This mess starts with Dan Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

This mess starts with Dan Hurley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have come to the conclusion that this URI team has a very fragile psyche and is mentally soft. It is the reason for home stinkers like LaSalle and Fordham after the Dayton losses and is also directly tied to the losses to the likes of Dayton, Providence, and Valpo this season and other good teams in years past. It all starts with Dan as his mental state projects down on to the team. He was was as disinterested on the sidelines last night as his team was on the court. I think the players took their cue from Hurley. He should have been prepared for that game and imposed his will on the team addressing their lack of effort and atrocious shot selection early on. He however didn't. Dan is wound up very tight and can't seem to get over things (like tough losses and injuries) and move on - this was manifested in the LaSalle and Fordham games this season and much of last season after the EC injury. His tightness affects play in important games versus good opponents. More often than not, Dan and his team choke and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. This trait of Dan has followed him his whole life. Dan had a good 2nd season at Wagner with the best record in the NEC. He however could not beat even once the only other good team, LIU coached by Jim Ferry and went to no postseason. Dan's issues in college have been documented as well. I don't think Dan is capable of changing at this point and feel he is not suited for coaching at this level.
6 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Re: This mess starts with Dan Hurley

Unread post by Surfri72 »

I figured getting booed at halftime would wake them up.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So when he's yelling, he needs to tone it down. When he's not yelling, he's disinterested. There's enough wrong right now that we don't need to come up with silly doubletalk to have something to complain about.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A coach now has to be a part time sports psychologist for his players. Unfortunately, Dan is not suited for that role. Hurley needs a sports psychologist even more than his team.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I unfortunately do not think things will change at URI as long as Dan remains. I also do not see any better job offers coming. Dan has not succeeded at this level to the degree (ncaa) a higher profile school would have interest. We are stuck with him. Best case scenario is senior steps down at St Anthony's and Dan is returning saviour ready to carry on the family legacy. He should have made enough money here to live comfortably and would likely be happier there as he is better suited for that role.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan has said he won't coach past 50.....that puts him at the end of his contract here in 2022.......I doubt he'll be around that long....as there will be no more extensions and he'll be a lame duck coach in a few years.....unfortunately like was said we're stuck with him.

I can see players leaving soon also. I don't even care who he recruits because they will end up just like the players that are here.....poorly disciplined, soft mentally, unfocused.....and on an on......and probably won't improve in their time here either.

Dan is over his head as a head coach at this level....5 years of repeated failures are proof....and zero improvement, actually regression by his upperclassmen....results speak for themselves and anybody who don't see this is completely as clueless as he is.

Personally I would like to see him get together with Thorr and Dooley and negotiate a fair buyout and just walk away, you know save face and everybody's happy.......but that will never happen.....maybe take an assistant's job at a higher level somewhere like Malone did.....

Hell Jerry D. got a job with the Lakers...anything can happen.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Hurley 2.0?.....by that I mean what does one do to fix this mess....first I guess, the HC has got to recognize there IS a problem in that the usual course of basketball operations( on the court) needs a top to bottom evaluation. I suppose Dan would give some of his coach speak on they do that every year......I don't think he has nor wants anyone on his staff that can deliver any contrary opinions on how things are going......I firmly believe he has an ingrained basketball knowledge and philosophy than his way is the only way to go, this is observed in the lack of adaptations and in game adjustments to adversity.......it seems he just relies on and implores the players to just give more effort into the this is the way we do it here approach....I think he recruits players that are athletic, not necessarily talented basketball skill sets or hoops IQ that then is not cohesively meshed into a team basketball approach.....so 2.0, I think he has got to realize his own career at this level and any aspirations to higher level programs requires a total analysis and a RESET of his entire MO......the recruiting, the teaching, the openness to consideration of different basketball approaches, the practice regimes, the in game behavior, post game evaluation, opponent game plan development rather than just expecting a better job of doing what we normally do, player development.....I think most professionals in their careers reach and face a negative point where they need to complete a self analysis and be open to changes where the results to not improve by just doing more of the same.....no?....have it it everyone....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, agree but I don't think he can do it.......are we fast approaching the point of no return with him?

It's URI that has to do an evaluation and figure out what to do about the situation.....if they can do anything.....shake up the staff maybe?

I mean if we're stuck with him there are some things they can change right?

I see things getting worse, much worse....it will never approach what happened with Baron's off court issues thank goodness...but the on court stuff is just as bad or worse than what it was with JB imo......
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

section(105) wrote:......Hurley 2.0?.....by that I mean what does one do to fix this mess....first I guess, the HC has got to recognize there IS a problem in that the usual course of basketball operations( on the court) needs a top to bottom evaluation. I suppose Dan would give some of his coach speak on they do that every year......I don't think he has nor wants anyone on his staff that can deliver any contrary opinions on how things are going......I firmly believe he has an ingrained basketball knowledge and philosophy than his way is the only way to go, this is observed in the lack of adaptations and in game adjustments to adversity.......it seems he just relies on and implores the players to just give more effort into the this is the way we do it here approach....I think he recruits players that are athletic, not necessarily talented basketball skill sets or hoops IQ that then is not cohesively messed into a team basketball approach.....so 2.0, I think he has got to realize his own career at this level and any aspirations to higher level programs requires a total analysis and a RESET of his entire MO......the recruiting, the teaching, the openness to consideration of different basketball approaches, the practice regimes, the in game behavior, post game evaluation, opponent game plan development rather than just expecting a better job of doing what we normally do, player development.....I think most professionals in their careers reach and face a negative point where they need to complete a self analysis and be open to changes where the results to not improve by just doing more of the same.....no?....have it it everyone....
biggest thing i see is he needs to check his ego and stop being a control freak. Admit that you are not a good Xs and Os coach and bring on an assistant to run that part of the team for you. Focus on the other parts instead.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not just X's and O's...how about having your team prepared to play?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:Not just X's and O's...how about having your team prepared to play?
It's Xs and Os. About 95% of it. Every fan base that sees a team on the skids thinks they weren't ready. It's mostly a false narrative. The majority of it is that other coaches coach circles around him in system, game prep, in game adjustments, and close out situations. It's just not a strength. Many were bamboozled by his last name as if there is a genetic marker for these things. I am not sure if the time has passed but he needs to swallow his pride and call someone who knows what they are doing to be on this staff.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, that's about the only hope left........but can DH identify the right guy for the job if he's available?

Good players.....and Dan really wasn't that great at SH........don't always make good coaches.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm sure Dan did all he could to fire his team up and have them mentally prepared to play. But if they are already tuning him out, It's over. Very few of the players looked like they were interested in being there. Iverson looked like he'd rather be anywhere but at the RC.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

why do we hafta suck year in and year out

so tired of this sh*t

these players had an outside chance at the ncaa and now squandered.. cas of who ?

fordham

great job guys and coach.. great job

i have tix to VCU and i dont even feel like going now

POS performace.. POS
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

This is EXACTLY like the Jim Baron reign (of terror) at URI. Play well, create some buzz, hang in there, and then go on the road to an awful Bonnies team, or lose at home to UMass or lose at home to Fordham. It's sad really.
3 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

thought of a depressing analogy for us.

URI Basketball = the Buffalo Bills

The Bills are in a 17 year playoff drought
the fans always say next year the talent will be there
theyve come oh so close to making it ot the playoffs a few times only to lose crucial games late
its become a paranoia in the fanbase
1 x
---
---
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote:...I think he recruits players that are athletic, not necessarily talented basketball skill sets or hoops IQ that then is not cohesively meshed into a team basketball approach...
My brother lives in NC and has a buddy in the athletic dept. at Davidson - he took my niece and nephew to the game this year and had 4th row seats, so up close. My brother knows sports and basketball very well. He was texting me during the game a bit, and one of his first comments was how BIG and ATHLETIC the URI players were. I mean, just large athletic guys. His next comments were something along the lines of "too bad they don't have much basketball IQ"...

He also thinks Hurley is overrated. So this is from someone with no skin in the game or bias like some of us have. Just an observation.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Not just X's and O's...how about having your team prepared to play?
It's Xs and Os. About 95% of it. Every fan base that sees a team on the skids thinks they weren't ready. It's mostly a false narrative. The majority of it is that other coaches coach circles around him in system, game prep, in game adjustments, and close out situations. It's just not a strength. Many were bamboozled by his last name as if there is a genetic marker for these things. I am not sure if the time has passed but he needs to swallow his pride and call someone who knows what they are doing to be on this staff.
Needing help on the Xs and Os may be the only thing that you and I agree about. But, it's stupid to say that a result like last night is 95% Xs and Os and the other coach coaching circles around our coach. Neubauer is probably a better tactician that Hurley. But is he better than Bob McKillop or Sean Miller? Those guys didn't hold URI to 40 points. The game plans used by LaSalle and Fordham aren't on their way to Springfield to be preserved forever. If guys show up to a must win game at the end of February and treat it with the same intensity and focus as a 5am practice the week before Christmas, you're likely to get your doors blown off. And it doesn't matter if you have Brad Stevens drawing up the plays.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I emailed Thorr to vent my displeasure with the program and the coaching as a whole. He responded by telling me to keep the faith and that we have an amazing group of players and coaching staff that he believes will work through these troubles. So that's that.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Last night wasn't about Xs and Os. And high level college athletes shouldn't need a pump up speech straight out of Hollywood to be ready to play a must win game, they should be relatively self motivated. The coaching staff needed to be better, but the players needed to be much better.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I agree Rowdy, I don't know how the coaches can be blamed when the player's are missing wide open 3's (Kuran in the first half comes to mind) or our player's turning the ball over on consecutive possessions (Langevine). Or how about all of the offensive rebounds Fordham got? Rebounding is about effort, not sure how much we can blame the coaches for that.
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

BleedBlue87 wrote:I emailed Thorr to vent my displeasure with the program and the coaching as a whole. He responded by telling me to keep the faith and that we have an amazing group of players and coaching staff that he believes will work through these troubles. So that's that.
to be fair, what else can he say in that situation. no AD worth their salt is gonna say bad things about a current coach in an email to a fan. that stuff should stay in house
5 x
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Last night wasn't about Xs and Os. And high level college athletes shouldn't need a pump up speech straight out of Hollywood to be ready to play a must win game, they should be relatively self motivated. The coaching staff needed to be better, but the players needed to be much better.
And they probably got one and still didn't respond. That's why I think they have tuned him out.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URIGONZO wrote:I agree Rowdy, I don't know how the coaches can be blamed when the player's are missing wide open 3's (Kuran in the first half comes to mind) or our player's turning the ball over on consecutive possessions (Langevine). Or how about all of the offensive rebounds Fordham got? Rebounding is about effort, not sure how much we can blame the coaches for that.
Does anybody box out on this team? Find your man and put a body on him. Iverson is guilty of this all the time. You would think he would have learned that about 10 years ago. Watch him on tape. He follows the flight of the ball and never looks to find his man when a shot goes up. And yes, I know he's our leading rebounder, but not because of fundamentals.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What is saddening about this situation, and related to the Buffalo Bills comparison, is the fan base and how its vibrant and larger than most people think. How many school have missed the tournament this many years in a row and continue to have a very lively forum, filled arena seats and talk throughout the state about the rams. I live in Friar town and I see Rhody fans all over the place. We deserve a ticket and we deserve the results that we all hoped for.
0 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:thought of a depressing analogy for us.

URI Basketball = the Buffalo Bills

The Bills are in a 17 year playoff drought
the fans always say next year the talent will be there
theyve come oh so close to making it ot the playoffs a few times only to lose crucial games late
its become a paranoia in the fanbase
As a Buffalo Bills fan and URI basketball fan I can tell you things are pretty similar. Although I think Bills fans tend to be slightly less optimistic than those here.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

section(105) wrote:......Hurley 2.0?.....by that I mean what does one do to fix this mess....first I guess, the HC has got to recognize there IS a problem in that the usual course of basketball operations( on the court) needs a top to bottom evaluation. I suppose Dan would give some of his coach speak on they do that every year......I don't think he has nor wants anyone on his staff that can deliver any contrary opinions on how things are going......I firmly believe he has an ingrained basketball knowledge and philosophy than his way is the only way to go, this is observed in the lack of adaptations and in game adjustments to adversity.......it seems he just relies on and implores the players to just give more effort into the this is the way we do it here approach....I think he recruits players that are athletic, not necessarily talented basketball skill sets or hoops IQ that then is not cohesively messed into a team basketball approach.....so 2.0, I think he has got to realize his own career at this level and any aspirations to higher level programs requires a total analysis and a RESET of his entire MO......the recruiting, the teaching, the openness to consideration of different basketball approaches, the practice regimes, the in game behavior, post game evaluation, opponent game plan development rather than just expecting a better job of doing what we normally do, player development.....I think most professionals in their careers reach and face a negative point where they need to complete a self analysis and be open to changes where the results to not improve by just doing more of the same.....no?....have it it everyone....

105 agree with pretty much all of this. great points throughout.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Last year I remember myself worrying about him leaving in the near future. Ha. Ha.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Last year I remember trying to get Ace to admit that the poor performances were Dan's fault.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The team takes on the personality of its head coach

The coach is tight and the players play that way too not loose and free
0 x