Who has the scout?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Who has the scout?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

2/18 George Mason Antonio Reynolds-Dean
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Who has the scout?

Unread post by adam914 »

Still noticed Dan going to Cox an awful lot down the stretch. ARD was heavily involved to, but it was clear Cox was still the most involved.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Which is fair, he's the associate head coach, so is ranked higher than the other assistants.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2/21 La Salle I missed the beginning of the interview, but Steve was talking to Antonio Reynolds-Dean again.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2/25 VCU David Cox
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not sure how much credit goes to Cox, but I thought the plan was really solid yesterday. Some of that was on the fly in-game, which Hurley should get credit for since we do not hesitate to criticize when that's not the case. I thought he managed the ludicrous foul trouble situation in the first half well, and went to zone when he had to. Keeping the game close with so many guys sitting at the end of the first half was huge; it only took a minute to regain the lead once the second half started. There were a couple hiccups breaking the press (not sure I've seen an actual 10 second violation in years), but sometimes we were able to hit a couple good passes and break it.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I agree with all of that
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dan said on the post game that Cox had a great defensive game plan.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Not sure how much credit goes to Cox, but I thought the plan was really solid yesterday. Some of that was on the fly in-game, which Hurley should get credit for since we do not hesitate to criticize when that's not the case. I thought he managed the ludicrous foul trouble situation in the first half well, and went to zone when he had to. Keeping the game close with so many guys sitting at the end of the first half was huge; it only took a minute to regain the lead once the second half started. There were a couple hiccups breaking the press (not sure I've seen an actual 10 second violation in years), but sometimes we were able to hit a couple good passes and break it.
Dowtin definitely looked the part of a freshman at times yesterday, especially against the press and just bringing the ball up against Lewis in general here and there. Not a knock on the guy or anything, actually if anything it's a testament to how great he has been up until now. That said, he still held his own against arguably the best point guard in the league.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Not sure how much credit goes to Cox, but I thought the plan was really solid yesterday. Some of that was on the fly in-game, which Hurley should get credit for since we do not hesitate to criticize when that's not the case. I thought he managed the ludicrous foul trouble situation in the first half well, and went to zone when he had to. Keeping the game close with so many guys sitting at the end of the first half was huge; it only took a minute to regain the lead once the second half started. There were a couple hiccups breaking the press (not sure I've seen an actual 10 second violation in years), but sometimes we were able to hit a couple good passes and break it.
Dowtin definitely looked the part of a freshman at times yesterday, especially against the press and just bringing the ball up against Lewis in general here and there. Not a knock on the guy or anything, actually if anything it's a testament to how great he has been up until now. That said, he still held his own against arguably the best point guard in the league.
True, 35 minutes played, 4 very nice assists and only 1 turnover against a VCU program known for its defense. He makes others on the team look and play better.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The over-the-top feed to Hass with the defender fronting him from the wing by Jeff was perfect. He is the only guy on the team I've seen make that pass. He is the best on the team at see the floor, IMO.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ramster has to be a relative of Dowtin's.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ramster has to be a relative of Dowtin's.
Then that definetly Makes you Jarvis' father. :D :D
2 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I thought I was supposed to be Xavier Munford's father?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rodfromcranston wrote:I thought I was supposed to be Xavier Munford's father?

.....let's just say.....you do get around...... :lol:
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Actually I like all the players and try not to have favorites but not always easy.

But having watched this kid play live last year and seeing how well he played at St John's High School and I loved his knack for involving others on the team with his leadership and passing ability it's gratifying to see how he is now helping with this team in A10 play.

In the OOC schedule comments on the board were he couldn't pass, he was not good defensively, slow with his feet, nervous, no way he could play point guard, etc., but I knew inside that people should just wait and see and not judge too early.

Several comments about yesterday's game that Dowtin did not play well and looked like a freshman. I simply ha e a different view of his performance yesterday and commented so. Playing 35 minutes in the biggest game of the A10 schedule with 4 assists and 1 turnover is quite adequate to me for a freshman. In fact I think Hurley having Garrett and Dowtin in the game at the same time made it much more difficult for VCU to mount a comeback because both were so good at handling the ball.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We only had 8 turnovers for the entire game.
This is not HAVOC anymore with VCU.
I think we wrongly judged Dowtin when he had a leg injury, which
made him look slow, play mediocre defense, and look lost.
Obviously he's greatly improved since then.
I do like Garrett and Dowtin playing together.
Gonzaga played three PGs at once a couple of seasons ago.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What can't be overlooked in assessing Dowtin's importance is his defense...he has held 3 of the best 4 PGs in the league in check over last 4 weeks. His length is bothersome, and he's smart with positioning.
All seniors, fwiw

Scoochie - 3-10, 7 pts
Gibbs - 2-13, 12 pts
Lewis - 5-12, 0-6 from 3pt, 12 pts
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The biggest thing with Dowtin that has impressed me is his lack of turnovers. His assist to turnover ratio is unheard of for a freshman.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote:The biggest thing with Dowtin that has impressed me is his lack of turnovers. His assist to turnover ratio is unheard of for a freshman.
Yep, leads the A10 in that category, and whoever is 2nd isn't very close.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: Several comments about yesterday's game that Dowtin did not play well and looked like a freshman. I simply ha e a different view of his performance yesterday and commented so. Playing 35 minutes in the biggest game of the A10 schedule with 4 assists and 1 turnover is quite adequate to me for a freshman. In fact I think Hurley having Garrett and Dowtin in the game at the same time made it much more difficult for VCU to mount a comeback because both were so good at handling the ball.
Yeah, I think my comment about him looking like a freshman probably came off wrong. I just thought a few times early in the game he was struggling bringing the ball up against Lewis at times. Not to the point where he was turning the ball over, which is great, just that Lewis was obviously bothering him a bit. I mean Lewis is a great defender, so it's not surprising. And when they did press at a few points I thought it got to him a little. Again though, he was good enough to not let it force him into turnovers.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The kid is really poised, for sure. Think he needed Jarvis's help yesterday, though. Think we would have lost without Jarvis out there. I also think Dowtin would be a good scoring two. With Fatts coming, I think we'll see a lot of him at the two next year.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....Fatts; more expectations, hype, and pressure than is warranted at this point?.....just asking.....have we been down this road before?......as a freshman in the roster of heavy loaded upper class men guards; how much playing time next year??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Jarvis really had the most impact down the stretch with his FT's. I hope we found something in him being clutch at the line in tight games. Big fan of Dowtin but until his FT % improves he really shouldn't be in the game when we know we will be fouled.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The thing I like about watching JD play defense is he always beats his guy to the spot without fouling and with his height can bother shots

I liked how DH was going offense defense with JG making sure he was out there as we needed is foul shooting
0 x