Game 24: Dayton Friday Feb 10, 7:00PM ESPN2 Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 24: Dayton Friday Feb 10, 7:00PM ESPN2 Ryan Center

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

That hurt. We played a decent game, and I never complain about this, but that was a foul at the end that would have won us the game. refs know they blew it so they made sure we got the ball in bounds. He got MAULED driving to the hoop, even the ESPN announcer was shocked no foul was called. WOW we can't catch a break, we had this game.
1 x
hellengastrailblazer
Jim Eitner

Unread post by hellengastrailblazer »

PeteRI wrote:Hurley is the anti-Belichik. And for f**ks sake, what will it take to get these guys to sink some goddamn free throws?! :evil:
He's a poor man's Jim Baron
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe we have exhausted all possible heartbroken losses.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

PeteRI wrote:Hurley is the anti-Belichik. And for f**ks sake, what will it take to get these guys to sink some goddamn free throws?! :evil:
This team as zero situational basketball skills. We are like 2-13 with the last possession. Against LSU and fuckin' Fordham which we shouldn't be proud of.
2 x
'No Mercy.'
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

15-3 is dead

Have to win A10 tourney unless Flyers fade and we blow out VCU and Davidson along with winning out.

Unlikely scenario.

On the losing end of another great game.

Sick of this same old song.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

at large is done.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:That hurt. We played a decent game, and I never complain about this, but that was a foul at the end that would have won us the game. refs know they blew it so they made sure we got the ball in bounds. He got MAULED driving to the hoop, even the ESPN announcer was shocked no foul was called. WOW we can't catch a break, we had this game.
No way, that was a clean tackle.
4 x
hellengastrailblazer
Jim Eitner

"maybe the hype is real" - Hurley immediately following the Cincy win
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

This team lacks mental toughness, this is what separates teams on the winning end of these types of games. Did Dayton panic at any point in this game? They execute and make the plays/shots when it counts, we on the other hand wilt under the pressure. How many times did we have the chance to hit free throws to at least make it a 3 point lead and we were unable to. Its obvious the 3's Dayton threw up were going in, thats how it happens against us. To me, our at large chances ended after the Houston game, knowing we needed to wins our non conf games with the A10 being down. Feel bad for the players, but never a doubt those 3's were going in, wash, rinse, repeat.
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Only saw last four minutes or so. Definitely contact on Terrell but he wasn't really making a move more of a bull doze. I think it's closer to a 50/50. However, DH actually drew up a really nice inbounds play. Tough to figure out why the pass was so bad. Who knows if he makes it but it would have been a clean look. All you can ask for. Need to watch the game in full but that's not very appealing right now.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

LOL DeanDome88 actually got a laugh outta me after a crushing loss...god job
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

That would have drawn a flag in football. Unbelievable.
I know one thing, that corner shot has killed us in big games. Same corner different jerseys making it.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Quit it with blaming the refs. This wasn't their fault. How about players making free throws?

The collective basketball IQ on this team is not high. And they don't play together it's a bunch of one on one isolation nonsense.
2 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Remember Sunday night when the pats were down three scores and how nobody felt that the game was over because of the team and mentality it has?

I get the exact opposite feeling anytime I'm watching this URI team play and it's close going into the last TV timeout.

Can't wait to watch them roll over the next three teams, only to read all the hype about the huge home game against VCU, and then watch them piss that game away as well.

Go Rhody
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm just really sad...
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm officially OKing the meltdown
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I officially hate Dayton
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yep, we miss the FTs, and they make the 3's...every time.....and then we don't get a call AT HOME on an obvious foul.

And it's a guy who made the 3's who's normally not a 3 pt. shooter. If he only makes one, we win.....and on and on it goes.

We're going to the NIT folks...that's where we belong.....teams like Dayton go to the dance.....and like I said, we're a point or 2 away from them and others every time....but it seems like a lot more.

This one isn't on Dan.....he can't make the FT's and defend when it counts.
5 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Some of you guys sound like Tommy Heinsohn.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

scine20 wrote:Quit it with blaming the refs. This wasn't their fault. How about players making free throws?

The collective basketball IQ on this team is not high. And they don't play together it's a bunch of one on one isolation nonsense.

I was waiting for this from some of you. Blaming refs for loses is not usually cool, it tends to even out etc etc etc.

BUT not calling a foul on a drive with one fkin' second left, when as the announcer said the fouls were called on the exact plays earlier in the game, is worth complaining about in my opinion. Terrell specifically drove to create contact, DID that, and because of a bad call it backfired.
3 x
hellengastrailblazer
Jim Eitner

PeterRamTime wrote:I officially hate Dayton
Dayton is what URI should aspire to be.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Yep, we miss the FTs, and they make the 3's...every time.....and then we don't get a call AT HOME on an obvious foul.

And it's a guy who made the 3's who's normally not a 3 pt. shooter. If he only makes one, we win.....and on and on it goes.

We're going to the NIT folks...that's where we belong.....teams like Dayton go to the dance.....and like I said, we're a point or 2 away from them and others every time....but it seems like a lot more.

This one isn't on Dan.....he can't make the FT's and defend when it counts.
Based on the video feed Dan actually looked composed and fairly confident on the sideline tonight.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:
scine20 wrote:Quit it with blaming the refs. This wasn't their fault. How about players making free throws?

I was waiting for this from some of you. Blaming refs for loses is not usually cool, it tends to even out etc etc etc.

BUT not calling a foul on a drive with one fkin' second left, when as the announcer said the fouls were called on the exact plays earlier in the game, is worth complaining about in my opinion. Terrell specifically drove to create contact, DID that, and because of a bad call it backfired.
I guarantee you URI got some beneficial calls too. In fact how many fouls did they call on Dayton in the second half?

EC Matthews made 2 of his final 5 free throws. URI failed to defend against the 3. URI as usual made the type of dumb mistakes that we shouldn't be seeing of a team led by all juniors and seniors. Offensive goaltending, not boxing out, throwing ridiculous passes down low that look like Jay Cutler throwing into triple coverage. Most of these guys play like a bunch of freshmen on the street in a pickup game, not a bunch of juniors and seniors on a team that is supposed to be NCAA Tournament worthy. That may sound harsh but that's what tonight was all about.
Last edited by scine20 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Based on the video feed Dan actually looked composed and fairly confident on the sideline tonight.[/quote]

That's nice. He still lost a game a good coach would have won.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

scine20 wrote:
RhodeIslandRams wrote:

I guarantee you URI got some beneficial calls too. In fact how many fouls did they call on Dayton in the second half?

EC Matthews made 2 of his final 5 free throws. URI failed to defend against the 3. URI as usual made the type of dumb mistakes that we shouldn't be seeing of a team led by all juniors and seniors. Offensive goaltending, not boxing out, throwing ridiculous passes down low that look like Jay Cutler throwing into triple coverage. Most of these guys play like a bunch of freshmen on the street in a pickup game, not a bunch of juniors and seniors on a team that is supposed to be NCAA Tournament worthy. That may sound harsh but that's what tonight was all about.
URI made dumb mistakes? a Dayton player fouled EC taking a deep three.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

i just want to throw up
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

scine20 wrote:
RhodeIslandRams wrote:

I get that Scine. But the bottom line is this. It's the final play OF THE GAME. If that call hasn't been made 90% of the time in college basketball, the team would have drawn up a DIFFERENT PLAY.

That's why it matters.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

DeanDome88 wrote:
scine20 wrote:
RhodeIslandRams wrote:

Yes and as usual URI couldn't capitalize.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

throwing ridiculous passes down low that look like Jay Cutler throwing into triple coverage.

Slow, deliberate hand clap. A perfect analogy my good man!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Shinze88 wrote:This team lacks mental toughness, this is what separates teams on the winning end of these types of games. Did Dayton panic at any point in this game? They execute and make the plays/shots when it counts, we on the other hand wilt under the pressure. How many times did we have the chance to hit free throws to at least make it a 3 point lead and we were unable to. Its obvious the 3's Dayton threw up were going in, thats how it happens against us. To me, our at large chances ended after the Houston game, knowing we needed to wins our non conf games with the A10 being down. Feel bad for the players, but never a doubt those 3's were going in, wash, rinse, repeat.
How many times did we have the chance to make free throws to make it a three point lead at the end? Twice. Iverson got it up to four the first time, EC didn't convert the second time
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeteRI wrote:Based on the video feed Dan actually looked composed and fairly confident on the sideline tonight.
That's nice. He still lost a game a good coach would have won.[/quote]

How did Dan lose this game tonight?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Of course the refs aren't the reason we blow games at the end. To me it's BB IQ and poise/confidence. I think Dowtin has that.

All I'm saying is to not get that call in a big game with a second left is still lame. despite all the flaws our team allegedly has.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't even know what the FT % was...but it cost them the game...plain and simple. Sad....just freekn sad....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey we have another chance in the A10T to blow it......although I think we're going to lose to either GM or LaSalle before that...and of course VCU.

But that doesn't matter anymore, really.

I actually thought we were going to finally change the narrative tonight. I don't know if we ever will with this current cast of players unfortunately.

Dan needs to recruit higher IQ players.....Dowtin is one...we need more. Maybe Fatts will help, if we have any semblance of a frontcourt.

scine20, all of that is true...and we lost by 1 point. But you're right, we play dumb, especially in crunch time.

Still, EC goes 2 for 5....URI teams have blown many big games over the years by poor FT shooting in the clutch...and you just knew it was going to get us at some point and of course it was in a huge game.

And NCAAT teams make their shots in the clutch.....open or not. That's why teams like Dayton and VCU consistently go dancing, and we don't.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

scine20 wrote:
DeanDome88 wrote:
scine20 wrote: I guarantee you URI got some beneficial calls too. In fact how many fouls did they call on Dayton in the second half?

Yes and as usual URI couldn't capitalize.
Well, you got me there.

I just try to remember these guys are student athletes and while some of us have watched literally thousands of games most of these guys have played in less than a hundred.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The sad part about our basketball IQ is the fact that we make tons of dumb mistakes and barely lose to the best team in the league.
Where if we weren't so damn dumb we'd have beat the shit out of them.
Maybe the Next generation with Dowtin and Fatts we will play smart on offense.
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

One thing we all can agree on? It SUCKED to lose another big game we had right in our hands.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I don't even know what the FT % was...but it cost them the game...plain and simple. Sad....just freekn sad....
21 for 32. 66% when you grade it on the curve. High school JV teams shoot better. That's on Hurley.
0 x
hellengastrailblazer
Jim Eitner

rambone 78 wrote: Dan needs to recruit higher IQ players.....
Let's recruit a higher IQ coach...
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Dayton is the exact opposite of URI. They are no better as far as talent, but so composed, make plays and win. They must have a smirk on their faces in a close game with us. Can't imagine the confidence they must have when they get it close. Hopefully our guys are all 4.0's in the class room, because on the court, not only do they look like a bunch of freshman or deer with headlights in their eyes, they are intellectually inferior on the court. We laud Jeff Dowtin because his court presence sticks out so much, because of everyone of his teammates. Its hard to believe that coming into a game anyone can still have some blind optimism after what the team has been through. Teams make plays against us at an alarming rate, but we "don't make plays througout the game" at an alarming rate.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

In addition to next year's recruiting class, how do the coaching prospects look? :P
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

PeteRI wrote:In addition to next year's recruiting class, how do the coaching prospects look? :P
I know there's a guy who's been around but is currently retired with a mustache that's available.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

RhodeIslandRams wrote:One thing we all can agree on? It SUCKED to lose another big game we had right in our hands.
I agree, we are so close to being a good team.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately Dan will lose his job here at some point because it's on him when we lose.......if he doesn't have smart players, which he doesn't for the most part, that's his responsibility.....sad but that's the deal he signed up for.

We know about close before with the previous coach...and the end result is this is just a continuation of that.

As for FT's, we don't have guys like Ju'quan Lewis who's clutch from the foul line...no one on our team can be counted on to make the big shots.

Just about all of them have taken turns choking from the line.......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

scine20 wrote:
PeteRI wrote:In addition to next year's recruiting class, how do the coaching prospects look? :P
I know there's a guy who's been around but is currently retired with a mustache that's available.
Ron Burgundy's available? Scotchy scotch scotch!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I am depressed
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

All season we have been saying FTs would cost us a game...here it is.

We really do need a better sports psychologist.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

So disheartening..

This hurts

It ever gets easier
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens