The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by theblueram »

I hear LaVar Ball can coach better than Popovich.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Bummer for Dayton and the A10 but overall I'm happy for Miller, stayed with Dayton longer than most probably expected and held out for a true blue blood coaching job. Hopefully Hurley does the same if he eventually leaves.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Dayton is a very good job. Great fan base, history, so on. Wonder what type of candidates they will attract. Miller brothers now hold 2 of the most prestigious jobs in college basketball.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is the blueprint for A10 coaches, which Will Wade was too impatient to follow. Stay put, build a program, and wait for a premium job. Any job with resources is not premium; a premium job is one where you can answer "yes" to the question "if things go right, can I win a national championship here?" and Archie Miller can say "yes."
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

class of 86 wrote:Dukes and Mass may have to settle for skinner
Maybe they can work on a plan to share him?
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

giovanni wrote:

This is the polar opposite of what that snake Will Wade did... Archie Miller is the definition of a class act.. Very happy for him, he definitely earned this.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

With VCU and Dayton both losing head coaches and with some of the other teams in upheaval within the A10 this could be a great opportunity for URI to string a few tourney bids together these next few years.
1 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

A10 is getting worse every year. Will we ever be a 4-bid league again?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

860_rhody wrote:A10 is getting worse every year. Will we ever be a 4-bid league again?

Not if current trends both inside and outside the league continue.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Things over the course of 10 years went crazy.

Not the league it was.

Have to hope we can stay at the top but other programs can recapture some of the success they have enjoyed.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I like Archie and no one can blame him for taking the IU job. Timing does suck though that he leaves Dayton with the core all graduating at the same time. Had friends ask me about Hurley leaving and I said I was more worried about next year when there is going to major roster upheaval. We need him to stay through the 2018 recruiting class. hopefully boheim stays a few more years!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think the roster upheaval is a big reason Archie is cashing out now, to the tune of $4 million a year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Skinner might be the perfect man for Duquesne. He knows how to win without support. Did it at both URI and BC.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

The A-10 will be fine. VCU is on their 4th coach now in 10 years and they continue to thrive. We've seen some great coaches go on to bigger programs and that won't stop. The only ones that come to mind that didn't leave was Cheney and Martelli. They must of had offers with all their success, right?
2 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Just took a look at the dayton message board, a bit of panic over there in terms of what this means for their incoming recruiting class ...that could have a big impact in the next 1-2 yrs if they go elsewhere.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Keaney_Blue wrote:The A-10 will be fine. VCU is on their 4th coach now in 10 years and they continue to thrive. We've seen some great coaches go on to bigger programs and that won't stop. The only ones that come to mind that didn't leave was Cheney and Martelli. They must of had offers with all their success, right?
Agreed. Coaches and programs come and go. The A10 carries on.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

I hate to see this but I do understand where Miller is probably frustrated as i am with the amount of favoritism shown to the P5 teams in the tourney. Does anyone else find it ironic that Dayton and Wichita got matched up in the first round . Two teams that have knocked off p5 schools with regularity. Also how about Villanova was the number one seed in the whole tournament yet gets placed in the toughest bracket according to many. You would never see a non P5 school get the break seven seed South Carolina got playing the first two rounds in their home state. I was used to NC and Duke always playing in North Carolina if this is going to happen with even other lower seeded p5 schools now the mid majors are at a huge disadvantage.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not to mention Gonzaga-Xavier, which will KO
one non P% school.
On the other hand, it guarantees one non P5
school in the Final Four.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Fantastic hire for IU. Archie will win there no doubt. Can't help but be happy for him. As tough it is for Dayton and the A10.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Keaney_Blue wrote:The A-10 will be fine. VCU is on their 4th coach now in 10 years and they continue to thrive. We've seen some great coaches go on to bigger programs and that won't stop. The only ones that come to mind that didn't leave was Cheney and Martelli. They must of had offers with all their success, right?
I agree. I guess in the short term it isn't ideal to lose a great coach from the league, but losing coaches to programs like Indiana will help the league continue bring in the next crop of future-star coaches. That is what the league is - it doesn't have cash to be a final destination league, but it can thrive as a proving ground for coaches in the way up.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

theblueram wrote:I hear LaVar Ball can coach better than Popovich.
He could also throw a football over them mountains
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Guys a heckuva coach. Indiana, though they may be considered fairly irrelevant since shortly after Knight left, are still a elite and premier program. Everything surrounding Hoosiers. He left with a core group of seniors yes, but it's not like he left for NC St or LSU simply because more money and power 5. At Indiana, certainly a lot of pressure and expectations, but also a lot more money and a definite chance to compete for a national title. I believe he played it well. Had the premier program in A 10 on all fronts, comfortable. But, with an opportunity at an elite program and arguabley one of the best jobs in college hoops,he made the leap. I can't see how anyone could get down on him for that. Logical move. A10 will go on. They will hire new coaches and still have good programs, it always has. Obviously it stinks to see a coach of his caliber leave, but it is what it is. I think Rams were primed for a move to one of A 10 signature schools anyway. Regardless of the departures of Wade and Miller. It certainly may assist in that possibility, but I think it would happen anyway.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Take this for whatever you want.

Spoke with someone (thats very credible) last night about Hurley. I was told he has had conversations with Georgetown and while he hasn't been offered the position, if he is offered, he's going to accept. Sounded to me as if Hurley may not be their top target.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

These A-10 coaching changes are going to hurt the league with regards to team performance in the RPI and postseason bids. It has been getting increasingly difficult to make either the NCAA or even NIT from the league (see below). These changes will not help matters for at large bids. If VCU and Dayton move down, where are the big conference win opportunities coming from? Was this downward trend for the A-10 and increasing allure of power conference teams a contributing factor to Wade and Miller's moves?

A-10 NCAA & NIT PARTICIPATION
2016/17 NCAA-3 NIT-1
2015/16 NCAA-3 NIT-3
2014-15 NCAA-3 NIT-3
2013-14 NCAA-6 NIT-0
2012/13 NCAA-5 NIT-3
2011/12 NCAA-4 NIT-4
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Wonder if Kelsey may have turned down UMASS, not because of possile Xavier offer, but maybe Dayton. Would be ironic.

Dont think Dan could be Hoyas main target or in top 3. I like Dan, but I believe he will leave in a heartbeat for a school similar to Hoyas . Part of the business, but it would be nice to have a guy who really wants to be here, like a Cooley in Providence.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dre3000 wrote:Take this for whatever you want.

Spoke with someone (thats very credible) last night about Hurley. I was told he has had conversations with Georgetown and while he hasn't been offered the position, if he is offered, he's going to accept. Sounded to me as if Hurley may not be their top target.

That is not surprising considering he gave the Rutgers job some serious thought. URI just cannot compete with Georgetown and there is no chance he stays if offered. I however would think Georgetown will initially aim higher and I do think race will also be a factor. That would likely make Hurely more of a fall back candidate at this time. If they miss out on higher targets, they could eventually settle on him.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Respectively speaking, I don't think Hurley is having these conversations with anyone but his family. Just my opinion......
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Keaney_Blue wrote:

Respectively speaking, I don't think Hurley is having these conversations with anyone but his family. Just my opinion......
Maybe thats the case, I also highly doubt Georgetown has the least bit of interest in him , unless everything else falls through.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Have heard Dane Fife's name mentioned with Dayton, FWIW. Guy can coach. Former IU guy, and IPFW coach. I believe would be great hire if truly in the mix.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Keaney_Blue wrote:

Don't forget a certain roundtable discussion after the UMASS tourney loss last year. He's open with his staff on these matters and there's precedence to these type of talks.
0 x
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

giovanni wrote:
That would be a great hire.....
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

TruePoint wrote:
Maybe they can work on a plan to share him?
# they may have to
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:These A-10 coaching changes are going to hurt the league with regards to team performance in the RPI and postseason bids. It has been getting increasingly difficult to make either the NCAA or even NIT from the league (see below). These changes will not help matters for at large bids. If VCU and Dayton move down, where are the big conference win opportunities coming from? Was this downward trend for the A-10 and increasing allure of power conference teams a contributing factor to Wade and Miller's moves?

A-10 NCAA & NIT PARTICIPATION
2016/17 NCAA-3 NIT-1
2015/16 NCAA-3 NIT-3
2014-15 NCAA-3 NIT-3
2013-14 NCAA-6 NIT-0
2012/13 NCAA-5 NIT-3
2011/12 NCAA-4 NIT-4
You're suggesting that if the A10 got two more NIT bids this year that Archie would have turned down Indiana? lol

Look, this is the life cycle of the A10. It just so happens that the two most high profile jobs in the league came open at the same time. Those two programs are going to be fine. To cure the seeming downward trend you outline above, the issue is GW, Bonnies, Joes, us, UMass, Richmond, Davidson, SLU - some combination of these programs have to be up at the same time and they have to contribute to the success of the league by slaying some dragons during OOC. If that happens, the league's RPI opportunities in conference play will be fine, and the number of postseason teams will be fine. Maybe we will not frequently have 8 postseason teams and/or 6 NCAA teams in the same year, but I'd expect this past season to be more of aberration.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Seth Greenberg would be a terrible hire for UMass. 1 tournament bid in his last two head coaching gigs dating back to 1996-97.

I would no doubt hire Micah Shrewsberry over Greenberg. Has been coaching under Stevens with the Celtics since 2013.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Not sure where to put this, but the A 10 is really having terrible off season early.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Honestly, I don't think you need to talk to anyone to know this (maybe the part they've had conversations is news, if true, but I don't find that surprising either). But if they offer him the job he's going to take it. He'd be foolish not to. I also think it's pretty clear they have targeted people ahead of Dan, which is also understandable, but I actually think he'd be a good fit for them and if it gets to that, they'd be happy to offer him the job.
giovanni wrote:Maybe thats the case, I also highly doubt Georgetown has the least bit of interest in him , unless everything else falls through.
This is probably a little harsh. I'm sure they have "the least bit" of interest. I'm sure he is on their short list, and he should be. Whether they have one guy, or two guys or three guys ahead of him on that list, nobody knows.

Fingers crossed that there are more rather than less names in front of him, and that someone in front of him jumps on it. I think Dan still has unfinished business here that i'd like to see him accomplish, maybe not as far as items to check off but in terms of really establishing the program versus putting together a great 5 weeks. I dont want to root against him getting a career break from a personal standpoint, but as a URI fan and with allegiance to URI first and foremost, in hoping he's here for the medium term, at least.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I'd be interested in seeing a list of a-10 players/recruits lost this offseason.

I know Dukes lost a few already.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Georgetown message board is a waste of time.
Almost no speculation on replacing JTlll, but
more debate on his firing.
This day's subject is Michael Wilbon taking a shot at
Georgetown, asking if they think they're UCLA or Kentucky.
How dare they fire their coach for under-performing!
Whatever the case, Georgetown's administration is playing
it close to the vest.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If Dan stays we are going to be on top of the league.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:

Honestly, I don't think you need to talk to anyone to know this (maybe the part they've had conversations is news, if true, but I don't find that surprising either). But if they offer him the job he's going to take it. He'd be foolish not to. I also think it's pretty clear they have targeted people ahead of Dan, which is also understandable, but I actually think he'd be a good fit for them and if it gets to that, they'd be happy to offer him the job.
giovanni wrote:Maybe thats the case, I also highly doubt Georgetown has the least bit of interest in him , unless everything else falls through.
This is probably a little harsh. I'm sure they have "the least bit" of interest. I'm sure he is on their short list, and he should be. Whether they have one guy, or two guys or three guys ahead of him on that list, nobody knows.

Fingers crossed that there are more rather than less names in front of him, and that someone in front of him jumps on it. I think Dan still has unfinished business here that i'd like to see him accomplish, maybe not as far as items to check off but in terms of really establishing the program versus putting together a great 5 weeks. I dont want to root against him getting a career break from a personal standpoint, but as a URI fan and with allegiance to URI first and foremost, in hoping he's here for the medium term, at least.
Why is this unfair. It's not criticism of Dan is any sense. This is is big joh, well paid. Its great what we accomplished in last month of season and what he has done. But can you seriously say he has a great resume? Please be honest and take his last name out of conversation. Guy talks an incredible game. Had a good last 5 or 6 weeks, no doubt. We in Ram nation had a great run, I am not arguing. But if I am Gtown, a much diffferent level than LSU, Rutgers or NC St? is he the guy I want? C'mon. Ok he goes on to replicate coach K, or maybe more relevant Greg Marshall or Mark Few, ok. But that is a while away, if it can come close to happening ever.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote:Not sure where to put this, but the A 10 is really having terrible off season early.

The situation at Duquesne is going from pretty bad to very bad.

They lose three seniors:
D Lewis, Blackman, and Abrahamson

Three underclassmen are now asking for their release:
M Lewis (FR), Mike (FR), and Sanders (SO)

Blackman, M Lewis, and Mike were in their top four for minutes played (nearly 300 mins more than #5) as well as points scored.

Any coach that takes the Dukes job is looking at a total rebuild and will have to quickly replace a lot of players late in the recruiting cycle which usually does not net great results. It is also probable that some of their commited recruits may bail as well. It is one really bad situation and will further hurt attracting a decent coach.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Duquesne is going to be an RPI drain to say the least.. The administration is probably saying "this is what we get for announcing a $40 million investment in the bball program?" I worry this will cause the bball program to get the shaft as usual going forward since the results will fall WAY short of the investment in the foreseeable future.

Greenberg would probably win signing day, as he seems to be a good recruiter and his profile at ESPN recently will not hurt that...however he had done less with more quite often in his previous gigs. You couldn't spell Virginia Tech without "NIT".

Although he clearly misspelled his name if he wants the UMass job, Shrewsberry should be the guy. He's been with Brad Stevens since 2013 at the NBA level, and I would rather take the smarter basketball coach who can pick up recruiting on the fly rather than the other way around. Winning will beget better recruits. The only issue is if like his boss he is loving it at the professional level and would rather not coach in college.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gio, you put NC State in with Rutgers?
NC State has two NCAA championships,
a 26 NCAAs.
They have a 104 year winning percentage of .612.
Their facilities are top notch. They are in the ACC.
They just fired a coach who took them to 4 NCAAs
in 6 years!
Their tradition, facilities, and conference affiliation,
are all far above Georgetown.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/25/150 ... nny-hurley

78% voting in their polls are in favor of Hurley.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I just went there and was able to vote in the poll without an account or password....everyone should go vote
1 x