Game #27: @ La Salle Tuesday Feb 21, 6:00PM CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Re: Game #27: @ La Salle Tuesday Feb 21, 6:00PM CBSSN

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Vcu game is now a blue out game which hasn't been around in a while. Expect the same environment as dayton
You really think people will show?
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Great effort tonight. We will need a much better game from Hassan on Saturday. Langevine was awesome tonight although I must say that when he gets the ball down low it ain't never coming back out. Hass is not even playing close to 100%.
We actually ran a nice alley oop to Terrell. Iverson trying to dribble from 20 feet out and go to the hoop is a disaster waiting to happen.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

skwalk47 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Vcu game is now a blue out game which hasn't been around in a while. Expect the same environment as dayton
Yes, yes I do.....some national interest in this game.....we gots some mo going in.....great start time.....students into it.....party after.....Go Rhody!!
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

section(105) wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:
Yes, yes I do.....some national interest in this game.....we gots some mo going in.....great start time.....students into it.....party after.....Go Rhody!!
This game still has huge implications, VCU is a national brand and will be a fantastic matchup. So yes, it will be packed.
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Seems like a lot of tix left but this should be a sell out

Be a huge letdown if it is not 100% sold out
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This VCU game is huge.

Dont ask my why but I think losing to Fordham made it more likely that we beat VCU.

Usually I am pretty critical, but right now I'm all on board. Many good things going on right now.

Will we flash that zone defense that we did against Mason. That gave us a free 3 possessions.

So many guys playing really good ball. The guys that aren't playing their best are the guys that can turn it on at any second.

Forgive me if I am wrong but this will be Jarvis's first home game back?

Im not as worried about URI as I am about VCU's front court. Tillman, Cox, and Hamadi?(something like that) all have the ability to dominate a game by themselves, let alone together.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:This VCU game is huge.

Dont ask my why but I think losing to Fordham made it more likely that we beat VCU.

Usually I am pretty critical, but right now I'm all on board. Many good things going on right now.

Will we flash that zone defense that we did against Mason. That gave us a free 3 possessions.

So many guys playing really good ball. The guys that aren't playing their best are the guys that can turn it on at any second.

Forgive me if I am wrong but this will be Jarvis's first home game back?

Im not as worried about URI as I am about VCU's front court. Tillman, Cox, and Hamadi?(something like that) all have the ability to dominate a game by themselves, let alone together.
Jarvis played against Fordham, but I think he and everyone else would just like to forget that...
Gotta say...they are playing well right now...really, just one stinker in the last 8.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Very Nice Road Win. Way to go Terrell.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We saw what Terrell is capable of offensively tonight. Hitting shots on all three levels. I love the mid-range pull up jumper, seemingly a lost art n today's game. Also hit a three and was strong going to the hoop. Hard to defend a guy when he's hitting from all 3 levels. We got him off early with an alley-oop (WHAT?!) and a dunk off of a steal. I think that was key, getting him involved early. After the alley-oop and the dunk, he hits 3 shots in a row, including the three, and Dan sits him. I will never understand that. If a guy's on fire, he stays in until he no longer is. I hate the pre-determined rotation based on minutes played. Hopefully this continues, meaning, get him involved early and often, get his confidence going and he's off to the races.
3 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We played well tonight....going to need that type of performance on Saturday. Go Rhody
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Played very well, I thought...just one crappy game in the last 8...just no margin for error now....
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Billyboy78 wrote:After the alley-oop and the dunk, he hits 3 shots in a row, including the three, and Dan sits him. I will never understand that. If a guy's on fire, he stays in until he no longer is. I hate the pre-determined rotation based on minutes played.
That really bugged me too. Hurley should've just kept him in until his shot went cold. JT was cookin'
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:We saw what Terrell is capable of offensively tonight. Hitting shots on all three levels. I love the mid-range pull up jumper, seemingly a lost art n today's game. Also hit a three and was strong going to the hoop. Hard to defend a guy when he's hitting from all 3 levels. We got him off early with an alley-oop (WHAT?!) and a dunk off of a steal. I think that was key, getting him involved early. After the alley-oop and the dunk, he hits 3 shots in a row, including the three, and Dan sits him. I will never understand that. If a guy's on fire, he stays in until he no longer is. I hate the pre-determined rotation based on minutes played. Hopefully this continues, meaning, get him involved early and often, get his confidence going and he's off to the races.
Billyboy,
I think you hit on the key point for Terrell, getting him off early and getting him involved early. Terrell can be a very hot streak shooter and then when he gets hot watch out. Tonight showed that. I went back and looked at all of this baskets tonight:

Dunk - Assist Dowtin - this was the first one you mentioned that got his confidence up early
Layup - Assist Dowtin
Jumper - Assist Robinson
Jumper - Assist Akele
3 PG - Unassisted
3 PG - Assist Dowtin
Layup - Assist Dowtin
Jumper - Assist Iverson
Layup - Assist Iverson
Jumper - Assist EC Mathews
Jumper - Assist Martin

So of 11 baskets tonight, and incredibly
only 1
three pointer was unassisted.
Dowtin had 4 assists to JT including the all important first 2 hoops
Iverson had 2 assists to JT
Robinson, Akele, Mathews, and Martin all had 1 each to JT so 6 different Rams had assists to JT tonight

URI had 18 assists to La Salle's 9 - good team play, good unselfish play
We had 4 blocks to their 1
We had 6 steals to their 2
We held them to 3-15 on 3 point FG's to only increase our league leading defensive percentage

So the defense was strong, led to break-a-way offense, we played unselfishly and won another important road game (and let's not talk FTs)
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Nice to see Jared Terrell doing what most of us feel he could
do more often.
Scored half the team's points and gets pulled after his 11th point
in the first half. Why? Why take the hot guy out?
Shades of CFL.
Play him as long as he's on a run.
EC had 2 points until garbage time.
Something not physically right with Hassan.
Sure he's out on early two fouls, but he doesn't seem the
same player we've seen.
Solid defense, all night, by the Rams.
VCU will be the litmus test for this team.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Finally Terrell gets going with a big game. We need his consistent point production out there

Got to get this VCU game and get on the right side of the bubble
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Personally I liked seeing EC not force the issue, this team is at its best when they move the ball (maybe Jordan Hare had a point after all!). The announcer last night was very on point, we do not have the players to clear out and let someone go one on one, we need to keep moving to get things going and when the players actually do it we are a capable offensive team. Keep it up boys!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

What ever happened to Jordan Hare???

I don't remember his point either....please elaborate if you can??
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:I don't understand that. Run out the clock w/o shooting and there's 6 seconds left???
What I found even more intriguing about this was the fact that JT does not get a turnover for doing this. In the play by play it says "0:07 - Rhode Island Turnover". He doesn't deserve a turnover for doing it, but figured he would get one.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:
This game still has huge implications, VCU is a national brand and will be a fantastic matchup. So yes, it will be packed.
That's being a little overly optimistic. Although this is a Saturday game and part of the mini plans, I highly doubt the students will show like the Dayton game. Quite frankly, you cannot blame them. However, this is a huge game in getting the freshman class and other young fans wanting to come back.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URIGONZO wrote:What ever happened to Jordan Hare???

I don't remember his point either....please elaborate if you can??
If I remember correctly, supposedly in a secret scrimmage Hare snapped at EC for not passing/hogging the ball.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

HASwatTeam wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
That's being a little overly optimistic. Although this is a Saturday game and part of the mini plans, I highly doubt the students will show like the Dayton game. Quite frankly, you cannot blame them. However, this is a huge game in getting the freshman class and other young fans wanting to come back.
I'd be very surprised if students don't turn out for a 2pm game against VCU on ESPN2. They've been solid to very good all year and I don't think Saturday will be any different. Frankly that's almost perfect timing. Morning pregaming, big game, nap, Saturday night partying. I suspect they'll be taking advantage of Saturday.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Nice revenge game, and two decent road wins before going into VCU. As others have mentioned I still question Hurley's rotations at times, taking Terrell out after he looked like he was on fire just doesn't make sense to me.

Also how many times has Hurley set up a play at the end of the half with the use it or lose it timeout and the play doesn't work? At this point it seems like we'd have better odds of scoring on the last possession of the half if Hurley doesn't set up a play...

One more thing to add, Jarvis only played 10 minutes...do we think this is because he's still coming back from his illness or does it look like Dowtin will be the main guy running the point for the rest of the season?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

josephski wrote: One more thing to add, Jarvis only played 10 minutes...do we think this is because he's still coming back from his illness or does it look like Dowtin will be the main guy running the point for the rest of the season?
I think its probably a little bit of both. Dowtin is playing so well that they can ease Jarvis back into it a little. With that said, if we did not have Dowtin or if he was not playing as well as he is, I think Jarvis would probably be playing more.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:Also how many times has Hurley set up a play at the end of the half with the use it or lose it timeout and the play doesn't work? At this point it seems like we'd have better odds of scoring on the last possession of the half if Hurley doesn't set up a play...
On the radio they made it sound like Garrett had an absolutely wide open look from 3 at the buzzer and missed. Is that inaccurate? If it is accurate, what more can you ask the coach to do?
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
josephski wrote:Also how many times has Hurley set up a play at the end of the half with the use it or lose it timeout and the play doesn't work? At this point it seems like we'd have better odds of scoring on the last possession of the half if Hurley doesn't set up a play...
On the radio they made it sound like Garrett had an absolutely wide open look from 3 at the buzzer and missed. Is that inaccurate? If it is accurate, what more can you ask the coach to do?
100% accurate. No one was in the same zip code as JG.
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

He looked wide open to me. A good shot that just didn't go in. It happens.
I guess all 5 players were guarding EC. Lol
2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

josephski wrote:Nice revenge game, and two decent road wins before going into VCU. As others have mentioned I still question Hurley's rotations at times, taking Terrell out after he looked like he was on fire just doesn't make sense to me

One more thing to add, Jarvis only played 10 minutes...do we think this is because he's still coming back from his illness or does it look like Dowtin will be the main guy running the point for the rest of the season?

If you noticed that JT missed two shots in a row off the front rim, a strong signal of leg fatigue, right before he came out. I'm thinking it was a good time to rest his legs. Also there's no way Jarvis is ready to play major minutes yet, hopefully by The A10 Tourney.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Mongo wrote:
josephski wrote:Nice revenge game, and two decent road wins before going into VCU. As others have mentioned I still question Hurley's rotations at times, taking Terrell out after he looked like he was on fire just doesn't make sense to me

If you noticed that JT missed two shots in a row off the front rim, a strong signal of leg fatigue, right before he came out. I'm thinking it was a good time to rest his legs. Also there's no way Jarvis is ready to play major minutes yet, hopefully by The A10 Tourney.
No, Jared came out immediately after making 3 outside shots in a row, 2 mid-range jumpers and a 3.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Yes Garrett had a wide open 3. Maybe that was the play but to me it looked like they were trying to get EC open and it ended up as a broken play that worked out with an open shot. Based on how the play happened I'd be surprised if that's what Hurley drew up.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Yes Garrett had a wide open 3. Maybe that was the play but to me it looked like they were trying to get EC open and it ended up as a broken play that worked out with an open shot. Based on how the play happened I'd be surprised if that's what Hurley drew up.
Was actually one of their better end of half looks, regardless of how it developed. No complaints.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

spookydog wrote:
RhodeIslandRams wrote:I don't understand that. Run out the clock w/o shooting and there's 6 seconds left???
What I found even more intriguing about this was the fact that JT does not get a turnover for doing this. In the play by play it says "0:07 - Rhode Island Turnover". He doesn't deserve a turnover for doing it, but figured he would get one.
Shot clock violations have to be a team turnover...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Broken? maybe. That open shot had everything to do with the fact Dowtin is good, tall enough to see over the defense, and confident enough to make that pass. That pass was impressive. like .3 seconds went off the clock.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Got to drain those open looks JG especially if want more time
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

reef wrote:Got to drain those open looks JG especially if want more time

At least they all shoot better in the Ryan Center. :shock: Dont look now, VCU coming to town.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We need to make a statement vs those VCU Rams
0 x