The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by giovanni »

Not sure its misleading at all. Doesn't mention his assistant coach experience which was fairly extensive, but had never run and actual program, let alone a big time program. Big difference actually being in charge. Not all good or great coaches were great players or coaches have been incredibly successful beforehand. Guys like this are absolute hungry and ambitious. I would rather have a guy like that than a recycled, tired guy. John Belein, one of top coaches in nation without a doubt. Doesn't get a lot of pub. Long journey started in hs. Juco, D 3. Now top level d 1 coach. Passion, work ethic, compassion for job and ability to relate to kids/people very important. X's and O's can be learned with attention to detail and work ethic. Just cause u were good player or played for excellent coach means little in most cases.
2 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

eli#10 wrote:Hey StevieP--don't believe for a second that Rooke is rooting for URI. He is a d-bag of epic proportions.

Rooke is Rooting for dh to leave so it will hurt uri on the recruiting trail.Typical fryerz bs like the nit game in providence civic center in the 1990s that was suppose to happen but didn't.How come no one talks about that anymore? Steve McDonald never trashes pc like too me does.I wish he would
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Mack isn't like Wade who had 2 years at VCU with Smart's recruits. Mack became HC at X in 2009. 8 years ago. He's had several recruiting classes of his own and led the transition from the A10 to the Big East.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1 wrote:There have been reports on the UMass forum that an official contract was not actually signed. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed with general details outlined. I believe that this is standard practice given the short amount of time with the hiring decision and the expectation is that the lawyers will soon follow it up with the detailed contract. Per the MOU definition below, they are not legally binding.

DEFINITION OF MOU
A memorandum of understanding (MOU or MoU) is a formal agreement between two or more parties. Companies and organizations can use MOUs to establish official partnerships.

MOUs are not legally binding but they carry a degree of seriousness and mutual respect, stronger than a gentlemen’s agreement. Often, MOUs are the first steps towards a legal contract. In US law, a memorandum of understanding is synonymous with a letter of intent (LOI), which is a non-binding written agreement that implies a binding contract is to follow.
AKA UMass and Kersey "Agreed in Principle", but nothing was formalized.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

John Rooke is not the enemy.
Yes, he's PC centric, but he's not anti-URI.
Not getting calling him names, like I've seen here.
What he tweeted was no different than what Zags tweeted.
Oh, and Steve McDonald is a PC grad.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:John Rooke is not the enemy.

Rooke is no friend of URI basketball. Never was, is, or will be. He is usually very dismissive of all things regarding Rhody hoops. Has in the past openly questioned whether PC should lower itself and play URI at the Ryan Center and indicated five years ago that Dan Hurley would never come to Kingston as the program was beneath him.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Have had several conversations with Cordischi over the years. I like the guy and think he knows his shit. I , too don't think Rooke, Scott , Kevin Mac are totally against URI. But when it come to URI or PC, it is definitely no competition. McNamara and Rooke in particular. Maybe dont' "hate URI, but really don't care for them. PC love and bias is actually pretty overwhelming
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:John Rooke is not the enemy.

Rooke is no friend of URI basketball. Never was, is, or will be. He is usually very dismissive of all things regarding Rhody hoops. Has in the past openly questioned whether PC should lower itself and play URI at the Ryan Center and indicated five years ago that Dan Hurley would never come to Kingston as the program was beneath him.
An absolute fact about Rooke, a Teas grad. Voice of the Friar is actually comical. Yes, no friend of URI in honesty, not even close.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

John Rooke is an assclown. "A sports radio station in Atlanta has said..." -- he is a PC homer buffoon. I actually laughed when I read his tweet.
Dan may be a candidate, but I will eat my computer if a radio station in Atlanta is going to be the source of anything more than pure speculation. He is trolling, which is par for the course for him.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Things are not getting any better for Duquesne. Another coach removes himself from consideration and one of their two their A-10 all rookie team members is transferring.

Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:John Rooke is an assclown. "A sports radio station in Atlanta has said..." -- he is a PC homer buffoon. I actually laughed when I read his tweet.
Dan may be a candidate, but I will eat my computer if a radio station in Atlanta is going to be the source of anything more than pure speculation. He is trolling, which is par for the course for him.
Absolutely correct. ASSCLOWN should be middle name. Don't like guy at all. Feel terrible I actually semi defended him in another thread. GUy is NOT good at anything he has done and does definitley dislike URI. Jerk. You can understand from former PC great Joe Hassett, but hes still not as bad.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

giovanni wrote:Have had several conversations with Cordischi over the years. I like the guy and think he knows his shit. I , too don't think Rooke, Scott , Kevin Mac are totally against URI. But when it come to URI or PC, it is definitely no competition. McNamara and Rooke in particular. Maybe dont' "hate URI, but really don't care for them. PC love and bias is actually pretty overwhelming
I was with you on McNamara until this run the past few weeks. McNamara has been more supportive than I would have expected in his tweets and in the Pick and Pop podcasts. The last one from Monday was mostly all URI, very little Providence even though they were also in the tourney. It was good to see.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like Duquesne is in a world of hurt
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

What a fiasco at Duquesne! By my count they are now onto option 4 having been turned down by King Rice, Dane Fife and James Whitford.

Also losing their top 2 scorers, 1 via transfer the other graduating.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote:
bigappleram wrote:John Rooke is an assclown. "A sports radio station in Atlanta has said..." -- he is a PC homer buffoon. I actually laughed when I read his tweet.
Absolutely correct. ASSCLOWN should be middle name. Don't like guy at all. Feel terrible I actually semi defended him in another thread. GUy is NOT good at anything he has done and does definitley dislike URI. Jerk. You can understand from former PC great Joe Hassett, but hes still not as bad.

I actually like Hassett. He is a real local and genuine. He compliments URI from time to time when merited. I do not sense a big anti-URI bias from him. Hassett actually has more reason than Rooke to dislike Rhody hoops since he played for the Friars during the height of the PC-URI rivalry and lost the 1978 ECAC New England Championship to the Rams. It is odd that the Friar basketball radio guy that is not local and did not attend PC is the one with more animus toward URI.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I WOULD LIKE TO THROW MY HAT INTO THE RING FOR THE DUQUESNE JOB.

Will do it for 400K a year. Bargain.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

STC wrote:What a fiasco at Duquesne! By my count they are now onto option 4 having been turned down by King Rice, Dane Fife and James Whitford.

Also losing their top 2 scorers, 1 via transfer the other graduating.
It is tough to keep track but you missed John Becker of Vermont as he also took a pass.

UVM's Becker turns down Duquesne offer
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/stor ... /99531364/
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rooke is an excellent basketball announcer.
I like the guy. He's got a good sense of humor.
We have similar political views.
I've always enjoyed my exchanges with him.
Gio, I enjoy your posts, but you've defended
and damned the guy within 20 minutes on the same thread.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Kevin McNamara is extremely bad. SYR guy, make no sense, except this is RI. . Bil Reynolds too. They may smooth over some , but for some reason do not like STATE school. Bill used to go to Borders in Garden City. Anyone that that thinks he likes URI in anyway is foolish. Likes URI when he thinks he can get a book deal from Larma. Ohter than that Lamar is a "waste". Sad we have to read these scumbags.
Joe Hassett +qualty, honest
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Rooke is an excellent basketball announcer.
I like the guy. He's got a good sense of humor.
We have similar political views.
I've always enjoyed my exchanges with him.
Gio, I enjoy your posts, but you've defended
and damned the guy within 20 minutes on the same thread.
Only said the guy didn't hate URI. Retracted. Guy is ass and terrible announcer. Terrible You like him fine. Everyone, especially salesman can play the game. HATES URI, not a question . I , for one, do not care for anyone that hates URI. He does, believe me. Cordishchi has pretty much said he doesn' like URI, but has to be politically corect. Rooke's an ass, a jerk. We may be the only state in union that takes backseat to a 2,000 enrollment private school. Thats a fact. Rooke should be back in Texas where he would be unemployed. At least in any type of sports business
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here we go.
Like McNamara or not, he knows more about basketball
than any writer in the area.
Reynolds is a very successful author.
His book on the 1967 Red Sox is the best book I've
read on the subject.
Calling either McNamara or Reynolds,scumbags, is off base.
Your take on Rooke is ridiculous and over the top.
Unemployed?
He's in RI Radio Hall of Fame, 22 years as NE Patriots PA announcer, 26 years
as play by play announcer, ESPN radio, author,
a professor at Emerson College, and now an administrator for Dean College.
We should all be this unemployable.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: Cooley would be a perfect fit. Doesn't look like it will happen but I don't understand the 'he loves it at PC and is never leaving."
As much as I think Dan has done a great job, I don't get it why his name often comes up before Archie Miller's. Miller should be on the short list of every AD in the country.
If Cooley were to one day leave, it would certainly not be to a Big East program. He could never face the fans, school, or administration twice a year from the opposing bench. Heck, Billy Donovan played PC 3 times in a semi-home/away/home series, and after that said he would never willingly play PC again due to the emotions. I believe Cooley would feel the same way. That said, I don't rule out him one day going to a top-end job for significantly more money, but at this point, the school has certainly provided the financial backing, not just in school resources but also salary, he's making $2+ million per season. He basically has an unlimited contract, not too bad for a guy with one NCAA Tournament win.
and a very lucky NCAA win at that where USC gave the game away. It's great to get 4 straight NCAA Invitations but it may hold him back to some extent have lost 4 and the single win vs 8-Seeded USC
Hurley beat a 6 Seed and gave a 3 Seed, now in Elite 8, all they could handle with his best player hobbled with a knee injury.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:

This surprised me. Felton was fired after 20 games at Georgia in 2009. He has been out of Coaching since then.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah some pretty strange hires at Cal Rice and Cleveland State

From what I heard on radio Alford to Indiana is pretty much a sure thing
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
This surprised me. Felton was fired after 20 games at Georgia in 2009. He has been out of Coaching since then.

Cleveland Sate has gone this route before. They hired Rollie Massimino in 1996 after he had been out of coaching for a couple of years.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Big fish in small ponds. They have zero competition and that's just how they like it, in any major market they would get swallowed up like the humps they are.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and as expected Cuonzo Martin already gets the Nations #1 Recruit to switch from Washington to Missouri..............

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... uri-tigers
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As usual I am completely opposite of my "buddy" as it relates to Rooke. His bio may have many small time accomplishments (wow- RI Radio Hall of Fame) but make no mistake he would like URI to be in the cellar of the A-10 each year. As I stated earlier he is a d-bag of epic proportions.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My opinion of Rooke is that he seems like an intelligent and decent guy and a good announcer....but yes he is no fan of URI.

When I called him an asshat it's his aversion to URI that gets that title........
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I emailed rooke and told him if he kept throwing the darts at Hurley leaving and his next destination he might eventually get it right. Got a quick response back. . said we were all way to sensitive. Just reporting what he's heard. He's a putz with zero credibility as far as being a reporter
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:I WOULD LIKE TO THROW MY HAT INTO THE RING FOR THE DUQUESNE JOB.

I'll do it for 399k...
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Had to be "fake news" then......he really should stick to announcing, he's pretty good at that.

TP, you said you were a lawyer.....thought lawyers made pretty good paper......maybe not 400K good but better than most of us here I would think.

Anyway, Duquesne is a mess....if the A10 adds Wichita State they should consider saying sayonara to the Dukes of Hazzard.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I WOULD LIKE TO THROW MY HAT INTO THE RING FOR THE DUQUESNE JOB.

I'll do it for 399k...
How are you with the X's and O's? :lol: :lol:
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Hassett was not on the '78 team that lost to URI. He graduated in '76
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

All you need to know about Rooke and his trolly intentions is this, he didn't tweet a thing that Ed Cooley's name has been mentioned as often as Dan's for the Gtown job. I guess Jeff Goodman is not as reliable as "a sports radio station in Atlanta".
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rammgr wrote:Hassett was not on the '78 team that lost to URI. He graduated in '76
I stand corrected. I thought he was on the 1978 team. A google search on him indicates he graduated from PC in 1977 and was drafted that same year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who would regard being in a Hall of Fame of your
chosen occupation as "a small time accomplishment"?
Some of the comments in this thread look like
tRUMP's tweets.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I would!! There are Halls of Fame and there are Halls of Fame. "Small time" is the best way of describing this accomplishment. This is little old Rhody. After being on the radio for 22 years his longevity got him the "award".
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

What a crazy week for the A10. Miller to Indiana seems to make a lot of sense... Sucks for the league if it happens, I'd put my money on it does. Let's hope Georgetown finds their coach soon, not named Hurley please.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Oh no! A10 loses a big one!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Well....
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Wow so Dayton + VCU lose their head coaches, nobody wants to coach at Duquesne, and then the Umass hire that wasn't. Not exactly an ideal start to the offseason for the A10.
Last edited by gorhody89 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Clapton is God
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Does this make 4 new A10 coaches? (VCU, Dayton, Duquesne and UmASS)
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Dayton will always be a high end job for an up and coming good coach.They will remain strong.The league will stay as is.......with uri as champ in a hard fought game against a determined vcu/Dayton.
2 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Dukes and Mass may have to settle for skinner
0 x