ThE EARLY LINE URI VS GMU

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

ThE EARLY LINE URI VS GMU

Unread post by luke »

The opening lines are so far URI -2 1/2 to -3. Do I care about this game ? Yes I do
because I always want them to win and not necessarily because it will help them make
the NCAA tournament. Is there still hope ? Yes there is despite their miserable
performance against Fordham. At this point the Rams are not deserving of an at large
bid and they have proven not to be a good team. However, things change after every game.
So, if they win the possibility of a win against VCU exists. Later, a possibility of a win against
Lasalle, a win against St. Joes and a win against Davidson all exist. Then maybe a win against
Dayton or VCU again may exist. But right now I am just hoping for a win against a surprising
George Mason team and that is all for now. I have to anticipate a better performance on
Saturday.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: ThE EARLY LINE URI VS GMU

Unread post by rambone 78 »

luke, if we repeat the last performance, we will get smoked big time......

I hope to hell these guys have an ounce or two of pride for themselves and their school and at least give a respectable effort......
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

This was going to be a tough game regardless of how URI was playing, add in the fact this team is playing its worst ball of the year and has for the most part quit on the coach and you are looking at a long day tomorrow in Fairfax. George Mason has everything to play for in terms of seeding for the A10T.

The only thing about this game that is compelling to me is to see how our juniors and seniors respond to the adversity, if this team just goes through the motions and again gets kicked in the teeth early and shows no heart............ it will speak volumes of our coach.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're going to get outcoached and outworked most likely.....the blueprint is out on how to defend us......if Fordham could make us look inept on offense, wait until better teams get a crack at us.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Rambone you're right. If we repeat Wednesday's performance it will result in another embarrassing loss.
What some may not be taking into account is the lack of presence George Mason has in the front court.
They rely on a 6 '2" guard to do their rebounding. Our big guards may be able to keep him off the boards
if they want to and Martin could dominate. I sure hope so. George Mason has indeed been surprising
though. I am going to go out on a limb and predict a victory for URI as they begin to turn things around.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only thing that will change things for the better, is if there is a major attitude adjustment, and actually make FT's.

Also a good game prep would help. There will have to be a different approach to the offense........
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The line is now URI - 3 across the board. GMU starters are 6' 7 , 6'4, 6'4, 6'3 and 5'11 and
they really only play seven guys. The starters all play 30 plus minutes. Have got to attack down low.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We need to attack down low with more than Hass. How bout running some plays for Iverson and even EC down low. Anyone think we have any plays for them?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How in gods name are we still favored on the road against any average team? Mind blowing.
0 x
Go Rhody
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Vegas knows there is talent on URI. We know the 16-17 RAMS are head cases top to bottom. Time to get your act together boys.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The mental state of this Rhody team is so soft and fragile that another performance like LaSalle or Fordham is possible. On the flip side, with all NCAA at large hopes gone, the pressure might be off and they play well.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1....yeah until the next big game.......
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well, yes that certainly has been the history of this team to this point. Will it ever change ?
Who knows, anything is possible.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Fun Fact: I am 1-9 betting on URI conference games (don't worry I don't put much money down). Today I put my money on Mason +3 so I like our odds at winning this game and covering!
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

My feeling is we come back and perform well and cover. They are young, should be over Dayton by now. Plus GM may tighten up in a big game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

josephski wrote:Fun Fact: I am 1-9 betting on URI conference games (don't worry I don't put much money down). Today I put my money on Mason +3 so I like our odds at winning this game and covering!
Haha, thanks for taking one for the team!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:Fun Fact: I am 1-9 betting on URI conference games (don't worry I don't put much money down). Today I put my money on Mason +3 so I like our odds at winning this game and covering!
You should have waited because all the Vegas betting houses now have Mason +5
I can't believe it has gone from URI -3 to -5 :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
You should have waited because all the Vegas betting houses now have Mason +5
I can't believe it has gone from URI -3 to -5 :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/
Wow I put my bet in yesterday because I thought the line would move the other way. I still think this is a game we should be favored in but -5 seems like a lot for us on the road. Although George Mason did lose to SLU at home so who knows what will happen.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am not convinced they aren't shaving points. -3 and those were some ugly ass free throws from Stan and EC
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So you're saying two of our players might have committed a crime today?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It was a joke
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm sorry, but now you know what you have to do the rest of the way!
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Amazing how close Vegas always seems to get to the spread
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
I'm sorry, but now you know what you have to do the rest of the way!
Haha, assuming we're favored to win next game I'll make sure to put my money on La Salle.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We should be favored but only by a couple points I think
0 x