and ended up with a name-recognizable coach with zero experience. I'd say that has worked out fairly well for them thus far... The fact that Ewing has never been a head coach at the D1 level doesn't hold a lot of credence with me. He's an 11-time NBA all-star; that's the type of experience and leadership that is hard to come by in the NCAA.

Outside of experience, if you break it down to the eye test... only one of these two people have their own signature sneaker: Danny Hurley, Patrick Ewing. May sound silly, but that's the stuff that impresses a 16 year old kid. You're telling me that as a 16 year old kid, an offer from an NBA legend wouldn't catch more attention than one from the third best known Hurley? Even if Ewing stunk it up for 3 years and got fired, you better believe he would have attracted a whole lot of talent to set the stage for the next coach. Georgetown is definitely seeing it that way -- after the last few seasons they don't have much to lose with a name like Ewing, and everything to gain.

What's more important, the best players or a quality coach? I'll take the guy that can get me players and surround him with a staff that gets the job done. Obsessive basketball minds are dime a dozen. Patrick Ewings are not.
Before I respond to this post I have to ask, are you serious?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

the_one_mike wrote:
ramster wrote:
Giovanni,
What's yours?
1. Shaka Smart
2. Ed Cooley
3. Dan Hurley
4. Tommy Amaker
5. Tom Crean

I would not select Patrick Ewing but that is who I believe they will select
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

giovanni wrote:

From Casual Hoya blog:
No disrespect to the fine folks of Rhode Island, but there’s no comparison with the DMV when it comes to a recruiting area. Imagine Danny, a successful coach on the HS level and the son of one of the all-time greats, unleashed in these parts. There’s no need imagining whether he can turn a program around. Been there, done that.
Desirability rating: 8 out of 10
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
In a world where Patrick Ewing is considered a viable candidate, Dan Hurley would be a slam dunk for Georgetown. I don't care that he's a Georgetown legend, he has zero college coaching experience and he has no meaningful head coaching experience at any level. He's not qualified and yet he's in almost everyone's top three.
Dan Hurley has been coaching at the D1 level for less than a decade. He's not a long-tenured coach with a consistent track record... so comparing experience here is a minimal factor. That's why a historic program like Georgetown have him in their sights. Look at Chris Mullin. St. John's came knocking for Dan and ended up with a name-recognizable coach with zero experience. I'd say that has worked out fairly well for them thus far... The fact that Ewing has never been a head coach at the D1 level doesn't hold a lot of credence with me. He's an 11-time NBA all-star; that's the type of experience and leadership that is hard to come by in the NCAA.

Outside of experience, if you break it down to the eye test... only one of these two people have their own signature sneaker: Danny Hurley, Patrick Ewing. May sound silly, but that's the stuff that impresses a 16 year old kid. You're telling me that as a 16 year old kid, an offer from an NBA legend wouldn't catch more attention than one from the third best known Hurley? Even if Ewing stunk it up for 3 years and got fired, you better believe he would have attracted a whole lot of talent to set the stage for the next coach. Georgetown is definitely seeing it that way -- after the last few seasons they don't have much to lose with a name like Ewing, and everything to gain.

What's more important, the best players or a quality coach? I'll take the guy that can get me players and surround him with a staff that gets the job done. Obsessive basketball minds are dime a dozen. Patrick Ewings are not.
What about it seems as if it isn't? Do you know more than Georgetown? Is that why they're targeting him and you think it's a bad idea? You should give them a call, they could hire a genius like you!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

the_one_mike wrote:
ramster wrote:
Giovanni,

What's yours?

I propose the question? I do? I'll read my post again. Think its fairly clear. Did I mention any names or lists I want for Georgetown? Did I ask someone who the best choices are for any school? I missed that, if I did point it out to me. I could give a rats ass what Georgetowns AD or fans list may be. If it is Dan, and he wants the job, there is very little anyone of this board could do to stop it. I simply said this was the Georgetown's fans opinion. I would assume a little more tuned in to the program than any of us. And cited those names as some I have read as mentioned as potential candidates. I don't think it was unreasonable for the poster to have that opinion. Maybe there are some who would have Danny on the top of their lists at Georgetown. Maybe the AD does, I don't know. I understand on this board, if Coach K retired tomorrow, there would be some who would have Dan on the next flight to Durham. Again, not real difficult to figure out. This fan and I am sure others, is of the opinion he would not be his top choice. I don't think that is unreasonable or any type of swipe at Dan. He seems to want someone with more history or a different background. Maybe he would have Brad Stevens on the top of his list which would be totally unreasonable, but his list. I am sure there are many differing opinions among their fans as was here or on any board when there is a coaching change. Maybe Dan will turn out to dwarf any accomplishments of the names mentioned. But that remains to be seen. Georgetown may very well be considering someone who hasn't been mentioned. I wouldn't know. But with the names mentioned, Miller before he took Indiana, Smart, Cooley, I would have to disagree with anyone that thinks Dan has a better resume and would clearly be a better choice. There is also more that goes into a coaching search and selection as with any job. More than simply wins and losses. Again, I really don't understand how anything could be construed as negative towards Dan. It seems as if you say anything about Dan, even not being a top choice of a school, it gets twisted into anti Dan post, a negative or hate post.. Doesn't mean I want him gone or I think he is doing a bad job, or he would be a bad choice for Georgetown or any program as their new coach. Simply a comment of that Hoya poster's opinion. If Georgetown had 3 top candidates. Coach K, Billy Donovan and Dan Hurley? If I said Dan would be 3rd on my list in that case, is that in anyway saying something bad about Dan or indicating I think he is not a good coach?
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

giovanni wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
ramster wrote:
Giovanni,

What's yours?

I propose the question? I do? I'll read my post again. Think its fairly clear. Did I mention any names or lists I want for Georgetown? Did I ask someone who the best choices are for any school? I missed that, if I did point it out to me. I could give a rats ass what Georgetowns AD or fans list may be. If it is Dan, and he wants the job, there is very little anyone of this board could do to stop it. I simply said this was the Georgetown's fans opinion. I would assume a little more tuned in to the program than any of us. And cited those names as some I have read as mentioned as potential candidates. I don't think it was unreasonable for the poster to have that opinion. Maybe there are some who would have Danny on the top of their lists at Georgetown. Maybe the AD does, I don't know. I understand on this board, if Coach K retired tomorrow, there would be some who would have Dan on the next flight to Durham. Again, not real difficult to figure out. This fan and I am sure others, is of the opinion he would not be his top choice. I don't think that is unreasonable or any type of swipe at Dan. He seems to want someone with more history or a different background. Maybe he would have Brad Stevens on the top of his list which would be totally unreasonable, but his list. I am sure there are many differing opinions among their fans as was here or on any board when there is a coaching change. Maybe Dan will turn out to dwarf any accomplishments of the names mentioned. But that remains to be seen. Georgetown may very well be considering someone who hasn't been mentioned. I wouldn't know. But with the names mentioned, Miller before he took Indiana, Smart, Cooley, I would have to disagree with anyone that thinks Dan has a better resume and would clearly be a better choice. There is also more that goes into a coaching search and selection as with any job. More than simply wins and losses. Again, I really don't understand how anything could be construed as negative towards Dan. It seems as if you say anything about Dan, even not being a top choice of a school, it gets twisted into anti Dan post, a negative or hate post.. Doesn't mean I want him gone or I think he is doing a bad job, or he would be a bad choice for Georgetown or any program as their new coach. Simply a comment of that Hoya poster's opinion. If Georgetown had 3 top candidates. Coach K, Billy Donovan and Dan Hurley? If I said Dan would be 3rd on my list in that case, is that in anyway saying something bad about Dan or indicating I think he is not a good coach?
I was essentially agreeing with you. Look at the quote. I didn't quote you. I quoted ramster who seems to ask that question of every single person that doesn't agree with Hurley being the leading candidate to go to Georgetown. It appeared to me to be an attempt to trivialize people's opinion by questioning what their "list" of candidates is.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

the_one_mike wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

What about it seems as if it isn't? Do you know more than Georgetown? Is that why they're targeting him and you think it's a bad idea? You should give them a call, they could hire a genius like you!
Only if he has his own signature sneaker though.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

From Casual Hoya blog:
No disrespect to the fine folks of Rhode Island, but there’s no comparison with the DMV when it comes to a recruiting area. Imagine Danny, a successful coach on the HS level and the son of one of the all-time greats, unleashed in these parts. There’s no need imagining whether he can turn a program around. Been there, done that.
Desirability rating: 8 out of 10
Regarding recruiting, even more so if Cox goes with him.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

SmartyBarrett wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Only if he has his own signature sneaker though.
You have a Simpsons avatar, so how about this for some duality...

We can call his shoe the, "Air Homer" :lol:
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

"From Casual Hoya blog:
Desirability rating: 8 out of 10"

Ok that is fine, another posters opinion, a different one. Because its a very positive Dan post, it automatically becomes fact, is that correct? I am sure there are multiple opinions about the direction their program should go. I missed it, was this the AD, John Thompson, someone inside the program posting this? If not, it is another man's opinion, we all have them.It doesn't necessarily make them all right , make them all wrong or make one any better than the other posters opinion or those of anyone else who may oppose Dan as their choice. We all have differing opinions on players and other coaches. That's the way it is. Not everyone is always right or always wrong.
Iggy or anyone, again I may have missed where I wrote something negative about Dan. If I did, I don't recall or see it. Please point it out to me.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If I am Georgetown and can't find Billy Donovan-esque coach on the rise and nothing looks great? I double down on my own legacy and hire Patrick Ewing.

Put Ewing out there and hire expensive recruiter assistants. Orlando Antigua was just dismissed. There is 1 big recruiter. Throw in a Dave Cox and maybe one other coach that can both contribute to development, coaching, and recruiting and they are fine.

They have the '84 national title. You're talking over 30 years since the title and over 10 since the last Final Four.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Gio: You posted a comment from steviestuds and I can't post one from Casual Hoya blog?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

the_one_mike wrote:
giovanni wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

What's yours?

I was essentially agreeing with you. Look at the quote. I didn't quote you. I quoted ramster who seems to ask that question of every single person that doesn't agree with Hurley being the leading candidate to go to Georgetown. It appeared to me to be an attempt to trivialize people's opinion by questioning what their "list" of candidates is.
One_Mile_Mike,

You asked me who my top 5 were, I answered. Hurley is my 3rd pick, not first, so doesn't that go against what you just said about me? I would go with Shaka Smart first, then Ed Cooley, then Dan Hurley, Tommy
In no way was it an attempt to trivialize Giovanni's opinion. I wanted to know who his Top 5 were. There are no right or wrong answers, it's all simple speculation until the decision comes out this week.
As I said,
1. Shaka Smart
2. Ed Cooley
3. Dan Hurley
4. Tommy Amaker
5. Tom Crean
As I said, I would not pick Patrick Ewing for a lot of reasons, but I believe Georgetown will pick him. Sounds like he is your choice as well.

You joined the board 1 day ago and already have 34 posts and counting. Probably an all time record. Now go back to stirring the pot on your first day here. :roll: :roll:
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do we know if Gtown has contacted anybody about the job yet ??
0 x