Game #28: VCU Saturday Feb 25 2:00PM Ryan Center ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #28: VCU Saturday Feb 25 2:00PM Ryan Center ESPN2

Unread post by ramster »

These defensive statistics are amazing for Rhody's starting Big Men vs VCU's starting Big Men:

Martin 23 minutes, 18 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 TO, 4 fouls
Iverson 36 minutes, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 TO, 1 steal, 2 fouls
versus
Tillman 17 minutes, 1 rebound, 0 blocks, 0 TO, 2 fouls
Alie-Cox 19 minutes, 2 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal, 1 TO, 4 fouls

Combined our 2 guys outrebounded 26 to 3 , out-blocked 5 to 1. Plus our big men played 59 minutes to their 36

Never have I seen our Big Men manhandle VCU's Big Men like today. Martin was out of this world.

Total we had 48 rebounds to their 31, helped also by Terrell's enormous contribution of 10 rebounds.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote:Hass: 17 points. 18 rebounds. In what, 20 minutes?!
23 minutes. Amazing performance.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The douchebags in virginny are saying this was our super bowl. HAHAHAHA, When was VCU in the top 25 this year??? Never. Hope Dayton kicks their ass and we beat them in the tournament and they get left out.
6 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We finally lived up to our preseason billing today. Now we have to play like this every single game.
6 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

as I watched this game at the bar, I was highly entertaining to the rest of the regulars who only had to ask me to stop swearing 3 times. hitting free throws made the difference in this ref controlled game. When VCU called the timeout with the score 39-51, I could hear the echos from past games ringing in my ears...
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Big time victory. Needed everything everyone gave.

Look at Jarvis at the line. Wow.

Hassan Martin shouldn't even play defense anymore. He scores at will. Just let the guy score and then avoid fouling. He's unstoppable!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Ryan center needs more credit for how great of a basketball environment it has. Amazing game, Has was everything we hoped him to be and Garret was clutch, no wonder we were bad at free throws before, because he was out! Also Dowtin looked like a freshman today but that's okay. Onto philly.
4 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:The douchebags in virginny are saying this was our super bowl. HAHAHAHA, When was VCU in the top 25 this year??? Never. Hope Dayton kicks their ass and we beat them in the tournament and they get left out.
It was a huge game for both teams since there is no home-home, only a single game. Plus it is late in the season, VCU now has to travel to Dayton and finish with a tough George Mason team.
A bigger win and a more important win for URI since just trying to get on the bubble, but still a loss that was not pretty for VCU especially with the rebounding beating they took. Makes for an interesting return matchup in the A10 Tourney if we see them again.
2 x
FroggyTheFan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by FroggyTheFan »

bigappleram wrote: When they called timeout at 51-38 not sure I have heard the Ryan Center that loud in a long, long time.
That was my favorite moment of the season. The crowd was electric and people were high fiving like crazy. What a win!
8 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I haven't read yet and sure I'm repeating, but what a tough win! Finally showed their mettle. Jarvis, IMO, was the key in the second half. He stabilized us during the VCU run. The other key was hanging on at the end of the first half, when all our guys were out. Another huge game by Terell! And what can you say about Hassan, what a warrior. CT played well in the first half and helped immensely. EC had one key hoop too; otherwise not so super. Iverson stayed out of foul trouble which was important. Langevine held his own on D and got enough minutes in to relieve Hassan during his foul trouble. Dowtin needed help facing VCU's pressure and Jarvis stepped in, big time. What an intense atmosphere. Great win!!!! The refs, well....
3 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Great win!

Big confidence builder for Garrett. Need his steadiness in big games even if he can only play limited minutes.

We hit two fast break 3s which was the turning point of the game. Wish we would look for those quick open 3s more often. There such momentum builders.

I'm anti-zone because it usually results in 3s and offensive rebounds but if Martin can rebound like he did today and we got KI's length out there to contest the 3s, maybe it will work going forward. Certainly worked today.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

And Hurley deserves credit for changing things up late in the first half. Critical and successful moves, good coaching!!!
3 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

VCU forums are calling this game "fixed" by the A10.

?? that's one of the more pathetic excuses I've heard
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:The Ryan center needs more credit for how great of a basketball environment it has. Amazing game, Has was everything we hoped him to be and Garret was clutch, no wonder we were bad at free throws before, because he was out! Also Dowtin looked like a freshman today but that's okay. Onto philly.
Rhodymob,
Jeff was 0-6 FG but I think 3 of those were with the shot clock about to expire. Not his best shooting but look at other parts of his game.
He played 35 minutes as a freshman against A VCU team that traditionally has the toughest defense in the A10
Jeff had a game high 4 assists (VCU team had only 6). Some very nice passes for hoops but also other nice passes that did not result in a basket. But Jeff only had 1 turnover while handling the ball a lot.
He raised his A10 Leading Assist/TO Ratio to 3.79 (53 assists/14 TOs). 2nd place guy is 2.7.

He went up against a Senior PG JeQuan Lewis who will likely be 1st Team All A10 this year.

Lewis is VCU's leading scorer at 15.3 but had only 10 today on 5-12 shooting and 0-6 on 3's.

VCU was only 1-15 on 3 pointers today as URI improved their league leading 3 point FG defense from .295 to .284. Jeff has played a key role in this defense statistic with his height, long arms, quickness and defensive IQ.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

FroggyTheFan wrote:
bigappleram wrote: When they called timeout at 51-38 not sure I have heard the Ryan Center that loud in a long, long time.
That was my favorite moment of the season. The crowd was electric and people were high fiving like crazy. What a win!
Crowds rise to their feet at certain timeouts when prompted...but today's crowd did that a few times during play...those are my favorite moments this year....
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Joe wrote:VCU forums are calling this game "fixed" by the A10.

They must have been watching a different game.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:Great win!

Big confidence builder for Garrett. Need his steadiness in big games even if he can only play limited minutes.

We hit two fast break 3s which was the turning point of the game. Wish we would look for those quick open 3s more often. There such momentum builders.

I'm anti-zone because it usually results in 3s and offensive rebounds but if Martin can rebound like he did today and we got KI's length out there to contest the 3s, maybe it will work going forward. Certainly worked today.
Agree on the fast break 3's...they also missed a couple that would have brought the house down, glad they're chucking them up. Thought DH coached a good game, too. There was one point during the game when they announced a sub (and I don't remember now 'who' it was for...) but in our section we gave a collective "why"? and the PA guy had actually made a mistake, it was someone else...

Great win...good to know they can 'play with anyone in the conference' going to Pittsburgh.
1 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Joe wrote:VCU forums are calling this game "fixed" by the A10.

They're also saying that they'd still rather have Mo Cox than Has. :lol: :lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:And Hurley deserves credit for changing things up late in the first half. Critical and successful moves, good coaching!!!
Hurley also handled the substitutions well as 5 of our guys had 4 fouls but none fouled out and we were able to have our important players on the floor at crunch time.

Mathews and Martin both has 4 that limited their playing time to 23 minutes each.

But Langevine got 4 in 13 minutes, Thompson got 4 in 10 minutes and Robinson got 4 in an amazing 5 minutes!! Resulted in Berry getting some important minutes and he handled himself well.

Also was good to have both Dowtin and Garrett in the game late when VCU was trying desperately to steal the ball.
2 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

An alternative great thing about this win is how the team that was more deservant of the win actually ended up with it, considering the Refs were atrocious for both teams. That crew needs to be evaluated!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Garrett showed how important he is to this team, I think the fanbase forgot that due to his illness.

It cracks me up that the VCU board is saying this was fixed. Didn't we have more fouls called on us? That's a funny way to fix a game. Also, VCU was flopping big time until they realized everything was going to be called. Brooks was an embarrassment with his flopping.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Let's say they are right and it was fixed, that makes them 2-1 in fixed games this year so they should be happy.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Credit to Hurley for acknowledging the fact that his group had sent home full house crowds with a loss every time since Nebraska.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Where is doombone?

Anyways, VCU travels pretty well - probably had a couple dozen people in the building. But the ones that made the trip were an embarrassment. The old lady behind me with a voice that sounded like one of those New Years Eve noise makers didn't shut up the whole game and obviously had no clue what was going on - I question whether she even knew what sport she was watching. But she was decked out in VCU gear and came ready to annoy. You'd think if you're a big enough fan to make this trip you'd have some semblance of an idea what you're watching. Combine that with their fans saying the game was rigged and it was our super bowl...I had thought VCU fans were better just going by their attendance. You especially have to love fans of a team that was gifted two wins by refs in the last month complaining that the league is fixing games against them when they got their asses handed to them and only were in the game at all because the officials went nuts calling 10 fouls on Rhody in a six minute stretch in the first half.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......being in the building, didn't see TV, ESPN folks, Tim Welsh have any comments on Rhody, it's season, and Dance chances?
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm sure everything has already been said. Great crowd. Great atmosphere. That's the way the RC has meant to be from the beginning. And I'm just so happy for Jarvis today. I love that kid.
7 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:Where is doombone?

Anyways, VCU travels pretty well - probably had a couple dozen people in the building. But the ones that made the trip were an embarrassment. The old lady behind me with a voice that sounded like one of those New Years Eve noise makers didn't shut up the whole game and obviously had no clue what was going on - I question whether she even knew what sport she was watching. But she was decked out in VCU gear and came ready to annoy. You'd think if you're a big enough fan to make this trip you'd have some semblance of an idea what you're watching. Combine that with their fans saying the game was rigged and it was our super bowl...I had thought VCU fans were better just going by their attendance. You especially have to love fans of a team that was gifted two wins by refs in the last month complaining that the league is fixing games against them when they got their asses handed to them and only were in the game at all because the officials went nuts calling 10 fouls on Rhody in a six minute stretch in the first half.
TP Rambone is in Daytona
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Same here, Billyboy.
All the crap thrown at him on this
board.
Ramster sounds like Dowtin's uncle.
What Jarvis does isn't always quantified by stats.
The kid has a giant heart.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

After the game, I talked to a VCU fan who was quite gracious. He said Cox had been battling back issues, but he gave credit to Hass and Kuran for their play. Maybe he wasn't representative of other fans.
Last edited by Rhody74 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote:......being in the building, didn't see TV, ESPN folks, Tim Welsh have any comments on Rhody, it's season, and Dance chances?
Welsh was pretty good. I actually like him doing color (of course hated him when he was at Pee Cee).

He said that URI was likely a bit over-rated at the start of the season, and that they have battled real injury and illness problems. He said Dan has built a solid program and gave credit to Harrick and CFL at one point.

Hugs and kisses with that stuff mostly, but he was realistic about what URI needs to do to play themselves into the NCAA tourney this year. Pretty good stuff in my opinion.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good excuse for rambone but hope he caught the game!
1 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

KI and Terrell get the game balls today. They both played monster games and gave everything they had keeping us in the game in the 1st half.

Their uniforms were noticeably darker than the others
What game were you watching? Iverson almost cost them the game and seemed out of it.

One stretch we were up big had a turnover. Then shot an air ball right after. Then a missed slide over on defense. In 60 seconds.

Not to focus on that. Great win. Great crowd. They have pulled me back in as well.

Jarvis, Terrill, and martin were monsters today.

A little concerned EC seems to be playing not to get hurt. That not diving for the ball at half court and giving them a free lay up could have cost us the game.

Anyway. Awesome win and a lot of fun to be there.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

15 Year Lurker wrote:

KI and Terrell get the game balls today. They both played monster games and gave everything they had keeping us in the game in the 1st half.

What game were you watching? Iverson almost cost them the game and seemed out of it.

One stretch we were up big had a turnover. Then shot an air ball right after. Then a missed slide over on defense. In 60 seconds.

Not to focus on that. Great win. Great crowd. They have pulled me back in as well.

A little concerned EC seems to be playing not to get hurt. That not diving for the ball at half court and giving them a free lay up could have cost us the game.

EC did that in the second half as well. He won't dive on the floor. He also dribbles right into the trap against the press - once he stepped out of bounds at a critical time in the game. But I'm not here to bang on anyone tonight. Great effort from a lot of guys today.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

15 Year Lurker wrote:

It felt like EC was trying not to get a foul by hopping into the scrum late. If he was going to do that though he needed to be in better position if VCU got the ball, which they did
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Sounds like a fantastic atmosphere and finally we went home happy! I was able to keep up with it by my wife reading me the espn play by play while I drove home from our vacation (kids used up most of the data so I couldn't listen!). Not much else to say except we need to win out and make some noise in the A10 tourney and hope for the best on Selection Sunday.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It was finally very satisfying leaving the Ryan Center with a victory in a big game.

Nice of the players to acknowledge the student fans at game end by going over to the north end baseline.
5 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

How about the 4 mins Berry gave us in first half where we were down 3-5 and it could have climbed if he didn't play solid D. Gave us a little lift.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Just got home from the game and the mews

Great game RHODY !

Well worth the trip !
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

URIFIJI wrote:How about the 4 mins Berry gave us in first half where we were down 3-5 and it could have climbed if he didn't play solid D. Gave us a little lift.
I have been off the Andre Berry train since he got demolished the last time out. But.

He gave good minutes today and Hurley was wise to use him. Its just a reality that a basketball team at this level needs big guys on the floor at all times.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

My wife said it best.... So much fun.. Got hats shirts and saw a terrific win.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

My wife said it best.... So much fun.. Got hats shirts and saw a terrific win.
Last edited by ram1980 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Great to see Dan be a little more aggressive with the substitutions and be open to switching to a zone--to which he said in the post game "was effective for us." What a great game!
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Whew! A day with the family post win was even more enjoyable. A few observations...

- FREE THROWS! Wow, what an effort by Jarvis. I'm stating the obvious here, but if we shoot out standard 65% this game is 1 possession barn burner with a completely different dynamic.

- More obvious...Boy, will we miss Hass next year. Who comes close to being the man in the front court for us? With KI and Hass graduating where will the boards come from? Why haven't I thought about this before? I'm legitimately concerned but that's a problem for another day...

- Someone get a press release out to CBS, NBC, ESPN and whoever else broadcasts Rhody games...Jared Terrell is our most dynamic player. Probably our best player. No disrespect to EC, but it's time to step aside and at least share that spot light. Two very talented guards who both bring different things to the table is a nice problem to have. And maybe the knee heals up and EC comes back stronger next year, but Jared is a force on both ends. He made some brilliant passes today and even when the shot wasn't falling he kept his cool and got to the line.

- Jarvis didn't just come up big at the line today. Broke the press (for the most part) and really gave the offense a boost. Dowtin had a freshman type game but he'll be fine.

- You can tell that Stan is trying to assert himself more after the Mason game. He needs to relax a bit with that and play his game, which right now is great defense and a scoring option when it's needed.

- Berry! I love the dude so I'm biased but I thought he handled himself just fine when he came in. Sometimes the match ups simply don't favor him being in there but today wasn't one of those games. I wish Langevine had his soft hands around the hoop.

- Will CT transfer? I was taking to a buddy during the game about who will get minutes next season and I think Stan will play over him, plus we'll go with Dowtin and Jarvis a lot at the same time. Would he be OK with being the 7th man his junior year before being a likely starter his senior year?

- PLEASE no let down on Hawk Hill. I f'n hate that place.

- The kids deserve this and we as fans deserve this. A nice late-season Saturday in bubbleville for our Rams. That's right I said it. Goodnight all!
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Man, reading the VCU board is painful!! A bunch of snowflake bitches blaming the refs, saying the game was fixed... Wow, I'm soooooo glad we beat them... Hope Dayton kicks their asses. I officially hate VCU more than PeeC and ZooMass now.
Last edited by Mongo 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Mongo wrote:Man, reading the VCU board is painful!! A bunch of snowflake bitches blaming the refs, saying the game was fixed... Wow, I'm soooooo glad we beat them... Hope Dayton kicks their ass's. I officially hate VCU more than PeeC and ZooMass now.
I was with you until that last sentence lol
2 x
GO RAMS
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Mongo wrote:Man, reading the VCU board is painful!! A bunch of snowflake bitches blaming the refs, saying the game was fixed... Wow, I'm soooooo glad we beat them... Hope Dayton kicks their ass's. I officially hate VCU more than PeeC and ZooMass now.
I was with you until that last sentence lol

Maybe I am overreacting... Lol
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very nice win over a decent team finally !!

Very hard game to watch with all the fouls no game flow

Hass is a beast what more to say

JT coming on strong last 2 games we need him to be aggressive like that

Jarvis 12-12 that's awesome !!
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

A very big win on national television against a known quality opponent. Hassan played tremendously, he was around every rebound against a very good opposing frontcourt. JT is playing the way he did last year, he should be their leader on the court going forward. He is not only playing well on the court, but he engages the crowd to make noise and stand up, nobody else on this team does that. Garrett was Jimmy Baron like at the line, huge, absolutely huge.

As TruePoint stated, EC is still dribbling into trap spots on the floor in big situations. One of the few things that I pointed out in my rant last week. Even Dan was pissed at him and mouthed some R-rated language on the sideline. ESPN got a great shot of it. He needs to come off the bench.

As for VCU fans, calling a fix even before the game starts will subconsciously slant your perception of the officiating. And ironic coming from their fans seeing if not for questionable A-10 officiating would be fighting to keep a top 4 seeding right now.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, it was fixed......VCU was in the double bonus 9 minutes into the game...
0 x