THE EARLY LINE URI VS DAYTON

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

THE EARLY LINE URI VS DAYTON

Unread post by luke »

The line is open and it is URI - 3. VERY EVEN GAME. URI absolutely has to have
this game and Dayton does not, so it could go either way. Dayton could be loose and play well
and URI could be tight as we have seen them be in such circumstances or URI could come out
on fire and Dayton could be flat. This definitely not a game to bet your house on either team.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS DAYTON

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

it's like a playoff game for us

hope we bring the urgency

PLAYOFFS !?!!
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The most important game of the season now. Fortunately it is at home where they usually shoot the ball better
and play with energy with the exception of the Lasalle game.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Should be electric atmosphere
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......and Friday nite.....plenty of time for hydration.....Rhody Pubs......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

thats fair. neutral court pick 'em
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I'm not so sure that Dayton doesn't need this game as bad as we do. Right now our resume's are pretty similar, they have fewer losses and more wins but a weaker SOS. Their best win is a home win against us. A top 50 road win against us solidifies them in the tourney most likely. A loss and we probably move ahead of them in the RPI standings and likely take their A10 at-large bid. I think this game is going to be played as a must-win on both sides.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Dre3000 wrote:I'm not so sure that Dayton doesn't need this game as bad as we do. Right now our resume's are pretty similar, they have fewer losses and more wins but a weaker SOS. Their best win is a home win against us. A top 50 road win against us solidifies them in the tourney most likely. A loss and we probably move ahead of them in the RPI standings and likely take their A10 at-large bid. I think this game is going to be played as a must-win on both sides.
I agree completely. People seem to think Dayton's resume is much better than it truly is for some reason.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

adam914 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:I'm not so sure that Dayton doesn't need this game as bad as we do. Right now our resume's are pretty similar, they have fewer losses and more wins but a weaker SOS. Their best win is a home win against us. A top 50 road win against us solidifies them in the tourney most likely. A loss and we probably move ahead of them in the RPI standings and likely take their A10 at-large bid. I think this game is going to be played as a must-win on both sides.
I agree completely. People seem to think Dayton's resume is much better than it truly is for some reason.
Same with VCU tbh. We arent as far behind them as bracketology makes it seem.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

so...I keep hearing how we should want Dayton VCU to win all of their games, and then lose to URI. I 'get' the last part. But, if Rhody is going to win the regular season A10 title, seems chances would be better if VCU/Dayton also lost to someone else. So, why would it not be a good thing for Rhody to win the A10 regular season and finish with a record better than those two (meaning they'd both have to lose to someone else)? I also get the head to head tiebreaker stuff, but wouldn't an outright title be better?

Don't think that, beating them and having the same record is better than beating them and having a better record.
Seems it would be better to be the outright winner of the conference...as the Eck would say, "lift and separate"...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

they have 8 top 100 wins currently to our 3...
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Depends on how much you think your resume benefits from winning the A10 outright versus a win against a VCU or Dayton as a top-25ish RPI team as opposed to a top-30 or top-35 team. At this point in the season where you know they're going to finish as clear top-50 teams, I'm with you in preferring they slip up and we win the league. I think the concern earlier was them slipping out of the top-50 and not giving us anymore chances to rack up those types of wins.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Thanks, I say win the league and win it outright. At this point, neither of them is going to drop off the face of the planet...they're firmly ingrained in the "Top of the league" psyche...if they lose another or two, besides to URI...and URI wins the league outright...seems way better than winning a 'tiebreaker' scenario among a cluster of teams. Stand Out!

Might be tough to focus at work tomorrow...when/where does the earliest pre-gamer start? Can we get a trash can fire going in the parking lot around 4? :lol:
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Thanks, I say win the league and win it outright. At this point, neither of them is going to drop off the face of the planet...they're firmly ingrained in the "Top of the league" psyche...if they lose another or two, besides to URI...and URI wins the league outright...seems way better than winning a 'tiebreaker' scenario among a cluster of teams. Stand Out!
Doesn't matter at all if they win the league outright, in a tiebreaker, or finish 3rd. The committee gives no extra points if you win the league, even outright. If they do get in, it'll be because of their record/RPI, not because of where they finished in the standings. Root for VCU and Dayton unless Rhody is playing them, because more A10 bids is good for Rhody - period.
Last edited by 860_rhody 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

860_rhody wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Thanks, I say win the league and win it outright. At this point, neither of them is going to drop off the face of the planet...they're firmly ingrained in the "Top of the league" psyche...if they lose another or two, besides to URI...and URI wins the league outright...seems way better than winning a 'tiebreaker' scenario among a cluster of teams. Stand Out!
Doesn't matter at all if they win the league outright, in a tiebreaker, or finish 3rd. The committee gives no extra points if you win the league, even outright. If they do get in, it'll be because of their record/RPI, not because of where they finished in the standings. Root for VCU and Dayton unless Rhody is playing them, because more A10 bids is good for Rhody - period.
Exactly! and the better VCU and Dayton are the better the wins against them would be.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:
860_rhody wrote:
Exactly! and the better VCU and Dayton are the better the wins against them would be.
So...finishing in a three way tie for 1xt and winning a tie-breaker is better than winning it outright...? I don't think so...then again, what do I know?
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:they have 8 top 100 wins currently to our 3...
This is true, if all we are looking at is "top 100" and not considering who those teams were. 6 of them are 75 or higher, so while the top 100 wins number is very good, none of them are really the marquee wins you would normally see on a tourney resume. Don't get me wrong, they are in right now and they should be, but I don't think the resume is as good as some here seem to think it is.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
860_rhody wrote:
So...finishing in a three way tie for 1xt and winning a tie-breaker is better than winning it outright...? I don't think so...then again, what do I know?
It wouldn't be better, but it wouldn't be worse either. It just doesn't matter where we finish in the standings. If we're going to make the Tournament, it's not going to be because of where we finish in the league, it's going to be because of our resume.
Last edited by 860_rhody 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just win the league outright. Win all remaining games. Forget what others are or are not doing in the A10. Focus on your own team.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes that's why I am pissed off VCU got off the hook on winning those 2 games they should have lost

I think if we win the reg season crown we will get in especially if we win our first game in the a10 tourney

Also Dayton absolutely needs this game also
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Whether or not we win the regular season title does not matter.
If we beat Dayton and VCU and they stumble and not make the tournament then the wins against them won't worth that much.
Even though I feel like in the event we win the league we're probably in good shape.
But say we lose to GMU and St joes but beat Dayton and VCU we will really want them not to slip up.

We want to be in the tournament and we should want VCU and Dayton to be in the tournament as well. It's. Enter for us. Better for the league. Which makes things better for us.

But I mean, as long as we are in I'm happy as a baby goat with a teet in its mouth.

Best case scenario.
URI 15-3
VCU 14-4
Dayton 14-4

It's really about time we win a regular season crown.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote:Whether or not we win the regular season title does not matter.
If we beat Dayton and VCU and they stumble and not make the tournament then the wins against them won't worth that much.
Even though I feel like in the event we win the league we're probably in good shape.
But say we lose to GMU and St joes but beat Dayton and VCU we will really want them not to slip up.

We want to be in the tournament and we should want VCU and Dayton to be in the tournament as well. It's. Enter for us. Better for the league. Which makes things better for us.

But I mean, as long as we are in I'm happy as a baby goat with a teet in my mouth.

Best case scenario.
URI 15-3
VCU 14-4
Dayton 14-4

It's really about time we win a regular season crown.
But I mean, as long as we are in I'm happy as a baby goat with a teet in my mouth. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe Roady Jay can make a poster of this for the Post Dayton Game Victory Signage :lol:
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:so...I keep hearing how we should want Dayton VCU to win all of their games, and then lose to URI. I 'get' the last part. But, if Rhody is going to win the regular season A10 title, seems chances would be better if VCU/Dayton also lost to someone else. So, why would it not be a good thing for Rhody to win the A10 regular season and finish with a record better than those two (meaning they'd both have to lose to someone else)? I also get the head to head tiebreaker stuff, but wouldn't an outright title be better?

Don't think that, beating them and having the same record is better than beating them and having a better record.
Seems it would be better to be the outright winner of the conference...as the Eck would say, "lift and separate"...
In my eyes the three goals in order are:

1. Make it to the NCAA tournament

2. Win the a10 tournament

3. Win the league

Right now wins over Dayton and VCU, assuming they keep playing well, will definitely get us in the tournament unless we have some crazy collapse. At that point as long as we finish top 4 and have a bye going into the a10 tournament I don't think it matters what place we finish. Obviously winning the league is a nice accomplishment and would definitely put us in the NCAA tournament but in my opinion it's not that memorable.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't think winning the league is memorable either..but I think winning it outright carries more weight toward getting them in than a multi-team cluster at the top. Stop cheering for VCU and Dayton under all circumstances until Rhody has a clear record advantage.
1 x