Game #26: @ George Mason, Saturday Feb 18, 4:00PM NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game #26: @ George Mason, Saturday Feb 18, 4:00PM NBCSN

Unread post by ramster »

George Mason Starting Line Up:

Jalen Jenkins F 6'7" 246 Senior
Justin Kier G 6'4" 182 Freshman
Otis Livingston G 5'11" 168 Sophomore
Jaire Grayer G 6'4" 192 Sophomore
Marquise Moore G 6'2" 208 Senior

George Mason 18-8 (8-5)
Rhode Island 16-8 (8-4)
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #26: @ George Mason, Saturday Feb 18, 4:00PM NBCSN

Unread post by section(105) »

.....could they be the surprise team of the A-10?.....other than us of course.....ouch
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I think Kuran will be the real X-factor in this game. I'm assuming they plant Jenkins on Martin, so Iverson should be able to exploit either of the 6'4 guys they have. In theory...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like we may be underdogs in this game now
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Does anyone really give a shit about this game?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No. Another loss is coming Saturday.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Wake me if the nearly impossible happens, and they make the A10 finals...that's the only way I will care about another game this season. Not only has he lost the team...he has lost the fans.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! A midget team!
Hurley must love the A-10 and the total
lack of size.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Smokinjimit wrote:Does anyone really give a shit about this game?
I give a shit about every game, regardless of how disappointed and pissed off I might be.
5 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

You see Dan was right, the game is going really small. Look at George Mason? We should definitely be happy we attempt to model ourselves after schools like George Mason and Richmond. If, or maybe I should say after, GMU beats us it will prove you win with 4 guard.....at least you can beat us.

We are only little old Rhody an play in the A 10, everyone should be happy. After all, we are not Duquense or Fordam, right? Oh, scratch Fordham from that list. At least we are not Duquesne, are we?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GMU Board already has 5 pages on their URI Game Thread.
2 of our posters are quoted in their thread
They see this as a huge game battling for the 4th seed and the A10 bye - especially since it is only 1 game (no home and home) and could impact the tie breaker
Thread was started before the Fordham game so includes comments after the game too

http://masonhoops.com/board/threads/gam ... 384/page-5
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramster, I'm having trouble getting excited about this one. Wow, playing for a bye in the A10!!!! A top four finish!!!! Think about this, compared to where we were in November. Have gone from pissed to sick to my stomach back to pissed to sick again. Now the players seem to have checked out. Let those guys have something to be excited about; good for them. Who's their coach anyway?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:GMU Board already has 5 pages on their URI Game Thread.
2 of our posters are quoted in their thread
They see this as a huge game battling for the 4th seed and the A10 bye - especially since it is only 1 game (no home and home) and could impact the tie breaker
Thread was started before the Fordham game so includes comments after the game too

http://masonhoops.com/board/threads/gam ... 384/page-5
Wow after reading their board I'm even less confident than before about this game. Looks like it could be a tough environment to play in...should at least be a somewhat positive sign if we can pull off the win after the Fordham disaster.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

These are two programs going in opposite directions. In the press season poll, URI was picked to finish second in the conference (370 votes) only 4 votes behind Dayton. Mason was picked to finish in 12th position (83 Votes). After the bad home loss to Fordham, we are now tied with Mason and the Bonnies for fourth place. Another URI loss would propel GMU ahead of the Rams and set the stage for totally missing out on the A-10 bye.

The Dayton loss damaged URI's psyche and we experienced more damage with the Fordham loss when we were out hustled and out rebounded by a smaller team. Most important the Rams have not shown an ability to recover from adversity whether they be lost leads late in game or just overall dreadful play. We saw that in La Salle game, in the first half of the UMass game that followed, and Fordham all played at Ryan. Considering what has transpired over 25 games, why do we expect it to change on Saturday given the game will be played in a hostile environment and against a team that is feeling their strength and playing beyond their expectations.

Sorry for the negativity, but I see URI losing this game as part of a season ending losing streak. Mason by 10.
2 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

UCH21377 wrote:Ramster, I'm having trouble getting excited about this one. Wow, playing for a bye in the A10!!!! A top four finish!!!! Think about this, compared to where we were in November. Have gone from pissed to sick to my stomach back to pissed to sick again. Now the players seem to have checked out. Let those guys have something to be excited about; good for them. Who's their coach anyway?
Dave Paulsen. He's done a good job of putting out the dumpster fire Paul Hewitt left there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:Ramster, I'm having trouble getting excited about this one. Wow, playing for a bye in the A10!!!! A top four finish!!!! Think about this, compared to where we were in November. Have gone from pissed to sick to my stomach back to pissed to sick again. Now the players seem to have checked out. Let those guys have something to be excited about; good for them. Who's their coach anyway?
It's all relative, right?
George Mason was picked Preseason by A10 Coaches Poll to finish 12th out of 14 teams. Considered to have no chance for post season play.
GMU had 83 total points while URI had 370 total points in the poll.
Now GMU is 8-5 and playing URI (also 8-5 and voted #2 in Poll and received 12 1st place votes to Dayton's 16 1st place votes). Game is expected to be sold out on Saturday.
GMU had no players on the 3 Preseason All Conference Teams (URI had 2 on the 2nd team)
GMU leads the A10 in 3 PFG% = 39.8%. They also lead the A10 in rebounding. They have a 4 game winning streak

Senior Marquise Moore is having a 1st team A10 type season:
- 6th scoring with 17.5 ppg
- 2nd in rebounding with 10.0 rpg
-14th in FG% with 49.4%
-10th in Assists with 4.0 apg

Head Coach is Dave Paulsen
He is in his 2nd year at GMU finishing 11-21 (5-13) last year in the A10
Prior to GMU he was at Bucknell for 7 seasons making the NCAA twice and the NIT twice

Recruiting for next year for GMU includes:
Goanar Mar from Minnesota. 6'7" 200 lb SF is a 3*
Javon Greene from Georgia 6'1" 155 lb PG is a 2* but watch this kid.
In fact, if you want to kill 1.5 hours, watch this game from Holiday Hoopsgiving Thanksgiving Weekend. Greene Scores his 58 points against Langston Hughes - a team with 2018 URI recruiting target Landers Nolley.
Nolley makes a 3 with 9 seconds left and just misses a game tying 3 at the buzzer. Greene led a comeback from 20 down in the 3rd Q to win 92-89.
Late in game video you can see Bruce Pearl and Josh Pastner watching the game

http://www.daikhlo.com/watch/yt_nsk9dPyl38w
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/holiday-hoo ... ng-record/

GREENE SAVED ROOM FOR DESSERT
George Mason bound guard Javon Greene saved a little room for the good stuff on the day after Thanksgiving
Greene put on an absolute offensive clinic, scoring all over the floor. He finished with 57 points and drilled seven three-pointers in the process. Sure, his scoring output was outstanding. Down right awesome. But the way he did it and the manner in which he put his team on his back was something to behold. Greene, our No. 18 player in the class of 2017,
Henry County was down to Langston Hughes for a good part of the day and battled back thanks to Greene’s toughness down the stretch. He wanted the ball in his hands. There was no denying that. And he wouldn’t be denied the shot to put the dagger into the heart of Langston Hughes.
Greene was brilliant in the effort and one of the best games we’ll certainly see this high school season.
“I’ve never had a game like. I’ve never scored 50,” Greene said with a grin going from ear to ear. “When they jumped out the lead like that, I knew I had to take the ball and step up. I wanted the ball to get to me so I could get to my teammates going. I think our attitude changed in the second half.”
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A guy with something like Paulsen's resume would be perfect for our next coach.....a proven winner.......

He's way more accomplished than what Dan did by comparison, and more experienced.

And he came from a somewhat lower D1 program.....the kind of guy that we could afford too.

In his second year he has GMU on an upward trajectory with good recruits on the way.....

We, on the other hand.....hired a bust.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Win the game. Show some heart. Show some mental toughness for once. Then dont let off the pedal. Keep playing hard into Pittsburgh.

That Jamal Wilson game was fun to watch against George Mason.

I really hate the Fordham, Lasalle, Houston, and Valpo losses the most. Iverson and Martin just got dominated against Valpo. Then Houston also had the 1-2 punch going against us.

Despite where we are the other teams have to play each other too. Richmond is on the ropes here. We get GMU tmrw. VCU plays Dayton again. Richmond gets Davidson.

URI can finish 3rd. That is completely possible. They have to try though. 13-5 in conference? 3rd place? Best we can ask for today.

VCU losses at URI, at Dayton, then finishes against George Mason. If we win ours and they lose against both us and Day, that GMU game for them will be interesting.

2 seed in the A10 tournament is in play then.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

One game at a time Seawright, one game at a time. Hasn't this team taught you that yet ?
I know, just like you i think aheadand then I realize you can't think ahead with this team.
let's just win on saturday for now.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote:The Dayton loss damaged URI's psyche and we experienced more damage with the Fordham loss when we were out hustled and out rebounded by a smaller team. Most important the Rams have not shown an ability to recover from adversity whether they be lost leads late in game or just overall dreadful play. We saw that in La Salle game, in the first half of the UMass game that followed, and Fordham all played at Ryan. Considering what has transpired over 25 games, why do we expect it to change on Saturday given the game will be played in a hostile environment and against a team that is feeling their strength and playing beyond their expectations.
I'm surprised you brought up the UMass game because it ruins your point that the team can't recover. They had lost two in a row, were without Garrett (first game he missed), and were down big. They could have folded right there.

That said, we better not spot George Mason a big lead tomorrow like we did UMass the last time we were in this situation. If we do, on the road, against a better team, we will lose three in a row
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This game is super important for seeding and i wish i was more excited
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I had a dream last night that Mike Layssard played in this game and it wasn't just garbage time. He had a really nice block with his left hand. That's the play I remember. We'll see if I'm psychic.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Like the RAMS to bounce back in this tough road game. Took the money line.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I had a dream last night that Mike Layssard played in this game and it wasn't just garbage time. He had a really nice block with his left hand. That's the play I remember. We'll see if I'm psychic.
:D :D :D

Lets hope your dream comes through. Were you counting sheep to help get To Sleep?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....no more; not ready to play, "hangover" from the Dayton loss, no more guard pound the ball while others stand and watch, out rebounded, out tuffed, its on me, missed free throws in critical situations, no more playing tight......I am sure there are more.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster....he was counting Rams........
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

oops. wrong post
Last edited by Billyboy78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I had a dream last night that Mike Layssard played in this game and it wasn't just garbage time. He had a really nice block with his left hand. That's the play I remember. We'll see if I'm psychic.
:D :D :D

Lets hope your dream comes through. Were you counting sheep to help get To Sleep?
All I know is that if this happens, I am immediately going out to get Powerball tickets.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This must be George masons best season since they last danced. Seems like a tough out.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Did you wake up screaming? Lol
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I said that schedule stuff because I was watching the VCU v. Richmond game and it was late. Plus the announcers were talking about it and our situation wasnt as bad as ppl say on here.

Started looking at the standings and schedules.

At-large hopes dashed? surely. Bubble team hopes dashed? not at all. This team to make the tournament was going to have to string together wins sometime. Now is as good as any.

VCU seemingly is nearly a lock At-large team and they lost at Fordham, won 2 controversial games, didn't beat anyone as good as Cincinnati, and have to finish their last three games against URI and Dayton. So if URI won the rest all the way to the A10 title game. They would be a true bubble team. The #'s aren't always the #1 indication of who gets in.

All this being said, I don't have much confidence URI rises to the occasion today. GMU is playing for something. When URI had more to play for they didn't show up against a lessor opponent at home. Never mind hostile territory and a motivated opponent.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bonnie's beating Dayton 34-28 at halftime at Dayton. Bonnie's with a record of 8-5 in A10 play so would be a huge win for them in the drive for the 4 tournament bye spots.
Dayton was -7.5
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Don't bury Dayton based on a 6 point half-time deficit.
Remember what they can do in crunch time.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That dayton/Bonnie's game doesn't look like it's going to be over at 4 o'clock.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Don't bury Dayton based on a 6 point half-time deficit.
Remember what they can do in crunch time.
Dayton has ice in their veins. We've witnessed it.

We looked nonchalant down the stretch, they looked nonchalant down the stretch, we choked, they won, they went home, we went in the tank.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Billyboy78 wrote:That dayton/Bonnie's game doesn't look like it's going to be over at 4 o'clock.
As always.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Use http://www.nbcsports.com/live to watch the game before it's on tv.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I like that they are looking for early offense so far.
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

29-16 good guys---lets goooooo
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Did you see that offense by us right there?
Woah
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Did you see that offense by us right there?
Woah
gonna pass 43 points before halftime today
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

the announcers just said this is the most important game of the year or something like that...

Feels like an exhibition. We either win the tournament or its NIT

This game has no bearing on the postseason whatsoever
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Woah
Didn't recognize it.
Looked like a made basket
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

rhodyrudder wrote:This game has no bearing on the postseason whatsoever
The double bye, I personally dont want Dan Hurley playing against Umass on a Thursday in the A10 tournament.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodyrudder wrote:
Woah
Didn't recognize it.
Looked like a made basket
There was a few passes that lead to it as well...
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

stan robinson playing like an indiana recruit today
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Now they decide they want to play?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Never seen inconsistentcy like this team, it's amazing.
0 x
GO RAMS
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Never seen inconsistentcy like this team, it's amazing.
couldnt agree more
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

A berry sighting?
0 x