The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Blue Man »

A few thoughts:

A) UMASS is a dumpster fire. Ignoring whether or not the Xavier job comes to fruition, I wonder if this has anything to do with the assault scandal that preceeded Kelloggs firing.

B) How many more times ad nauseum do we need to discuss Hurley being a different type of person?

C) Not to be too un-PC but Georgetown will not hire a white coach.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

BM....interesting take on your C statement......but it won't be Cooley.....he's found his happy place at PC.

Cooley will always be somewhat at a disadvantage recruiting at PC....just like Dan does here.

But he gets a lot out of his talent....and Dan is catching up in that regard here.

The pressure to win at a place like Georgetown is many times higher than here or PC.....maybe both Ed and Dan like it that way.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

IDK speculating on what Gtown basketball will do according to the coaches color doesn't seem like a good look.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Seawrightspostgame wrote:IDK speculating on what Gtown basketball will do according to the coaches color doesn't seem like a good look.
Just repeating what I heard from people who know what they're talking about when I brought up the possibility of Gtown hiring Dan last year if JT3 were to be fired.

Also Cooley is at the level now where teams will look at how he performs in the tournament. He's great for a school like PC...but if you're Georgetown who is firing a guy who can't break through to the later rounds in the NCAA...you aren't exactly going to knock down the door to get a guy who is 1-4 with no 2nd weekend experience...even with a top 5 nba draft pick.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I mean G-Town did ride with Craig Esherick for 5 1/2 years between JT and JT III. I think he got the benefit of the doubt because he lasted that long despite being quite mediocre and only making one tourney appearance. Just because they happened to hire 2 men of color who had long tenures - deservedly due to the team's success - does not give evidence of any bias.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:IDK speculating on what Gtown basketball will do according to the coaches color doesn't seem like a good look.
I highly doubt GT is against white coaches in anyway but to his defense, GT has had a black coach 37 out of the past 43 years, Father and son Thompson.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree Blue Man....PC and Cooley are a perfect fit.....I mean the guy makes 2 million a year and he's home...and he's not going to be fired if he keeps making the dance most of the time...at least at PC he isn't.....

At a lot of P5's or even a school like GTown, you have to do more than just get in....you have to advance or you're gonzo.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Tompson Sr's assistant Craig Esherick (white guy) was the HC after him.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

If Blueman is right, and Georgetown feels compelled to hire
a black coach, there's a guy doing nothing, and living in DC.
Maybe Barack Obama is available?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is the 16 minute press conference by Bamford. Thought he did a good jod considering.
Kelsey had met with the players in the morning. Did not tell Bamford until 35 minutes before the scheduled press conference.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:If Blueman is right, and Georgetown feels compelled to hire
a black coach, there's a guy doing nothing, and living in DC.
Maybe Barack Obama is available?
No, he's going to be the Prime Minister of France soon.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I doubt Gtown would refuse to hire a coach simply because of race.

Yet, It would not surprise me if everything else is equal they preferred a black hire simply to avoid the inevitable SJW articles about firing black coaches and hiring white men,

Why not our old friend Al Skinner? Can't believe he is not being considered for Gtown or Umass.
Last edited by EGram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Al Skinner to Georgetown? Man, no disrespect to Al but let's be serious.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Al's next job is retirement. He deserved a better finale than Kennesaw State, but it is what it is. He had a good career.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I don't think AL to Gtown is likely. But if he ever was going to be considered for another major coaching gig this is perhaps his best chance given it's a North East school, Selective, possibly preferring a black coach.

It does make you wonder what AL ever did to get blacklisted from the Coaching Fraternity? Does he kill kittens in his spare time or something?

His resume is better then virtually ever guy who will be considered for Gtown or every other major d1 coaching job that's available.

it's not like he was a failure at his last job, or the one before that... I can't imagine how frustrating that must be to exceed expectations at every stop and suddenly no one is interested in you.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Al kind of got the last laugh when it came to BC.......not that it helps him or anything.

BC has been crap ever since.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow I actually feel bad for UMass . Same thing happened at UnLV last year they hired a coach and one week later he went to Texas Tech I think and UnLV got stuck with Marvin Menzies

As far as DH goes let's see if GT contacts his agent for an interview. If he is indeed their first choice then I am sure he will interview and probably take it

I don't think he is their first choice however, I don't think he has done enough yet to warrant that job. If we don't have that run here at the end he wouldn't even been mentioned
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So where does John Thompson 3 land ?? Maybe he takes a year off ??
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I don't feel bad for UMass at all. As much as its good for the conference to have good teams I really enjoy watching bad things happen to them.

Also Kelsey wasn't a fit there...you have to be a grease ball scumbag to really capture the essence of UMass. Kellogg was a perfect fit.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Of course the hater Rooke has to weigh in...

John Rooke‏Verified account @JRbroadcaster · 10h10 hours ago

You won't like it, URI fans. Sports Radio in ATL reporting @dhurley15 is at top of list.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

While the UMass and Duquesne job openings look terrible for the A10 as a whole in the way they have gone so far. As a URI fan I'm loving what a fiasco it is turning into for both schools.

Gregg Marshall pulled a similar deal to Pat Kelsey back when he was at Winthrop so if Kelsey keeps winning it won't matter what happened yesterday at UMass.

As for Duquesne, the fact that NOBODY wants that gig may actually serve as a wake up call to their administration that status quo is not going to cut it any longer. Maybe it will lead to slight betterments for the program as a whole? They should have never fired Everhart, he got Duquesne to an A10 championship.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Heard Bruiser Flint is taking LIU job?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Cooley is at the top of GTown list.

They will come after him hard, 4 straight bids. Does things the right way, high character guy it appears.

Stands to make a big payday if he wants it.

Personally I love DC, especially Georgetown.....is that dessert place at the bottom of Wisconsin Ave still there?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can't see the BE allowing one of their insititutions to poach from one of their own.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

hrstrat57 wrote:Cooley is at the top of GTown list.

They will come after him hard, 4 straight bids. Does things the right way, high character guy it appears.

Personally I love DC, especially Georgetown.....is that dessert place at the bottom of Wisconsin Ave still there?
When was the last time you saw a coach move to a different team in the same conference? It just doesn't happen.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Captainron@ wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Cooley is at the top of GTown list.

When was the last time you saw a coach move to a different team in the same conference? It just doesn't happen.
It's not often, but Baron moved from SBU to URI and Tubby Smith from Georgia to Kentucky. What's more common is a coach leaving for another job in a different conference or the NBA, then coming back, like Tom Penders: URI to Texas then to GW.

That said, I would be completely shocked if Cooley left PC for Georgetown or another BE team. He seems like a standup guy and I don't see him leaving Providence at all. He can retire there. Of course money always talks loud, but I don't see him leaving for Georgetown.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Georgetown is in another league when it comes to prestige and money.....still I would be surprised if Cooley leaves.

And Rooke is an asshat.....
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

As much as I don't like Rooke, looking at his twitter feed he seemed to be rooting for URI. Surprisingly.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Well that's good to hear about Ewing . Woj is the most connected man in basketball so he likely knows whats up.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Btw...every school has interest in Dan. Every school has interest in any hot young coach who takes a prototypical underdog to the tournament. It doesn't mean he's going but it certainly means it's leverage for athletics to go to Dooley and say we need x, y, and z to keep Dan.

If your coach isn't brought up as a name in coaching searches and he's not a hall of famer at a blue blood school your coach sucks. Or didn't we learn that already with all the times Baron was linked to major jobs after our super successful 20 win seasons?
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:Btw...every school has interest in Dan. Every school has interest in any hot young coach who takes a prototypical underdog to the tournament. It doesn't mean he's going but it certainly means it's leverage for athletics to go to Dooley and say we need x, y, and z to keep Dan.

If your coach isn't brought up as a name in coaching searches and he's not a hall of famer at a blue blood school your coach sucks. Or didn't we learn that already with all the times Baron was linked to major jobs after our super successful 20 win seasons?
An excellent point and a small price to pay for success.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wonder what is happening over at UMassHoops

They have a Rate the Kelsey Hire thread and a YOUR NEW MENS HOOP COACH: PAT KELSEY thread.

http://umasshoops.com/newboard/viewforum.php?f=1
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Let's ditch our football program and take that money to up DH's salary.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Wonder what is happening over at UMassHoops

They have a Rate the Kelsey Hire thread and a YOUR NEW MENS HOOP COACH: PAT KELSEY thread.

http://umasshoops.com/newboard/viewforum.php?f=1
They just left the threads up and active. The Rate the Kelsey Thread Hire originally had zero "Boo" votes but after their hire this has now 28 votes and climbing. Also I think the poll allows them to change their original vote.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The deadspin story (which I think I posted here, but can't recall) raises the question of whether Kelsey's accepting of the job and subsequent change of heart would trigger the $1M buyout clause that was in the contract. Obviously UNass would not get the whole thing, but I would not be shocked if they recover something out of this.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

reef wrote:So where does John Thompson 3 land ?? Maybe he takes a year off ??
TV Land
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hey StevieP--don't believe for a second that Rooke is rooting for URI. He is a d-bag of epic proportions.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't think it will Ewing. As someone said, they'd win the press conference but that's all. Being an NBA assistant in no way prepares you to run an NCAA program. He'll only get the job if Big John is running things.
Amaker's name always comes up but he ends up staying at Harvard. My gut says no.
Cooley would be a perfect fit. Doesn't look like it will happen but I don't understand the 'he loves it at PC and is never leaving."
As much as I think Dan has done a great job, I don't get it why his name often comes up before Archie Miller's. Miller should be on the short list of every AD in the country.
Shaka Smart: too soon.
Richard Pitino: We know moving around is in Pitino's DNA and you would think a BE job would be very enticing.
Jamion Christian: Intriguing dark-horse candidate from Mount St. mary's. Don't count him out.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think it is delusional for anyone to think that Dan would not interview for the Georgetown job if given the opportunity and not accept the position if it were offered. URI cannot compete with Georgetown on many levels.

We however still do not know if Dan is who they want. With their pedigree, they may desire a more accomplished coach and may go in that direction. As mentioned elsewhere, while it is not PC, I do think race might be a factor in their hiring though it would never be admitted to in public. GU has had one of the most prominent African American coaches in the sport involved with it for four decades. No other school in college basketball has more of a following with African-American youths than Georgetown. To think race is not a factor is ignorant.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Iggy1979 wrote: Cooley would be a perfect fit. Doesn't look like it will happen but I don't understand the 'he loves it at PC and is never leaving."
As much as I think Dan has done a great job, I don't get it why his name often comes up before Archie Miller's. Miller should be on the short list of every AD in the country.
If Cooley were to one day leave, it would certainly not be to a Big East program. He could never face the fans, school, or administration twice a year from the opposing bench. Heck, Billy Donovan played PC 3 times in a semi-home/away/home series, and after that said he would never willingly play PC again due to the emotions. I believe Cooley would feel the same way. That said, I don't rule out him one day going to a top-end job for significantly more money, but at this point, the school has certainly provided the financial backing, not just in school resources but also salary, he's making $2+ million per season. He basically has an unlimited contract, not too bad for a guy with one NCAA Tournament win.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:The deadspin story (which I think I posted here, but can't recall) raises the question of whether Kelsey's accepting of the job and subsequent change of heart would trigger the $1M buyout clause that was in the contract. Obviously UNass would not get the whole thing, but I would not be shocked if they recover something out of this.

There have been reports on the UMass forum that an official contract was not actually signed. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed with general details outlined. I believe that this is standard practice given the short amount of time with the hiring decision and the expectation is that the lawyers will soon follow it up with the detailed contract. Per the MOU definition below, they are not legally binding.

DEFINITION OF MOU
A memorandum of understanding (MOU or MoU) is a formal agreement between two or more parties. Companies and organizations can use MOUs to establish official partnerships.

MOUs are not legally binding but they carry a degree of seriousness and mutual respect, stronger than a gentlemen’s agreement. Often, MOUs are the first steps towards a legal contract. In US law, a memorandum of understanding is synonymous with a letter of intent (LOI), which is a non-binding written agreement that implies a binding contract is to follow.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

As good as Cooley has been at Providence can you even imagine the talent he could bring in at GTown?

$4m a year for Cooley would be a bargain!!!

BE Champ/ national title contenders every season!

Such a no brainer!

Interesting that the GTown board has talked more about B Hurley SR as fit vs his sons....

It's a fun read for sure
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:I don't think it will Ewing. As someone said, they'd win the press conference but that's all. Being an NBA assistant in no way prepares you to run an NCAA program. He'll only get the job if Big John is running things.
Amaker's name always comes up but he ends up staying at Harvard. My gut says no.
Cooley would be a perfect fit. Doesn't look like it will happen but I don't understand the 'he loves it at PC and is never leaving."
Shaka Smart: too soon.
Richard Pitino: We know moving around is in Pitino's DNA and you would think a BE job would be very enticing.
Jamion Christian: Intriguing dark-horse candidate from Mount St. mary's. Don't count him out.
Miller's name doesn't come up because programs on the Georgetown level (let's call it the B-list) don't think Miller will leave Dayton for anything short of the A-list. His name has been associated with the Indiana job and he will likely be a finalist there. Other names associated with that job include Brad Steven (lol), Billy Donovan, his brother Sean who is at Arizona and Gregg Marshall who names his own salary from the Koch Brothers slush fund and turns down offers from good programs for sport. Archie is in the driver's seat because he can hold out for one of the elite blue blood jobs in the sport and in the meantime has a nice little setup at Dayton and doesn't need to be in a hurry.

This is the crux of the argument I made against Wade going to LSU and why I think Hurley should be very selective (that said, at this point in his career the Georgetown job would be close to a no-brainer if offered to Dan because URI is not Dayton, at least not yet). If Dan stays at URI and makes it into Dayton in the next 5 years then he can make one more stop somewhere at a glamour job and make a legit run at a national championship.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Blue Man wrote:A few thoughts:

A) UMASS is a dumpster fire. Ignoring whether or not the Xavier job comes to fruition, I wonder if this has anything to do with the assault scandal that preceeded Kelloggs firing.

B) How many more times ad nauseum do we need to discuss Hurley being a different type of person?

C) Not to be too un-PC but Georgetown will not hire a white coach.
I had heard yesterday from some people in DC that the black community/fans were in a rage. Feel they let Thompson's down or school did . Gtown has always been a dear team in the african american community. I was also told that hiring a black coach would be in the forefront. Take that FWIW. Different types of pressures than many schools have.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

STC wrote:While the UMass and Duquesne job openings look terrible for the A10 as a whole in the way they have gone so far. As a URI fan I'm loving what a fiasco it is turning into for both schools.

Gregg Marshall pulled a similar deal to Pat Kelsey back when he was at Winthrop so if Kelsey keeps winning it won't matter what happened yesterday at UMass.

As for Duquesne, the fact that NOBODY wants that gig may actually serve as a wake up call to their administration that status quo is not going to cut it any longer. Maybe it will lead to slight betterments for the program as a whole? They should have never fired Everhart, he got Duquesne to an A10 championship.

I don't think this off season is looking good coaching wise for the A-10.
  • Will Wade, a high paid coach of one of the two most successful programs in the league, bolts in the dead of night for a middling P5 job.

UMass gets embarrassed by being jilted at the altar by Pat Kelcey after he agreed to be coach.

Duquense can't seem to find anyone decent interested in their job with many names going out of their way to publicly disassociate themselves from the position.
I fear that this could be a manifestation of the diminishing attractiveness of the A-10. The number of league teams in the last few years going the the NCAA (and NIT as well) has been declining, seeds getting worse, and wins becoming less common. The power conferences are gaining strength sending even more of their members to the NCAA easch season. Getting to the tournament from a non pwer conference is getting tougher year by year. These things are not good for URI or the A-10.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Going to elite 8, coaches can come from nowhere

0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

giovanni wrote:Going to elite 8, coaches can come from nowhere

That tweet is kind of misleading, he spent 10 years as an assistant between Xavier and Wake Forest. Prior to Dayton, Archie Miller didn't have any head coaching experience and he made an elite 8!
1 x