Stan Robinson Is A Starter

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Stan Robinson Is A Starter

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't care who comes out, he's one of our best five.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Stan Robinson Is A Starter

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Has been since Cincinnati.

He is one of the better guys at creating his own shot from his go-to jump stop hook thing to his creating a play for others.

Also rebounds and plays D.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He also just gives a shit. If it wasn't for him we'd have lost this game - a game we were winning by 18 points.

Wish he'd made the last two FTs but he did enough.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:I don't care who comes out, he's one of our best five.
Lol. No.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote:I don't care who comes out, he's one of our best five.
Come on TP, you are alleged to be better than that....knee jerk reaction to a great game.....although earlier in the season I did want him starting, with emergence of Jeff, no.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He got 21 minutes tonight off the bench. If he's having a good night, he'll get his 20-25 minutes.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Robinson had his Ibn Bakari moment today.
22 points out of the blue to beat Temple.
Robinson's game today reminded me of Ibn's.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He was also playing in front of family.
Give the family free tickets to Pittsburgh.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't actually care whether he starts or not. But if I was coaching he'd be on the floor at the end of games. Stan plays aggressively and isn't afraid of the moment. There isn't enough of that on this team - I think it is where we are the most lacking.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like him off the bench he does a lot of things well

I can't see JT JD or EC coming off the bench

Stan does need to be on the floor in crunch time that is when it matters
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just give him more minutes like John havlicek or Jamal Crawford. Guys that didn't start but played huge amounts of minutes off the bench and created a nice boost.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea first guy off the bench is a starter role to me.

I feel like it is obvious he is more athletic than EC/Terrell and handles the ball better than them too.

I do think they both shoot it much better than he does, although his set shot has been going in and could really help these next few weeks.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yea first guy off the bench is a starter role to me.

I feel like it is obvious he is more athletic than EC/Terrell and handles the ball better than them too.

I do think they both shoot it much better than he does, although his set shot has been going in and could really help these next few weeks.
I never feel very confident watching Stan shoot but he's third out of our guards in fg percentage. He's shooting 42.6%, EC and Dowtin are both at 43.2% and Terrell's at 41.9%.

I still think Stan should have been the guy starting when Garrett went out. Stan's stats/minutes played are almost all better than Dowtin and I think he brings more energy to the team. Either way Dowtin has played very well and he was a key reason we beat Davidson on the road just like Stan was a key reason we beat GMU on the road.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Would have never guessed it. I would have thought his percentage 3 points below theirs
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:I don't actually care whether he starts or not. But if I was coaching he'd be on the floor at the end of games. Stan plays aggressively and isn't afraid of the moment. There isn't enough of that on this team - I think it is where we are the most lacking.
Well, you cared enough to start a thread about him being a starter. As for what we are most lacking, #s 1, 2, and 3 are competent coaching, competent coaching, and competent coaching. No one wants to accept this but it's the reality of the situation.
2 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

He and christian have the fastest defensive hands
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

h/t to Stan. True Ram. Senior year next day is going to be a doozy. EC, Jared, Jarvis, Stan. Plus Andre I think, too.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Stan Robinson's basketbal resume would have to include "self-starter."

He got fouled on the left elbow in the first half and it was like a light went off that Oregon couldn't guard him.

Wish they and hope they take the reigns off of Stan Robinson going forward. Kid is phenomenal.

His ability to handle the basketball in traffic is akin to the planes that fly into the heart of the hurricanes.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we will be seeing a lot of small lineups vonsidering all the guards on the roster.
Wish we could trade a guard for a big but that's not how it works in college
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Any chance Stan parlays this performance into starter minutes on an NCAA tourney squad? Grad transfer eligible I'd assume.

I've seen nothing to indicate he'd have interest in leaving, but we're loaded with guards so you never know.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He's transferred once already. He's not going anywhere.

He'll get more minutes next year.....maybe even at the 3.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....I think Stan as a starter might depend on how the big player situation develops; another player coming in, further development of the unknown bigs on the roster, what is clear lots of backcourt talent....bottom line for Stan, there will be more minutes than this year.....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, if he plays like he did last night...he'll get plenty of minutes.

Dan had to make a lot of adjustments knowing that Hass wasn't going to be a factor. And those included playing Stan and Cyril more than he would have otherwise. And they came thru big time.

My only gripe is I wish Dan would have had Cyril out there at the end.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

How do we feel about possibly giving minutes to Stan possibly by taking them from E.C and whoever the 2nd string PG is? Assuming Stan shows his offensive development is for real and E.C stagnates? Would Hurley be willing to make this move?

In addition to being the best defender of the SG bunch Stan is the only one of the 3 main SG who can be a legit ball handler and passer. He's not prone to TOs dribbling in traffic like E.C. He creates shots for himself and others more frequently.

I feel like he is a legit all A-10 type player if given the chance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's a nice problem to have......it's up to Stan to be more consistent so he's in line to get more minutes.....

At his best he's plenty good enough, just have to do it more often.

This team still needs to find a "hero ball" type who can make plays to win games in the last minute, whether it's a great pass or shot....

Maybe Fatts or JD will be that guy.....who sees Terrell open for 3 in the corner for example....EC doesn't or can't do that.

If I still have a gripe....that's it. Somebody other than EC needs to have the ball in their hands at the end. He gets doubled...and throws up a wild shot....hasn't worked yet.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Theoretically, if you boxed the minutes for the 2 and 3 together and said we are going to only play these three guys at those two positions - you'd have 80 minutes per game between EC, JT and Stan. That is about 27 minutes per game each and you get to have some 2 of the 3 on the court at all times. That's really not a bad scenario, and obviously you will probably find a few chances to get them all on the court together and you have other guys you'll want to find minutes for (assuming CT is on the team next year), there will be blowouts and foul trouble and likely an injury or two, etc., but as a baseline that's not a bad situation to have.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, I think you nailed what will probably happen a lot next year.....

We really don't have a legit 3 right now....Akele is one, but who thinks he's good enough to play major minutes? He does have his moments, but disappears far too often to be able to rely on him. And he would be lost at the 4....no way no how.

The 1 will be shared by JG and JD....of course where the above scenario changes is JD will play at the 2 a fair amount also. That's less minutes for one or more of the above.

And if Fatts is as good as he seems to be, he'll be worked into the lineup sooner than later.

Really does leave no room at the inn for CT.......
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I think Stan's skills are definitely for real and there is no way that EC can stagnate.

EC was just the leading scorer on an NCAA team 3 points away from the Sweet Sixteen coming off of a blown out knee.

This offseason he will be able to actually work on his game and get better for the first time since the injury.

This whole season for him was just trying to get up to speed. Putting EC's season in context of the injury is an impressive season.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

TruePoint wrote:Theoretically, if you boxed the minutes for the 2 and 3 together and said we are going to only play these three guys at those two positions - you'd have 80 minutes per game between EC, JT and Stan. That is about 27 minutes per game each and you get to have some 2 of the 3 on the court at all times. That's really not a bad scenario, and obviously you will probably find a few chances to get them all on the court together and you have other guys you'll want to find minutes for (assuming CT is on the team next year), there will be blowouts and foul trouble and likely an injury or two, etc., but as a baseline that's not a bad situation to have.
Agree that's not a bad baseline to have. The issue is that would only leave 40 minutes to distribute between Jarvis, Jeff and Fatts (for reference, Jeff and Jarvis both averaged 22 mpg this season). However, this can be augmented by going with a smaller lineup for periods of time during the game (playing that 4 guard lineup everyone loves so much), but would still limit the amount of time for those three guys (JD, JG, FR).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I mean you're going to run into this problem no matter how you try to divide up the minutes. Based on the roster construction, there may be no choice but to go small many nights, which I'm sure will drive some of our fans insane. But with so much talent to try to get onto the floor it may make sense more than it usually would. I think the other solution will be that Fatts might have to bide his time a little bit and wait for the opportunity to present itself like it did for Jeff this season. He knows that no matter what, four of the guys ahead of him next year will not be back so his time will come. And if he can earn minutes by somehow jumping any of the guys ahead of him, that is another good problem to have.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I too think E.C will likely improve as many guys take 2 years to fully recover from ACL surgery.

However I think Hurley has got to be ready to utilize whoever steps up among the guards. Guessing playing with 3 guards is going to be the norm in 17 but we are still super crowded in the backcourt regardless.

I think his bigger issues are more with his shot consistency and mental stuff. These problems existed before the injury but the mental issues seem to have grown likely due to the trauma. Look at how E.C will not dive for a loose ball. Even when it nearly cost us a game we needed to win to have a shot at an at large bid.

An improved shot is his biggest need as this would mitigate the chances of E.C having those occasional 20-40minute stretches where he goes 2-10 and is mostly invisible when not missing shots.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we don't get another quality big that can eat up minutes or ML or MT don't work out, that small lineup will become a reality more often than not.

EGram....EC will be better but he will still likely have issues when it comes to decision making at the end of games......we all know he's a great kid and works hard, but his BB IQ isn't what it needs to be, and that's not something that you can all of a sudden make better.

My guess the ball will be in either JD's or maybe Terrell's hands when it counts...and Fatts at some point.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see a lot of 4 guards and Cyril depending on the matchup

I expect EC to be much better next year after he came on the last 8 games
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Agreed with you guys on EC, I think we finally started to see him come back around late in the season and expect it to only get better next year. He should be able to lose the brace next season as well. Just mentally alone that should be a nice feeling. He may never become that go to end of game guy, I still think Terrell should be that guy more often than not, but I do expect EC to put up a hell of a senior season.

As for Stan, after having a whole season to take in what he can do, I still think he is best suited as the 6th man at this point. He can be unreal at times (like you know in the biggest game of the year against a Top 10-15 Oregon team), but I feel like he is best used as a spark off the bench. There were still games where he was a little inconsistent and I like the idea of bringing him and then just riding him if he is hot each night.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It doesn't matter who starts. The amount of overall playing time matters. I am confused by some of the post. Rhody has played a 3G rotation for years as do most college teams now. Pick your player but either JT or EC play the 3. Akele only played the 4 this year. Unless he improves dramatically and gains strength he would be a huge drop off from KI. I am sure the coaching staff is looking for a Juco or 5th year transfer to start at the 4 with the one remaining scholarship. I agree with mostly a 3 player rotation covering the 2 & 3. Thompson is done. He should transfer. If Fatts is as good as I think he is, he will eat into Jarvis' play time significantly as the season progresses. I think he is going to be too good to hold back. Jarvis can become a role player and be insurance against injury. Dowtin is the starting PG next year. I don't think Dan will go with a 4G line up against any legit team. He is a defensive coach and we will get killed on the boards if we plsy 4G in A10 or top 50 OOC games.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley has successfully gotten the players to buy into a team-first philosophy. Not a lot of complaining about not starting or not playing enough. Players who were me first got weeded out. Hurley has some decisions to make on the starting five next year but he'll get the others to buy into their roles as guys coming off the bench.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

if our starting lineup next year is Dowtin, EC, Terrell, Langevine and TBD (not currently on our roster) we'll be in really good shape. If we don't get a JUCO or Grad Transfer i'd assume the last spot will be either Akele or Tertsea depending on his development. If the rumors are true about his defense already being serviceable at this level I'd say we could see Tertsea. I still think that lineup will be good enough to make the dance as an at-large. As I said in a previous thread: find me a backcourt in the country with more experience combined than EC, Terrell, Stan, Garrett and Dowtin...there aren't many that exist.

I think Stan Robinson will be first off the bench and get significant minutes en route to a runaway 6th man of the year award.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ideally, Tertsea will be back up Langevine at the 5, Akele and Layssard will back up TBD at the 4, with Akele also competing for time at the 3.
Last edited by Iggy1979 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm wondering if Jarvis can get his illness in check in the offseason. Because we all know he's capable of being an all conference type player like he was last year.
I don't know whether or not he can get back into his best shape with that illness. I seem to recall someone saying he would not be the same after it. Maybe they just meant for this season.
If he plays the same way he was this year next year, Fatts will take his minutes. That guy can play. He comes from a big time high school like Dowtin so he should be ready.

EC JT Stan and Dowtin are the top four. Then Jarvis, Fatts and CT.
I'm sure everyone will get playing time early on, because we are going to blow out some teams. We could use all seven to just pressure the hell out of weaker teams.

In regards to CT, he can either transfer to a lower level and start for the last two years, or fight like hell for minutes next year and then probably start in 18/19, be a senior leader on a young team and help us get back to a third straight tournament :)
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It was an unfortunate beginning to the year for CT because he was the best player for a good stretch of the PC game until he took the cheap shot to the head and was out for a few games.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Robinson had his Ibn Bakari moment today.
22 points out of the blue to beat Temple.
Robinson's game today reminded me of Ibn's.
I was at that game. I think he had like 5 or 6 threes. On the Temple side, Pepe Sanchez was just as ridiculous!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Let's also not forget that Dowtin, as good as he ended up being, was not very good early on in the season. So we shouldn't be expecting Fatts to come in and be stealing minutes from anybody right out of the gate. It'll take some time.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

adam914 wrote:Let's also not forget that Dowtin, as good as he ended up being, was not very good early on in the season. So we shouldn't be expecting Fatts to come in and be stealing minutes from anybody right out of the gate. It'll take some time.
Good point, and it shows that Hurley and staff have been great at developing talent. Dowtin and Langevine this year. Terrell and Jarvis 2 years ago, etc. Keep it going!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

EC and especially Hass as freshmen, too.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Man I hated Pepe Sanchez
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Yeah I noticed a trend with freshman where they would get minutes early on go through struggles and improve the last third of the year. It happened with Stan also so maybe it has something to do with being new to the team and system.

So far the guys who have done this have always gone on to be top players for us so that bodes well for Cyril and Dowtin.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can say with supreme confidence that Langevine will be a player. Dowtin already is. It has me a little giddy, to be honest. Just curious what they do at the 4; I'm not as down on Akele as some are, if they don't find the right juco or grad transfer. He's Kuran-ish - doesn't have the length or athleticism but is slightly less erratic. Not quite a wash, because Kuran's length and athleticism were such huge factors for us, but it isn't exactly crippling to slide Akele into that role.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:I can say with supreme confidence that Langevine will be a player. Dowtin already is. It has me a little giddy, to be honest. Just curious what they do at the 4; I'm not as down on Akele as some are, if they don't find the right juco or grad transfer. He's Kuran-ish - doesn't have the length or athleticism but is slightly less erratic. Not quite a wash, because Kuran's length and athleticism were such huge factors for us, but it isn't exactly crippling to slide Akele into that role.
I think the bigger concern is, if Langevine and Akele are the starters, who are their backups? As of now, it's 3 unknowns.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to need Akele to take a big step up. He needs to shoot a higher % on his threes
He just looked overmatched against really good teams
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would think Tertsea and Layssard will have roles. Maybe Berry? Idk, he might be the next in the Mejia-Watson line of guys I think show more than the playing time they're given.
0 x