FIRE ECR

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: FIRE DAN

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

reef wrote:Larry E is an idiot never liked him after the stunt he pulled at Iowa State

I am surprised Gottfried is staying on to finish the season usually that doesn't happen with fired coaches

I read an article saying no top coaches want that job as he makes 4 dances including 2 sweet 16 yet they can him after a bad season
Tough to take the other side of this argument. Two sweet 16s are great but he's never really had a great season. Just a few nice runs. They definitely underachieved given the four and five star guys. Worth making a big offer to Archie Miller, an alumnus and former player.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I forgot Archie played there . I hope he goes back there so Dayton loses their great coach
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Gottfried won 24 games twice and 22 twice.
They were never one and done when they went to the NCAAs.
Two Sweet 16s are nothing to sneeze at.
I used to watch NC State to see what Abu was doing.
Gottfried's teams seemed wild at times and overly
guard oriented, which is why some of his front court players
transferred.
I guess when you're next door to UNC and Duke, in the ACC,
expectations are very high.
They have a wonderful new arena, too.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Qtaug
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Qtaug »

We still get a "participation" trophy don't we?
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

It's a pretty safe assumption that it's not going to happen here under Dan's watch, as this coaching staff and team is presently constituted. His window of opportunity has opened and closed. The recruiting classes will continue to downgrade. Give a high level recruit a reason to come here. Has he proven that he can coach any one up. His best player a great power forward, deserved a serviceable center. He never delivered. His offense rarely has any fluidity to get guards open for clean shots. The team is horrible coming out of time outs and have become a below average defensive and rebounding team. Unlike many on this board that were gushing when Dan was hired, I was not awe inspired for two simple reasons. First, he was only two years out of high school. Nothing else needs to be said about that. Second, look at the rosters of teams in the NE Conference. Getting good players from New Jersey, that are not even 3 star recruits, will immediately put you in the top tier of the conference. For the record, my first choice was Bruce Pearl; and I think he could have been had..That being said, it's time to regroup.
1. DAN IS GOING NOWHERE. No one wants him and we are not buying him out. To fire him would set the program back 2-3 years, and rebuilding begins again.
2. Our AD however, is holding some cards. At the end of the season he must demand an overhaul of the coaching staff. Jim Carr(touching story) but can't coach a lick. He needs to be relieved of his duties or find him a position internally in the Athletic Department. Replace him with a seasoned semi retired or fully retired coach (no, not Tom Penders ) that can be the George Blaney to the Jim Calhoun.
3. Total evaluation of all other assistants especially in the areas of recruiting and identifying talent. Neither Baron nor Skinner were considered great recruiters, but both could Identify talent. And more importantly, bring in players that will compliment each other.
My point is Dan and the team should play hard and coach hard until the very end. This year is lost but some good may come out of it.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

NC State's expectations are on a whole other level than URI's.......at least they can make changes without waiting for years.

We're stuck with another mediocre head coach for who knows how long. At least our APR is great, huh?

CD, good post. We'll see if Thorr can or will force Dan to make changes to his staff....that's about all he can do.

Of course if Hurley does so, would he bring in the right people for the job? We don't exactly pay big bucks for the assistants.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

CD great post.........I'm also of the opinion that the recruiting is a big issue.

Thorr hired Hurley with a huge pending APR problem based on his history working with high school young men.
Missing however was any real D1 experience coaching at the level needed here.....It is one thing to be coaching in high school with an unending source of very athletic star quality kids, vs. going up against other D1 coaches competing with you for every good recruit.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea we're not in a good spot here, need a huge change and it'd really the only way something and anything can happen. I'm tired of mediocracy. I keep picturing uri in an episode of EPSN 30 for 30 "The Rams of Rhode Island" and ow we finally broke out of this funk and made the tourney and now days like this are only a thing of the past. We need the green grass.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need some changes to the staff concerning recruiting especially with the multiple openings for the '18-'19 season.....

I know relationships are being made already in regard to that year...but it's certainly not too late to do something.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Last year, I posted that if Dan didn't make the NCAA tournament this year, we should really consider replacing him if it made financial sense. I took a lot of heat for that post and now here we are. This was aligned perfectly to be URI's year. You had OCC teams with high RPIs thanks to the Mohegan Sun tournament and your A-10 slate, you play some top teams twice and get VCU at home. And you got every major contributor back and healthy.

Part of the problem is the most talented players on this team don't mesh well together. Garrett and Terrell flourished together last year when EC was injured, but seem to defer when he's on the court and stand around. Their games don't seem to align right. And you have Terrell at the 3 which isn't his game. EC, to me, excels when there are no other backcourt scoring threats, Eric Leslie like. A volume shooter. To me the starting lineup should be going forward: Garrett, Terrell, Iverson, Cryil and Hassan. You ask Cryil to rebound and that's all. Hassan can play the 4 and Iverson the 3 which should cause mismatches in our favor. When EC comes in off the bench, bring Dowtin and Robinson in and sub out JG, JT and KI. Dowtin seems to not look to score first as much as Garrett does, so I think he's a better fit. These lineups are ideal, but I know fatigue, foul trouble and other factors may need to alter these a bit.

Another problem, we are predictable. On offense and defense. Defense, we play man and are overly aggressive. Teams see this on tape and expose us every single game. Play zone and different types. With KI and Hassan's wingspans, this should be an effective strategy. And those who say we suck at zone, it's either Dan can't coach it or the players aren't smart enough to learn and execute it. EC is getting smoked on D this year, either people driving past him or he's late on rotations. It may be due to his knee. Someone compared his ACL injury to an MLB pitcher, but it's different, cutting on a dime and moving latterly is very tough and those who had a knee injury think twice about some of those movements, see Derrick Rose. And EC on offense has become more a jump shooter, and a bad one, for probably the same reason, fear of getting hurt again. And can anyone really blame him. The offense has shown flashes of good play when players cut and they're passing, but it's short-lived and the standing around happens, not to mention the lazy passes and horrible dribbling and dribbling to trap parts of the court.

Basketball IQ. We have too many "Jenny, I wrecked your roommate's bathrobe" moments. We are up 6 with a 1:00 left get an offensive rebound and then someone shoots an immediate 3. This has happened more than once. Passing the ball to players who have a low FT percentage in obvious fouling situations, fouling under 1:00 left with a lead. Leaving players wide open for 3 at the end of games,when you're up 2. And those are examples only in the last minute of regulation. The lack of situational basketball is horrifying. Do these guys practice all possible situations? I swear, l think if Bill Belichick were to come in here for one week and coach this team, they would beat anyone in the A-10 home or away and he probably knows very little about basketball. It's knowing your team, your opponents' teams and all their tendencies. I think this coaching staff sucks at scouting and putting in game specific plans.

There is so much more I can write, but I'm checking out like this team did Tuesday night.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
4 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sweep, you certainly don't see well coached teams do the mindless stuff this team does. And they do it all the time.

Like you said, either this team has zero BB IQ or the coach is in way over his head.

It think it's both. A very large helping of both.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Sweep, you certainly don't see well coached teams do the mindless stuff this team does. And they do it all the time.

Like you said, either this team has zero BB IQ or the coach is in way over his head.

It think it's both. A very large helping of both.
Right, and it's the same mistakes. EC attempting his 5 foot dribble through a double team, leaving that wing 3 open at the end of games, the horrible hand checks at the top of the key.....

Those are coachable mistakes, so either they aren't being addressed by the coaching staff or the players aren't coachable. Neither thing is good.

Send a message and start the walk-ons against VCU for the first minute or two. They'll probably play smarter and try harder. You have nothing to lose anymore.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....the off/preseason for next year, for me, is going to be a very interesting wait and see......roster changes any players coming/going?......some type of wrap up end of the season state of the program by the head coach?.....any comments regarding the "bigs" development in practice, because we saw so little from anyone other than CL?.....any statements of optimism going into next year?......any comments from the head coach on answers to the questions of the performance gap of early expectations and reality?.......ya know things like this to get some indicators from the coach that has identified some corrective actions other than business as usual....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not sure if this was singled out, but around the 12 min mark of the post game show Dan states: : "We are not good at buzzer beaters and FTs"...No Sh*t...what have you done about it? This is why you loose more than your share of close games. You have a had a few seasons to figure it out, but you haven't.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This thread is an embarrassment. Let's evaluate the program once we learn this season's fate.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ATPTourFan wrote:This thread is an embarrassment. Let's evaluate the program once we learn this season's fate.

let's keep this in context

the thread was started right after the fordham game

which, coincidentally. was an embarrassment as well

emBARONSing
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The title of the thread is definitely an embarrassment and a final judgment should be based on all information, and not just about this year (which has indeed been a huge disappointment and very frustrating).

However, there are some really good thoughtful posts in here. I don't know if I agree with every word of Cameron Dollar's or SweepTheLeg's (and others) posts, but they are at least thoughtful and I think in many ways are pretty good summations of where a lot of people are at right now with their feelings on the program.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:The title of the thread is definitely an embarrassment and a final judgment should be based on all information, and not just about this year (which has indeed been a huge disappointment and very frustrating).

However, there are some really good thoughtful posts in here. I don't know if I agree with every word of Cameron Dollar's or SweepTheLeg's (and others) posts, but they are at least thoughtful and I think in many ways are pretty good summations of where a lot of people are at right now with their feelings on the program.
What's embarrassing is posting this on a message board, right? It's totally fine to feel that way but why on Earth are you reading a message board? It's been 5 years and the Fordham game was the kill shot on any chance at an at-large bid and you wonder why this thread exists? Give me a break.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:This thread is an embarrassment. Let's evaluate the program once we learn this season's fate.
I'm not sure it's any different from the Baron 2.0.

I did not like the title of the Baron 2.0 for what it signified but the title remained unchanged. Unfortunately the Baron 2.0 is closer to being appropriate now than it did then. Not that I agree with the Baron 2.0 now vs then, but for those that did there is more wind in their sales.

So the difference between this thread and Baron 2.0 is negligible. So doesn't make sense to me that this title upsets people any more than the Baron 2.0 did.

In fact, when I saw this I immediately thought it should be in (or merged in) with Baron 2.0.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Really just about every thread could be merged at this point. It's 100 different ways of saying the same thing.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

100..............and counting
1 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:The title of the thread is definitely an embarrassment and a final judgment should be based on all information, and not just about this year (which has indeed been a huge disappointment and very frustrating).

The Bill Belichick comment was hyperbole, but I would love to see it. I think a lot of the angst is that this was "the year". There was a lot of hope when we went 23-10 and got an NIT win. Then last year EC went down and nothing, now he was back with JT and JG gaining valuable experience being the guys and gaining scoring and leadership confidence. Add the returning KI with a year of rust removed and Hassan's healthy along with the incoming players via transfer and commits. This was supposed to be the hype of last year and then some.

Now, the future is muddy. Your entire inside presence is gone next year and if you think defenses are creating problems for us now, just wait until they can over commit to playing defense on our guards since we have absolutely no offensive threat down low.

I think this may have been the peak of our talent pool and Andre the Giant is about to do a cannibal in said pool shortly.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:

What's embarrassing is posting this on a message board, right? It's totally fine to feel that way but why on Earth are you reading a message board? It's been 5 years and the Fordham game was the kill shot on any chance at an at-large bid and you wonder why this thread exists? Give me a break.
I do not wonder why the thread exists. In fact, I think I feel as frustrated and disappointed as anyone here, if not more. That doesn't mean that all ideas that spring forth from that frustration and disappointment are good.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Really just about every thread could be merged at this point. It's 100 different ways of saying the same thing.
Keeps certain members very busy.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

I do not wonder why the thread exists. In fact, I think I feel as frustrated and disappointed as anyone here, if not more. That doesn't mean that all ideas that spring forth from that frustration and disappointment are good.
I don't wonder why it exists, I just think it belongs in Baron 2.0
What tends to happen is we get two conversations of the same subject with the same things said twice, at minimum. It's going on now in both threads.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ATP we all need something to keep our minds of our real problems.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

UCH21377 wrote:ATP we all need something to keep our minds off our real problems.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Another option would be change the name of Baron 2.0 to Fire Dan......because they are the same messages from posters in both.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Damn I keep hitting the quote thing instead of edit. Think I need to get my eyes checked. Now that's a problem!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, I give up.Who's BB?
Bridget Bardot?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:OK, I give up.Who's BB?
Bridget Bardot?
Bobby Brown, no no... Bill Belichick.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Ty Webb on Hurley's coaching:

Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry Sweep, it's the drugs.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry Sweep, it's the drugs.
That's ok. Hope you are feeling and doing better.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
FroggyTheFan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by FroggyTheFan »

Don't worry Rod, I was also confused.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I though this thread basically replaced the 2.0 one...We are past comparing the two.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

FroggyTheFan wrote:
Don't worry Rod, I was also confused.
Sorry, me and Bill are tight, so I use his initials. We are going to christin 6 rings later on today. Ha ha.. I updated my posts to his full name.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

if the players and coach showed as much emotion as i showed in my knee jerk title vs fordham, then they would not have lost to that harrable team
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Let me put it another way then. Why do you think it's embarrassing? It's five years. Anyone five years ago who was told DH would not dance for four years and be out 9f the at large conversation would be massively disappointed. Firing him should now be part of the conversation.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It's embarrassing because, as ECR admitted, it was a knee jerk emotional dump which effectively created a duplicate thread. It's embarrassing because the season, while looking bleak, is not over, and there's ZERO chance Dan being fired prior to the end of the season.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:It's embarrassing because, as ECR admitted, it was a knee jerk emotional dump which effectively created a duplicate thread. It's embarrassing because the season, while looking bleak, is not over, and there's ZERO chance Dan being fired prior to the end of the season.
A few things. One, there is always a tipping point. For some, this was it. Always one spot where you go "you know what?....he's gotta go". So, maybe it was knee jerk for some but for others it was the final data point on the mountain. Second, just because he won't get fired (he won't) doesn't mean it's not worth discussion. How many years did you think or say Baron should be canned when you knew it wasn't happening? There is zero chance he gets fired even after the season ends. Will that be not worth discussing?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So couldn't this thread be merged with "Mess Starts with Dan Hurley" thread? It's one that sharply focuses on the head coach.

We also have a thread looking at potential weaknesses in the assistant staff.

We also have Baron 2.0 thread.

And we have this thread. Even if there are some good points bring sprinkled across these 4 threads, it would be better to have discussion consolidated wherever possible.

The result, as has been already pointed out, is those members who are most active on the board are repeating themselves across the threads and it makes it very difficult to work through each disjointed, repetitive discussion.

I should have taken action earlier to merge this one with the "Starts with Dan" thread.

We are so far from any firing even being considered -- THAT's why this makes our fanbase look dumb.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Sweep The Leg wrote:Ty Webb on Hurley's coaching:

:lol:
I didn't even watch the clip....
Omg this is so funny I just pissed my pants.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....sure merge them......does it really matter though?....a topic about the Westminster Dog Show will probably end up in the same place.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ATPTourFan wrote:It's embarrassing because, as ECR admitted, it was a knee jerk emotional dump which effectively created a duplicate thread. It's embarrassing because the season, while looking bleak, is not over, and there's ZERO chance Dan being fired prior to the end of the season.
if we were comfortably in the tournament field and playing for seeding...if this was the 1st game like this we had this year...if this team and coach had lived up to the praise it was given...THEN you would have a point

Since the opposite is true, you have no point to make here. This isnt a knee jerk reaction, its a culmination of watching this team and coach go out there and look like the f***ing Keystone Cops.

At this rate, the season highlights package ought to use the Benny Hill theme
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:.....sure merge them......does it really matter though?....a topic about the Westminster Dog Show will probably end up in the same place.....
nah,
it doesn't matter,
Wonder if DH has a dog in the Show? :lol:
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:So couldn't this thread be merged with "Mess Starts with Dan Hurley" thread? It's one that sharply focuses on the head coach.

We also have a thread looking at potential weaknesses in the assistant staff.

We also have Baron 2.0 thread.

And we have this thread. Even if there are some good points bring sprinkled across these 4 threads, it would be better to have discussion consolidated wherever possible.

The result, as has been already pointed out, is those members who are most active on the board are repeating themselves across the threads and it makes it very difficult to work through each disjointed, repetitive discussion.

I should have taken action earlier to merge this one with the "Starts with Dan" thread.

We are so far from any firing even being considered -- THAT's why this makes our fanbase look dumb.
Nope. That's just what makes guys like you come off as smug. You can be blind. You can be arrogant. Just don't be both. The thought of even acknowledging that you might have been wrong this whole time pains you so much that you need to call the thought dumb. Five years is pretty much considered a fair number in college basketball coaching. You essentially get to see your first two or three classes age and gain experience and recruit 2-3 behind it for depth and maybe a final, impact piece. Going 0-5 in the at large pool pretty much means you have failed as a coach. There are levels of failure but let's call it what it is. Add to that the recruiting since Bobby and Preston left and, yes, we shouldn't be so far from it being considered. That's how a guy like Baron makes it to year eleven at URI without an NCAA bid. There was probably someone in 2006 saying the same thing you are right now.
6 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

completely knee jerk reaction sent and posted out of frustration

fine with me if you want to delete or merge

i was and (believe it or not) still am a fan of dan

i am not suggesting that the loss disappointed me more than the true fans that go to all the games

but it disappointed me because i believe in Dan

so, when someone you respect disappoints you.. to me, it hurts me more

since i created this thread, you can go ahead and do what you want with it
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You can go back and edit the title too if you want
0 x
Victorino
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Victorino »

I think that Fordham coach might be worth a look for Rhody, beating Dayton and URI this season is quite a feat from the league's perennial bottom feeders.
0 x