Do You Think URI Is one of 68 NCAA Teams on March 12?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

yes
33%
no
67%

Total votes: 51

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: Do You Think URI Is one of 68 NCAA Teams on March 12?

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

SmartyBarrett wrote:PC is in literally zero other brackets.

http://bracketmatrix.com/
Let's not forget who tells Li'l Kevie what to write, post, say and think.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

giovanni wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:If 5-8 in the Big East is good enough to make the tournament then they should just shut the whole thing down and cancel it.
I honestly don't understand this point of view. Not about PC in particular but about a certain record. If you are one of the best 30 something at large, let them in. Clemson is 3-10 in the ACC but #39 in kenpom . They don't have a single loss to a team outside the kenpom top 100 and have nine top 100 wins. Five were away from home. They won't make it because the committee won't have the guts to put a 5-13 conference record team in but who would you bet money on if they played URI on a neutral floor? They did beat Davidson by 20 on a neutral floor. Just take the best teams.

I agree with this to point also. But Big East shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the ACC this year outside of Villanova. Look at the depth. Also there can be several arguments made around this. With an eye test, I would argue Clemson would win the A 10, hands down. If you are letting the best teams in, this year in particular are all coming from the power 5. Also, Clemson and other power 5 schools have much different and more powerful resources. But with that comes the possibility of not succeeding to a certain level in you particular conference. And the possibility of the view that if you cannot succeed against your conference, you shouldn't be in. How many games do you think URI would win in the ACC? Or BE for that matter? If you get destroyed by LaSalle and Richmond, what makes anyone think they could beat Wake Forest or Clemson? Or Georgetown or Seton Hall? There are not many Duquesne's and Fordham is those conferences.
I would say the acc is better but it is not as far a gap as you make it out too be. You could take Georgetown who is currently in ninth place in the big east and make the same argument you made with Clemson they have a lot of quality wins and a very good strength of schedule.
Last edited by woodennickel1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Koch is delusional.....2-8 against the top 100......

We only have to win 8 in a row to get there.....no problem right?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Top 100 wins is a factor but it is comically overrated by people here. If they could get to an RPI of about 30 I wouldn't be worried about the "wins vs...." stuff at all. The problem is that the path to that mark - which looked feasible to me all year - now looks pretty unrealistic.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

woodennickel1 wrote:
I would say the acc is better but it is not as far a gap as you make it out too be. You could take Georgetown who is currently in ninth place in the big east and make the same argument you made with Clemson they have a lot of quality wins and a very good strength of schedule.

The ACC is going to get at least ten teams in. You can say everyone but BC is not dead. Pitt has two ACC wins and is still on bracket matrix. Even BC is not an easy out. They have two very good guards and have played probably eight or nine ACC games that were within a few possessions under two minutes left. That league is a beast. 14 top 100 kenpom teams. BC is #149 right between GW and Saint Joes.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, you might be right...but there's nothing comical about this season to this point.

Last season I seem to remember a lot of people on here saying that all we needed was EC back and we would be a lock for the dance....how'd that work out?

When the time finally comes when we start winning close games, then we can talk realistically about making the tournament.

Otherwise, we're just blowing smoke up our ass.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Gonebarongone wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:

The ACC is going to get at least ten teams in. You can say everyone but BC is not dead. Pitt has two ACC wins and is still on bracket matrix. Even BC is not an easy out. They have two very good guards and have played probably eight or nine ACC games that were within a few possessions under two minutes left. That league is a beast. 14 top 100 kenpom teams. BC is #149 right between GW and Saint Joes.
You are right about BC their guards are very good and that is very big in college basketball. If they can get a couple of decent bigs watch out. Christian has done a decent job there in a very tough place to win.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RoadyJay wrote:I wouldn't be surprised at any kind of finish really... But coaches' and players' backs are up against the wall.. I'm hoping we show some fight rather than crumble.

This team needs our support more now than ever.
Sign me up for this. Mews tonight?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

woodennickel1 wrote:
giovanni wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: I honestly don't understand this point of view. Not about PC in particular but about a certain record. If you are one of the best 30 something at large, let them in. Clemson is 3-10 in the ACC but #39 in kenpom . They don't have a single loss to a team outside the kenpom top 100 and have nine top 100 wins. Five were away from home. They won't make it because the committee won't have the guts to put a 5-13 conference record team in but who would you bet money on if they played URI on a neutral floor? They did beat Davidson by 20 on a neutral floor. Just take the best teams.

I agree with this to point also. But Big East shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the ACC this year outside of Villanova. Look at the depth. Also there can be several arguments made around this. With an eye test, I would argue Clemson would win the A 10, hands down. If you are letting the best teams in, this year in particular are all coming from the power 5. Also, Clemson and other power 5 schools have much different and more powerful resources. But with that comes the possibility of not succeeding to a certain level in you particular conference. And the possibility of the view that if you cannot succeed against your conference, you shouldn't be in. How many games do you think URI would win in the ACC? Or BE for that matter? If you get destroyed by LaSalle and Richmond, what makes anyone think they could beat Wake Forest or Clemson? Or Georgetown or Seton Hall? There are not many Duquesne's and Fordham is those conferences.

Not sure what to tell you if you honestly believe there is not much of a gap between ACC and BE. You may be a huge BE fan but that's delusional. Villanova is great, period. Creighton was very good before Watson got hurt. Xavier was good, but very overrated, now they don't have Sumner. Butler is rock solid, but are coming back to earth. Yeah, they had a great November and December. They are 8-5 playing Marquette, PC, DePaul, SH. You really believe they would be 8 -5 playing UNC, Duke, Louisville, ND, FSU, VA, Miami? Clemson is 3 - 9 and PC is 5-8 in their conferences. Try to tell me with honesty PC would have 5 wins playing in the ACC? Please. They got destroyed by BC, easily the worst team in the ACC. . You can argue who beat who and metrics all day long. Butler beat AZ but lost to Ind St. Gtown beat Oregon but lost at home to Ark St and that goes on and on. It's been a crazy year that's for sure. PC has had a pleasant year, so you should be happy, but be serious and use an eye test if nothing else. I certainly agree neither URI or PC are tournament type teams.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

giovanni wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

Not sure what to tell you if you honestly believe there is not much of a gap between ACC and BE. You may be a huge BE fan but that's delusional. Villanova is great, period. Creighton was very good before Watson got hurt. Xavier was good, but very overrated, now they don't have Sumner. Butler is rock solid, but are coming back to earth. Yeah, they had a great November and December. They are 8-5 playing Marquette, PC, DePaul, SH. You really believe they would be 8 -5 playing UNC, Duke, Louisville, ND, FSU, VA, Miami? Clemson is 3 - 9 and PC is 5-8 in their conferences. Try to tell me with honesty PC would have 5 wins playing in the ACC? Please. They got destroyed by BC, easily the worst team in the ACC. . You can argue who beat who and metrics all day long. Butler beat AZ but lost to Ind St. Gtown beat Oregon but lost at home to Ark St and that goes on and on. It's been a crazy year that's for sure. PC has had a pleasant year, so you should be happy, but be serious and use an eye test if nothing else. I certainly agree neither URI or PC are tournament type teams.
All I will say if Georgetown was playing Clemson right now I would take Georgetown. Clemson got a lot of their good wins early in the year like at south carolina and have now lost 9 out of their last 11 while Georgetown is surging. As far as BC crushing pc I will say St Johns also went to syracuse and beat them by 30 anything can happen in a one game setting . I think PC would have close to the same record I honestly am not that impressed with wake forest, Gt or syracuse for that matter and they would probably upset a team or two.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Georgetown surging? Ok. They are playing better, but they are 14 -12. If beating PC twice, a totally different Creighton team than started the year, a Butler team that is slumping is surging yes they are. As far as scores, like I said, you can go on forever about that. Those 3 teams you mentioned, Wake, GT beat BC pretty easily as well as Syr did at Syr. I find it hard to believe Georgetown or PC would be surging if they had to face UNC, Duke, ND, Louisville, VA, FSU so on. UNH beat Temple who beat WVA who beat Kansas too. Does that mean UNH and therefore PC is better than Kansas?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

woodennickel1 wrote:
giovanni wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:

PC would win maybe four games in the ACC this year.
All I will say if Georgetown was playing Clemson right now I would take Georgetown. Clemson got a lot of their good wins early in the year like at south carolina and have now lost 9 out of their last 11 while Georgetown is surging. As far as BC crushing pc I will say St Johns also went to syracuse and beat them by 30 anything can happen in a one game setting . I think PC would have close to the same record I honestly am not that impressed with wake forest, Gt or syracuse for that matter and they would probably upset a team or two.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

RoadyJay wrote:I wouldn't be surprised at any kind of finish really... But coaches' and players' backs are up against the wall.. I'm hoping we show some fight rather than crumble.

This team needs our support more now than ever.
Our fans need support more now than ever!!!!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

21377, Rhody will always have a small but loyal hard core group of fans, besides the bigger boosters of course.....

No matter what.......and we are a big part of that.

Coaches and players come and go, but we're here for the long haul.....I hope anyway.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Problem is, Rambone, that small but loyal group is not getting any younger. And they have blown multiple opportunties to get new loyal fans by continuously losing critical games. Friday night was the worst; I really thought they were going to win. Somehow, they found a way to lose. Next year, if/when the hype starts again, will people listen?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

21377, if they do....they haven't been watching us.

What could be the hype next season? Fatts coming here? He looks like he might be a very talented and heady player which is great.....but he's a freshmen and won't play a whole lot behind Jarvis. Unless he's REALLY good.

We should have a very good backcourt.....but that's where it ends. Teams that have bigs that can play will eat our lunch inside.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

March Madness is going to be crazy as usual

Let's go we got to be perfect now
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

You'll find me in section 203 cheering this team on at the last 3 games at the RC this year.

Of course you'll also find me at Proclamation beforehand to calm my damn nerves.

It ain't over til it's over.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

lol

anymore brain busters?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's over.
0 x