The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote:I guess I was not alone in my thinking.

Found this post on another forum:

Matt Norlander and Gary Parrish, on their CBS college basketball podcast were talking about coaching changes and theories on why Will Wade left a great job at VCU for an average job at LSU in a p5 conference. Parrish put forward the theory based on his conversations with coaches that in this day and age with more and more NCAA bubble bids going to schools in p5 conferences and all the advantages they have in terms of revenue, scheduling in and out of conference that some coaches are saying its easier to make the NCAA as say the 5th best team in the SEC or the 9th best team in the ACC than it is to be the 2nd best team in the A-10. The old way of thinking was that it's better to be at a top 3 job in a bad league than a bottom 3 job in a good league. They went on to talk about with P5 teams expanding the number of in-conference games to 20 for some leagues, and them having the leverage to schedule other P5 teams from other conference in the OOC schedule which will leave teams like Illinois State or other "mid-majors" with less chances for good OOC wins, and then come selection time they will be knocked for not having more top-50 wins.
I do think that's true, but I think it goes further than that, it's conference consistency, top-to-bottom.
In 2013, the A10 was a 5 bid conference.They seeded 4-5-6-9-13.
Out of conference they beat Top 25 teams like Gonzaga, Syracuse, Indiana and New Mexico and Top 50 teams like Marquette, North Carolina, Memphis and Belmont among those tourney teams. The other above .500 teams that year also beat Notre Dame who was a Top 50 team.
In 2014, they built off that to become a 6 bid conference, seeded 5-5-6-9-10-11. Out of conference they beat Top 25 teams like Virginia, Gonzaga and Creighton and Top 50 teams like Maryland, New Mexico, BYU, and Providence.
Since then, the A10 has gone 7-8-11 (playin), 7-8-10, and 7-10-11 (automatic - playin more than likely).
The ineffectiveness of the middle as well as the top to consistently secure Top 50 wins has limited the room for error of the top teams in the A10.
Per KenPom, this year the A10 was the worst it's been since 2011, and 4th worst as far as KenPom goes back to 2002. It wasn't much better in 2015 and 2016.
URI this season was a perfect example of that, they struggled to come along OOC, but had they suffered an upset in the A10 tournament, it's very possible they never see the lights of March.
It's imperative for the A10 as a conference (if they want to earn a good next TV contract, and continue to retain their talented coaches), to at least stay consistently close to the 2013 level as a strong 4 bid conferences with 3 or 4 teams very strong on the bubble or NIT picture.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Seem to be having one heckuva time getting a replacement. VCU did it well. Focused on guy they wanted and were happy with, went after him and got everything done quickly.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RF1 wrote:I guess I was not alone in my thinking.

Found this post on another forum:

Matt Norlander and Gary Parrish, on their CBS college basketball podcast were talking about coaching changes and theories on why Will Wade left a great job at VCU for an average job at LSU in a p5 conference. Parrish put forward the theory based on his conversations with coaches that in this day and age with more and more NCAA bubble bids going to schools in p5 conferences and all the advantages they have in terms of revenue, scheduling in and out of conference that some coaches are saying its easier to make the NCAA as say the 5th best team in the SEC or the 9th best team in the ACC than it is to be the 2nd best team in the A-10. The old way of thinking was that it's better to be at a top 3 job in a bad league than a bottom 3 job in a good league. They went on to talk about with P5 teams expanding the number of in-conference games to 20 for some leagues, and them having the leverage to schedule other P5 teams from other conference in the OOC schedule which will leave teams like Illinois State or other "mid-majors" with less chances for good OOC wins, and then come selection time they will be knocked for not having more top-50 wins.
I do think that's true, but I think it goes further than that, it's conference consistency, top-to-bottom.
In 2013, the A10 was a 5 bid conference.They seeded 4-5-6-9-13.
Out of conference they beat Top 25 teams like Gonzaga, Syracuse, Indiana and New Mexico and Top 50 teams like Marquette, North Carolina, Memphis and Belmont among those tourney teams. The other above .500 teams that year also beat Notre Dame who was a Top 50 team.
In 2014, they built off that to become a 6 bid conference, seeded 5-5-6-9-10-11. Out of conference they beat Top 25 teams like Virginia, Gonzaga and Creighton and Top 50 teams like Maryland, New Mexico, BYU, and Providence.
Since then, the A10 has gone 7-8-11 (playin), 7-8-10, and 7-10-11 (automatic - playin more than likely).
The ineffectiveness of the middle as well as the top to consistently secure Top 50 wins has limited the room for error of the top teams in the A10.
Per KenPom, this year the A10 was the worst it's been since 2011, and 4th worst as far as KenPom goes back to 2002. It wasn't much better in 2015 and 2016.
URI this season was a perfect example of that, they struggled to come along OOC, but had they suffered an upset in the A10 tournament, it's very possible they never see the lights of March.
It's imperative for the A10 as a conference (if they want to earn a good next TV contract, and continue to retain their talented coaches), to at least stay consistently close to the 2013 level as a strong 4 bid conferences with 3 or 4 teams very strong on the bubble or NIT picture.
for A10 teams its really important you win those OOC conference games, AND that the rest of the A10 plays and beats other good teams. That just isnt really a worry in the P6 conferences.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, here we go again.
Word is, Thompson is gone.
Now we start the Hurley to Georgetown thread.
Sure, he can take Cox with him as his DC area guy.
Not a P5 job, but one with a lot of tradition.
Could be a fit.
Here's the biggest hook of all:
"Georgetown University paid John Thompson III a salary of over $3.6 million, according to the university’s most recent publicly available financial data. The data, a 990 form filed with the IRS from 2014 made public due to Georgetown’s status as a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, indicates that Thompson received a total of $3,671,620 from Georgetown in 2014."
That's 3.6 times what Dan makes here.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

giovanni wrote:
This is the one job that concerned me this offseason and I was glad it hadn't been open. Get ready to pony up President Dooley and Thorr!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, here we go again.
Word is, Thompson is gone.
Now we start the Hurley to Georgetown thread.
Sure, he can take Cox with him as his DC area guy.
Not a P5 job, but one with a lot of tradition.
Could be a fit.
Here's the biggest hook of all:
"Georgetown University paid John Thompson III a salary of over $3.6 million, according to the university’s most recent publicly available financial data. The data, a 990 form filed with the IRS from 2014 made public due to Georgetown’s status as a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, indicates that Thompson received a total of $3,671,620 from Georgetown in 2014."
That's 3.6 times what Dan makes here.

One would think he would certainly listen if contacted. This job is a much better gig than Rutgers from all angles - compensation, history, past, potential, etc...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That is a job to be concerned about for Rhody fans.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

In reality, there's no way URI can bring anywhere close to
what Georgetown can offer.
Even if the Hoyas doubled Dan's salary, not to mention the perks.
National exposure, better conference, big media center......
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

If the reports are true, Georgetown probably already has their next coach lined up. You don't wait two+ weeks to fire your coach unless you were waiting for someone to be available and they were ready to accept.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not always true.
Plenty of coaches fired and those jobs are still open.
The danger period is when coaches go to the Final Four.
Lots of networking happens, and deals are made.
Much of this is done through back-channels, like
agents or lawyers.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

If Georgetown stays in the family, Charlotte Hornets assistant coach Patrick Ewing makes the most sense. If outside, Hoyas should make a run at Harvard's Tommy Amaker.

Andy Katz, ESPN Senior Writer
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They seemed to be first reporting Thompson being out

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:That is a job to be concerned about for Rhody fans.
You called this possibility earlier in year, about JT III on hot seat and Hoya job being something to worry about as far as Dan looking at. I agree. East coast, BE school, great tradition, good recruiting base and lots of money. Hopefully they do have someone like Amaker or Ewing in their minds and works out, but if not, I can certainly see Dan being mentioned. We all knew of this possibility and expected it with the success we had this year. As we all said, if his name is mentioned elsewhere, it can only be due to team's success.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yep, it's already started.

Mike Brodsky‏ @brodskyme · 13m13 minutes ago

Ok everyone, leading candidates for the Georgetown Job....

A Daly Dose Of Hoops‏
@DalyDoseOfHoops

 @brodskyme Dan Hurley

12:44 PM - 23 Mar 2017
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I am sure JT Sr has some serious contacts in business and I am sure will not hire any guy. Wonder if or how close of a relationship he may have with Bob Hurley Sr?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

giovanni wrote:
bigappleram wrote:That is a job to be concerned about for Rhody fans.
You called this possibility earlier in year, about JT III on hot seat and Hoya job being something to worry about as far as Dan looking at. I agree. East coast, BE school, great tradition, good recruiting base and lots of money. Hopefully they do have someone like Amaker or Ewing in their minds and works out, but if not, I can certainly see Dan being mentioned. We all knew of this possibility and expected it with the success we had this year. As we all said, if his name is mentioned elsewhere, it can only be due to team's success.
Not to mention it's a catholic school, and he's familiar with that concept.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
giovanni
Carlton Owens

How about Cooley? Could there be interest in him? Same conference I guess would be very difficult. That money can attract a lot of names.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Amaker is the name that most people are mentioning on twitter.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Why hasn't Cooley's name come up with any jobs? He went to four straight NCAA tournaments! Is Providence that great a job? he would double his salary at a place like Georgetown.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Evan Daniels thoughts...

Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels · 2m2 minutes ago

 Be curious to see what names emerge for the Georgetown job. Names that wouldn't surprise me: Dan Hurley, Archie Miller & Tommy Amaker
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:They seemed to be first reporting Thompson being out

Amaker grew up nearby in Falls Church, VA and attended high school in Fairfax, VA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Amaker
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Patrick Ewing would be like St. Johns hiring Mullins.
It's a crapshoot with someone with no real coaching
experience, or recruiting experience, in college.
Amaker is from Falls Church, VA.
His wife's clinical psychologist practice is in Boston.
A reason given for his not taking other job offeres.
Plus, he's very involved with the Harvard culture.
We shall see.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

If they stay in house, Patrick Ewing makes sense. If outside, Tommy Amaker seems to make a lot of sense. A lot of experience in coaching. Worked under Coach K, had moderate success at SH and very good success at Harvard. Also from Virginia originally. He would seem to be a good fit. I have read where Ewing has donated millions to Gtown as well as Roy Hibbert and Jeff Green both over a million.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote:

I would imagine the question of John Thompson II is very much up in the air. He cannot be happy that his son got forced out. I however have a tough time seeing him not involved with Georgetown hoops since he built the brand. Their new practice facility is named for him. If he remains involved many coaches may not be interested (as Goodman alluded to). Furthermore he may have enough influence to get a candidate hired that he likes and meets his desired profile.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Amaker did have a losing conference record at Michigan
and Seton Hall. He was fired from Michigan, and
never made the NCAA in six seasons.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Amaker did have a losing conference record at Michigan

Amaker's postseason record as Head Coach
NCAA 4–5
NIT 10–6
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I'd choose Hurley over Ewing or Amaker. But Georgetown has the resources to lure someone from another major program. Wouldn't surprise me if it's someone more established that's not being mentioned.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

At the time I believe he was very young, maybe the youngest coach in BE at the time he was there. SH had been down, he did get to a sweet 16. And Michigan program was a mess and on probation. They had some serious issues going on. In his defense, apparently cleared up some issues of the basketball court.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1 wrote:Amaker's postseason record as Head Coach
NCAA 4–5
NIT 10–6
Very solid.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Amaker did have a losing conference record at Michigan

Amaker's postseason record as Head Coach
NCAA 4–5
NIT 10–6
Includes an NCAA Sweet-16 at SHU and two first round wins at Harvard. NIT Championship at Michigan.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Zags throwing out Hurley's name.
Very curious, since he's usually a barometer
of all things Hurley.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Dan has to catch a flight to DC tonight at around, say....8:00? for a scheduled interview? Thus, perhaps the change to an earlier time for the "celebration" today?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Maybe Dan has to catch a flight to DC tonight at around, say....8:00? for a scheduled interview? Thus, perhaps the change to an earlier time for the "celebration" today?
I didn't want to say that and sound paranoid, but I'd be lying if that thought didn't cross my mind.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Come on, guys.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Would not surprise me at all if DH goes. Would it suck? Yes, but it would not surprise me at all...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm just going to request we hold off on speculating on Dan's replacement until it is confirmed he is at least interviewing for the job.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right, please, for the good of humanity.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Zags doesn't just throw Dan's name out there.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, that's my point.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oddly, I'm wearing a Georgetown sweatshirt today.
I originally got it because it has a bulldog on it.
Never been a big Hoyas fan.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think it should shock anyone if Dan is a candidate. But if he's going to be, there will be plenty of time to speculate on the dominos that will fall at URI. My ask is that we let that time come organically and not get ahead of ourselves with speculation.
2 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Just as interesting.......where does Thompson go.?........Duquesne or URI?
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Worried about this, however...

has anyone else noticed Rod's posts are becoming more and more like haikus?
rodfromcranston wrote:How many years did Syracuse never leave
The Dome until January?
They even had their own BS tournament.
3 x