The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

My gut feeling says Danny doesn't leave, for Gtown anyway. Whether it is, he is happy here and not interested, Gtown takes someones else, whatever the reason is, I hope everything happens fast. In the event he does decide to go, there are a lot of options out there and the earlier you have to address this type of issue, the better. Our program is arguably in its best position ever for a new hire and would hopefully attract some impressive candidates, more than we have seen. I knew this was going to happen at least once this year, so I told myself, whatever happens, happens, not going to worry about it, just move on if occasion arises. So, I hope he stays, but if he moves, which many think is inevitable, we move on and thank him for what he has done.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Don't want to see it by any means, but couldn't be anything but happy for Dan and his family if he took that job. It would also bring a lot more prestige to this program if he went there rather than Rutgers for instance, to show you can make a big step up to a historical power right from URI. But the cart is way before the horse, because as has been mentioned I think G-Town will lean towards a lengthy resume guy rather than the "hot" relatively green coach. Tough spot to be in with respect to John Thompson though who still must have the ear of folks around the school, his attitude unless Coach freakin' K walks in the door will be like "you fired my son for HIM?!"
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jeff Goodman just said on ESPN that Ed Cooley would be a perfect fit for Georgetown but isn't sure whether he would leave Providence for it.

I don't see Hurley or Cooley ending up at GTown but Cooley is more likely IMO.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jeff Goodman on ESPN right now talking about the Gtown job just rattled off Tommy Amaker, Mike Brey (Dematha guy) and then went on to say that the perfect candidate was Ed Cooley. No mention of Dan.
5 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I asked it before. Why would a guy like Hurley leave URI for anything outside the power 5?
Last edited by scine20 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Money?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

scine20 wrote:I asked it before. Why would a guy like Hurley leave URI for anything outside the power 5?
It's Georgetown.

Also, I think it's time to give the Big East its credit. The conference is very good, just had a national champ, and sent 7 out of 10 teams to the tourney this year.

And again, he would leave because it's Georgetown.
1 x
Go Rhody
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Anyone that thinks Dan wouldn't take Georgetown, if offered, is crazy in my opinion. If making the tourney is still what matters to him, think about what the Big East just did. 7 out of 10 teams in the dance. We squeaked in as the third best team in the A-10.

It's also not a rebuild, as they had enough talent to beat Oregon this year. Dan is the type of coach that will get the most out of those guys.

And let's not forget Hurley more than just flirted with Rutgers, he was one foot out the door. Last year he stayed because he had unfinished business with these guys. That's not the case anymore.

If he leaves hopefully a guy is brought in that will keep this roster together and can make another post season push!
Last edited by Dre3000 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The big least was a fluke this year. Injured teams provided the league with wins, which propelled them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dont be naive. National championship pedigree, recruiting hotbed, he could take Cox with him and crush the DMV recruiting scene...big east, big city, 3.5 million dollars, yada yada yada. The only reason not to take it is the ghost of JT Sr.
1 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

ESPN reporting Kelsey backing out of his deal with Umass
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... emen-coach
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This is all about how committed to basketball URI is. And for the record, URI should be very committed to basketball.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It's interesting that this says JT3 only made $2M, and they wouldn't be able to do 3.5 for Marshall. I think people were saying on the previous page that they thought that's what this job would pay.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:This is all about how committed to basketball URI is. And for the record, URI should be very committed to basketball.
What do you mean?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

No it isn't. This has zero to do with URI's committment to anything.
There are schools out there who offer things URI can't.
Pedigree, money, perks, and national exposure.
Not to mention, a better conference, and being part of
a rich recruiting area.

2 million? This is from IRS records:
"Georgetown University paid John Thompson III a salary of over $3.6 million, according to the university’s most recent publicly available financial data. The data, a 990 form filed with the IRS from 2014 made public due to Georgetown’s status as a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, indicates that Thompson received a total of $3,671,620 from Georgetown in 2014."
That's 3.6 times what Dan makes here.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think Dan parlays these end of year coaching carousels into things he thinks helps the program. If he's happy here and can get more to help him succeed he may be fine staying here. I know I have turned down more lucrative jobs because it would affect my well being. I don't like stress. Not on the job anyway.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I assume TBR means pony up. Wichita State pays their coach $3.3m! I know that is extreme but it looks like the going rate is $2m+ now for the top coaches. I believe the $1m we are paying Hurley still puts him in roughly the top 75 highest paid coaches. In fact according to this $1m would have put you in the top 40 last year http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... all/coach/
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That's what I'm saying RIFan. We need to get this program to the point where we are at least paying our coach what a 3,000 student school on Eaton street pays.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RIFan wrote:I assume TBR means pony up. Wichita State pays their coach $3.3m! I know that is extreme but it looks like the going rate is $2m+ now for the top coaches. I believe the $1m we are paying Hurley still puts him in roughly the top 75 highest paid coaches. In fact according to this $1m would have put you in the top 40 last year http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... all/coach/
FYI, the USAToday lists include only the 68 tournament teams from a given year.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Should have scrolled...not scanned!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Has keeping a coach always been THIS dangerous?? We lose we want him gone, we win and he (possibly) wants to be gone, maybe that's why Baron stuck around for so long. Dan don't forget about this...

0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How does Wichita State do it? I mean their enrollment is about the same, their in state tuition is about half what URI is and their endowment is about double. Can't complain if your not willing to give.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Has keeping a coach always been THIS dangerous?? We lose we want him gone, we win and he (possibly) wants to be gone, maybe that's why Baron stuck around for so long. Dan don't forget about this...
Yes, this has been the story since I started following the program in the late 80's...Success come with a price tag, and the price is potentially losing the coach. Maybe Dan is the exception...time will tell.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

theblueram wrote:How does Wichita State do it? I mean their enrollment is about the same, their in state tuition is about half what URI is and their endowment is about double. Can't complain if your not willing to give.
Koch brothers are big donors
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

URI2006_Andy wrote:
theblueram wrote:How does Wichita State do it? I mean their enrollment is about the same, their in state tuition is about half what URI is and their endowment is about double. Can't complain if your not willing to give.
Koch brothers are big donors
Thanks, I couldn't understand it either...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:No it isn't. This has zero to do with URI's committment to anything.
a rich recruiting area.

"Georgetown University paid John Thompson III a salary of over $3.6 million, according to the university’s most recent publicly available financial data. The data, a 990 form filed with the IRS from 2014 made public due to Georgetown’s status as a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, indicates that Thompson received a total of $3,671,620 from Georgetown in 2014."
We can't offer pedigree yet. The North East is loaded with talent. We need to get this program going so the last 18 years is the last. I thought we all wanted to be the Gonzaga of the North East? Gotta get that pay up. Whether it's Hurley or someone else.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Paul Tagliabue is heading the Georgetown search.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Word at the Ryan Center from those who are close to the Hurley family was that Dan's already laughing at the idea he's leaving. His phone has been blowing up since Zags dropped his name. He sure didn't look anything like he did last year during that long week listening to Rutgers' offer.

He is so relaxed now. Happy for him.
8 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:No it isn't. This has zero to do with URI's committment to anything.
a rich recruiting area.

We can't offer pedigree yet. The North East is loaded with talent. We need to get this program going so the last 18 years is the last. I thought we all wanted to be the Gonzaga of the North East? Gotta get that pay up. Whether it's Hurley or someone else.
The pay is way up compared to what URI was doing previously. If people want the program to pay the coach more, they have to give more. The university is not going to spend students' tuition paying a basketball coach multiple millions of dollars. Nobody does. Those programs paying all that money fundraise to do it.

The reality is that we need to keep stretching and growing the cash pool and the cash outlay incrementally, but we just aren't going to be paying the coach 3.5M next season. We won't even bring half that, whether it is Dan with a raise or somebody we have to lure here to replace him.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:Word at the Ryan Center from those who are close to the Hurley family was that Dan's already laughing at the idea he's leaving. His phone has been blowing up since Zags dropped his name. He sure didn't look anything like he did last year during that long week listening to Rutgers' offer.

He is so relaxed now. Happy for him.
This certainly helps.
2 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:
a rich recruiting area.

The pay is way up compared to what URI was doing previously. If people want the program to pay the coach more, they have to give more. The university is not going to spend students' tuition paying a basketball coach multiple millions of dollars. Nobody does. Those programs paying all that money fundraise to do it.

The reality is that we need to keep stretching and growing the cash pool and the cash outlay incrementally, but we just aren't going to be, just paying the coach 3.5M next season. We won't even bring half that, whether it is Dan with a raise or somebody we have to lure here to replace him.
Well, we might as well spend the entire marketing budget on the basketball team and can everyone who works in it. Because this tournament appearance was bigger than any marketing campaign lately.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What a freaking day. Don't know what to think.

As of right now, I don't think Dan leaves. I think JT wants someone with a more established resume.

But things change quickly, as we've seen so far today.

I will say one thing about a replacement if Dan were to leave: Pat Kelsey would be a great choice.

If he's rumored to go to Xavier, well that school knows how to hire good coaches.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Are you serious?
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I will say, Kelsey better have something lined up for his sake. If he ends up staying at Winthrop, other teams might shy away from him in the future thanks to today's cluster.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

Yikes...makes me think they're gonna be losing some recruits.

I feel pretty confident Dan stays.
We will have a danergous team next year.
He comes from a loyal family.
He says he really likes it here, it's becoming home for him.

As far as his ambition and legacy is concerned, it would be more impressive to make Rhode Island a basketball power as opposed to recharging the batteries of a big time program like Georgetown.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I'm not taking anything away from the possibility of Preston taking the URI job.....

Anyway, getting way ahead of myself here.....like I said, the odds of Dan leaving are....small

I'm basing Kelsey on his coaching performance....what happened today with UMass was strange though.

PRT, all well and good, but the comments by Wade about his reasons for leaving VCU are unfortunately becoming more and more the reality.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Not that he would announce it or anything but the guy I talked to tonight at the RC did not seem like a dude who was planning on taking off to Washington tomorrow or anytime soon.
3 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

RhodysRelevant wrote:ESPN reporting Kelsey backing out of his deal with Umass
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... emen-coach
Whoa... UMass got "Harrick'd"
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:What a freaking day. Don't know what to think.

As of right now, I don't think Dan leaves. I think JT wants someone with a more established resume.

I will say one thing about a replacement if Dan were to leave: Pat Kelsey would be a great choice.

If he's rumored to go to Xavier, well that school knows how to hire good coaches.

Please no with the "who will replace Hurley?" talk. Let something happen first.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:What a freaking day. Don't know what to think.

After what Kelsey did he would not ever be on my list for URI. He damaged himself. To accept the job, attend meetings this morning at UMASS and then back out before the press conference was not good.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I hate to see what's going on at UMass and Duquesne, hurts the A10 as a whole and us by association if these jobs are constantly turned down even from lower conference schools never mind the most coveted assistant coaches. I just hope despite not getting the best name coaches these schools can find diamonds in the rough, so the bottom of the league as a whole can rise up and improve on our numbers next year. I'd like to see the best A10 tourney seed be a bit higher than 7...
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Winthrop announced that Kelsey is coming back there.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

How nice.

And yeah, lets all refrain from speculating on who takes the URI job, given that it isn't open.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think UMASS and Duquesne will be fine in their search. Sympathies are with UMASS as this was a bad move by Kelsey. They lost out on Rhoades because he took the VCU job and plans to stay at VCU a long time and the fans there are very happy. Rhoades was the 2nd choice when VCU took Wade.
VCUs 4 man recruiting class was ranked #21 nationally
Dayton will be tough
URI will be favored to win the A10 again next year or at least be in the Top 3 contending for it
St Louis will come back strong with their 2017 and 2018 recruits to date
Richmond with good young players
Davidson well coached and recruits well
UMASS will find a descent coach
I'd see the A10 improved next year
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, agreed. I'm just going on record as saying that we need Dan to stay, and continue building this program.....

We're not there yet, but we'll get there quicker if he stays, for a couple more years at least.

And yes, Kelsey certainly didn't help himself today.

How could he accept a job if he hadn't even seen the campus and arena? Missed reading that.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Kelsey was an assistant coach for Xavier... he clearly is familiar with the campus and arena lol.
1 x