Who is the starting PG for the A10 tourney?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who is the starting PG for the A10 tourney?

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For polite discussion.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Who is the starting PG for the A10 tourney?

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

IDK but I think it is more important how many minutes Jarvis gets. IF he plays 20+ minutes it means he's playing good/healthy and we need that.

I think Dan would put Jarvis in the starting lineup without even thinking about it if Jarvis is fully back.

I am very excited about Dowtin though.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Agreed, all depends on how Jarvis looks the rest of the regular season. Assuming full health for all, Jarvis is back out there starting in my opinion. I think we then start to see Dowtin eat into EC's minutes a little even as well.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I agree that Jarvis would start, if healthy. Downing taking some of EC's minutes would be good.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I really like the idea of a Garrett-Dowtin backcourt.
When Jarvis is healthy, he's a great defender.
Shut out Jones of Richmond, last year. Nobody does that.
Dowtin off the ball could be great. Not a ball hog. Doesn't dribble,
dribble, dribble, or turn it over like EC.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Jeff has done some very nice things and shows great potential, but if Jarvis is healthy , it should be a no brainer. Jarvis has also done some very nice things for us, when he has his health and he is a junior. Certainly keep Dowtin in the mix, give as many minutes as possible, but it's JGs spot. He's earned it IMO, without a doubt
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Jarvis looks focused and good. He's had a tough year. The knock out blow against Cinci and the illness. Coming off a broke jaw. Kid can't catch a break.

The Dowtin Garrett lineup is something that has really got some run the past two games. Its good.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I really like the idea of a Garrett-Dowtin backcourt.
When Jarvis is healthy, he's a great defender.
Shut out Jones of Richmond, last year. Nobody does that.
Dowtin off the ball could be great. Not a ball hog. Doesn't dribble,
dribble, dribble, or turn it over like EC.
Yep, exactly what I am thinking to. Wouldn't hurt to have two guys on the court at the same time that can actually make a pass.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Jeff makes passes and sees the floor that Jarvis does not.....for me, this is more important than any defense negatives....follow up comment; Jeff thinks pass, Jarvis thinks dribble....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like JD starting with JG off the bench. I just like JD overall game better with his size and ability to make plays

That said JG definetly deserves his minutes. I think there is a logjam at the guard position and the person who gets effected the most will be CT who will get less minutes
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

The play at the end of the 1st half against Fordham summed it up for me. Ball should have been in Jeff's hands who creates opportunity time after time. Play runs for Jarvis to handle it and he dribbles too long has to force it turns it over and Fordham gets a fast break layup....
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's tough to say because we simply don't know how close to 100% JG is, or has been, this season.
But for my money Jeff is giving us more of what this team needs from the PG position - bball IQ, on-floor leadership and opportunistic plays when we need them. Two of the better passes we have seen this year have been from Dowtin, his left handed dish to KI vs Mason when we needed a hoop, and the look-away to Nikola for an easy layup a few games before. He had 7 assists last game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

JD should start the rest of this season....JG probably won't be 100%......anyway it gives Dowtin more PT under pressure which will only help him more down the road.....

And right now he gives us the best chance to win......then next season they can figure it all out.

I would think it would be JG at the point with DR at times...and JD at the 2. At least to start.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

ramfan85 wrote:I agree that Jarvis would start, if healthy. Downing taking some of EC's minutes would be good.
This is equal parts sad and true. EC has become more one dimensional this season. JD helps offset that, so trying a few minutes with him and JG on court at the same time BEFORE the A10 tourney would be en excellent idea. Even if its just a few possessions.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, a HEALTHY Jarvis Garrett is the best passer-defender at PG.
Funny, the PSA that they show during the games features
Garrett's brilliant passing to Martin.
He shut out Jones of Richmond, and contained Kris Dunn.
Hassett said Jarvis made Dunn have to work harder,
than anyone else did.
Passing judgement on a sick kid is ridiculous,
and shows what short memories some here have.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree with that, but the word in CAPS is the biggest IF.
If he's not 100% then it's a no brainer to me, Dowtin doesn't lose his job if we keep winning and JG IS NOT healthy.
If he is healthy that changes this conversation. Not discounting any of those accomplishments, but all those you list were from last season.
We did not see that high level play this year, even before the health issue was announced, so my assumption is that he was not healthy from Day 1.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Jarvis was in the guy's shirt of everyone we played his first two years. In part that is how he got his jaw broke.

Thats a serious talent. Look at the rest of our team get fouls just for breathing, never mind trying to play the close D Jarvis has displayed in the past.

Side note: I wish Hassan Martin would front someone for once in his life in the post.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

From what I've seen the last couple of games, neither Garrett or Martin are healthy. Its unfortunate because Matin has lost a lot of mobility and flight although that has been offset by his improved offensive skills, and going into the season Garrett was our most consistent player and best 3 point shooter and this team could really use that consistency. To me, the reality is neither one of those guys will be healthy the rest of the way leading to the harsh question of do we hope JG/HM can effectively play through injuries or do we go with a more energetic but less skilled lineup which includes Stan/Dowtin and Akele/Langevine. If I was coaching with my heart, I'd go with JG/HM but, given the circumstances, I'd go with the healthy and energetic lineup and use the guys battling injuries sparingly based on how they feel.
Last edited by URI2006_Andy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I kind of agree on Garrett, but you have to ride or die with Hassan this year. If he can drag himself onto the court, you roll with him.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Love the "ride or die" references...reminds me of the greatest, and soon to be extended, movie franchise of all time...that's right...Fast and Furious....

#8 coming to a theater near you in April. Yep...they had to make an 8th (and will be making 9 and 10 also)...why, you ask?? Well, because the first 7 just left so many unanswered questions.

___

Take the names and history off and play whoever is playing better at the moment...like, make in-game decisiosn.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Two things we need more of: Fast and Furious movies and Elvis impersonators...lol
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Jarvis was 1-4 and did not play great D against GM. I like him for 20min less if not playing well more if he is. Dowtin starts.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JG needs to start hitting that 3 ball , he has gotten some decent looks the last 2 games

He can hit that shot and we need it regardless if he starts or comes off pine
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is the answer to this question as clear cut as it was a couple of weeks ago?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If it ain't broken don't fix it - keep going with current lineup, if Jarvis is back closer to 100% just increase his minutes at the expense of whichever guard isn't playing well.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No way I change the starting line up. If that was to be done should have been done already

We have won 5 straight conference games, 3 of those on road vs George Mason, LaSalle and StJoe and two tough home games in VCU and Davidson. Also have gone 9-2 in last 11 games.

Come in with Robinson or Garrett depending on how the game flow is going and who is not playing well. Adjust minutes accordingly but in no way do you change the line up heading into the World Series. Come in with Robinson, Garrett or both. Dowtin has played effectively wit both Robinson and with Garrett in the game. Hurley has not been hesitant at all to put EC or Terrell in the bench at times. He will frequently take a guy out if he makes a defensive error or lapse and we saw that yesterday. Nice to have a quality bench.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Change Point guards? I'm not even washing my clothes as long as they're on this winning streak...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jarvis looks damn good to me now. In fact, he has better energy and quickness than I've seen him have in a long time. I always get to the RC early to watch the team warm up. Yesterday, he's dunking with a big smile on his face. He's feeling good. Jeff played really well for 10 games or so. Some say he might have hit a wall. Yes, it was only 10 games or so, but he played a lot of minutes in those 10 games. His key stat is assist to turnover ratio. It was spectacular in that stretch but has not been good lately. But I do agree with BAR. I believe Jarvis ended up playing more minutes than Jeff did yesterday.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Right now, I like Garrett's energy coming off the bench.
It's a change of tempo when he gets in the game.
The offense is pushing the ball up-court faster.
The fact that Hurley has broken away from his old patterns of substitutions,
is a good thing, and it's shown positive results.
Just keep doing what you're doing since Fordham.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Garrett has the potential to be a huge X-factor right now. Someone who was considered a Top 5 PG in the league coming into the season, but due to illness hasn't played to that potential. If he is healthy and gets anywhere near his potential he adds a whole new dimension.
I will agree his last couple games you see more explosiveness and he has made a handful of great passes in those games.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Keep the same lineup and make sure JG plays at least half the game
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

...... if Jeff struggles early on D, or with his shot, get JG in ASAP.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Most important is who finishes, could be both on the floor if hitting shots. Could be both on bench if not hitting shots. Ec, Terrel and Stan finishing might be our best lineup.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I think Jeff has definitely "hit the wall". To some degree with him on the floor it is like we are playing 4 against 5 on offense. I would like to see him take it to the basket and create some open shots for the other guys. He can make real good passes if there are some openings. It is a close call but I seem to like Jarvis playing off the bench.
Can't wait to hear what Mr Positive has to say about this.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I love JG. Toughest player we've had since Silk Owens.
I also think he should finish this year coming off the bench. Right now, everything is working.
As Red Auerbach used to say, it doesn't matter who starts, it's who finishes (or something like that).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Exactly!
Which is why I said I like Jarvis' energy
coming off the bench.
Guess some trolls can't read.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Interesting that neither was on the floor late in Saturday's game. Dan went with EC, Jared and Stan at the end. I think that had more to do with Robinson making Gibbs take tough shots. And even though Gibbs made some incredibly difficult shots, I thought Robinson did a good job on him.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hurley certainly put the team in a position to win against a coach who people view highly
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:Right now, I like Garrett's energy coming off the bench.
It's a change of tempo when he gets in the game.
The offense is pushing the ball up-court faster.
The fact that Hurley has broken away from his old patterns of substitutions,
is a good thing, and it's shown positive results.
Just keep doing what you're doing since Fordham.
All of that.

Especially the sub patterns...but having a seasoned point guard to come off the bench against other team's second unit is invaluable.

Dowtin having the most talent around him can help his freshman inefficiencies, and jarvis being able to make the most of the bench as a floor general has given us a much needed change of pace down the stretch.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There have also been plenty of minutes where Hurley has had Dowtin and Garrett in the game together. They were key in the final minutes of the all important VCU game. VCU wanted to press, they were in a panic to get back in the game but URI had two Point Guard capable guys in the game at the same time. They played very well together.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Dowtin has done a great job but he has hit the freshman wall. His shot has flattened out even more and is missing badly. And his assist numbers are on the decline. That said, I like both of them getting minutes. Jarvis has a tough time defending big guards, which Dowtin does well. Mix and match.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, Jarvis was the guy who PC people said made
Kris Dunn work harder than anyone who guarded him
last year.
Dunn at 6'4",isn't a small guard by any stretch.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe now that JG is healthy that defensive issue is over with......

Friday's game, if it's the Bonnies.....2 quick but not big guards.....JG will play a lot....his defense will be needed in a BIG way.

I also see Stan playing a lot there too.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The biggest key here going into tournament play is going to be the depth. If we want to make it through the weekend we're going to want deep bench minutes for all players.

Having a seasoned veteran who's been in this position before coming off the bench to spell a freshman who could get in over his head is a great spark to add.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, BM....we should have an advantage over teams like Davidson, GW, and Dayton due to our depth, when it comes to playing games on consecutive days.....maybe that's why Dayton doesn't win the tourney, and why VCU does.......
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It would be really nice if either can become some type of scoring threat.
Poor Jeff can't buy a basket.

Maybe Jarvis, having gotten a little more comfortable now, will want to take some more shots.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

JG has the best 3 pt. shot on the team.......if he's open, fire away.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rambone 78 wrote:JG has the best 3 pt. shot on the team.......if he's open, fire away.
Not based on stats he's not.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy....not this year, no....but last year?

Anyway, right now nobody's making them......
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jarvis Garrett made 52.4% of his 3s in A-10 play last year!
A very respectable 42% for the entire year from 3.
Both numbers, best on the team.
Based on the stats, Garrett was the best on the team.
0 x