Game 24: Dayton Friday Feb 10, 7:00PM ESPN2 Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: Game 24: Dayton Friday Feb 10, 7:00PM ESPN2 Ryan Center

Unread post by PeteRI »

I feel bad for the 7,000+ fans who showed up only to see us poop our pants yet again.

Thank God for the Patriots!! :mrgreen:
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ECR, I am too....but you know, we should be used to this.....I actually don't get as pissed as I used to......

It's "what's it going to be this time?' or "how are we going to lose this one?' every time, without fail.

So I expect us to fail...and we don't disappoint.....

And that's terrible...but it's also the reality.

I wonder what our record is under Dan when it comes to basically even games with a minute to go...have we won more than a couple in 5 years?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That was an Aaron fucking Boone dagger. Same old garbage finish.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This one stings real bad

What a fucking choke job
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

DeanDome88 wrote:
RhodeIslandRams wrote:One thing we all can agree on? It SUCKED to lose another big game we had right in our hands.
I agree, we are so close to being a good team.
Unfortunately this post could be applied for much of the last 15 years, definitely the last 5
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Talk about ripping your heart out!
It just seems we're doomed to finding ways to lose
close games, especially ones that mean something.
Can't blame the refs. We got 7 less foul calls and missed
11 free throws.
Dowtin's game ending pass to EC looked like a punt.
EC had an air ball in his last shot to end the first half.
Yet, the play was to EC. EC is 0 forever on last second shots.
So, he gets the final shot?
Dayton had 10 turnovers and 26 fouls.
The game should have been in the bag.
Our DEEP quality bench, accounted for THREE points in
47 combined minutes.
Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat.
Once again, a huge crowd goes home disappointed.
Happens every time.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I doubt there is a team in America that has lost as many close games the way that we have over the last 15 years.....the players change...the coaches change....but the results remain the same......

I don't know what the "curse" is caused by....but we definitely have one...and we can't seem to get rid of it.
3 x
mikejacques1969
Jim Eitner

Unread post by mikejacques1969 »

Underachievers. This team has lost every close game that they needed to have during Hurley's tenure. I don't care that this team missed crucial free throws down the stretch. The coach needs to draw up a game plan to defend against an open three point shot with 18 seconds left. That is coaching, plain and simple.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This season is a failure. That we have lost so many games to teams that we are clearly better than is just not good enough. I don't blame Hurley for tonight, but overall this is on him. Hurley supporters can say what you want but the bottom line is this guy is not taking us to the NCAA tournament. We will probably go far in the NIT though!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why do you think we'd go far in the NIT?
Remember the Stanford debacle?
They mailed it in, and Hurley was out of control and was slammed
on national TV.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Talk about ripping your heart out!
It just seems we're doomed to finding ways to lose
close games, especially ones that mean something.
Can't blame the refs. We got 7 less foul calls and missed
11 free throws.
Dowtin's game ending pass to EC looked like a punt.
EC had an air ball in his last shot to end the first half.
Dayton had 10 turnovers and 26 fouls.
The game should have been in the bag.
Our DEEP quality bench, accounted for THREE points in
47 combined minutes.
Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat.
Once again, a huge crowd goes home disappointed.
Happens every time.

Agree with post totally. Feel bad for all the guys, its not lack of effort of concern for anyone on the team. But really feel bad for Dowtin. He is actually a freshman, not a jr or sr forced into a starting role he didn't expect and has done a great job for the most part. Seems like a young man that will really hurt for that pass, when in reality, we should have made a few plays and never been behind with 1.4 to go.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote:This season is a failure. That we have lost so many games to teams that we are clearly better than is just not good enough. I don't blame Hurley for tonight, but overall this is on him. Hurley supporters can say what you want but the bottom line is this guy is not taking us to the NCAA tournament. We will probably go far in the NIT though!
NIT is typically a great accomplishment for an A 10 team, to a point anyway. But for this team, while an NIT run would be great, I guess, but who cares reallly/ I am in the corner that I would rather be beat in the 1st round of the real dance, than be simply one of the best 100 teams in the country; Don't want to be Fairleigh Dickerson . Well, they may be dancing, maybe a bad example.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

studs06, we will only go far if we can avoid being in a tight game in the last minute.....anything really close is a loss......

We beat Davidson and UMass by daylight....they weren't that close AT THE END.....the first UMass game we tried to give that one away so it was closer than it should have been.

We have more chances to be in close games coming up.....let's see....GMU, LaSalle, maybe even St. Joes [and we know if that one's close it's a loss] and of course VCU...we aren't done losing yet. 12-6 conference record....4th most likely.

We will most likely get one home NIT game....and end up losing in the 2nd round on the road...we really are very predictable.

I predict 20-10....after the A10T...21-11.....NIT land. RPI in the 50's.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I feel worse for all the loyal Rhody followers who spend their time
and money, year after year.
What do they get in return?
Disappointment in situations that seem like
Groundhog Day.
Around the 2 minute mark or so, someone watching the game with me
asked,"So how will we lose this one?" We were leading at the time.
How many of us shared that thought?
More than a few, I'm guessing.
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I was actually being sarcastic about that NIT comment. I don't really care what we do. My point was a team this talented will be going to the NIT and it's not good enough.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Sum up the disappointment for me = the team is its own worst enemy. If they were overachieving and just jinxed that would be tough to take. It isn't that. It's worse. They are as good as any team sans Duke. There isn't one other team they played where they were outclassed. I expect the team to be favorites in every game going forward. I can look at the calendar and put down 'L' for VCU & St. Joes. Then they will make it to semi's in A-10 tourney and we know what will happen. It is as if the URI culture is not knowing how to get over the 'success' hump. It's like every URI team is from 1988 and every game that would turn them from the hunters to the hunted thinks they are going against Temple so cannot get the job done.
Last edited by DanInAZ 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

studs06...are we really that talented? How can we be when we have no clutch players? Dumb plays on offense and defense.

Guys who choke at the foul line. Not just one, but most of them.

A coach who might not be developing his players as well as he should be?

There's a list...it's not one thing...tonight it was several things.....always just enough to lose.

talent isn't just physical....there's a lot of teams that have that...but teams that consistently win the big games, close games, have "mental" talent...on the court and on the coaching staff.....

We are terribly lacking in the "mental talent" part of the game....the different between being mediocre and good.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....from my seat, the players on the floor in the last few minutes seemed to have this "no problem we've got this......"on their faces......even EC missing the free throws had a kinda false confident smile of no big deal.....not that he wasn't concerned, but they would pull it out anyway....they thought they had it won.....this team can't close, can't dig a little deeper and/or be coached to prevent the opponents in close games from making killer plays or make killer plays ourselves....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Dayton's winning culture was on full display at the end of this game tonight. URI's lack of it was showing as well. Even though Williams made the shots, those don't happen without the smart play of Scoochie Smith. Guy is incredible and always manages to be a killer against us. Drove to the middle both times, drew everyone in, and made the smart play and found the open man.

Honestly thought we had a great shot to get separation up 29-18 in the first half. Came out VERY flat to start the 2nd half, and from there you knew it was going to be a dogfight which we don't typically win against Dayton. I won't harp on the FT's, plenty of others will do so. Offensive goaltending and numerous missed layups in the paint are also to blame tonight (Langevine has to have the worst hands in the nation). Point being, we were well in control and didn't step on their throats. Pittsburgh or bust.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:I feel worse for all the loyal Rhody followers who spend their time
and money, year after year.
What do they get in return?
Disappointment in situations that seem like
Groundhog Day.
Around the 2 minute mark or so, someone watching the game with me
asked,"So how will we lose this one?" We were leading at the time.
How many of us shared that thought?
More than a few, I'm guessing.
I know I did. Unfortunately or fortunately I guess, I wasn't able to attend game. Did watch though. And same exact thought, though I believe it came from my mouth saying how we can lose this one. I think Bone said it, I'd almost rather lose by 20. Not as much pain. I am not definitely not down on players, they are young men. I am not down , that much on Hurley. But lets say, Kraft, Penders and the forbidden Harrick have spoiled me. If you can say that with almost a 40 year span.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Nice to meet Mongo tonight as well, despite the result. Safe travels back to Texas!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hurley said in postgame that he told the guys to deny the three ball.
But they just didn't do it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

BPR2010 wrote:Dayton's winning culture was on full display at the end of this game tonight. URI's lack of it was showing as well. Even though Williams made the shots, those don't happen without the smart play of Scoochie Smith. Guy is incredible and always manages to be a killer against us. Drove to the middle both times, drew everyone in, and made the smart play and found the open man.

Honestly thought we had a great shot to get separation up 29-18 in the first half. Came out VERY flat to start the 2nd half, and from there you knew it was going to be a dogfight which we don't typically win against Dayton. I won't harp on the FT's, plenty of others will do so. Offensive goaltending and numerous missed layups in the paint are also to blame tonight (Langevine has to have the worst hands in the nation). Point being, we were well in control and didn't step on their throats. Pittsburgh or bust.
Whoa,,,wait...what??? Langevine has hands??
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Talent, to me, are guys who show up every game,
and give a consistent superior perfromance.
Our guys are like Forest Gump's box of chocolates.
You never know what you're getting.
Hassan is the closest to being the steady rock.
Everyone else, without exception, is up and down.
Think back to guys we loved as players.
It wasn't feast or famine with any of them.
There are always off games, but not on a game by game
basis.
Our talent? Not the dependable kind.
Scoochie Smith played the worst game I'd seen him play.
Yet, when the game was in crunch time, he made
the big plays.
That's a winner.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There are THREE GIVENS IN LIFE - Death, taxes, and Rhody choking in a big game.

URI has got the art of collapsing in big games down to a science. I don't think there is another sports team out there that you can count on to choke away a game. They have done it so often it is no longer a surprise but rather an expectation.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, Dayton has clutch players....they've proven it over and over again the last 3 years....how many close games have they won in that time?

We have.....players...not to be confused with clutch however.....both are veteran teams....but the similarity ends there.

Well we are athletic, just like them. As we can see, so what?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:This season is a failure. That we have lost so many games to teams that we are clearly better than is just not good enough. I don't blame Hurley for tonight, but overall this is on him. Hurley supporters can say what you want but the bottom line is this guy is not taking us to the NCAA tournament. We will probably go far in the NIT though!
NIT is typically a great accomplishment for an A 10 team, to a point anyway. But for this team, while an NIT run would be great, I guess, but who cares reallly/ I am in the corner that I would rather be beat in the 1st round of the real dance, than be simply one of the best 100 teams in the country; Don't want to be Fairleigh Dickerson . Well, they may be dancing, maybe a bad example.

Memo to Thorr Bjorn. I have zero interest in attending an NIT game and will decline purchasing tickets when contacted. I have seen far too many of these games and they no longer appeal to me. As far as I am concerned, when this team loses in the A-10 Tournament as is expected, the season ends that same day. I don't think I am entirely alone in my thinking.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......NIT invite.....maybe we can host UConn.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As long as we don't get to MSG...Thorr and Dooley might extend Dan out until 2030......sarcasm here
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Same ending -just a different year. Rough ride home to CT. Just watched replay. Watched the JT play 5X - he was fouled hard by Pollard. Watched it in slow motion. Hit hard by the stiff arm.

We did lose this game at the stripe The end was just another episode in the Gorundhog Day - Rhody Hoops saga. How to lose 101. That class is held in Chaffee auditorium.

Fuck me - this sucks
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I don't know what's going on with E.C. but he just doesn't come to play every game from the start of every game. The best part about the 1st half for me was that the guys were taking it to Dayton in a big way and E.C. wasn't doing anything to hurt his team.
Iverson played great. Terrell played great. Hassan played alright.
Nothing I can say that hasn't been said a million times before. Coach needs to improve on drawing up end of the game plays...blah...blah...blah...our announcer sucks...blah..blah..blah..and so on and so forth.
Maybe next year right???? NIT here we come.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great turn out for a great game down to the wire in not good driving conditions.
Taped the game and rewatched the Terrell drive which to me could have been called several ways and the least likely is what they called:

1. Terrell was fouled - could definitely make this case
2. Terrell traveled - this is what I thought and replay confirms that it looked like he took at least two steps. Read the Dayton massage board and several say he traveled. I personally think he did.
3. Jump ball could have been called
4. Ball deflected off Terrells thigh. I thought this was the case and so did the announcers. However, the foul or the travel or the jump all happened before the ball went off Terrells thigh

What is strange is after all that they gave the ball to us. Oh well it didn't matter anyway except if the foul had been called. I'm with those who say the refs knew they blew the foul call and decided to give it yo Rhody. Maybe this was the case. I think Hurley would have exploded if refs gave the ball to Dayton.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

JT could have been murdered on the play....they wouldn't have called it....it's us remember?

I can't remember the last time we got a call in that situation....of course there's been a few the other way.

Of course, would JT have made both? One? We'll never know.

ramster, small consolation......with 1.4 seconds left we are helpless in that situation.....other teams could get a good shot...we never would.

yes EC was open but Dowtin made a bad pass......unusual for him, but SOP for the team. Whatever it takes.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we were VCU we would have gotten the call.....and Lewis would have made both......but we're not VCU.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone,
Dayton made a good move putting their jumping jack Davis on Dowtin throwing the ball in. Dayton played hellacious defense for about 4.5 seconds and Dowtin could not find anyone open because they weren't. Dowtin made a not good pass but he was very close to a 5 second call and had to let it go.
2 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

You dont give the ball to dowtin to inbound it. You give it to a vet, like mathews or iverson with terrell coming off a screen. That being said our next week of practices should be free throw shooting. We would have won with average ft shooting.
1 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

I'm 17 y/o, been following Rhody basketball closely for two seasons now, and even I can tell that this "curse" without a doubt exists. Can't even imagine what it must be like following the team for decades.

Important game. Stakes are high. URI plays good, solid basketball, and well deserves to take home a victory.

Final minutes, we CHOKE free throws, and the other team knocks down 3 pointers. EVERY TIME.

It is just CRAZY
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seems I say this in one big game every year and I'll continue to do so.
Dayton with ball and we are up 2 with 15 seconds to go. I will always say don't give a 3. Fouling would be my preference and send Dayton to the line and worst case is they hit two and tie. Sure they could rebound a missed FT and win - I get het but very rare.
But as so many have already said they KNEW that 3 with 8 seconds left was going in "it always does" against us.

Also, with 8 seconds to go down one most all of us know we are not going to win.

So don't give the 3 ball. Be tied at worst and try to win with 8 seconds to go without the pressure of being down by one and at least go to OT.
They will always hit the 3 and we will always fail to come from behind. So foul. Nothing to lose. Do something different.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote: EC had an air ball in his last shot to end the first half.
To add to this, Rod, the moment I started worrying about this game was when the inbounds play after Dayton cut it to 1 with :16 left was designed to go to EC not once but twice (the first attempt was deflected out of bounds). The same EC who just a minute earlier stepped to the line in a tie game to shoot THREE free throws and missed the first two (giggling about it as he pissed his "brother" Hassan's chance to go to a NCAA tournament away) before making the last one, and the same EC who would finish the night 4-8 from the line. 100 times out of 100 I would have preferred Terrell, Iverson, Martin and even Dowtin to take those free throws. He makes 1/2, Dayton goes ahead on another rainbow prayer from this scrub Williams and that's the ballgame.

EC is a good player and a good kid and I hate to bag on him, but Hurley's deference to him has cost us before and tonight it cost us whatever chance we realistically had at saving the season. EC went 2/5 from the line in the last 90 seconds, and that was the difference. But he never should have even taken the second two.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

You dont give the ball to dowtin to inbound it. You give it to a vet, like mathews or iverson with terrell coming off a screen. That being said our next week of practices should be free throw shooting. We would have won with average ft shooting.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

There is no one in the free world who has seen us who doesn't know that EC will get the last shot. Why does Hurley even call a timeout?
Add that to our never-ending man defense and we're the most predictable team in the country.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

To be fair about giving it to EC on the last shot: they did try to have Terrell take the last shot originally but he was fouled bottled up trying to take it, setting up that last ill fated play. And even on that one, I thought KI was supposed to be the first option cutting to the block in front of the inbounder and they had him for a second (I thought seeing it from my seat, anyways, I'll have look at it on video tomorrow). Regardless, though, as I explained above I thought there was another instance where forcing the ball to EC cost them the game.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like him holding the ball with the last 15 seconds in the half.
He wound up tossing an air ball.
Really?
As I've said, EC is 0 for his career in last second shots.
Yet the final play was to him.
I'm sure he's a great kid and a hard worker, but the fact is,
he is the most overrated player I've seen at URI in my
50 plus years of following Rhody ball.
Watch guys like Monk, Ball, Mason, and a bunch of others.
Those are true NBA prospects.
The myth of EC being an NBA lottery pick is delusional.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Last year I kept telling myself don't worry we will have a full squad next year and we could make a great run in the NCAA tournament. Now before tonight's game I'm reading bracketology lists wondering if we will be the last four in. We aren't cursed. We just continue to hire coaches that do just enough to get us excited but not enough to get us over the hump. Dan Hurley is not the answer. If you don't think it's his lack of coaching ability like I do and it's on the players he's the one that recruited them. It's on him.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

My group of west coast friends see my Rhody fandom as some sort of novelty. Especially my knowledge and dedication to the Rams.

So naturally on a slow Friday happy hour when Rhody is on the big screen, they all watched with me.

With about 10 minutes to go I calmly warned them, "We're going to miss free throws to ice it, get screwed on a few calls and if we're up two they will ABSOLUTELY hit a 3.

I also predicted that we wouldn't even get a shot off.

They couldn't believe it and had many a laugh at my (our) expense. And I told em, it happens like this all the time every year.

These numbers aren't official but since 2007, I think Rhody is 3-29 against RPI top 50 teams. And in games decided by 3 or less I'm going to ballpark that opponents are shooting 76% from 3 in the last 2 minutes, give or take.

And when Rhody has a chance to win or tie in any of those games, they rarely get the shot off.

Now let's beat Fordham, Mason, LaSalle, get excited and lose to VCU in the last minute.

Our Rhody Rams, one foot on the bubble, one on the banana peel.

Worst part is, I love our guys and really want them to do well. And they will all over Europe when they're done here like they always have. But man, can't we lace up our dancing shoes this century?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a stinging defeat

EC got to make your free throws

I knew the refs wouldn't call a foul on Terrell at the end unless it was a big time mugging they don't usually decide the game at the line

Dayton hit 2 long contested 3s to beat us kind of what the Pats did to the Falcs
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Let's predict now. Who and how do we lose in the A-10 semis? It's like Clue or Mad Libs.

My guess is VCU hits put back (no over the back call of course) with 4 seconds left. Inbounds to EC who pulls up from half court with 2 seconds left and air balls a 3.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I'll tell you what p*sses me off now that I watched the end again. Compare what Dayton ran from 16.6 seconds left to what we did with 7.2. Look at every Rhody player after JT gets it. DH took a TO to draw that up? Dribble as fast as you can into a double team! Dayton runs it to one side, screens the ball, and reverses back into plenty of space. Honestly, someone tell me what he possibly told them to do with 7 seconds left. Plenty of time for even a pass or two.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, it never ends......we have guys in that situation that take the ball, put their head down, and drive into traffic....

Never make a pass....guys open waiting for one that never comes....it's been that way for 5 years....

If DH draws up a play that involves passing they never run it properly....

But does he draw up it? Or is it duck and chuck?

We needed Dowtin to bring the ball up...I'll bet we would have gotten a good look. Of course we would have clanked it.......

Other than him, we have a bunch of ironheads out there. Or if that's what Dan "draws up" then the coach is an ironhead.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One other thing.....even when we win one of these games [never against a good team that never misses] we only win when they DO miss open shots....on our end we never make any when it counts...and I don't count our win against Fordham...that was a tip in....

I swear, the worst 3 pt. shooter on whoever we're playing will bury a 3 to beat us....never mind the better shooters....

We have to be setting some kind of record for futility in these situations.

Teams that execute basic plays at the end of games win them at least once in a while. We don't, so we won't.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x