NIT Ticket Poll

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Will you purchase tickets for an NIT contest should URI get a home game?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

YES
42%
NO
58%

Total votes: 53

RF1
Ernie Calverley

NIT Ticket Poll

Unread post by RF1 »

Will you purchase tickets for an NIT contest if URI gets a home game?
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: NIT Ticket Poll

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hahahahahaha

No. I'll never go to another NIT game. Not even if we are in the finals in MSG. I won't even watch that weak shit on TV.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes, yes I will....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Yes, I would.

I would be there to support Hass and KI. Two guys that I think deserve our support. Two seniors that I'll be very sad to see go.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

NIT isn't happening either if they don't play a LOT better than last night, starting Saturday.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

No way.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'd go...because I love college hoops
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RoadyJay wrote:Yes, I would.

I would be there to support Hass and KI. Two guys that I think deserve our support. Two seniors that I'll be very sad to see go.
Love both those guys and glad they played for us but at this point I will not give any money to the administration/Hurley until we see some changes. If I had season tickets maybe I'd feel differently but I can't justify paying for a product that sucks.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hopefully it will be a home game but it's not guaranteed. NIT typically pairs up first round games geographically and with rivals do game could end up with a New England rival.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes for sure.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I will be making the trip for VCU and Davidson. I'll get to thank Hassan for his 4 years and KI for his 2+ years then. But the NIT is an unacceptable result for this team and this year. I won't accept it by showing up and pretending I'm fine with it. If they can not show up for a game that actually meant something last night, I can not show up for a game that means nothing.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

considering I'm 5m away and tix are generally less than 20 bucks I will likely go.....the Iona game was entertaining couple years ago.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I will go to see Hass.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote:considering I'm 5m away and tix are generally less than 20 bucks I will likely go.....the Iona game was entertaining couple years ago.
I'm less than half that far away (now)...and it was that Iona game that convinced us to get season tix (in Section, well...you know) and move here...not necessarily in that order....
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I would. What a silly question. Why not ask, if the team was to never play in the NCAA tourney would you watch them again?

/salute Hass
/salute KI
/salute the last guy on the bench, the coaches, trainers, DH, DH's wife, and everyone else that represented/supported URI this past year who deserves and wants to have the season to continue.

/thanks for the entertainment and providing a distraction from time to time
/thanks for every double session,, mile run, weight lifted, bandaged wrapped, and film studied
/thanks for the hundreds, maybe thousands of hours spent doing anything related to the basketball program

I would watch them in a plane, in the rain, or if it was fair... I would watch them anywhere!
2 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

woooops, forget it.... thought you meant watch them, like on TV. :P

They love you guys... go support them I say!! hear!, hear!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I voted yes, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go. If it fits in my schedule, great. If I have prior plans I'm not clearing the calendar for it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Fck no.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even if they make it, would they make their best effort to win?

Some teams who underachieve and fail to make the dance, could care less and mail it in......
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Just can't.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I voted no

On some years I would vote yes based on the team overachiever to get to the NIT

This year being pre season top 25 anything but NCAA is a letdown

I would watch on TV though
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NCAAs or Bust. (where have I seen that before?)
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Yes, because I am a masochist
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Purchasing tickets is accepting mediocrity. 2 years ago an NIT run was great. Now it's a complete and utter failure. I don't care if they win every game by 20 points in route to the title and every win is against a power program.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

scine that ain't gonna happen [and I know you don't think so either].......

It's more likely they mail it in.....why would anybody want to go and see that?
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:scine that ain't gonna happen [and I know you don't think so either].......

It's more likely they mail it in.....why would anybody want to go and see that?
Of course that won't happen. It would most likely be like last time, they beat some school who won their regular season title but lost in the conference tournament and got an automatic bid to the NIT by about 30 and then go up against a power 5 school and lose by 10.

I'm just saying there isn't a thing that they can do in the NIT that will make the season anything but a completely and colossal failure.

I also think that it will be spun that Hurley has taken the team from the depths to 3 straight winning years, a top 25 appearance and 2 NIT berths and has the team heading in the right direction. And some program will come calling and URI will extend him again.
Last edited by scine20 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I just didn't know where to put this or if it was placed somewhere else.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

I felt all year that although the A10 is down, it is very much URI's fault. It was our year to carry the flag. IF URI had a rock hard at-large bid and was the #1 in the A10, URI could lose the A10 tournament and then URI and Dayton get in, then VCU is more on the bubble and like Richmond/Bonnies could win the conf tournament. There would be 4 teams. A Good year for us and the conference.

Instead Dan Hurley and his team so far has buckled under the pressure.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I hope some program will come calling......but that's not happening either.

And he will NOT get extended again until he gets us to the dance....in other words there will be no more extensions.

Maybe Canisius or Buffalo will take him. :o
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do you think If the Rutgers job came available after this season instead of last year that RU would be interested in DH coming off the way our season unfolded and would DH have interest in leaving for RU ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Probably would depend on how we finish the year....if we totally collapse no....if we were to make a run in the NIT then maybe.

I think he would have interest yes.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Do you think If the Rutgers job came available after this season instead of last year that RU would be interested in DH coming off the way our season unfolded and would DH have interest in leaving for RU ??

I think the shine is off Hurley. Up until last year, his value was all about potential (much like the NBA draft). He had just a few years as a college head coach and it was assumed his ceiling was high. From this point on, it now all about results. Any school looking for a new hire will likely not like what they saw this year. It is very bad optics for a preseason top 25 team to have home losses to LaSalle and Fordham, just one notable win, and miss out on the NCAA. Dan has been a college head coach for seven years and will have failed to get to the NCAA. No high profile team will look to hire him unless he can make the tournament, not even a Rutgers or Seton Hall. We are stuck with him for the foreseeable future as I don't see any buyers for his services. If there was such a school, Hurley would sign the contract before the ink was dry as he has to know the heat is rising and his honeymoon in Kingston is over.

Dan's failure to make the tournament will not just affect his marketability for job offers. A more troubling side effect may be its impact on recruiting. Good players want to play in the NCAA Tournament. Recruits will see that Hurley has never made it in seven years and be turned off. His job status will also come into play. If the heat increases as expected and there are no more extensions (as there should not be) his future status at URI will come into play.

It all starts to pile on and makes it even more difficult for success in Kingston. A repeat of the last years of the Baron tenure where everything went south pretty fast may be in the Rhody future.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Dan will need a 2.0 of himself and results from that in a run of success here at Ole State U, before any big program comes calling.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI will probably be the only A-10 rep in the NIT. The next best league team (SBU) is projected to finish the season with an RPI of 95 which is typically not good enough for an NIT bid. Unless someone unexpected wins the tournament in Pittsburgh, the A-10 will have it lowest number (2 - VCU and Dayton) of NCAA teams in several years. Only three teams combined for the NCAA and NIT would be the worst showing in many years.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just curious on after this season if offered the choice between DH and the guy they hired Pikell who they would choose the local guy with all the hype or their current guy , guess that's a question for Rutgers fans
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think they are happy with him reef....they have a pulse for the first time in years......

And after this season even Rutgers would have to question if DH would be a good choice for them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So can we try to keep this thread on topic, rather than turning into the 5th or 6th anti-Hurley thread we currently have?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Happy to see this Poll become obsolete :D
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Why isn't there a Dan Hurley 2.0 thread?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote:Why isn't there a Dan Hurley 2.0 thread?
Because there is only ONE
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I doubted these Rams after some of their tough losses. I always felt they had potential but did not think they would be able to put it all together and reach it. I was thankfully wrong and the question raised by this poll never became a reality.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote:I doubted these Rams after some of their tough losses. I always felt they had potential but did not think they would be able to put it all together and reach it. I was thankfully wrong and the question raised by this poll never became a reality.
They had doubts too. I'm happy we had those losses in retrospect...it made the team who they are today and were this weekend.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Why do we keep revisiting old negative threads?!?!

We just made the goddam tournament, let's enjoy this and move forward!!
2 x
Go Rhody