Game #26: @ George Mason, Saturday Feb 18, 4:00PM NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NEYankee
Jim Eitner

Re: Game #26: @ George Mason, Saturday Feb 18, 4:00PM NBCSN

Unread post by NEYankee »

To TruePoint. I was speaking of being done watching what almost turned to be a debacle
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hass cannot be close to 100% as he commits too many fouls and tonight only had 1 rebound. Is it possible that we can get the entire team healthy? Is it possible for EC and Hass to have a good game together?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

eli#10 wrote:Hass cannot be close to 100% as he commits too many fouls and tonight only had 1 rebound. Is it possible that we can get the entire team healthy? Is it possible for EC and Hass to have a good game together?
It'll be nice to get that bye and get Hass a little rest. It looks like it's one of those nagging injuries to me.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well, they got the win and that is about all I have to say except move on to the next game
at Lasalle. And again who knows how that game will go ? URI played some decent zone against
George Mason. I think that could be very useful against Lasalle.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to get a road win after we pooped away an 18 point lead

Stan was indeed the Man today

JD still love watching his game

EC good and bad we needed his 18 points

Hass not good at all, didn't look like he was injured to me just didn't play well
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI now has a better road A-10 record than at home. They are 5-2 on the road (Wins-SLU, Duq, Davidson, UMass, GMU / Losses-Dayton, Rich) and only 4-3 at home (Wins-SJU, GW, UMass, SBU / Losses-LaSalle, Dayton, Fordham).

Does the pressure of being expected to win at home weigh on the fragile psyche of this collection of players and coaches? Something to ponder.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's probably tougher to play in front of this toxic fanbase right now than it is to go on the road. It's one thing to get heckled on the road, it's quite another to hear it at home.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Don't blame the fan base, RR2......they expected a lot more than what they're getting.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:It's probably tougher to play in front of this toxic fanbase right now than it is to go on the road. It's one thing to get heckled on the road, it's quite another to hear it at home.

If they had played up to anywhere near expectations, that would not be the case. The players and coaching staff have created this environment.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeterRamTime wrote: It really is perplexing how he can miss sooooo many layups. Makes no sense.
He shoots like 10% from 2 feet.
He'll be alright though.
As long as he stays aggressive.
Anyone remember Hass as a freshman? He could barely walk and chew gum on offense. Cyril will be fine. As Al McGuire used to say, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

On langevine, it's amazing to me to see how people seem to be so down on him. I think he's shown more signs that he will be a very good A10 big than I expected. I don't know if people just forget how different players look when they leave school than they did four years earlier when they arrived, or if we are just so gloomy about this year that it's hard to keep perspective. He has obvious work to do to become a good starting big man in this league, but it's doable work.

RR02 - was the Dayton crowd toxic? It didn't feel that way to me. But you can only go thru that type of game so many times before it starts effecting your attitude. That seems true for players, coaches and fans.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So now, it's the fan's fault the team stinks?
Sounds like something from the CFL school of
lame excuses.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:On langevine, it's amazing to me to see how people seem to be so down on him. I think he's shown more signs that he will be a very good A10 big than I expected. I don't know if people just forget how different players look when they leave school than they did four years earlier when they arrived, or if we are just so gloomy about this year that it's hard to keep perspective. He has obvious work to do to become a good starting big man in this league, but it's doable work.

RR02 - was the Dayton crowd toxic? It didn't feel that way to me. But you can only go thru that type of game so many times before it starts effecting your attitude. That seems true for players, coaches and fans.
None of the kids will be the same of the 3 freshman bigs. Langevine already has been trying to post up during games with difficult footwork moves.

His nerves and ability to lay the ball in will all settle in. You almost expect it any day as oppose to years from now. It could happen in 6 months or 6 days. Its just a matter of his confidence.

If he was making all those lay ups or if they were dunks, he would basically be Thomas Robinson at Kansas his senior year. That is a high bar for a freshman.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RF1 wrote:URI now has a better road A-10 record than at home. They are 5-2 on the road (Wins-SLU, Duq, Davidson, UMass, GMU / Losses-Dayton, Rich) and only 4-3 at home (Wins-SJU, GW, UMass, SBU / Losses-LaSalle, Dayton, Fordham).

Does the pressure of being expected to win at home weigh on the fragile psyche of this collection of players and coaches? Something to ponder.

The loss to Lasalle and the loss to Fordham were let downs. Those have nothing to do with the crowd. The URI team thought they could breeze through teams that they have had success against and they got hurt for it. Just a sign of immaturity.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We need to hope these teams keep wearing their dark colors at home. We're pretty good in our away whites
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

TruePoint wrote:On langevine, it's amazing to me to see how people seem to be so down on him. I think he's shown more signs that he will be a very good A10 big than I expected. I don't know if people just forget how different players look when they leave school than they did four years earlier when they arrived, or if we are just so gloomy about this year that it's hard to keep perspective. He has obvious work to do to become a good starting big man in this league, but it's doable work.

TP agree on both points think Lagevine will be fine.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When Langevine goes up for a layup, the ball comes off the palm of his hand rather than his fingertips. Certainly correctible, but he's still doing it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And I'm not down on him. Like I said, I like his defense and rebounding and love his hard work
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, I agree with you guys, I think the positives from him are the things that are harder to teach. The offense can be corrected and is usually the last thing to come around. Sure, he's not going to be a 20 point per night guy schooling dudes with his low post moves, but I think he'll be a solid A10 big.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......is CL's ceiling in the Earl Watson area? ....just asking
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think much higher. But he is a much different type of player.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Kind of surprised by the lack of discussion of Stan's play; he had such a great game. Hopefully that wasn't just a fluke, and he could play similarly down the stretch
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Stan is like most of the team.....has flashes of very good play...then disappears......

You know the comment about teams that are hard to guard?

You need 3 consistent scorers game in and game out. The same 3. Sometimes we have only 1 that's "on"......and it could be any player.

We need players who we can count on to be at least somewhat consistent...there's that word again.

Early in the season we had Hass and Terrell...that's only 2, but they had a string of good games....now we don't know what we're going to get at any point in time, from just about any of them.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I'm not fully sold on Langevine. I think he'll continue to improve and contribute for us but there's no way him and whoever else starts next year will come close to replacing Hassan and Iverson unless we get a very good transfer. As others have mentioned his offense really needs some work and unless he had terrible coaches prior to URI he might just be a poor offensive player. Hassan's lowest fg percentage here has been 54% as a freshman...Langevine is shooting 37%. I really think some people are understating how much Langevine needs to improve offensively.

Also every year people on this board talk about how much guys will improve in the offseason and how much better they'll be next season, it almost never happens that way. Players, at least on Hurley's teams, have seemed to improve slowly over time, not overnight. I'm probably just as optimistic about Layssard and Tertsea next year as I am about Langevine.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Next year is going to a lot different for us pertaining to big men. First we had Gil, then Earl and a developing Hass. Then throw in Iverson (if you consider him a big). Next year, at this point anyway, looks scary. We don't have any big to rely on on, let alone two. Hopefully, CL will develop. But, after that?
We're all assuming that the last scholarship will go to a big.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You don't really need bigs on offense in modern basketball. They just need to rebound and guard the rim. If he can average 11 pt/g eventually that's cool. If he does more, great. If he has games where he get 20 rebounds, I don't care if he gets 4 points. Especially next year where you'll have 6 or 7 guards that are going to be A10 starting caliber players; among them you can get 45-50 shots per game. Hass and Kuran have taken 25% of our shots this year. If next year our bigs account for 15-20% of our shots, that's OK.

I guess the point is that I hope his offensive game comes around a lot. I expect it will at least improve a little. And that's fine if he rebounds and defends.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

If langevine can get over stone fingers he has promise
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Thats the trick
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do love CL potential very solid body with good rebounding defense and shot blocking

He just really needs to improve on offense making his easy shots improve with his hands and develope some low post moves

If he puts in the time a very high ceiling
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:RR02 - was the Dayton crowd toxic? It didn't feel that way to me. But you can only go thru that type of game so many times before it starts effecting your attitude. That seems true for players, coaches and fans.
I think the Fordham game the crowd was toxic, even before they really had reason to. There was one guy in particular in my section who was trying to heckle EC the whole game. Like at that point, why are you even going? I've also always had a problem with the way the crowd groans after every missed free throw. I can't imagine that sets up the players to perform at their best.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:So now, it's the fan's fault the team stinks?
Sounds like something from the CFL school of
lame excuses.
I don't think it's the fans fault, but I think it's worth pointing out that our fanbase sucks on a couple different levels and could certainly be better.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have a game tomorrow night at LaSalle....you call tell that there's anticipation for that....not

No thread on the game yet.....ramster where you at?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:We have a game tomorrow night at LaSalle....you call tell that there's anticipation for that....not

No thread on the game yet.....ramster where you at?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Done Rambone, Thanks for the reminder........
I got VCU thread up too for Saturday. Interesting schedule for VCU as they play URI on the road Saturday then Dayton on the road the following Wednesday.

These last 4 games for URI are big:
Tuesday Feb 21 @ La Salle 6pm
Saturday Feb 25 VCU 2pm
Wednesday Mar 1 @ St Joseph 7pm
Saturday Mar 4 Davidson Senior Night 6pm
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Joe wrote:Kind of surprised by the lack of discussion of Stan's play; he had such a great game. Hopefully that wasn't just a fluke, and he could play similarly down the stretch
I love Stans tenacity and quick hands on d, but I am not confident when he shoots the three at all. Had a great game that we needed badly but I will still cringe when he tosses up a three.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

They better watch the first half of that game. Great ball movement, aggresiveness and finishing.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As far as Langevine.... we don't play "inside-outside" basketball, with the offense
going through the post.
Langevine's bad hands would be even a greater issue if we did.
You can't coach up bad hands.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

You dont think his touch will improve?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who knows? It's like a player in football who fumbles a lot,
or can't catch passes. (wind up as defensive backs for that reason),
a fielder in baseball with stone hands.
Can good hands be taught?
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I think with repetition hands can approve
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Even if is only comfort with the repetition.
Last edited by Roz 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Have a jugs machine firing footballs at him. See what happens. It couldn't hurt.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Would fractured fingers count as hurt?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Would fractured fingers count as hurt?
To Rod's point...might ID him as a DB...and maybe Fleming should watch?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....I still like transplanting Andre's hands on CL....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't expect CL to get to the offensive skill set of Hassan but hopefully he improves and is at least serviceable at that end.

He should give us some monster jams at the least
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:URI now has a better road A-10 record than at home. They are 5-2 on the road (Wins-SLU, Duq, Davidson, UMass, GMU / Losses-Dayton, Rich) and only 4-3 at home (Wins-SJU, GW, UMass, SBU / Losses-LaSalle, Dayton, Fordham).

Now we go to 6-2 on the road

I have wondered myself about the crowds a number of times during this season. Does this particular group of players respond better to playing on the road?
I have heard the heckling at the Ryan, it's particularly noticeable when it is quiet and a single voice can be heard.
In the William and Mary Game a guy was yelling to take EC out of the game.
I am not saying the guy is wrong, or should be muzzled, but I would prefer that the home crowd keep to the positive cheering and encouragement.
The players and the coaches hear this stuff and it can't help but hurt their phych
So maybe there is something to this group being more timid, more gun-shy, more nervous at home, especially when the crowd is on the smaller side which attendance has been quite low
Not making excuses, the players and coaches must overcome all obstacles, home and away, hostile or friendly crowds, NCAA OR BUST - no excuses!!
0 x