Game 24: Dayton Friday Feb 10, 7:00PM ESPN2 Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
scine20
ARD

Re: Game 24: Dayton Friday Feb 10, 7:00PM ESPN2 Ryan Center

Unread post by scine20 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Hurley said in postgame that he told the guys to deny the three ball.
But they just didn't do it.
Sounds like someone else I know. "I told da seenyiz to guard da guys and get da rebounds dey just didn't do it."
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't think the problem is that they weren't denying the three, it's that they overplayed and didn't stay home and got beat when the ball was swung to a guy that they weren't worried about and lost track of. It's not an excuse - it is an inexcusable lapse - but I just don't think they weren't aware of the three.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......honestly, just do not know what to think anymore about these type losses.....the "images of the game" was the smile/giggle(which was very clear)from EC after each of his missed throws of the three opportunities and Hasson, after the game getting ready for the line, tugging his jersey up, looking skyward with this dejected, frustrated look on his face of "here we go again with post season team goals slipping away....."
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We can whine for 10 more pages but unlike PC, Valpo, Houston, Richmond and LaSalle Dayton is better than URI.

Better also includes not choking. Flyers do not choke. They keep playing.

Dayton is to this team what Temple was to the 88 team.

We are not good enough. Dayton Flyers deserving A10 champs. Done.

Well done.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, it happens all the time....if a guy is open for 3 he will make it if it's against us in a big spot...they never, ever miss.

For a supposedly good defensive team against the 3, we come up small every time. For the most part that doesn't happen for 39 minutes against us...just the last minute.

Those lapses come at the worst time. That's discipline, or lack of it actually. Game pressure overwhelms our players.

57, well put. Dayton [and others] are NOT more physically talented than us.

But they are more mentally talented. And there's the difference.

As to Temple in 88, they had Mark Macon...and we didn't. Dayton has Smith...and we don't.

And Archie gets more out of his players than Dan does his.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

The only true closer URI hoops has ever had is the only number hanging retired in the rafters.

Sad, but closers are a rarity - at least around these parts.

70 years is too long....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I can't bring myself to read everything that has been written here, but just like K Mac said on the first pick n' pop...Dayton has been there and knows how to win and we don't.

My mother called me at work yesterday telling me that she heard there is a big game tonight and she wanted to know if it was on TV. I told her the time and station, but also told her to expect them to lose...thats's what they do...they beat a few crappy teams and suck you in and pack the RC, only to crap themselves and crush everyones hopes when they face a real team...when I was at the school it used to happen with UMass and Temple, and it continues today.

She called me after the game and said she was "sorry" and I said it happened just like I told you...
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rodfromcranston wrote:I like him holding the ball with the last 15 seconds in the half.
He wound up tossing an air ball.
Really?
As I've said, EC is 0 for his career in last second shots.
Yet the final play was to him.
I'm sure he's a great kid and a hard worker, but the fact is,
he is the most overrated player I've seen at URI in my
50 plus years of following Rhody ball.
Watch guys like Monk, Ball, Mason, and a bunch of others.
Those are true NBA prospects.
The myth of EC being an NBA lottery pick is delusional.

I second the fact that EC is easily the most overrated player I have ever seen at URI. Not sure where the hype comes from. Danny I guess. NBA? NBA? NBA? If I were him I wouldn't even be thinking of playing in Taiwan. I am also certain he is a great kid, a tireless worker, a kid that had a terrible injury, but it is what it is. He is not even among the best in the A 10.. I have to hold my breath every time he touches the ball. For every time he hits a shot, 8 or 9 other times he either makes a senseless turnover, throws up a ridiculous shot or if he is lucky gets bailed out by the refs with some call he doesn't warrant. His handle is absolutely awful. He has never improved on his handle or his terrible decision making. It seems as if he thinks he is still playing against h.s kids in Detroit. When he was a freshman I thought he could be great and rival an Xavier Munford type scorer. Whether its the injury or something else, he is not even close. Great kid, good player, but for those who consider him a great player and an NBA player, I'd have to totally disagree.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I was sick to my stomach walking out of the arena after that loss. This team lacks leadership and chemistry. It doesn't even resemble the gritty and tough team of 2 years ago. That team had heart.
1 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

TruePoint wrote:I don't think the problem is that they weren't denying the three, it's that they overplayed and didn't stay home and got beat when the ball was swung to a guy that they weren't worried about and lost track of. It's not an excuse - it is an inexcusable lapse - but I just don't think they weren't aware of the three.
Then it's poor basketball IQ because it happens all the time and last night all game long. EC was burned doing this at least 3 times.

As for the last play, Smith penetrated down the left side of the lane and Iverson collapsed from the wing leaving his guy wide open on the 3 point line.

Dayton had us well scouted as our wing players constantly collapse to help especially in end of game situations even when it's not smart basketball. We have given a game tying or game winning 3 at least a half dozen times in past 3 years. As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say "You lack discipline."

You have a 2 point lead and Smith, Davis and Williams all have 4 fouls and Cooke and Pollard have 3, do you think Miller wants to go into OT especially on the road?

There should be 2 rules, don't foul and don't leave the 3 point line open and those who break those rules will be publicly flogged. If they hit a 2, fine. It's tied and you have the last shot (with this team does it even f'n matter) and at worse you go into OT at home with many of their players in foul trouble. Roll the dice in overtime, hope to get a 10 point lead with in OT with 1:00, so you don't to worry about FTS or final play calling.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Duplicate post
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

i have never seen what made people think he was an NBA player...never mind one that would leave early. I'm not saying he's not a good player...but he is waaaay overrated. 6' 4-5"" 2 guards who score in the mid-teens with OK shooting %'s are a dime a dozen. To make the NBA you need the be the best player on the floor most nights...most nights he's not even the best player on our team.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

In many ways I think this Dayton game was well coached by DH, I have some questions about throwing the press on with a two point lead and under a minute left and I have some ideas about going to E.C. in crunch time. Also, tough spot for a freshman to be inbounding the ball in such a close last second game, but you have to love what Dowtin has been able to do otherwise so kind of hard to slam DH for that. I thought some of his other moves were decent, he did a good job keeping the core fresh and out of foul trouble with a less predictable rotation of role players. Our starting five were on the court at the right time. I honestly feel like if this kind of finish wasn't ingrained in our collective understanding of 'Rhody close ones' the negatives wouldn't be so deplorable in this one. It's hard for me to speculate as to just why we lost this one, our players were all out effort in a very entertaining game and the coaching wasn't bad, if it wasn't for our history in close ones, I'd say we lost a close game to a team of fairly equal talent to our own. I feel heartbroken for the players, they deserve better results at this point than 16 and 8, but I would criticize the Providence game, Valpo, Houston, and Richmond game before I would tear this game's management apart. Unfortunately in the end it will only be known as another missed opportunity by a coach and a team that had the 'golden ticket' within their grasp.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sweep The Leg wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I don't think the problem is that they weren't denying the three, it's that they overplayed and didn't stay home and got beat when the ball was swung to a guy that they weren't worried about and lost track of. It's not an excuse - it is an inexcusable lapse - but I just don't think they weren't aware of the three.
Then it's poor basketball IQ because it happens all the time and last night all game long. EC was burned doing this at least 3 times.

As for the last play, Smith penetrated down the left side of the lane and Iverson collapsed from the wing leaving his guy wide open on the 3 point line.

Dayton had us well scouted as our wing players constantly collapse to help especially in end of game situations even when it's not smart basketball. We have given a game tying or game winning 3 at least a half dozen times in past 3 years. As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say "You lack discipline."

You have a 2 point lead and Smith, Davis and Williams all have 4 fouls and Cooke and Pollard have 3, do you think Miller wants to go into OT especially on the road?

There should be 2 rules, don't foul and don't leave the 3 point line open and those who break those rules will be publicly flogged. If they hit a 2, fine. It's tied and you have the last shot (with this team does it even f'n matter) and at worse you go into OT at home with many of their players in foul trouble. Roll the dice in overtime, hope to get a 10 point lead with in OT with 1:00, so you don't to worry about FTS or final play calling.
Obviously it's poor basketball IQ. The only place I'll disagree with you is that I don't think fouling would have been the worst thing in the world. At least on the floor and not a weak ass foul on a layup that a guy can finish thru. I believe they were still in a 1 and 1 situation.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What EC giveth he taketh away.....and his lack of consistency makes it worse. He has won a few games for us with his shooting, but almost never at the end of games.

Even when totally healthy next season the same problems will be there. Dan will have to look elsewhere for "closers".....

Our only hope is that JD and Fatts are the answer there.

Of course our crunch time D and lack of bigs...and FT shooting.......will any of that change?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote:In many ways I think this Dayton game was well coached by DH, I have some questions about throwing the press on with a two point lead and under a minute left and I have some ideas about going to E.C. in crunch time. Also, tough spot for a freshman to be inbounding the ball in such a close last second game, but you have to love what Dowtin has been able to do otherwise so kind of hard to slam DH for that. I thought some of his other moves were decent, he did a good job keeping the core fresh and out of foul trouble with a less predictable rotation of role players. Our starting five were on the court at the right time. I honestly feel like if this kind of finish wasn't ingrained in our collective understanding of 'Rhody close ones' the negatives wouldn't be so deplorable in this one. It's hard for me to speculate as to just why we lost this one, our players were all out effort in a very entertaining game and the coaching wasn't bad, if it wasn't for our history in close ones, I'd say we lost a close game to a team of fairly equal talent to our own. I feel heartbroken for the players, they deserve better results at this point than 16 and 8, but I would criticize the Providence game, Valpo, Houston, and Richmond game before I would tear this game's management apart. Unfortunately in the end it will only be known as another missed opportunity by a coach and a team that had the 'golden ticket' within their grasp.
Hard to blame Dowtin for the pass. Hassan and EC collided on the inbounds disrupted the timing, he looked elsewhere and nobody was open as it was getting dangerously close to a 5 second call and I think we were out of TOs, so Jeff threw it up in EC's area hoping for something, anything.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

Obviously it's poor basketball IQ. The only place I'll disagree with you is that I don't think fouling would have been the worst thing in the world. At least on the floor and not a weak ass foul on a layup that a guy can finish thru. I believe they were still in a 1 and 1 situation.
This team fouls lazy, would be worried with an and one situation.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......we lost the game via missed free throws done the stretch.....were we could have put the lead into multiple possessions.....and let's add the what three points from the bench....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, I would have given up a layup over what happened......at least OT we've got a chance.

We should know the ball is going to the open man if left open, and you can't count on them missing, they never do.

RR is right though....can't put too much blame on DH on the game coaching....but it's on him for the lack of discipline shown by his players...it's the entire package.

Disciplined teams win the close ones...exhibit A....Dayton. That's the difference between Archie as coach compared to the previous coach there...they were talented but couldn't win the close ones....even Baron could beat them when they had Gregory.

On the Dayton board they like to talk about "Archie puts them in position to win" more often than not...and his players follow through.

The little things mean everything in a game like last night's.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

This team fouls lazy, would be worried with an and one situation.
Doesn't matter if they are in the 1 and one or in the penalty for 2 shots, just foul. And don't foul when the player ,Ishtar be shooting your endanger an and one and a 3 point play. They gave up the 3 point play anyway. You just cannot let Dayton get a 3 point attempt off - can not! We all know it is going in. That is something we can all agree on - it is going in. Always has.....
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Sad ending last night just sad...overall we played very well (missed FT and turnovers) but unfortunately Dayton also played very well. Had to know we wouldn't be so lucky to play the Dayton team that lost to Umass just like we won't play the VCU team that lost to Fordham.

While this may have been the nail in coffin of an at large bid(let's just win next few game til VCU and see what bubble picture looks like) it is the games vs PC, Houston, valpo, lasalle, and Richmond that really have put us in this situation. If we had won just 2 of those 5 games we should have won....ughh coulda shoulda woulda , sums up the last 18 years
0 x
Clapton is God
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

As much as we dont execute in that last minute on offense, we always seem to give up the go ahead basket at the end.

That was an upsetting ending.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No question the better team won. No question which team had the higher basketball IQ. They never drove into a clogged lane as just one example. No question which team had more athleticism as seen in their ability to create open lanes and their many smooth looking, acrobatic lay-ups . No question which team understood positioning as shown that a not tall team out-rebounded the Rams. Some opinion on his board claimed Dayton was not a deep team and they should tire late in game, yet their bench outscored the Rams, 24-3! At one point late in game we had a lineup that included three players who had ZERO points. We posed no scoring threat at that time. Cyril Langevine missed a lay-up all alone under the basket and it was not even close! If he is the future with Hass gone, we are in trouble next year.

Also, I hope EC bones up on his European geography and foreign language skills because that is his future.
5 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just think for a second--if EC makes a couple more free throws the tone of this thread would be totally different. It is hard to believe but true--Hass' free throw percentage this year is better than EC's.
Where was Stan last night? Talk about a disappointment...........
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:GBG, it never ends......we have guys in that situation that take the ball, put their head down, and drive into traffic....

Never make a pass....guys open waiting for one that never comes....it's been that way for 5 years....

If DH draws up a play that involves passing they never run it properly....

But does he draw up it? Or is it duck and chuck?

We needed Dowtin to bring the ball up...I'll bet we would have gotten a good look. Of course we would have clanked it.......

Other than him, we have a bunch of ironheads out there. Or if that's what Dan "draws up" then the coach is an ironhead.
Like I said last night, that was a really nice inbounds play. EC wasn't the first option but ended up wide open. The full court play? So gross. I don't mind trying to draw contact but he had literally zero choice when he crossed mid court. The distinction between what Dayton did and what we did is a microcosm of five years of end games. Just go to the video and watch the spacing and the four guys watching JT.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Is that statistic in Koch's article real? Last night was the 50th single point loss for Dan Hurley at URI?

He makes being a URI fan a tough gig if that is the case.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

OK, someone compared the 1988 Temple team to Dayton, this season?
Really?
When we played Temple in the game where Garrick got two quick fouls,
they were NUMBER ONE IN THE NATION!
Is Dayton even ranked?
Big difference losing to a truly elite team, as the '88 Owls were,
and an unranked Dayton team.
Our '88 team won on the road, thus they were called
"The Rhode Warriors".
They won big games, and were a basket from the Elite 8.
They were a joy to watch.
Guys like Silk, Garrick, Kenny Green, Bonzie Colson and John Evans.
They'd have destroyed this team, and the Dayton team we lost twice to.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Dayton has a nice program, but to compare them to Chaney's Temple programs is foolish, not even in the same ball park. Or to Calipari's teams in his short run at UMass or even many Xavier teams. Those teams were national powerhouse type programs that had final 4 potential. There have been many great teams in the A 10 over the years. St Joes with West and Nelson was another one. While this is a decent Dayton team, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath with Chaney's Temple teams.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

How about we just don't leave the fucking guy in the corner wide open every time they drive to the hoop?

Our guys talked a lot of shit during that game. Lots of chest bumping. You would think someone on this team has accomplished something.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:No question the better team won. No question which team had the higher basketball IQ. They never drove into a clogged lane as just one example. No question which team had more athleticism as seen in their ability to create open lanes and their many smooth looking, acrobatic lay-ups . No question which team understood positioning as shown that a not tall team out-rebounded the Rams. Some opinion on his board claimed Dayton was not a deep team and they should tire late in game, yet their bench outscored the Rams, 24-3! At one point late in game we had a lineup that included three players who had ZERO points. We posed no scoring threat at that time. Cyril Langevine missed a lay-up all alone under the basket and it was not even close! If he is the future with Hass gone, we are in trouble next year.

Also, I hope EC bones up on his European geography and foreign language skills because that is his future.
I'm confused about how the game came down to one play and why so many feel it was a game we should have won (I feel that way) if Dayton is clearly better than URI in so many ways? If I didn't know the score and just read your analysis, I'd assume we lost by 30.

The thing that is frustrating is that Dayton actually isn't much better than URI, if at all. But they do have a winning culture and they consistently make the plays when the chips are down, and URI consistently doesn't. To make it about more than that just obscures the real problem, which is a lack killer instinct and the lack of a winning culture and mentality that results. When it comes to actually playing the game of basketball, Dayton may do a few things better than URI, but for every one of those URI does something better than Dayton - the teams are dead even for all intents and purposes with the only real differentiator being that Dayton wills themselves to win at the end and URI folds like a cheap suit.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....TP, fair enough; but to which I would say those things Dayton demonstrates and we do not does make Dayton a significantly better team than URI....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Is that statistic in Koch's article real? Last night was the 50th single point loss for Dan Hurley at URI?

He makes being a URI fan a tough gig if that is the case.
Here is the whole quote "It was the 50th single-digit defeat of the 72 suffered by Hurley during his five seasons in Kingston, and URI fell to 12-19 in home games decided by nine points or less."

These stats belong in the Baron 2.0 thread as more evidence that he is in over his head.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... s-over-top
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I'm not going to blame this team for 17 years of misfortune. Looking solely at yesterday, I saw two evenly matched teams. One is a projected 8/9 seed. One is a projected NIT team. Shows you the importance of late game situations and paying attention to detail.

Versus PC, we were down 1 with 26 seconds left. Instead of fouling them immediately, we tried to get a steal and it led to 13 seconds wasted and a dunk. Dayton, same situation against us. Fouled immediately. Made us take the pressure free throws. We know the result.

In regards to the two late 3s, Hurley said they were in no help defense. Players can't make that mental mistake of helping on 2 possessions in a row. On the coaching end, we ended the game with 8 team fouls. Failed to take advantage of that and make Dayton shoot the pressure 1 and 1. To me, there's a lot less pressure firing up a 3 in the middle of game action than shooting a 1 and 1 down 2 or down 4. And that's not even factoring in the math that 3 points is an emotional dagger where 2 points you still have an emotional advantage.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I was at mid court for that game in 88. That was the biggest game around here ever.....tix were impossible to get.

9-0 before we had our Reeboks tied.

That 88 Temple team was so explosive. That was big boy basketball that season - URI and Temple were both legit national title candidates.....

I recall WVU was pretty strong too.....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We beat West Virginia THREE times that season.
Penders was so confident of his team on the road, that
he moved our home game with WVA to MSG, where
we blew them out.
Imagine that happening today?
Tom Penders had what they call today, "Swagger".
His "Us against the world", chip on his shoulder,
was bought into by the team and us fans.
When Garrick failed to make the All A-10 team, Penders
was not quiet, and it gave TG the impetus to torch
Rutgers for 50 points in the A-10 tournament.
That man could coach!
Four schools to the NCAAs.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:Just think for a second--if EC makes a couple more free throws the tone of this thread would be totally different. It is hard to believe but true--Hass' free throw percentage this year is better than EC's.
Where was Stan last night? Talk about a disappointment...........
Stan actually played 19 minutes last night but led the team with 3 assists. Terrell and Dowtin had 2 assists each. We did not pass the ball as well as we have been passing.

Dowtin played the fewest minutes ever since he got the starting line up job. He only played 23 minutes. 2-4 FG, 1-1 FT, 3 rebounds, 1 TO, 2 big blocked shots with one being a great come from behind highlight reel block on Scoochie Smith. He was 2nd only to Martin in Blocks who finished with 3. Dowtin picked up 2 fouls in the 1st half then one early in the 2nd half finishing with 3 fouls and sat a lot.

8 games he has started:
UMASS 32 - 2 fouls
Duquesne 32 - 2 fouls
Richmond 28 - 4 fouls
St Bonaventure 27 - 4 fouls
George Washington - 37 - 0 fouls
Davidson 36 - 3 fouls
UMASS 32 - 1 foul
Dayton - 23 - 3 fouls

I think we need Dowtin on the floor as many minutes as possible for defense and for moving the ball. Sometimes I think Dan over manages the foul situations. If the player fouls out he fouls out. Hate to see Dowtin limited to 23 minutes then end up with only 3 fouls anyway.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:I'll tell you what p*sses me off now that I watched the end again. Compare what Dayton ran from 16.6 seconds left to what we did with 7.2. Look at every Rhody player after JT gets it. DH took a TO to draw that up? Dribble as fast as you can into a double team! Dayton runs it to one side, screens the ball, and reverses back into plenty of space. Honestly, someone tell me what he possibly told them to do with 7 seconds left. Plenty of time for even a pass or two.
End of both halves really.

Pollard hit the 3 with 23 seconds left in the 1st half, plenty of time. We had an 11 point lead with 3:32 to go in the half :(
1st half
The EC at half-court letting the clock run down - 1st problem - NO
Even with 2 fouls, Dowtin needs to be the guy with the ball at half court with 23 seconds to go, not EC, not JT
Dowtin can take the ball inside and then dish out for a 3 just like Dayton does.
EC dribbling, or anyone dribbling, and letting the clock go down to 7 seconds before making a move to get a shot off rarely works
So he waits the clock down, dribbles the clock down then has to rush off a very low percentage shot. Just the way Dayton wants it.

2nd half
8 seconds to go JT takes it himself and drives straight into the last guy on the floor you would want to drive straight into - Pollard.
JT actually traveled and the ball actually went off his leg. Should a foul have been called? Maybe. But it's very difficult to drive inside vs Dayton and expect to score with 7 seconds to go

Whether EC or JT made these decisions on their own and went rogue, who knows. Either way these were not good ways to end either half.

On the 1.8 seconds to go, Dowtin is the best passer and with good height and with possibly the highest IG and poise on the floor (crazy to be saying that about a freshman on a team stocked with veterans - part of the problem eh?). Nobody could get open, credit Dayton, but at least Dowtin had the presence of mind to throw the ball and not get called for 5 seconds - it was very close to 5 seconds.
Maybe at that point just throwing it up for grabs in front of the hoop for Martin or Iverson or both would have been a better option with the clock 5 second clock about up, especially if he used his no-look pass ability and Martin / Iverson knew a no-look was possible.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Watched the game again on ESPNU, and Dowtin had more than one turnover.
He flung one way over EC's head going to the basket in the second half.
Scorer must've been asleep.
44% free throw % for a PG is unacceptable, especially in late game
situations. 'He's the guy to foul, which is why he throws the ball in.
Ramster seem to think Dowtin is the answer to all problems.
He's not.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Watched the game again on ESPNU, and Dowtin had more than one turnover.
He's not.
Just don't see EC taking the ball with 23 seconds to go to end the first half, I'd prefer the ball in Dowtin's hands.

I don't see Dowtin as the guy to answer all problems, but I don't see anyone better either.
You said often (before he got more playing time) saying that Dowtin was not a good passer. He has to have surprised you with his poise, passing and ball handling, no?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think Dowtin will make a nice SG,but EC will always be deferred to
as long as he's here.
Dowtin's been a positive since starting, for sure.
Larry Bird was a great passer, and averaged 6.3 assists per game for his career,
with a better than 2-1 assist to turnover ratio.
That didn't make him a PG, did it?
If I want the ball in anyone's hand, it's Jared Terrell's.
Even though he was stopped at the end, more often than not,
his aggressiveness gets him to the hoop, and he either makes
it or gets fouled.
EC's bad handle and zero for his career in that spot, makes
him the last guy who should take the last shot.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Terrell is as good a dribble drive ISO guy as there is in the A10. Kinda surprised he couldn't at least get some iron on that final play. I really thought this team had turned a page....we again scored regularly off nice half court sets and then went ISO /clearout with Terrell to mix it up effectively.

I guess credit to Dayton D for not allowing JT to get to the rack but damn why can't this club finish? There strong all night!! Frustrating!!!!

We're on life support but not completely dead yet....

Perhaps this is the final insult that gets this crew to start crushing teams.....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As the first half was winding down and URI enjoyed its largest lead at 11, I wondered if URI could reach halftime with a double digit lead given that past performance has shown that URI plays poorly in the last minutes of the first half. So what happened was typical, the eleven point lead evaporated to six on two Dayton threes and for the last play an EC airball on a three point attempt. Dayton was overall 8-18 on threes, but overall doesn't tell the entire story because when it came to pressure time at end of first half and more so at game's end, Dayton went 4 for 4 on threes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Watched the game again on ESPNU, and Dowtin had more than one turnover.
He's not.
Just don't see EC taking the ball with 23 seconds to go to end the first half, I'd prefer the ball in Dowtin's hands.

I don't see Dowtin as the guy to answer all problems, but I don't see anyone better either.
You said often (before he got more playing time) saying that Dowtin was not a good passer. He has to have surprised you with his poise, passing and ball handling, no?
As for Dowtin's 44% FT shooting I would not worry about that. Just like people thought he couldn't pass, was slow, was timid, a defensive liability, etc early in the season he has hopefully erased some of those concerns people had at the time. He is just a freshman after all.

His Senior Year in HS, Playing in the pressure of the Top HS League in the US, Jeff hit 80-102 FTs for 78.4% over a 34 game schedule. My guess is that next year he will become the Player that we want to have get fouled instead of hoping he doesn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/allmetsp ... fafb96702e
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dowtin has the potential to be a great SG. I think he will lead the team in scoring by his junior year. I like him off the ball a lot more than running the point. Russell looks like the PG of the future.

Agree with Rod that I want JT with the ball in his hands and as far away from EC's as possible. It drives me nuts how much Hurley gives the ball to EC in the biggest moments. I know they are close but how many times does he have to fail before Hurley starts giving other people that last shot.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dowtin came in as a combo guard. Whether he plays SG or PG you could argue either or. Many did not think he could handle PG at all earlier this year but he has not struggled with bringing the ball up the court at all. He's pass first dribble second.
In 8 games, going with a record of 6-2, he has 27 assists and 7 turnovers. Twice A10 freshman of the week playing PG. I don't see JT as PG over Dowtin. If JT is the choice at PG then DH can do that now and move JD to the wing. I wouldn't but that's just me.

If you want the ball in JTs hands at the end of the game to go one on one I won't argue that choice but I'd put the ball in the PGs hands, just as Dayton does with Smith, to penetrate and look to find an open JT vs JT or EC or anyone else just putting ones head down and driving into Pollard and hoping for a hoop, foul or both.

Passing is usually much more effective that one on one especially in the last 15 seconds of a half or game imho.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Before our last trip down court I turned off the volume, turned to the group watching it who don't watch a lot of games, and said "whatch what kind of shot we get here. We never even hit the rim most of the time on last possessions to tie ever"

And sure enough two chances. Not one shot. The curse is real.

Definitely wasn't a foul. I'm glad it did go to jt

They Need some Dustin hellengas, Dawan robinsons, mobleys, and wheelers

I'm all for supporting the team but close game plays tell a lot and this team doesn't have it.
Last edited by 15 Year Lurker 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Most last second wins are the result of one on one plays.
Pollard is like running into a wall, as Dowtin found out
getting crushed on a Pollard pick.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Dowtin has played very well overall and we are fortunate he has with Jarvis being out an extended period of time. But he is still a Frosh and not what a healthy Jarvis would bring. Jarvis didn't look like himself most of the season and I suspect his illness was slowly progressing until it came to a head and couldn't be ignored any longer.

As for Jeff's FT's, I suspect he caught what everyone else has...only worse. They do not play lose and confident and that must translate to the line.
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I still feel nauseous. This felt like the worse close loss I have experienced in the last 5 years as a URI fan. It's just unreal how these games go down.

I still don't understand why when we were up 1 point and Dowtin was inbounding the ball with 18 seconds left, the play was to get the ball to EC. We knew they were going to foul us immediately and EC had just missed 2 of three from the line. I would have definitely gotten the ball to Jared or surprisingly to say Kuran. Kuran if you remember had just gone 2 for 2 at the line less than a minute ago and he was having a career game and was clearly confident down the stretch. I just knew when EC was fouled that we were going to lose the game. Yes nobody on our team and I stress nobody is consistently good at the line but I definitely feel Jared or Karan were the better choice to make the FT's. Anybody feel the same way???
1 x