First trip to Rhode Island

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gopher+RamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

First trip to Rhode Island

Unread post by Gopher+RamFan »

Good evening all,

Recently decided to come up for the game Saturday. First time in Rhode Island and at URI. Probably getting up there around noon. Any must hit places before/after? Good pregame spot within walking distance? Not expecting many other VCU fans - we usually have preset gathering bars when there's a large contingent of us. Bar could be hole in the wall, nice place or VFW.

Looking forward to the matchup. Seems like you never know which URI squad shows up, VCU acts the same. I'll probably cheer loudly, hopefully that's expected. Any tips are appreciated.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: First trip to Rhode Island

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No bars in town, never mind walking distance. Gathering places within 5 miles would be Mews Tavernn Rhody Joe's

There is a microbrewery (no food, just fresh beer) called Proclamation Ale, about a mile and a half away.

I would expect VCU-ers to be loud, based on my experience the last two years in Brooklyn.

Good luck!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the campus and the Ryan Center is set into a lovely, sleepy little hamlet of Kingston......sometimes people say in the middle of nowhere......unfortunately, the campus does not have any sports bar, restaurant type atmosphere at all.....beer served in the arena, not to the seats, in a poorly set up beer garden......arena itself is great venue for hoops.....bring your GPS!....And welcome!!
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

if its a nice day, i would suggest the ocean mist. Bar right on the water with a great brunch
0 x
Clapton is God
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Mews Tavern midday in Wakefield is a great suggestion. However with game at 2PM tip you'll likely be stranded if arriving Saturday at noon

URI is now dry for students there are no watering holes within walking distance......Wakefield the nearest spot for a cold beer. (Wakefield is the largest "village" in South Kingstown)

I live in Kingston area anything else you're looking for PM me if you like I can help. Again a noon arrival limits your ability to have a gathering....in game traffic the less than 5 miles to/from Wakefield can be daunting. Despite the struggles of our Rams I would expect a near sellout crowd for this one.

I live right in the area if you need any other specific info (coffee shops etc) you can drop a PM

Go Rams!
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Mews is a URI staple and probably where I will go. Cant go wrong there.

The Mist brunch is also very fun and wonderful views. The mist is double the travel time though.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gopher+RamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Thanks for the insight guys (or gals)!

Is Uber prevalent in the area, or is it better to taxi? Thinking about parking near Mews or that Rhody Bar and getting to the game somehow. Can someone expand on the Beer Garden in the Ryan Center?

Hoping to get up to the area around 11/11:30. Looks like it's going to be a rainy day unfortunately. Some VCU donors will apparently be making the trip in the team plane so we might have a few more fans than I expected. Thanks again!
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Unfortunately the "beer garden" is not a good place to go if you don't want to miss game action, unless you arrive well before tip-off. It's basically a caged area with long waits for arena-priced beer.

With a noon arrival my recommendation if you can wait to eat and like craft beer would be to pre-game at Proclamation Ale Company open noon-5pm Sundays (https://www.proclamationaleco.com/), then head to Mews for a bite and more beers following the game. The Mews/Wakefield to arena trip is always longer than it seems especially in pre-game traffic. I always feel rushed when pre-gaming there and have missed opening tip more than once.

Proclamation is located on the other side of the tracks from the Kingston Amtrak Station and only 1.9 miles (4 minutes) from the arena, so it should be an easier in/out situation and I would think Uber would be more prevalent around the train station. So you could technically enjoy yourself there for an hour, have a more leisurely trek to the arena, then be there early enough to have a pre-game pop in the infamous beer garden if you wish.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the beer garden, I guess I was being kind in using that phrase.....it is a temporary partioned off area, it is NOT a bar, IDs checked gets you a wrist band to stand in a line to-purchase from a poor selection of beers......no food, can't take the beer out of the pen, poor end zone viewing point, couple of TVs.....the are food concessions near by, but no beer sold there....called the Rhody Pub was an attempt TP have beer available.....better than none......the RC does not open until an hour before tipoff.....hope this helps.....feeling our pain??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Whaler's Brewery in Peace Dale is a great spot, too. Not sure if they'd be open before the 2PM tipoff. My suggestion to you would be Mews, and park in that general vicinity. Probably about a 10-12 minute to the area of URI"s campus. Uber is pretty good in the area, so good luck!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Whaler's Brewery in Peace Dale is a great spot, too. Not sure if they'd be open before the 2PM tipoff. My suggestion to you would be Mews, and park in that general vicinity. Probably about a 10-12 minute to the area of URI"s campus. Uber is pretty good in the area, so good luck!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I have to be the dissenting voice on the Mews. Sure good food, especially the pizza and calzones, and 69 beers on tap sounds great, but if you go how am I going to get a seat? I'd try someplace else.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

300 North in the Holiday Inn is not bad of an option, not usually crowded and super easy ride to the RC (way easier than Wakefield) and TONS of parking around there
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rhodysurf wrote:300 North in the Holiday Inn is not bad of an option, not usually crowded and super easy ride to the RC (way easier than Wakefield) and TONS of parking around there
Probably also likely your Rams will be staying there.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....is 300 North still open?.....just did web search, closed....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:300 North in the Holiday Inn is not bad of an option, not usually crowded and super easy ride to the RC (way easier than Wakefield) and TONS of parking around there
So who's on fire alarm duty???

This post is a joke and I am in way encouraging people to commit a felony by falsely pulling a fire alarm. This post is a joke. Don't try it at local hotels.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....maybe in a year, Fall? We may have the new Dan's Place, the Iggy's/Twist as torn down.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

section(105) wrote:.....is 300 North still open?.....just did web search, closed....
Wow haha that was quick!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Proclamation Ale is the way to go...you'd need to leave Mew's at 1 to guarantee tipoff on a game day...and you might get one beer...
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

hrstrat57 wrote:
No way. I bet VCU stays in Newport on the water. Any respectable visiting program does that.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gopher+RamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

I think we'll try to make it to Mews if we make good time on 95. If not, proclamation it is. Doors to the Ryan Center open at 1?

I'm feeling your guys' pain as far as watering holes. I was hoping there were places closer! Good luck tomorrow and maybe I'll see some of y'all around. Thanks again.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I am going to try to get to Proclamation.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

MEWS won't disappoint so try to make it :)

GO "RAMS"..
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, you can "open up" the Mews at 11 and get out of there by 1 and easily get to your seat no sweat.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......so, wanna give us your yelp type review......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938