I am an idiot.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I am an idiot.

Unread post by Blue Man »

This goes without saying.

For those who know me, or especially those who don't and only see what I put on this board.

After picking myself up off the pavement after arguably the 2nd worst loss in URI regular season basketball history (2009's senior day vs UMASS I believe still holds the crown), I sit here to myself and say - how can I spin this so that cutting my wrists vertically doesn't become the viable option to yelling at myself in section 205 while I watch a dumpster fire unfold in front of me.

Mental gymnastics is a preferred hobby and pastime of mine, which is a must for a person who's lifestyle decisions for the most part are guided by a voice saying "ehh fuck it, see what happens."

Obviously I've been absent from the board, it's become a tough read. You come for the basketball but most of it is 4 people just posting the same thing over with slightly different verbiage - we get it; Dan bad, blah blah something else 1978, blah blah Dave Gavitt. Maybe try saying it in spanish to flavor it up a little bit. Sorry for coming back and bringing more sanctimonious preaching to those who don't want it. Deal with it or feel free to join me in 205. Been getting my balls kicked in for nearly 2 decades and a bad week is fly swatting at this point, so I'll be there.

I figured that maybe I'd try to be the beacon of hope on this board and eventually get backed up by some clutch wins and an NCAA birth. But my lighthouse of dreams was crashed by some SHIT basketball in the past few days/17 years.

I saw the argument brought up about Jim Carr's scouting - sorry don't buy it. Last nights poo fest wasn't a scheme, scouting, or gameplan thing. That was just heartless, gutless, watery-latrene-poo basketball. There is never a time when URI's starting 5, or bench, should ever be out worked, out hustled, and beat in every facet of basketball by fucking FORDHAM. That's a roll the ball out there and win game.

Where I question Dan is situations like last night about his feel for the pulse of the game. How in the name of God do you not watch players straight up not try against smaller, less talented players..with a legitimate NCAA bid on the line essentially...and not try to send a message. I don't care how out of shape or behind on scheme Berry or Layssard are...the fact that you wasted an opportunity to send a message to ANYONE - either your players or the dozens of us, who for some reason were still in attendance, that you won't tolerate a lack of fight and effort in a URI jersey is beyond me.

If there's one thing I've admired about Dan it's how emotionally invested he is in the games - wins and losses. They affect him, which I respect. I want my coach to care as much as I do...but you need to be able to move on. It just seems like after big, deflating losses or injuries that feeling of defeat gives the team an excuse to suck because of what happens. I love that everyone is emotionally invested but they need to be able to turn the page. A little of column A and B won't be the worst.

I also don't understand why EC is on the floor in clutch situations. After 3 years it's apparent if you have "it" or you don't. He doesn't. I can think of 2 times in 90 or so games where EC stepped up and made a winning play in crunch time. A big 3 against Cinci, and down the stretch against UMass. I can think of many more times that he's hurt us or cost us the game. He's great at getting to the rim and finishing with his left hand - phenomenal actually, but I struggle to think of another aspect of his game that lends me to believe he's a "next level player." In fact, it makes him more of a detriment when he believes he is capable of doing things he can't. Defense, fast breaks, being on-ball, step-back shooting - all bad. If you do one thing great that no one can stop you at...there's no shame in doing that over and over again.

HOWEVAH (stephen a smith voice) - this team is so mind numbingly and frustratingly inconsistent, that they could just show up in Pittsburgh, roll out the balls, and win 3 or 4 games and dance. Legitimate weaponized inconsistency. Somehow, someway...the team that took a cleveland steamer on my alma mater's logo last night beat Cincinnati and is a total of 4 made shots away from being 20-5 with a polished NCAA resume.

Granted, that's the unfortunate reality of being a URI fan post-Y2K. We just always find ourselves on the wrong side of every single bounce in every single big game that we need to win to dance. Some would call that a correlation, or a curse, but I'm just going to continue being dumb and hoping that maybe that means that we're due for some bounces our way.

So put me still in the camp that this team can find their nutsacks and figure out how to catch fire in Pittsburgh.

But also remember that I'm an idiot.

I'll happily celebrate with you all and say I told you so in a few weeks!

(or more than likely have another miserable birthday drinking brown liquor until I black out before Greg Gumble doesn't call Rhode Island's name, then wake-up hungover and lead the charge to burn this mother down)

Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: I am an idiot.

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:Where I question Dan is situations like last night about his feel for the pulse of the game. How in the name of God do you not watch players straight up not try against smaller, less talented players..with a legitimate NCAA bid on the line essentially...and not try to send a message. I don't care how out of shape or behind on scheme Berry or Layssard are...the fact that you wasted an opportunity to send a message to ANYONE - either your players or the dozens of us, who for some reason were still in attendance, that you won't tolerate a lack of fight and effort in a URI jersey is beyond me.
I would have liked to have seen that myself, but I'd point out that when he took all five guys out a minute into the second half against La Salle people on here criticized him for that.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.... thanks Blueman.....my pre/post games were not the same w/o your take......no, not an idiot my any means, just another "jamoke" that lives and dies with this frustrating program, its coaches, players, results, hopes, dreams, expectations, and one day we will all raise a glass to the URI name being called on a NCAA show.....stay with us.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Well...since the A10T is in Pittsburgh...not sure catching fire in Brooklyn is what you're looking for...then again...?

I hear ya, tho...I'm an ID10T too...see you in Pittsburgh?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....how did we get duplicate topics going? K corrected.
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Don't worry we are on it. Posts merged. Stuff happens sometimes.

I wish we could get some Johny Damon idiot mojo going. I'd gladly be called an idiot if we could bottle up 8 wins in a row.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

One day a URI team will realize its potential and embrace it. Could even happen to this year's team. Might even have to take sinking so low, one rises up to the moment and shines... like one shining moment... la... la... laaaaaaaa *sniff*
Last edited by DanInAZ 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, Blueman, if you're an idiot,
what does that make me?
I began going to games and following this program
in 1963!
I was the only kid in a Catholic school who rooted for URI.
Hell, even my parents were PC fans.
Perhaps not idiots, but it takes a special brand of masochism to be
a devotee of the Kingston Rams!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Right Rod....we're not idiots for caring about this program......sure we piss and moan and bitch, and some times it seems like we hate each other and the team/coach, but it's all in a day's work as devoted fans.

If we didn't care, we wouldn't be on here. Only true diehards could put up with what we've gone thru over the years......
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

From Blue Man:

Where I question Dan is situations like last night about his feel for the pulse of the game. How in the name of God do you not watch players straight up not try against smaller, less talented players..with a legitimate NCAA bid on the line essentially...and not try to send a message. I don't care how out of shape or behind on scheme Berry or Layssard are...the fact that you wasted an opportunity to send a message to ANYONE - either your players or the dozens of us, who for some reason were still in attendance, that you won't tolerate a lack of fight and effort in a URI jersey is beyond me.

I also don't understand why EC is on the floor in clutch situations. After 3 years it's apparent if you have "it" or you don't. He doesn't. I can think of 2 times in 90 or so games where EC stepped up and made a winning play in crunch time. A big 3 against Cinci, and down the stretch against UMass. I can think of many more times that he's hurt us or cost us the game. He's great at getting to the rim and finishing with his left hand - phenomenal actually, but I struggle to think of another aspect of his game that lends me to believe he's a "next level player." In fact, it makes him more of a detriment when he believes he is capable of doing things he can't. Defense, fast breaks, being on-ball, step-back shooting - all bad. If you do one thing great that no one can stop you at...there's no shame in doing that over and over again.

THIS! Welcome back Blue Man
Last edited by RhodeIslandRams 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm beginning to wonder if Dan himself has given up trying to get thru to his players.

He was pretty docile last night....like he has no idea what to do anymore......
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm trying to stop caring as much as I do but am failing miserably. These losses and dissapointing seasons never get easier for me to take. It stays with me for days to the point were my wife is forbidding me to continue following the team. I've been a die hard at every game for the last 15yrs. This season was the most confident I have ever been in our team/program. I felt our time had finally come. All my friends are PC fans and have been sticking it to me as long as I can remember. After being committed with my time/money etc for all of these years it just makes it more difficult to stop but I think I just might have to. I hope for the best but expect the worse now and as a fan that sucks. I'm still can't believe this season has come to this point. Nothing about our situation is going to be a quick fix either. Wtf
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice job Blue Man !! Couldn't agree more
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Where I question Dan is situations like last night about his feel for the pulse of the game. How in the name of God do you not watch players straight up not try against smaller, less talented players..with a legitimate NCAA bid on the line essentially...and not try to send a message. I don't care how out of shape or behind on scheme Berry or Layssard are...the fact that you wasted an opportunity to send a message to ANYONE - either your players or the dozens of us, who for some reason were still in attendance, that you won't tolerate a lack of fight and effort in a URI jersey is beyond me.
I would have liked to have seen that myself, but I'd point out that when he took all five guys out a minute into the second half against La Salle people on here criticized him for that.
I loved the move in the la salle game which is why I was perplexed we didn't see it against Fordham. It kind of seems hollow looking back because La Salle was out of hand. Fordham was winnable to the last 2 minutes. Riding cold hands that were obviously disinterested didn't seem like the best idea.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan himself looked disinterested and defeated....not a good combination.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote:Dan himself looked disinterested and defeated....not a good combination.
I think he just takes the losses really personally. I really do love that. I want my coach to hurt as bad as I do after a loss. I love that he cares.

I love that at pressers he's accountable. After losses he himself is defeated. Give me that every day of the week and twice on Sunday over a monotone and canned response after a loss like it didn't matter at all. I love the emotional investment and I love knowing that the games matter to him more than just a simple job or paycheck.

I just need him to be better and stronger than all of us who are still feeling dead inside after a big loss and pick up himself and the team before next game. We're allowed to wallow in self-pity, we're the fans; that's our job. He absolutely should mourn bad losses and bad injuries at the time, but by the next practice a page needs to be turned.

Dan does self-study. He does make improvements every year when he assesses things. His temperament, his style, everything about him is still evolving...he's still only been a college coach for 6 and a half seasons - so I refuse to write him off.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Dan himself looked disinterested and defeated....not a good combination.
I think he just takes the losses really personally. I really do love that. I want my coach to hurt as bad as I do after a loss. I love that he cares.

I love that at pressers he's accountable. After losses he himself is defeated. Give me that every day of the week and twice on Sunday over a monotone and canned response after a loss like it didn't matter at all. I love the emotional investment and I love knowing that the games matter to him more than just a simple job or paycheck.

Not all the time. He says the perfunctory "this is on me and that staff" and then proceeds to tell everyone that he told Player X to do this and he did that. That said, who cares. I don't care if he is up there stone faced. You get paid a million bucks. Win enough games to dance.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Thought this was pretty funny, googled uri basketball (wanted to compare EC's stats this year to two years ago) and this thread was listed under "top stories".

2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Blueman, Great cheering with you and then basically getting punched in the gut during the Dayton game. If I lived in the area, I'd be at every game, you're not an idiot for being a loyal fan, actually makes you just the opposite.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

KeaneyBlue has maximum Google Mojo!
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Gonebarongone wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Not all the time. He says the perfunctory "this is on me and that staff" and then proceeds to tell everyone that he told Player X to do this and he did that. That said, who cares. I don't care if he is up there stone faced. You get paid a million bucks. Win enough games to dance.
Couple things - if he's Baron 2.0 that "this is on me" commentary isn't perfunctory. Honestly not a lot of coaches do say that or believe that, but the good ones do. Also the "i towld owah guyz" comment was always followed by a "to rebound," or "to make their shots," aka telling a person to breathe if they want to live, never anything specific like disallowing a type of shot.

Also a coaches job is to teach and tell the players to do things. I don't think time outs are where he just sits there and says "remember what I showed you in practice" and then just expects them to know exactly what he's talking about. Players have to be told things, especially in crunch time. If you've ever been an athlete on a team and been in a high pressure game, no matter what you've practiced or done you will forget things and revert back to instincts. You have to be reminded. Even of what would be the most basic things. So yeah...Hurley told them to not allow the 3. That's what any good coach would do. There's an element of player execution that conveniently gets looked over when it's a loss and bash Dan time.

If you want to debate who should be on the floor in crunch time when you need a defensive stop - that's something else entirely, but jumping on Dan for telling people what to do is just grasping at straws when there were plenty of legitimate breakdowns to look at.

And again, this is all public knowledge - he's not being paid a million bucks. His contract hasn't reached the point yet where his guaranteed salary plus bonuses not directly paid by the university could even reach that number at 100%. Even when it does he'll still only be the 5th highest paid coach in the A10.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man....I respect the fact that you think he can still turn it around and become a winner at this level.

I just don't see it....we can agree to disagree I guess...

Although the best thing right now, since we know he's not going anywhere for a while....is something needs to be done with his staff.....they aren't getting it done either and they are the only ones who can be either moved around or replaced.

Dan might have to make some tough decisions about guys he's known and worked with for quite a while.....Thorr could demand it too.....

There are weak links in the chain...whether it's game prep or teaching or X's and O's or recruiting....change is needed.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x