Game 23: @ UMASS Tuesday Feb 7, 7:00PM CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 23: @ UMASS Tuesday Feb 7, 7:00PM CBSSN

Unread post by TruePoint »

Maybe it was not the prettiest game, but you won on the road against a rival, led wire to wire, swept UMass for the first time in many years, got solid games from role players on a night when your main guys were a little off. All in all, I'll live with it.

On to Dayton.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Haven't won in Amherst since 2009... who cares how we won.

Bring on Dayton!!
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

TP-our main guys were a little off? I thought they were off a lot but thank God for our bench. On Friday we don't have to worry about the odds of EC, Hass and KI playing 2 good games in a row. All three are due for great games and we will need it from all 3 of them.
Let's start with everyone hustling back on defense and playing smart. When someone makes a good play can the other guys on the floor get a little excited? That should help the psyche of the guys on the floor and also get the crowd into the game.
If the NCAA had a stat for how a team plays smart we would be in the 300s for sure. Cannot play like that on Friday.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

TruePoint wrote:Maybe it was not the prettiest game, but you won on the road against a rival, led wire to wire, swept UMass for the first time in many years, got solid games from role players on a night when your main guys were a little off. All in all, I'll live with it.

On to Dayton.
totally agree, classic trap game and we didn't get trapped. Also I love sweeping UAss!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They had EC and Hass scouted well and schemed to contain them.
Other role guys stepped up - we have quality depth. Something Dan preached at beginning of year and many dispelled.
Besides the FT shooting you have to love what Dowtin is giving you, he may not be a PG but he is a basketball player.
He makes smart plays and has great basketball instincts. Pulling the ball out at right time, attacking at the right time, finding the open man.

Huge game Friday, can we get a sellout? Besides PC what is the last true sellout in the RC....Pittsburgh?
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well, don't look now but that roll I hoped might come after the Richmond loss
and the reduced pressure from expectations may have started quietly. Let's
hope it continues. To quote "The Shawshank Redemption character, "Hope is
a good thing."
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok it wasn't pretty but we will take the much needed win

Boy these refs were god awful both ways hard to watch them miss so many calls terrible

I am fired up for Friday we need to play our best game there
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Defensive statistics are so important to this team, especially when the offense has an average or so night. We had 8 blocked shots to their 3 blocks plus we had 12 steals to their 6 steals. The defensive efforts seem to be gaining in consistency

Who would have predicted our leading rebounders of the night would be EC Mathews and Nikola Akele - both with 6?

Jeff Dowtin had a career high and a game high 5 assists. Also a nice line of 3-6 FG, 3 rebounds, tied a game high 3 steals with Akele and had Zero Turnovers. Tied with Terrell for minutes played with 32. The freshman has been a steadying factor for this team and brings a confidence and leadership to the floor.

9 Players scored for URI with everyone scoring at least 3 points. Nice balance.

We have now won 6 of our last 7 games - a nice run. Now to continue our success Friday night.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:

Huge game Friday, can we get a sellout? Besides PC what is the last true sellout in the RC....Pittsburgh?

URI has sold out several opponents other than PC, some (such as UMass and Dayton) multiple times. The last sellout was in 2015-16 and was PC. The season before that had Nebraska.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jeff Dowtin is becoming a joy to watch. He does so many things well. He's also becoming a leader. His defense is also being overlooked. Jarreau had zero field goals last night. I saw a couple of times when he took charge as the team was huddling at the foul line, not an easy thing to do when you're playing with a lot of juniors and seniors. He's just going to have to spend the summer at the free throw line.
Last edited by Billyboy78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Good point, last night was the second time Dowtin outperformed the highly rated Jarreau.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

After he outperformed Gibbs as well.

Also, for people saying he's not a "point guard", looks at his passes from last night / his assist to turnover ratio.

He's a point guard.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Since he's been starting, he has 6 turnovers in 7 games.....pretty impressive. I still love Jarvis. Can't wait to see them play together.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Since he's been starting, he has 6 turnovers in 7 games.....pretty impressive. I still love Jarvis. Can't wait to see them play together.
Right, let's not underestimate how nice it could be to have two guys on the court together with that kind of ability to pass the ball and create for their teammates.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I really hope Jarvis comes back and comes back strong. He can take us to the next level. Dowtin has been very efficient and methodical, but Jarvis, with his speed and scoring ability can really make us explosive offensively.
Although it does not feel likely that Jarvis, when he's back, will be able to hit on all cylinders for the rest of the season.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Remember when Dowtin had that 'deer-in-the-headlights' look when he first got game minutes? Boy he sure got over THAT quickly didn't he?

No disrespect to ANY Ram, but this is what people mean when they talk about basketball IQ.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Dowtin is frea5ken awesome.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

IMG-20170207-01205.jpg
Hurls and our biggest media fan at the half last night...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....where is Blueman.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody Dude
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody Dude »

PeterRamTime wrote:I really hope Jarvis comes back and comes back strong. He can take us to the next level. Dowtin has been very efficient and methodical, but Jarvis, with his speed and scoring ability can really make us explosive offensively.
Although it does not feel likely that Jarvis, when he's back, will be able to hit on all cylinders for the rest of the season.
Won't be coming off an injury though, shake off the rust from sitting for so long and he'll be good to go I think
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:IMG-20170207-01205.jpgHurls and our biggest media fan at the half last night...

Well, SECOND biggest media fan....;) I'm the guy who carried the Rams on my ARIZONA radio station lol
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodeIslandRams wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:IMG-20170207-01205.jpgHurls and our biggest media fan at the half last night...

Well, SECOND biggest media fan....;) I'm the guy who carried the Rams on my ARIZONA radio station lol
ok, can't argue with that!
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RhodeIslandRams wrote:

ok, can't argue with that!

It was funny 208! People there were wondering WHY Rhody in U of Arizona land? But I did it for two reasons.

1. Because I could. And I went to URI.

2. To be the first (I think) radio station to be the affiliate for two Division one basketball teams coached by brothers! (we carried Arizona State at the same time)

Fun.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That's awesome - Reason 1 is all you need!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Akele definitely played the best game of his career and we needed it
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I had my doubts with Akele, need to give him credit with his rebounding and defense the other night, more aggressive in offensive too, when's he's confident he's a player.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I think someone else had this thought, although I had been critical of lack of expected depth, maybe the depth is starting to emerge in a different way than I thought....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

section(105) wrote:......I think someone else had this thought, although I had been critical of lack of expected depth, maybe the depth is starting to emerge in a different way than I thought....
The difference is the starting five. The depth is emerging because they don't have to help as much now that the starters are clicking again. Although the bench is playing better as well.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think Akele goes between being an A10 level back-up to a non A10 level player. IDK about him. Would love to see him come up big instead of not coming up at all down the stretch but it has occurred to me several times that he just doesn't look like he belongs in a top 50/top 100 basketball game.

Be good for like BU or NorthEastern.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I think Akele goes between being an A10 level back-up to a non A10 level player. IDK about him. Would love to see him come up big instead of not coming up at all down the stretch but it has occurred to me several times that he just doesn't look like he belongs in a top 50/top 100 basketball game.

I hope he does. Right now, you'd have to think he's the starter at that position next year.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I think Akele goes between being an A10 level back-up to a non A10 level player. IDK about him. Would love to see him come up big instead of not coming up at all down the stretch but it has occurred to me several times that he just doesn't look like he belongs in a top 50/top 100 basketball game.

I hope he does. Right now, you'd have to think he's the starter at that position next year.
Yea seems to be a nice kid. We are always better off with guys already wearing the blue to get better.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The thing is we need Akele as KI isn't consistent as he gets into early foul trouble
0 x