The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:VCU has become like Xavier...everyone wants their coaches.......let's see if VCU can either bring in another good one or promote from within like X did.....life as a mid major....really hard to keep coaches, even though Wade made 2 mil a year at VCU.....

LSU has the money and resources to be really good, but the SEC hasn't had the number of bids that other P5 conferences have been getting.

BB will always be second fiddle there.

Last Four Coaches at VCU 2002-17

Jeff Capel 2002-06 - Oklahoma
Anthony Grant 2006-09 - Alabama
Shaka Smart 2009-15 - Texas
Will Wade 2015-17 - LSU
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

BleedBlue87 wrote:There is some straight bullshit with the way some of these P5 teams schedule their non-conference games. Duke has played I think only 9 hostile road games in the past 8 years. That's a joke. There should be some sort of rule on that.
Until the NCAA and obvious nepotism.hire Dan Gavitt force teams to play real non-confidence road games, this will never change, especially as more cartel leagues expand and follow the ACC's lead and play 20 league games a season.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RF1 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:VCU has become like Xavier...everyone wants their coaches.......let's see if VCU can either bring in another good one or promote from within like X did.....life as a mid major....really hard to keep coaches, even though Wade made 2 mil a year at VCU.....

LSU has the money and resources to be really good, but the SEC hasn't had the number of bids that other P5 conferences have been getting.

BB will always be second fiddle there.

Last Four Coaches at VCU 2002-17

Jeff Capel 2002-06 - Oklahoma
Anthony Grant 2006-09 - Alabama
Shaka Smart 2009-15 - Texas
Will Wade 2015-17 - LSU
Yes to a degree, but former Xavier coaches have all had much greater success than VCU guys. Smart and obviously Wade still have a shot to make their mark at major and traditionally football schools.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Feel bad for VCU fans. It is an emotional roller coaster when your coach leaves and you go through the hiring process. making it worse for them is that they have had to go through this four times in the last eleven years. Their program however has done a good job replacing coaches and sustaining success.

Many younger Rhody fans probably can't relate to what is happening at VCU. It is not a good feeling. We have not fully experienced it since 1999 as the previous two head coaches were fired. You have to go back before them from 1988-1999 when Penders left for Texas, Skinner to BC, and Harrick to Georgia. There has been some nervousness here the last few years with Hurley potentially linked to some jobs. That however is nothing compared to the real thing - something Rhody fans may need to prepare themselves for at some point in the near future.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote: Yes to a degree, but former Xavier coaches have all had much greater success than VCU guys. Smart and obviously Wade still have a shot to make their mark at major and traditionally football schools.
Xavier Head Coaches
Gillen 1985-94 - Providence
Prosser 1994-01 - Wake Forest
Matta 2001-04 - Ohio State
Miller 2004-09 - Arizona

Xavier benefited by keeping their coaches (4 coaches over 24 years) for a longer period than VCU (4 coaches over 11 years).
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Math doesn't really work that way. Both coach's have offset clauses. You don't just add up the liquid damages from both schools and get $11M.

Crean will get hired and that $4M goes away. The UCLA number I don't know.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Jeesh Wade didnt even tell his team nor the administration and they all found out via twitter. Fucking brutal.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

WW is getting trashed on their board, and rightfully so......that's the kind of thing that could set a program back some.....all depends on who leaves and who decommits.....
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The difference for us RF1 is that the exception of the Al/Harrick changes, our last 2 were hopeful ones.

VCU doesn't want to lose their run of success. April 1, 1999 was AWFUL. Especially with all the back and forth of will he stay or will he go. I remember my family being glued to channel 10 while Friar Frank Carpano was outside Keaney reporting live every hour with different news - first about him staying, then him going for good.

We had success and knew we needed another Harrick type successful hire to make something good happen. That's what VCU is going through.

At least with our last 2 changes we knew that it could only get better. The risk for VCU stepping on a landmine increases when the only place to go is down.

I do have to be honest though - why would you ever want to leave VCU as a basketball coach? You are the king there. You have everything you want. Going to a football school, while rich is resources, you'll never be the king. Shaka going to Texas didn't make sense to me. He had no connections to Texas. They're a football school. He could've stayed at VCU and continued the success and taken literally any job that was open. That was the level he was at. He could've taken over for Roy Williams at UNC when he was ready to hang em up. Instead he's far away from his recruiting base and is now in a rebuild far from home.

Same with Will Wade. He could've continued to rise and get VCU back to the Shaka/2nd weekend regular level, and taken any job he wanted. Will Wade went to Clemson. He's from Tennessee. With the exception of a brief stint with Amaker at Harvard, his college and basketball life has been within a few hundred miles of each other at Clemson, Chattanooga, and 2 stints at VCU.

Again...in the same vein of what I've said about Hurley's prospects here vs the P5. I don't care who you are as a coach - it is much easier to make the SAME NCAA TOURNAMENT that everyone else makes by being in the top 3 of the A10, than trying to break through the top half of your P5 conference from the bottom. And before we start up the "yeah but if you make the top half of your conference in the P5 you get in no matter what" arguments, the schools that are making the dance aren't making coaching changes.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Comparing USF in the 1950's to LSU this century is ridiculous.
Final Four in 2006, 3 SEC Championships since 2000,
superb facilities.
A rich basketball tradition of 21 NCAAs, 4 Final Fours,
6 Elite 8s, 9 Sweet 16s.
Last year's number one NBA draft pick.
Truly a sleeping giant, with deep pockets.
Do some research before making comments like that.

As for coaches changing jobs, P5 schools offer things no
A-10 school can give.
Chartered jet at the coach's disposal for recruiting,
huge budget for the same, high pay for assistant coaches,
and great state of the art facilities.
A P5 coach can go .500 in conference and go to the NCAAs.
Infinitely more chances to get top 50 wins, vs. mid-majors,
who have to load up on non conference schedule to even come close.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

blueman - I agree with your general point and most everything you are saying here, but I think you're selling the Texas job short. It isn't the same as the LSU job. The Texas job is one of about a dozen jobs that you take if it is offered to you if you work anywhere but at one of the other 11 jobs on that list. While the Texas basketball program has always been very good but not super elite, they are the richest athletic department in world, the school is a religion in a state that is basically its own very wealthy industrialized nation, they are a national brand, etc. I don't fault Shaka for making that move. LSU is a totally different thing. LSU as a brand has a hyperlocal appeal in a relatively poor and small state, and nobody there gives a damn about basketball.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"The LSU men’s basketball team posted the third-highest increase in the country in paid attendance from the 2014-15 season to the 2015-16 season, according to figures released Wednesday by the NCAA.

The Tigers averaged 11,382 fans for 18 games at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center in 2015-16"

It must be because "nobody gives a damn about basketball", right?

LSU also topped NCAA in baseball attendance for the 20th straight year.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Or because they had the consensus #1 pick in the draft on that team. What were their attendance numbers this year? (I see you added baseball, which has nothing to do with conversation. If VCU's baseball coach left for LSU I would consider that a no-brainer.)

Anyways, you're confusing my point, or I am not expressing it correctly. LSU is a fine program and an OBVIOUS move if you're coaching Louisiana Tech or Southern Mississippi or Central Florida or Arkansas A&M. Hell, there are P5 jobs that I would leave for LSU. I just think that if you're at a place like VCU which is basically a turnkey operation at this point and you can finish in the top 3 or 4 in a good league even in down years and make the tournament every year, I'm not leaving for LSU or Texas Tech or Georgia or Colorado. There are too many impediments to success and the schools have so much money to make a change if you don't succeed quickly that I would prefer the security and guaranteed success of a place like VCU until I could get one of the truly elite jobs. Maybe that is just me. It obviously isn't Will Wade.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:There is some straight bullshit with the way some of these P5 teams schedule their non-conference games. Duke has played I think only 9 hostile road games in the past 8 years. That's a joke. There should be some sort of rule on that.
Until the NCAA and obvious nepotism.hire Dan Gavitt force teams to play real non-confidence road games, this will never change, especially as more cartel leagues expand and follow the ACC's lead and play 20 league games a season.
The problem is it's a double-edged sword. You tell them you want them to go play tougher road games OOC, and then when they play ok in a tough conference, you bash them for their OOC losses.

It's easy to say that it's lop-sided for weaker conferences, but they'll still get their 5 or 6 tough road games along the way, whereas in a weak conference you might only get 1 or 2 in conference. So they should play a tough OOC road schedule and a tough conference slate, where weaker conferences should play an easier conference slate? That's where the argument is lost.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'd be surprised if Alford doesn't end up in Indiana. It hasn't been a lot of fun for him and his family in LA where fans question whether he can coach and said his kid wasn't good enough to be on the team.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

LSU has the potential to be a top job. Before Florida stepped up under Billy Donovan, they were the second program in the SEC. They give their coaches everything they need to a successful.
Look at the talent Johnny Jones was able to recruit there. If he was even an adequate coach, he might have a national championship there.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think with all these SEC schools other than Kentucky, and maybe Florida now, they may cycle in and out of being good basketball programs for short periods of time but they do not have the focus of the fans and administrative people to sustain it over long periods. They are rightfully focused on football.

In the 90s it was Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams. The LSU team with Big Baby Davis was a good team and came during a brief uptick for LSU that corresponded with Kentucky being out in the wilderness briefly. (Just two years later John Brady was out on his ass.) Vandy has had their moments, Ole Miss or A&M could land a good recruiting class and flash every once in a while as a Sweet 16 type of team, South Carolina is having that type of season this year. But over any 4-8 year period, all of these programs will also cycle backwards and when they do they just change coaches because that is the simplest and easiest way to deal with it. They don't have to invest attention or energy, just cash.

If it were my job I'd want either a higher ceiling (i.e., a truly elite job at a program that should legimitately be in the top-10 just about every year) or more security that you get being a big fish in a small pond, like Shaka had at VCU, Miller has at Dayton, Marshall at WSU, Cooley at PC. Can you imagine how bad these guys would have to be and for how long to get fired? Stacking that up against 1.3x the salary in a place where success isn't certain and sustained success is basically not possible, it just isn't a decision I would ever make, personally.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

TP, it's all in how you look at it. If you are elite for a long-period of time at a "mid-major," then you can do that. Shaka was getting looks from UCLA, Texas, etc. because his program was perennial Top 25, making and winning tournament games, etc. Gregg Marshall and Mark Few could say the same things. But it comes down to multiple factors, there are schools at the mid-major levels that are going to offer more resources than others. VCU was offering Smart more resources than say, Duquesne. Gonzaga will offer more basketball resources than Portland St. Those are things that help bridge a competitive gap. You can't make the tournament every other year, or once every three years, and get that huge, life altering jump. Most coaches aren't going to be like Shaka Smart and be able to dictate if they go to UCLA, Texas, Duke, etc. Smart also had a luxury to help wait it out -- he was making $2 million per + other benefits + charter trips + practice facility, etc. VCU was not cheap when it came to Shaka or his program, and that investment led to results.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I feel like you're saying the exact some thing as I am, right? I'm not sure if you perceive there to be some disagreement between what you just said and what I've been saying? In this case we are specifically talking about VCU and LSU, and to help contextualize we can talk about Wichita St., Gonzaga, Dayton, etc. But nobody is making the argument that going from Duquesne to Pitt or George Mason to Maryland wouldn't be a good idea. I feel like I've tried pretty hard to make that point clear.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ok, that makes sense ... I interpreted your point more big picture, that any coach at any smaller basketball school should wait for a great offer over a prolonged period of time rather than ride a single wave to some success and see where you can land. In many cases, the short wave is better than the long one, just depends on the surfboard and the guy riding it.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One thing from reading the VCU board, I'm curious why so many don't want someone from Shaka's coaching tree.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well each situation should be evaluated in its own right. Earlier in this thread I argued that King Rice shouldn't leave Monmouth for Duquesne job - I don't think he should be waiting for the Duke job to open, but in every case I think you have to weigh a number of factors but primary among them is the ratio of pay to likelihood of success - is King Rice going to make enough more money at Duquesne to justify taking a job that he will likely fail at for reasons that don't have a lot to do with him versus staying at Monmouth as long as he wants until he eventually gets a shot at a program with more upside. It's the same question I'd have asked if I was Will Wade, and I'd have answered it differently than Wade apparently did. That isn't to say that there aren't jobs that would justify leaving.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote:
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:Well each situation should be evaluated in its own right. Earlier in this thread I argued that King Rice shouldn't leave Monmouth for Duquesne job - I don't think he should be waiting for the Duke job to open, but in every case I think you have to weigh a number of factors but primary among them is the ratio of pay to likelihood of success - is King Rice going to make enough more money at Duquesne to justify taking a job that he will likely fail at for reasons that don't have a lot to do with him versus staying at Monmouth as long as he wants until he eventually gets a shot at a program with more upside. It's the same question I'd have asked if I was Will Wade, and I'd have answered it differently than Wade apparently did. That isn't to say that there aren't jobs that would justify leaving.
It depends on the coach. Obviously King Rice is as a recruiting disadvantage at Monmouth. His stock has never been higher -- has he even made a tournament? He graduates 5 of 6 core players, his Monmouth team is going to slip. There only way to make the tournament is basically to win the conference tournament, which will be harder as he rebuilds his roster. Maybe he sees the resources and paths in a more talented conference as a way to help him keep his stock trending up.

Sometimes you have to assess your conference as much as anything else. Not every school is a VCU, Wichita St. or Gonzaga where they can schedule dynamic OOC schedules to make up for playing 14 or so 100+ games in conference.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Well each situation should be evaluated in its own right. Earlier in this thread I argued that King Rice shouldn't leave Monmouth for Duquesne job - I don't think he should be waiting for the Duke job to open, but in every case I think you have to weigh a number of factors but primary among them is the ratio of pay to likelihood of success - is King Rice going to make enough more money at Duquesne to justify taking a job that he will likely fail at for reasons that don't have a lot to do with him versus staying at Monmouth as long as he wants until he eventually gets a shot at a program with more upside. It's the same question I'd have asked if I was Will Wade, and I'd have answered it differently than Wade apparently did. That isn't to say that there aren't jobs that would justify leaving.
If I was King Rice I would say no to Duquesne and yes to UMass.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
It depends on the coach. Obviously King Rice is as a recruiting disadvantage at Monmouth. His stock has never been higher -- has he even made a tournament? He graduates 5 of 6 core players, his Monmouth team is going to slip. There only way to make the tournament is basically to win the conference tournament, which will be harder as he rebuilds his roster. Maybe he sees the resources and paths in a more talented conference as a way to help him keep his stock trending up.

Sometimes you have to assess your conference as much as anything else. Not every school is a VCU, Wichita St. or Gonzaga where they can schedule dynamic OOC schedules to make up for playing 14 or so 100+ games in conference.
Right, but I guess my point is that Duquesne is a uniquely and specifically bad job. I'd say even the Fordham job is better in the A10. If it were really any other job in the A10 I would say he should jump at it, but it's just hard for me to see how he is going to leap so many programs with better resources, facilities, recruiting bases, etc. and make that a contending program. And he would have to, because if he doesn't then the frog hop game that is his coaching career comes to an end. In your league, I'd say the same thing about the DePaul job. I don't think coaches on their way up should take jobs like that - those programs should be coached by guys on their way down - they should be going after guys that just got let go from better programs and those types of guys should want to go there. It can be a win-win. But if I were early in my career I would choose carefully.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy - 100% agree. I think the UMass job would be the right kind of fit for Rice and I think Rice would be good at UMass. If he could keep their young core on board, UMass would have greatly increased its outlook in the short term by replacing Kellogg with Rice.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I hope Rhoades is good but I worry this will really set VCU back. They already losing JeQuan Lewis who I rated as perhaps the best player in the conference last year and a bunch of other seniors such as Allie Cox. Not to mention this will likely screw up recruiting for the 2nd time in 3 years and suddenly a transfer or two could really be really devastating.

As for wade himself I think he deserves some credit for taking a NIT level team to the NCAA this year. But his success was mostly with Shakas players. It amazes me any massive school would give him a massive contract based on his coaching career thus far.

People act like VCU will just be good every year but the truth is any a10 program can fall back to mediocrity In a hurry. Someone talked about them "getting back to consistently making the second weekend" when in reality they have made the second weekend once in program history.

Dayton would take a miracle to make the NIT next year and VCU will be very unlikely to make the dance at large. Really need Rhody and maybe SBU or some team I'm overlooking to step up if we are to get 3+ bids again.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would have said at the beginning of this year that it would be a miracle if Providence made the NIT, and they got an at-large. I know Dayton and VCU are both losing good household-name players, but they (especially Dayton because they haven't had any disruptions) have been recruiting replacements for these guys as college teams always have to do. With good coaching and talented players getting the chance to step into the void, I wouldn't just write these programs off for next year already.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

VCU has Lavar Batts, a 4* PG coming in, Mayan Kiir, a 4* center and a couple of good PFs. I think they'll be ok.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billy, I agree but their fans are very concerned about their class holding together based on the discussion on their board.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe one of the big guys can come and join the team that beat their school twice this year...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Maybe one of the big guys can come and join the team that beat their school twice this year...
VCU won't allow that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

FIFTEEN NCAAs under Dale Brown,.
Too bad there was no consistent winning period at LSU.
Won over 400 games there.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If VCU loses those recruits that will set them back a couple of years.

They do seem to be moving VERY quickly on a new hire though. Makes you wonder who knew what was going on and when.

I'm with Rod on the LSU job. Even though the future looked bright at VCU, taking that job was a no brainer for Wade.

LSU obviously has the resources and desire to be a national championship contender.

If you're a coach and you get that opportunity, you take it.

That will happen to us at some point again.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:FIFTEEN NCAAs under Dale Brown,.
I think it's more a perception thing, i.e. what do you think of when you think of that school? If we're talking P-5 you're either football or basketball. Sure there's support for either, but there are some clear dividing lines. It's nice to be good in both, but certain schools very clearly care about 1 over the other:

Texas - Football
Alabama - Football
Kansas - Basketball
USC - Football
Duke - Basketball
Notre Dame - Football
North Carolina - Basketball
Kentucky - Basketball
Oklahoma - Football
Kansas - Basketball
LSU - Football
Indiana - Basketball
Clemson - Football

etc, etc.

If Texas or Alabama basketball loses a game, life goes on. If Texas or Alabama football loses a game? People legitimately contemplate suicide.
If Duke loses to UNC in football how many people really get broken up that don't play on the team? If UNC loses to Duke in basketball? The world stops turning for their fans.

Of course the resources are night and day at any of those programs compare to basketball only - but that isn't the end all be all.

Gonzaga, Villanova, Xavier, Dayton, Wichita State, VCU, Butler, etc have all made great national names for themselves without football dollars.

Certainly not saying that LSU isn't capable of being a good or great basketball program, or that they haven't had success. I am however saying that LSU could win a national championship in basketball and if LSU football doesn't beat Alabama in a regular season game the campus will still burn and no one will feel good about anything.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Does LSU really have the resources? I seem to remember reading just before last football season that there was a huge budget issue in the state, LSU's budget would be cut severely, and athletics wouldn't be immune.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:FIFTEEN NCAAs under Dale Brown,.
I don't see what the Dale Brown era, which effectively ended a quarter century ago, has to do with my point that I wouldn't leave VCU to go to LSU if it were MY career. I guess I should have specified that I meant today, not that I wouldn't leave VCU to get into a time machine so I could coach LSU in 1985 (I would definitely do that, but mostly because I think I'd enjoy time travel).
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Does LSU really have the resources? I seem to remember reading just before last football season that there was a huge budget issue in the state, LSU's budget would be cut severely, and athletics wouldn't be immune.
Athletics may not be immune from state funding cuts, but the money they use to fund football and basketball programs, and especially coach salaries and buyouts, is donor cash. Unless donors decide they are going to shift their resources to the academic mission of the school to back fill for budget cuts (LOLOL) then the budget cuts should not impact sports much - at least not the visible ones.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It would be interesting if we could come up with a number as to the total donated to the BB program [last fiscal year] at URI....and compare that to other programs, big and small.

Make a ranking of basketball donor money in the A10, for example.

I know it's probably more of a ballpark estimate but it would reveal some things.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Even after Shaka left for Texas, VCU and Wade still got the highest rated recruits in the conference, including Dayton and Miller. I don't think that's going to change.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote:

Interesting who their final candidates were.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basket ... ach-032117
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Umass message board happy about the new coach so far

http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view ... start=1245
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The LSU athletic budget is 92 million dollars, plus.
Texas is 120 million and they suck at football and basketball
at this time.
Who your coaches are, means everything.
Maybe Shaka can revive Texas basketball.
Time will tell.
The other things are booster clubs and athletic endowments.
FSU's booster club has 22 million in the pot.
The P5 numbers make you wonder how mid majors can
ever complete on anything more than short
periods of time, attached to a good coach or a
star player or two.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Very good hire for UMass. Hopefully it encourages some of their young guys to stay in the boat.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

My daughter and her husband are LSU football season ticket holders, both are graduates and avid LSU supporters, but they never bring up basketball.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can scratch new umass HC off the Quinipiac list of candidates. He was being mentioned as the leading candidate for the Quinipiac job.
http://web.saxo.nhregister.com/sports/2 ... ball-coach
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, certainly explains why we're left with the scraps when it comes to recruiting, or having to gamble on bringing in guys who we hope become late bloomers.....when we've had success in the past, it's usually been with guys who weren't that highly rated coming out of HS or prep....

And it really is all about the coaching when it comes to mid majors...player development is EVERYTHING at our level, along with being good at X's and O's.

VCU with their sustained success, is one of very few mids that get more than their share of highly rated players...and it took a final four run out of nowhere to get that started...and the school went all in and took advantage of it.....

URI right now is at the very beginning of that cycle...and they have to take advantage of it just like VCU did.
0 x