The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

What a month....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

FWIW the people in tune with Georgetown program are all focusing on Harvard guy and Ewing. Few of them even brig up hurleys name.

Would not be surprised if they already have a guy in mind we should find out soon. I hope people on here can keep the hysteria in check until we get some real news on who they are interested in.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"has anyone else noticed Rod's posts are becoming more and more like haikus?"

It's the drugs.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

rodfromcranston wrote:In reality, there's no way URI can bring anywhere close to
what Georgetown can offer.
Even if the Hoyas doubled Dan's salary, not to mention the perks.
National exposure, better conference, big media center......
I agree. If Dan is their choice then he is gone. Northeast (kind of), no huge rebuilding job, marquee program, p5 conference. This was one of the jobs I was always worried about him leaving for especially with the way JTIII was struggling. EC would most likely go with him so it hurts twice as much
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Just a thought, but I never see Ed Cooley mentioned with other jobs and Dan frequently. Not saying, I want to see Cooley leave or mentioned, but with his very good success at a very tough school to win, is it his allegiance to the school and job that keeps him from being mentioned? If that's the case, that's pretty impressive to have a coach that says that is his "dream" job is that loyal. I know he makes a lot more money than Dan for instance, but there are also alot of schools that can pay and offer a helluva lot more. If I am looking for a coach, I contact both guys.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Cooley will retire at pc.I've seen the difference he has made around south providence.Lots of kids wearing the providence regalia.(interesting tho.......the shirts and jackets spell providence.......not pc and not friars......just providence.They are black and white. Have a small big east emblem on the sleeve ....but no link to the college.With the a affiliation program at ccri to transfer the kids are wearing that stuff.It's like they're celebrating the city not the college)Ed Cooley is tied to the self esteem of the area.He is on nobodies radar because this is home
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't think it should shock anyone if Dan is a candidate. But if he's going to be, there will be plenty of time to speculate on the dominos that will fall at URI. My ask is that we let that time come organically and not get ahead of ourselves with speculation.

Dan's name and the run he had to the NCAA round of 32 is going to get his name tossed around for higher profile jobs by media types. That is the price of success for a program like URI. Having your name merely mentioned in the mix however does not mean the school thinks that way. I would imagine the Georgetown job would be very enticing to Dan. That however does not mean that GU currently has high interest in him. While making the tourney this year, his success for seven years of coaching is still fairly modest. It may not excite a program with the past and resources such as the Hoyas. They may initially shoot higher and see if they can get a more proven winner. If they fail in that, they will begin to move down the ladder. While this job is the type of opportunity to fear, I wouldn't yet jump off the bridge. This will take some time to sort itself out.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

class of 86 wrote:Cooley will retire at pc.I've seen the difference he has made around south providence.Lots of kids wearing the providence regalia.(interesting tho.......the shirts and jackets spell providence.......not pc and not friars......just providence.They are black and white. Have a small big east emblem on the sleeve ....but no link to the college.With the a affiliation program at ccri to transfer the kids are wearing that stuff.It's like they're celebrating the city not the college)Ed Cooley is tied to the self esteem of the area.He is on nobodies radar because this is home
Well said and agree, but in today's day and age, it is not often , in this day and age when you see a situation where you see someone loyal enough to not let money become the overruling object.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This is one of the few programs with serious tradition and history that I would think Dan had a shot at. The UNC's and Duke's all have 50 alums with great resumes in line for the job.

I always feel Dan Hurley is more likely to be hired if it is a school that has ties to the NY/NJ/CT tristate area OR if it is a hiring agency.

I get the feeling hiring agencies would love DH if a school went to one to look for a candidate. All his stuff on paper would put him at the top of the list of coaches willing to move.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Have seen Shaka Smart's name mentioned. If I were him, I would seriously consider the position, if money is fairly close. I am sure GTown can make it work if they want him.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Not a knock against Dan, but with their money, history, prestige, if you were a fan, would Dan be your first choice? They are not going to be like many other schools. They are going to have a lot of interest and more than likely from guys with more experience and a better overall resume.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: The 2017-2018 Season

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Not sure where to place this, but this seemed like a fitting thread.

My next door neighbor has a good friend who's close with the Hurley family, Dan in particular. His friend was in contact with Dan as recently as last week and they apparently talk pretty often. His friend said that Dan has repeatedly expressed how much he loves URI and how much his family likes the area. According to this friend, Dan said the only way he leaves URI is if he's fired or is forced to quit for some unforeseen reason. Said that Dan is loyal just like his dad and the big money jobs don't attract him like they do other coaches.

Who knows how much stock you can put into that, but I thought it was interesting information to share with the Rhody family!
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

class of 86 wrote:Cooley will retire at pc.I've seen the difference he has made around south providence.Lots of kids wearing the providence regalia.(interesting tho.......the shirts and jackets spell providence.......not pc and not friars......just providence.They are black and white. Have a small big east emblem on the sleeve ....but no link to the college.With the a affiliation program at ccri to transfer the kids are wearing that stuff.It's like they're celebrating the city not the college)Ed Cooley is tied to the self esteem of the area.He is on nobodies radar because this is home
It's good marketing; like the Yankee fitted isn't exclusive to baseball fans. Rhode Island can try to get in on that, too.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree that this job opening is a concern as it's high paying in the Big East with tradition

I think DH would interview and take it if offered

I also think he may not be their first choice however
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not much love for Amaker on the GTown board.
One guy thinks Tony Bennett (Virginia) coaches St. Mary's.
Mostly fixated on Shaka Smart, which is not happening.
He's guaranteed big money and has a nice recruiting class
coming in.
Austin, Texas is better than DC.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

they aren't happy with shaka in Texas, could be his way out
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

giovanni wrote:
"unforeseen circumstances" was the reason given
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Does that mean Kelsey is not coming to UMASS?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

that part is not known, fans and media were let in, then ushered out
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

giovanni wrote:Just a thought, but I never see Ed Cooley mentioned with other jobs and Dan frequently. Not saying, I want to see Cooley leave or mentioned, but with his very good success at a very tough school to win, is it his allegiance to the school and job that keeps him from being mentioned? If that's the case, that's pretty impressive to have a coach that says that is his "dream" job is that loyal. I know he makes a lot more money than Dan for instance, but there are also alot of schools that can pay and offer a helluva lot more. If I am looking for a coach, I contact both guys.
Been saying the same thing all day. GTown would be a $1M raise. Does he love PC that much? Four straight tournaments should have him on every high-major list.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Austin TX may be better than DC, but if you look at both programs, which has more potential, a better all over landscape. to have a consistent winner. BE may not be power 5 , but they are not mid major either. Nova won championship, shows it can be done . Contracts are typically worked around. He is not from the mid Atlantic originally, but obviously had incredible success at VCU. Gtown if one of those rare jobs. Not a Duke, Kansas, UNC type, but such great history and basketball prestige. If I am in that position, I would rather coach at all basketball school Georgetown if salaries are close.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

giovanni wrote:
But they've already sent splashy emails out announcing the hire. I got one because years ago I bought tickets to watch the Rams up at Mullins and they still have my email.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Kelsey, change of heart, not taking UMASS job... unreal
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That's messed up. I noticed it did not say he is returning to Winthrop. Is that just assumed or may he be interested in another job?
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Shaka signed a huge contract extension last summer, with 22 million dollars guaranteed.
He's not going anywhere.
This was only his second season, and he's recruiting very well.
Plus his buyout would be excessive.

UMass. Wow!
Shades of the infamous April 1, 1999 Jim Harrick
press conference that never happened.
I know! Kelsey to Georgetown!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Could something have come up in Kelsey's background or was it really just a change of heart.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 45482695-4

Goodman says that Kelsey didn't feel like UMass was the right place for him. I'd assume that, ultimately, there is something else lined up at another school. I can't imagine that he realized he didn't want to be at UMass moments before the press conference.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Goodman quoting a ource close to Kersey he felt it just wasn't the right fit

apparent he saw campus for the first time yesterday, also G'Town might be interested
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
giovanni
Carlton Owens

twisted3829 wrote:they aren't happy with shaka in Texas, could be his way out

This is true. Tough to be loved if you don't succeed immediately. As far as his recruiting class, that would not be a determining factor. He's gonna recruit a top 20 class anywhere and coaches have very little loyalty to recruits as a rule, if a better opportunity arises.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Maybe I'm being naive, but wouldn't you want to at least check out the campus before taking a job at a new school?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

http://umassathletics.com/news/2017/3/2 ... t-now.aspx

#17 reason to renew your season tickets was dinner with Kelsey and Bamford. Does this mean dinner reservations are cancelled?
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

UMass board is saying Chris Mack is taking the Indiana job and Kelsey will be taking the Xavier job (obviously nothing confirmed but that is what they are saying)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

While I don't generally have a lot of sympathy for UMass and its fans, I feel bad for them in this instance. Having been through this in 1999, I do not wish it on anyone else. It is a roller coaster of emotions from high to low. It is absolutely deflating when it turns like that and is something you never truly recover from.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:Goodman quoting a ource close to Kersey he felt it just wasn't the right fit

apparent he saw campus for the first time yesterday, also G'Town might be interested
Maybe he got a look at that facility they play their games at. Amazing.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Hard to believe all those dominoes lined up without anyone noticing till now but who knows.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

twisted3829 wrote:Goodman quoting a ource close to Kersey he felt it just wasn't the right fit

How can you accept a job without ever visiting campus, facilities, getting a feel for school? Hopefully Dan is intent on staying put in Kingston,but if Pat Kelsey were a serious contender, and Dan has any interest, I would be scared.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Kelsey coached at Xavier, so he's seen the campus.

It is HILARIOUS that he gave "seeing the campus" as a reason he didn't want the job.

They're talking about it now on WEEI.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a week in college basketball coaching huh. Hurley you're still here right? (Hurley stomps) ..Okay good.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:UMass board is saying Chris Mack is taking the Indiana job and Kelsey will be taking the Xavier job (obviously nothing confirmed but that is what they are saying)
This makes sense to me.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Umass twitter is an interesting place right now

https://mobile.twitter.com/umasshoops_com?lang=en
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Pat Kelsey, the definition of a Minuteman... loved that one
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

giovanni wrote:Just a thought, but I never see Ed Cooley mentioned with other jobs and Dan frequently. Not saying, I want to see Cooley leave or mentioned, but with his very good success at a very tough school to win, is it his allegiance to the school and job that keeps him from being mentioned? If that's the case, that's pretty impressive to have a coach that says that is his "dream" job is that loyal. I know he makes a lot more money than Dan for instance, but there are also alot of schools that can pay and offer a helluva lot more. If I am looking for a coach, I contact both guys.
Not saying Cooley will be at PC forever but he just got the 34 million practice facility approved that he was pushing for. Think he wants to see if he can attract even better recruits with that. He has always said from day one his goal was a national championship. To answer your question I think schools contact the agents for the coach's to gage if there is any interest . My guess is Cooley has told his agent he has no interest in listening to other offers at this time.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jay,
Just like UMass alum, Rick Pitino!
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

woodennickel1 wrote:
Not saying Cooley will be at PC forever but he just got the 34 million practice facility approved that he was pushing for. Think he wants to see if he can attract even better recruits with that. He has always said from day one his goal was a national championship. To answer your question I think schools contact the agents for the coach's to gage if there is any interest . My guess is Cooley has told his agent he has no interest in listening to other offers at this time.
Makes sense. I know Ed is very happy at PC. Not one to just talk the talk. But with his success, other schools would be crazy to not at least consider him with what he has done. All you have to do is look at his record and talk to the guy. I know PC pays him well, but obviously other schools can pay a lot more. I give him credit for his loyalty and beliefs. Having a guy born and raised here doesn't hurt either.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2017-2018 Season

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:Not sure where to place this, but this seemed like a fitting thread.

My next door neighbor has a good friend who's close with the Hurley family, Dan in particular. His friend was in contact with Dan as recently as last week and they apparently talk pretty often. His friend said that Dan has repeatedly expressed how much he loves URI and how much his family likes the area. According to this friend, Dan said the only way he leaves URI is if he's fired or is forced to quit for some unforeseen reason. Said that Dan is loyal just like his dad and the big money jobs don't attract him like they do other coaches.

Who knows how much stock you can put into that, but I thought it was interesting information to share with the Rhody family!
In theory that sounds great, but Dan almost left last year for lowly Rutgers. If any legit program comes calling, I'm sure he will be gone.
1 x
Go Rhody