Game #28: VCU Saturday Feb 25 2:00PM Ryan Center ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: Game #28: VCU Saturday Feb 25 2:00PM Ryan Center ESPN2

Unread post by neil »

Great posts from a great game. Not much to add. For the past few games the bench has been alive in support of the team with Eric Y up on his feet after every positive play. Also, did the staff at the Ryan center fail to lower the heat or was I just cheering too hard? See you Saturday! One last thought -apologies if this was posted- Will the person who won the "name the movie quote" please identify himself!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah, everyone was talking about how warm it was. I can't recall ever seeing players needing to towel off and the floor being as slick as it was yesterday. Big crowd with way above normal outdoor temperatures will do that I guess.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It's just science. Nothing you can do about it. Maybe PC should play in alumni hall where they don't have to worry about ice under the floor.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Can we dream? We win our last two. VCU better win at least one of their last two games otherwise we wind up ahead of them in the final standings as we now have the tie breaker. They play at Dayton then have George Mason at home.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Even the ESPN guys kept talking about how hot it was in there.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Eli - I'm a dreamer too. Don't stick a fork in the ram yet.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Spoke with Hassan last night. He was all pumped up ,and was saying how he can't believe he only has one game left at the RC. The grin he had on his face the entire night was great to see. People coming up to him all over the place. I think this team knows what can come if they put their heads down and keep playing hard. On to St Joes.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

neil wrote:Eli - I'm a dreamer too. Don't stick a fork in the ram yet.
Sorry, the fork has been stuck for quite a while. You can dream all you want.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
neil wrote:Eli - I'm a dreamer too. Don't stick a fork in the ram yet.
Sorry, the fork has been stuck for quite a while. You can dream all you want.

You are one miserable person.
3 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And wrong
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

neil wrote:Great posts from a great game. Not much to add. For the past few games the bench has been alive in support of the team with Eric Y up on his feet after every positive play. Also, did the staff at the Ryan center fail to lower the heat or was I just cheering too hard? See you Saturday! One last thought -apologies if this was posted- Will the person who won the "name the movie quote" please identify himself!
.....I think it would be safe to say his hatred for PC is unmatched.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

HASwatTeam wrote:Spoke with Hassan last night. He was all pumped up ,and was saying how he can't believe he only has one game left at the RC. The grin he had on his face the entire night was great to see. People coming up to him all over the place. I think this team knows what can come if they put their heads down and keep playing hard. On to St Joes.
One of my favorite moments was seeing Hass screaming with joy while laying on his back after taking a charge.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Throw the fork away, this team is on a roll now. Have to win the final two also though and
continue to play well in Pittsburgh.
1 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

ramster wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:The Ryan center needs more credit for how great of a basketball environment it has. Amazing game, Has was everything we hoped him to be and Garret was clutch, no wonder we were bad at free throws before, because he was out! Also Dowtin looked like a freshman today but that's okay. Onto philly.
Rhodymob,
Jeff was 0-6 FG but I think 3 of those were with the shot clock about to expire. Not his best shooting but look at other parts of his game.
He played 35 minutes as a freshman against A VCU team that traditionally has the toughest defense in the A10
Jeff had a game high 4 assists (VCU team had only 6). Some very nice passes for hoops but also other nice passes that did not result in a basket. But Jeff only had 1 turnover while handling the ball a lot.
He raised his A10 Leading Assist/TO Ratio to 3.79 (53 assists/14 TOs). 2nd place guy is 2.7.

He went up against a Senior PG JeQuan Lewis who will likely be 1st Team All A10 this year.

Lewis is VCU's leading scorer at 15.3 but had only 10 today on 5-12 shooting and 0-6 on 3's.

VCU was only 1-15 on 3 pointers today as URI improved their league leading 3 point FG defense from .295 to .284. Jeff has played a key role in this defense statistic with his height, long arms, quickness and defensive IQ.

I agree with this. So what if he had one point. He's a freshman bringing the ball up vs vcu and I don't think I felt nervous once. He did a great job.
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

luke wrote:Throw the fork away, this team is on a roll now. Have to win the final two also though and
continue to play well in Pittsburgh.
The committee used to say how they liked teams that are playing well at the end of the season. But, of course, who knows how these people will feel? They're going to rationalize whatever they decide.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

You want VCU to finish ahead of URI? why?

If it is to make sure the VCU win is more valuable I think it is a push whether we end up with a 5 game win streak with a win over VCU #2 at-large team or we end up the #2 with a win over #3 VCU at-large.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Of course a lot of it is out of URI's control as well...when you are on the outside trying to get in, a couple of teams pulling upsets in other conferences with automatic bids can really screw you. Gotta hope there's not a ton of that going on, but there are always at least a few...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

If VCU loses to Dayton and beats George Mason, their RPI is still top 25. Unless their season falls off the deep end, VCU stays a quality RPI top 25 win
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Swpg I think you misread something. Eli said something similar but he was saying like "they better watch out" not that he actually wants VCU to finish ahead of URI.

It doesn't matter anyways because VCU isn't losing their last two games.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Mongo wrote:Man, reading the VCU board is painful!! A bunch of snowflake bitches blaming the refs, saying the game was fixed... Wow, I'm soooooo glad we beat them... Hope Dayton kicks their asses. I officially hate VCU more than PeeC and ZooMass now.
I got this vibe from the VCU people in Brooklyn. Then I also get that vibe from A10 talk, which seems to be Virginia and DMV centric.

They think its like The Raleigh Durham triangle north. It is not.

More Baron damage. We should have won a NCAA game during the 05-10 years and had more respect from these different fan bases.

Didn't we beat that VCU team that came to the Ryan center with Eric Maynor and Larry Sanders? I dont remember.

I thought it was funny when a guy wearing VCU garb with VCU people saw that the Ryan center had Narragansett beer. Wonder whether they knew they were so close to Narragansett and the bay.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Or maybe they did realize it, but couldn't believe a place so cool could have a namesake beer so nasty....
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Swpg I think you misread something. Eli said something similar but he was saying like "they better watch out" not that he actually wants VCU to finish ahead of URI.

I think it is possible GMU caps their season off with their actual "Super bowl," dont forget that GMU and VCU were once in the Colonial and regard each other as rivals with each school having a cinderella run around the same years as each other.

Dayton beat VCU? I Think so. Dayton seems to be hitting their stride and getting healthy. I think we are better than VCU and have a better shot at Dayton.

Worst thing is I dont think it is possible VCU ends up lower than #3. So we would have to play them in the semifinal no matter what. But if there is a way for them to end up #4. that is gold. Dayton would have to go through a reeling VCU before playing us. And we would get Richmond? Something like that.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Same here, Billyboy.
All the crap thrown at him on this
board.
Ramster sounds like Dowtin's uncle.
What Jarvis does isn't always quantified by stats.
The kid has a giant heart.
Hey Rod,
I never threw any crap at Jarvis when he was down, and still believe he is our starting PG, but I have noticed that Dowtin takes control in the huddles and seems to be giving instructions to every player. Something the other players seem to listen to, and also something not normally seen in a second string freshman. His shooting generally sucks, and is a disappointment based on HS reputation, but I'm happy with what he's done.
By the way it appears you're feeling better, and that's a good thing. I've had numerous cardiac interventions, and know how difficult it can be.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Swpg I think you misread something. Eli said something similar but he was saying like "they better watch out" not that he actually wants VCU to finish ahead of URI.

I think it is possible GMU caps their season off with their actual "Super bowl," dont forget that GMU and VCU were once in the Colonial and regard each other as rivals with each school having a cinderella run around the same years as each other.

Dayton beat VCU? I Think so. Dayton seems to be hitting their stride and getting healthy. I think we are better than VCU and have a better shot at Dayton.

Worst thing is I dont think it is possible VCU ends up lower than #3. So we would have to play them in the semifinal no matter what. But if there is a way for them to end up #4. that is gold. Dayton would have to go through a reeling VCU before playing us. And we would get Richmond? Something like that.
I think it is pretty likely we finish 4th since Richmond has the tie breaker and play terrible UMass and SLU teams to finish up. Personally, I'd rather play a VCU or Dayton in the semis, since we need to win that game no matter what and you'd rather have another top-30 win if you need the at-large than a win against a Richmond or whomever.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Same here, Billyboy.
All the crap thrown at him on this
board.
Ramster sounds like Dowtin's uncle.
What Jarvis does isn't always quantified by stats.
The kid has a giant heart.
Hey Rod,
I never threw any crap at Jarvis when he was down, and still believe he is our starting PG, but I have noticed that Dowtin takes control in the huddles and seems to be giving instructions to every player. Something the other players seem to listen to, and also something not normally seen in a second string freshman. His shooting generally sucks, and is a disappointment based on HS reputation, but I'm happy with what he's done.
By the way it appears you're feeling better, and that's a good thing. I've had numerous cardiac interventions, and know how difficult it can be.
Dowtin's not a great shooter, but definitely a serviceable PG...biggest factor for me is he doesn't ever seem to get rattled. His shooting is streaky, bu thinking his biggest must work on is FT's.... Also good to see JG running out there, although, you can tell he's lost some weight gotten somewhat smaller...would still go to battle with that guy any day.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dowtin a disappointment? Wow. He only leads the league in assist to turnover ratio, and it's not even close. I don't know what you were expecting of him. I think he's been much better than expected, especially for a freshman. Has he shot the ball great and scored a lot? No. But he doesn't have to. That's not his job. And I'm a Jarvis guy, but I love what Dowtin has done this year. Very bright future, IMO.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think he was specifically talking about his shooting. Seemed his post was overall very complimentary of Jeff. Not sure I agree it's a disappointment but there is room for improvement.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Garrett could still be our ticket to the promised land....

time will tell.....
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Dowtin a disappointment? Wow. He only leads the league in assist to turnover ratio, and it's not even close. I don't know what you were expecting of him. I think he's been much better than expected, especially for a freshman. Has he shot the ball great and scored a lot? No. But he doesn't have to. That's not his job. And I'm a Jarvis guy, but I love what Dowtin has done this year. Very bright future, IMO.
Relax. I was only saying his shooting has been a disappointment to me, based on all that I read about him while he was in High school. If you read my post closely you'll see that I have a very high regard for his overall game and his leadership abilities. Also I'm not his uncle.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Shooting comes. For some reason everyone wants Langevine and Dowtin to be the full package day one.

They both do some really good things and there is no reason they can't be better at the things they aren't great at.

Martin's offense has been absolutely lethal this year and he couldnt score very much his freshman year.

Its not an absolute that freshman have to get better, but its more likely than not players will get better considering they are young and its natural.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True I just hope CL has that work ethic to put the time in the off season to get that offensive game going
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote:
neil wrote:Great posts from a great game. Not much to add. For the past few games the bench has been alive in support of the team with Eric Y up on his feet after every positive play. Also, did the staff at the Ryan center fail to lower the heat or was I just cheering too hard? See you Saturday! One last thought -apologies if this was posted- Will the person who won the "name the movie quote" please identify himself!
.....I think it would be safe to say his hatred for PC is unmatched.....
I find that hard to believe. :mrgreen:
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'll say this, it was a huge win that has been lacking over the past several seasons. But it was ugly. The one thing I didn't like was that they seemed very timid in holding the ball the last couple of minutes. Luckily VCU fouled and we actually hit free throws for a change. Garrett 12-12 from the line!

That little stretch near the start of the 2nd half when Rhody got to a 13 point lead was great. They missed a couple of open threes after that which would have blown it open. VCU's defense was better from there.

Good win. Now, win the last 2 and do some damage in the A10 and we dance!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

steviep123 wrote:I'll say this, it was a huge win that has been lacking over the past several seasons. But it was ugly. The one thing I didn't like was that they seemed very timid in holding the ball the last couple of minutes. Luckily VCU fouled and we actually hit free throws for a change. Garrett 12-12 from the line!

That little stretch near the start of the 2nd half when Rhody got to a 13 point lead was great. They missed a couple of open threes after that which would have blown it open. VCU's defense was better from there.

i thought the refs blew on both ends

let the kids play

we don't spend money on these games to watch the refs or to shoot FTs

POS refs.. all game long

TOO MUCH w/ those calls

i watched on dvr last night and even the announcers were questioning the calls..
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I fully agree, there wasn't much flow to the game with all the calls. 55 fouls in the game!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:
steviep123 wrote:I'll say this, it was a huge win that has been lacking over the past several seasons. But it was ugly. The one thing I didn't like was that they seemed very timid in holding the ball the last couple of minutes. Luckily VCU fouled and we actually hit free throws for a change. Garrett 12-12 from the line!

i thought the refs blew on both ends

let the kids play

we don't spend money on these games to watch the refs or to shoot FTs

POS refs.. all game long
TOO MUCH w/ those calls

i watched on dvr last night and even the announcers were questioning the calls..
My guess is that refs knew both teams play tough and didn't want to let things get out of hand. But they overdid it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:
Haven't seen a comment like this since Chaney was coaching. Imagine Martelli saying something like this...
I really dislike that guy.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Martelli said he has been awake 36 hours trying to figure out how to pass the ball against us.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We need to put a butt whopping on martelli's guys
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

We need to put a butt whipping on Martelli.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Love Garrett, love Dowtin, having two very poised and confident ball handlers ready to go for play-off season isn't a bad thing at all. I notice Dowtin's entry passes are usually very good, confident, no hesitation.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Our bubble hopes are very much alive, I haven't looked too closely at the A10 brackets but if we can beat one of Dayton or VCU to get to the finals and lose to the other in the finals we have an NCAA worthy resume, 23-10, RPI mid 30's, BPI mid 30's, SOS around 40, 3 wins top 25 RPI, 4 loses top 25 RPI, with only the Fordham loss in the "bad" loss column, losing at home to LaSalle doesn't help either, but depending on what other bubble teams are doing that should put us in.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Just got back from FL....and I caught the VCU game on ESPN2......nice win and great play from Hassan and Terrell and great FT shooting from JG.

Nice to see them playing better and having at least some chance of getting an at large bid.....

Hey even I don't agree with PMMM's opinion that we have no chance at an at large!

I did read most of the posts on my phone while I was there......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......welcome back bone.....I think!!..... :roll:
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rambone we're there enough accidents for you? Itbwas out of control for a while there.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:Just got back from FL....and I caught the VCU game on ESPN2......nice win and great play from Hassan and Terrell and great FT shooting from JG.

Nice to see them playing better and having at least some chance of getting an at large bid.....

Hey even I don't agree with PMMM's opinion that we have no chance at an at large!

Good to have you back and posting.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes runnin Ram in that scenario I think we are in

Welcome back Bone 78
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Just got back from FL....and I caught the VCU game on ESPN2......nice win and great play from Hassan and Terrell and great FT shooting from JG.

Good to have you back and posting.
Cheers to that!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x