The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Dayton was working on an extension with Archie Miller.
Didn't mean anything when the big money job
came calling.
Our late season run was great, but Thorr needs to
be careful not overreact and do a Petro, creating a CFL situation.

See a post like this is why people make previous dot connections that you've been a wart on this program's fanbase. If DH decided this place was his St Anthony's we should feel lucky. Hurley is not JB. Hurley has an unsettling amount of fire in him to win. Baron made ur seem like that was the case, but never made it happen. He would've been gone by 06 if it wasn't for Junior... Danny gives himself borderline ulcerous colitis (spl) when he doesn't win... honestly Rod you sound like a dip when you make these comments.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

steviep123 wrote:Getting back to coaching vacancies, if I'm Dayton and I want to hire an assistant, I give serious thought to either Preston Murphy, or Luke Murray. Two good up coming coaches that will get a HC job sometime soon. Those would be my top 2 choices should Hurley leave and they go the assistant root, so in effect, Dayton could potentially steal a future coach from a rival.
Luke Murray is a hot commodity right now. Still sad I never got a photo with Bill before he left :lol:

Who do you think ends up landing HC over there? Internal hire?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steviep123 wrote:Getting back to coaching vacancies, if I'm Dayton and I want to hire an assistant, I give serious thought to either Preston Murphy, or Luke Murray. Two good up coming coaches that will get a HC job sometime soon. Those would be my top 2 choices should Hurley leave and they go the assistant root, so in effect, Dayton could potentially steal a future coach from a rival.
......just asking, Luke?.....what is his resume??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Let me first say that I love and respect both Preston Murphy and Luke Murray. I also believe they both have very bright futures ahead of them.

Having said that, there is zero chance Dayton, URI, or any other NCAA tournament worthy team will hire Preston Murphy or Luke Murray until they first prove themselves as a Head Coach at a lower mid-major/low major program.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RoadyJay wrote:Let me first say that I love and respect both Preston Murphy and Luke Murray. I also believe they both have very bright futures ahead of them.

Having said that, there is zero chance Dayton, URI, or any other NCAA tournament worthy team will hire Preston Murphy or Luke Murray until they first prove themselves as a Head Coach at a lower mid-major/low major program.
Exactly. There is an order to this stuff, and there is an order to it for a reason.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

section(105) wrote:
......just asking, Luke?.....what is his resume??
To be honest, he's most notably Bill Murray's son. That's his "claim to fame," if you will.

But his basketball resume has grown exceedingly fast. Worked under Sean Miller, assisted Hurley at Wagner, and was noted for some of the success at Towson before coming back to work under Hurley here for a couple years. Currently at Xavier under Chris Mack, so his stock is rising fast... Not quite head coach level yet but an offer coming in from a small school in the near future wouldn't surprise me at all.

EDIT: Not that he's the reason considering the decimating injury situation we were in all year, but URI had a significant drop off in his first season after leaving. If nothing else that is something that programs notice, injuries or not.
Last edited by the_one_mike 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I see stupid people.jpg
I see stupid people.jpg (9.3 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
Hey Northern Ram,
Go shit in a hat, rectum.
You don't like what I say,
too fucking bad.
Pretty sure I know who you are.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I feel more and more confident DH is our coach next year. I am happy about that
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Dayton was working on an extension with Archie Miller.
Didn't mean anything when the big money job
came calling.
Our late season run was great, but Thorr needs to
be careful not overreact and do a Petro, creating a CFL situation.
Rod, I have never seen a person have a negative response to good news as much as you do.
Your thought on a Hurley extension leads to be careful not to create a CFL situation.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So what?
Let me get the pom poms out and stop thinking.
Maybe they had people like you and Northern at Dayton,
cheering the proposed Miller extension.
The reality is this is all based on a month of basketball.
Sorry if that gets some panties here in a wedge.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I would disagree re PM

I'd be 100% all in.

He'd need to try to keep ARD and hire a experienced Penders/Harrick/Skinner type associate HC.

But he's our guy, unquestionable integrity and character and his ascension would likely eliminate any roster losses.

He's a proven beast recruiter and would be taking over a dialed in club.

I don't believe we would skip a beat.

Further I do believe DH did a brilliant job turning this group around. Maybe it was only a month but it was epic.

He deserves to be at the top of the coaching hot list. I would like to try and keep him another season in hopes he could duplicate this remarkable job.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

I wouldn't go that far. I think the Hurley network reaches further than you're giving it credit for. Preston is great, and a legend in Kingston... but he's not even close to that level. Hurley has mostly had a rough go of the last couple seasons even WITH all his resources. Preston is great, but not for this level of program.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rod, it appears you are saying an extension doesn't prevent Hurley from leaving and then you are saying don't give Hurley too many extensions because you could end up with a crappy coach in a long term contract. Do you want Hurley to stay or go? Do you suggest they don't give him an extension? On the recruiting thread you stated he doesn't even know the right approach to recruiting.

Any other positive thoughts after an A10 Championship and great showing in the NCAA tournament. I know they only won 9 games in a row.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guess you missed a ton of posts that were positive on the
team.
I love the mindset here ,that any comments that are
seen as less than gushing, are considered treason.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rod, you still haven't clarified your comment saying you hope Thorr doesn't create a Baron situation by giving Hurley another extension...??

Hurley made the tournament, Baron didn't, so that comment makes zero sense.

And don't worry, I won't tell you to go shit in a hat, or call you a rectum or anything outrageous, like you do towards anyone who disagrees with you.

Jesus man, it's only a basketball message board...
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Preston Murphy has been assistant at this level for 7 years. 4 here, 1 at BC and 2 at Creighton. If Hurley were to leave, he's my first choice, especially over other assistants. He knows the program and is a great recruiter. He's going to make a great HC some day and loves it here.

That said, I'd love to see DH here at least a couple more years.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Right now the only place Preston is a candidate for a Div 1 HC job is on this message board. How about we let at least 1 AD consider him ready for that position, before we anoint him as our next in line.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I feel like people don't understand how good it is for Dan's name to be out in high profile coaching searches.

It does not benefit to Dan, our program, or our recruiting efforts to immediately shut down rumors and stop the free national press from telling everyone how good our coach is and how worthy of a candidate he would be for a job.

Shaka, Archie, Gregg Marshall etc all had their names out there and it didn't hurt recruiting or anything. It provides the coach and athletic department an opportunity to get as much as they can from the budget for the program as possible.

If Dan comes out immediately and says..."hey! I'm never leaving I'm happy here!" Do you think Dooley says "OK great here's everything you need for your team...let me know if there's anything else buddy!"

That's not how this works. You need leverage in any negotiation and if Dan wants a bigger budget for charters, improvements, assistant coaching pools...he will need that leverage. You also need the public to believe the coach who finally brought this program from the dark ages could go at any moment to get any budget increases passed without a fight.

If you are a fan of a school that isn't a blue blood with a hall of famer on the sidelines and your coach isn't brought up for big coaching vacancies, your coach sucks.

Jim Baron never had this. Not even once. Jim Baron also never had a preseason ranking. Never had a ranked win. Never had a tournament birth. Never had a tournament win. He had 11 years.

Dan Hurley could get an 11 year extension right now and deserve it. You're blindly hating if you don't think so.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

rodfromcranston wrote:I see stupid people.jpgHey Northern Ram,
Go shit in a hat, rectum.
You don't like what I say,
too fucking bad.
Pretty sure I know who you are.

Account is a shared account, but you know all... rightttt
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Totally agree with BAR and Rhody Jay as it pertains to Preston and Luke Murray.
I am also happy to see that a few others are getting tired of Rod and his negative comments.
I give him credit as a Rhody historian but that is IT!!!!!!!
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

WTF is a "shared account"???????????????
I don't hide behind a keyboard.
Maybe you should ask Thorr, Don Kaull, Bob Terino, or Chris Disano, if I'm
such a horrid blight on the fanbase.
Maybe you should read the thread when I was in the hospital,
and comments by some who know me.
Rhody 15, guess you missed the names Northern called me, right?
Somebody wants to start crap with me, I'm
not going to lie down and take it.
BM, CFL was up for the VATech job, which lead to his insane extension.
Dan has had two (or is it three?) extensions based on rumors of him possible leaving.
He got us to the tournament, and won a game in the NCAAs.
All great.
We've had five coaches before him, do the same.
I don't recall any of them getting an extension for doing so.
Isn't this what he was hired to do? Isn't this what he promised to do?
BAR, why the snark on Preston? Our mutual friend would
greatly disagree with you.
Eli, you're still a sicko troll, who adds nothing to this forum.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think our own Coach Cox is closer to getting any kind of head coaching job than Preston or Luke right now.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why? He was fired by Rutgers.
Preston was never fired anywhere.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No snark on Preston at all, liked him as a player and like him as a person, just don't think he's ready yet. I'd argue that no one in the profession does either because I do not believe he has been offered an HC opp yet?
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

You're clearly a pessimist, people are tired of your negative outlook on things. I would hope that people on this board would be compassionate to anyone when they're health is in danger or gravely ill. I don't plan on speaking to any of the people you've referenced because my life goes on when I leave this website. A shared account means more than one person has the email and password for this account... both of us are deeply tied into the program. All the best Rod, I hope you find happiness, I truly do, but I must say the way your brain connects Coach Baron and Coach Hurley scares me to think you dont want Hurley here. That you don't want success for the program. Most of the time contract extensions happen to add a year, but also adjust and enhance the other terms of the coaches contract... like adding a practice facility in Tootell or having all road games chartered so the kids can be well rested and in class the next day... or imagine this increasing the buy game money so we can actually get Top 50 teams into the Ryan... but keep up the negativity... that works
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote:Right now the only place Preston is a candidate for a Div 1 HC job is on this message board. How about we let at least 1 AD consider him ready for that position, before we anoint him as our next in line.
Yep. Definite homer mentality -- but if there were a place that'd give him a shot, we'd certainly be it.
Blue Man wrote:I feel like people don't understand how good it is for Dan's name to be out in high profile coaching searches.

It does not benefit to Dan, our program, or our recruiting efforts to immediately shut down rumors and stop the free national press from telling everyone how good our coach is and how worthy of a candidate he would be for a job.

Shaka, Archie, Gregg Marshall etc all had their names out there and it didn't hurt recruiting or anything. It provides the coach and athletic department an opportunity to get as much as they can from the budget for the program as possible.

If Dan comes out immediately and says..."hey! I'm never leaving I'm happy here!" Do you think Dooley says "OK great here's everything you need for your team...let me know if there's anything else buddy!"

That's not how this works. You need leverage in any negotiation and if Dan wants a bigger budget for charters, improvements, assistant coaching pools...he will need that leverage. You also need the public to believe the coach who finally brought this program from the dark ages could go at any moment to get any budget increases passed without a fight.

If you are a fan of a school that isn't a blue blood with a hall of famer on the sidelines and your coach isn't brought up for big coaching vacancies, your coach sucks.

Jim Baron never had this. Not even once. Jim Baron also never had a preseason ranking. Never had a ranked win. Never had a tournament birth. Never had a tournament win. He had 11 years.

Dan Hurley could get an 11 year extension right now and deserve it. You're blindly hating if you don't think so.
This can't be said enough. Hurley is smart and comes from a family background that not only knows the system -- they kinda helped construct it. He's playing the game. Hurley entertaining his options is doing nothing but expediting the process building our program. He's forcing the hand of the school administration to deliver on continued growth.

If Hurley left right now, the program would be in a better position than when he came here. The same could never be said of Jim Baron. He did quite the opposite... Took us from a prior decade that saw 4 NCAA appearances and two sweet 16s to a decade straight without a berth. After the way this season ended that comparison is officially preposterous.

That said, there's room for cautious optimism. Without that run at the end of the year who knows what "sky is falling" mentality would be running rampant here.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

URI probably received north of $50MM in FREE media exposure from March 1st to today. You can thank Dan and our players for that.
6 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I think our own Coach Cox is closer to getting any kind of head coaching job than Preston or Luke right now.
This to me seems like the best way to keep the roster intact as well as any recruiting momentum. He was mad on Daron so he wouldn't leave and all the players love Cox. Also as others have noted before, Cox makes A LOT of the decisions during games and seems to be Hurley's most trusted assistant. Not sure Thorr would make this decision but I certainly wouldn't be upset.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

It's early BAR Preston will get offers....

If Hurley decides to stay I hope he doesn't - I'd like to keep PM right where he is learning more from a great coach so we can snag him when Dan does go.

Good times we are in a much different place from CFL!

16/17 club ended up epic! Where do we think our end of season ranking ends up! As the Ducks waddle on it has to be going up!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

As far as Preston, he is worthy of consideration for a HC job. Certainly one here if ever needed. If Dan ever left, he should definitely be in the mix. Certainly a guy that would want to be here. You cannot underestimate that quality either. Frank Martin was coaching hs originally and worked his way to an assistant before he got his first head coaching joh. Chris Mack was a career assistant, Calipari was an assitant for a short time before he was given a break. Izzo Chris Holtmann, TOM IZZO, the Miller brothers......where are the hc jobs they came from? Especially at our level. Who are we North Carolina? Preston has a major connection here, not like any other assistant. Maybe you would think if he was suited to be a HC it would be at a lower level to begin. I disagree. Again, not getting into Dan leaving, but Preston is primed for an opportunity. His recruiting connections and his work ethic are nothing less than outstanding. He's worked for Skinner, Hurley, Mc Dermott, 3 solid coaches all with different backgrounds and approaches. Valuable. Luke Murray, is Bill Murrays kid. Maybe some day, but not here. Not to mention if we at some point need a new coach, we don't have 3 million to toss around for a "name" coach.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rodfromcranston wrote: We've had five coaches before him, do the same.
I don't recall any of them getting an extension for doing so.
Isn't this what he was hired to do? Isn't this what he promised to do?.
The landscape in college basketball has changed since our last coach took a team to the tournament.
There are plenty of mid major teams who extend their coaches' deals after making the tournament.
It is also helps in recruiting.

Based on what I have read and heard in audio, I expect the following to come out of this new deal - 1 year extension for Dan, pay bump in extension year (no pay bump for 17/18 above already agreed upon increase), increase in Ast Coach pay, charter flights for away games, increase in Dan's buyout.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All reasonable, and in no way approaches the CFL scenario.

Since this is the coaching thread,
Glenn Miller was just fired by Kevin Ollie, in a stunner.
Miller has been an assistant for 14 years at UConn.
Part of NCAA champs under Calhoun and Ollie.
He was Brown's most successful coach.
Went to Penn, had a great first season NCAAs, and
something happened, and he was let go mid season
in his 4th year.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RoadyJay wrote:Let me first say that I love and respect both Preston Murphy and Luke Murray. I also believe they both have very bright futures ahead of them.

I don't know about that. Sean Miller, Archie Miller and Chris Mack have all gone from assistant coach to a pretty good team and those are the guys I know off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

We're in the A10 and not a national powerhouse. It's probably going to be somewhat of a gamble no matter who we hire if Hurley leaves in the near future.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

First let me start by saying that I hope Hurley is here for at least a few more years. But if he goes then I think Murphy, Cox, and Murray will be good options.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Blue Man wrote:I feel like people don't understand how good it is for Dan's name to be out in high profile coaching searches.

A month ago pissing the pot vs. Fordham and Dayton. people were ready for Hurley to take a long walk off a short cliff. Now he's deserving of an 11-year extension?
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Cooley was asked about the Georgetown job here.

0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

For a program like ours I would still like to see ard and pm get their start at a low expectation team with little or no legacy.A meteoric rise there could bring enthusiasm when they get here instead of a wait and see type of atmosphere.Think how lucky Fairfield,Wagner and Buffalo got in the last ten years.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That's all that I was getting at.
Everyone needs to take a step back and take a deep breath.
Instead, it's the knee-jerk, "let's run out and make him king".
I'd like to see us win consistently before going the coach for life route.
An extension similar to the others he's gotten, fine.
An ad infinitum extension? No way.

I'd like to see Preston get a lower D-1 job, too.
I've asked him about it, and he doesn't appear to be
too gung ho about the idea.
He does say the URI job is his dream.
Who knows?
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Cooley was asked about the Georgetown job here.

Cooley's answer didn't seem too convincing that he wouldn't consider the job if asked. Do the best "while" you're here.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I've said it multiple times.....

Cooley to GTown is a no brainer. Why would he not be at the top of their search list?

Head deep in the sand if you don't think so. Flat out great coach/recruiter to a National Championship program located in the heart of recruiting central.

GTown immediate NCAA monster. Big East favorite nearly every year. Worth $4M annual no doubt.

$4M a year and in the top 10 boo me all day in the DDC who cares?

DH is not even close to having the resume Cooley has. They are not getting S Smart away from UT Austin not happening.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Careful, hrstrat57.
You may be called a closet PC fan
for that next to last sentence!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

For those that are saying people need to slow down being excited about a possible extension, can you point to a single post saying he should get a king for life type deal? Can you point to a single post saying he should get an extra five years tacked on to his deal? After getting the team to the tournament do you think he shouldn't get at least a year tacked on and some extra money/perks? Can't we be happy that the athletic department is being proactive with the coach that gave us our greatest success in almost two decades? Shouldn't we wait until terms are announced to think there's anything bad here?
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, Blueman wants it extended 11 years or something.
Go back and read the post.
As I said, an extension similar to the other Dan got is
fine.
When he gets us to a few more, by all means,
take it to the limit.
That said, I suggest you look at other coaches, who signed extensions,
and left, anyway.
It happens all the time.
If you think that anchors anyone down, it doesn't.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Careful, hrstrat57.
You may be called a closet PC fan
for that next to last sentence!
That my friend is highly unlikely.....

:lol:
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't think it anchors Hurley here, but it is certainly better for us if an extension gets done. It further shrinks the pool of schools that he'll leave for, it will give our program new and better perks which helps us compete at a higher level and it most likely means we get extra money if another school takes him which lets the train keep rolling. And we've both seen times when the athletic department wasn't this aggressive and proactive. I don't see how anyone can view today's news as anything other than positive.
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the idea of 1 year added on as well as other enhancements

This is all well and nice but if GT really wants DH they can get him
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

A month ago pissing the pot vs. Fordham and Dayton. people were ready for Hurley to take a long walk off a short cliff. Now he's deserving of an 11-year extension?
Yeah I wasn't one of those people.

Your life seems like it sucks enough where you can go read all my posts on the subject and let me know where I wrote it.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think Blueman was using an exaggeration to make a point. He said Hurley COULD get an 11 year extension right now and deserve it. If you have spent any time on this board you know the Blueman expresses himself emotionally. I guess it is ok when you agree with his point but not ok when you don't.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

Yeah I wasn't one of those people.

Your life seems like it sucks enough where you can go read all my posts on the subject and let me know where I wrote it.

Blue Man,
This is what you wrote a few hours ago, at the end of your commentary. Maybe you meant to type "1" instead of "11"? Or maybe you were just making a point of emphasis but this is what got some here riled up about. For me it does not matter since he is making $1 million and is worth much, much more seeing Wade get $22 million and Miller get $28 million over 7 years. If DH wants to go he can easily get big money since these 3 are the best HC Candidates the A10 has right now in my opinion

"Dan Hurley could get an 11 year extension right now and deserve it. You're blindly hating if you don't think so."
0 x