Game 22: @ Davidson Friday Feb 3, 7:00pm ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 22: @ Davidson Friday Feb 3, 7:00pm ESPN2

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Because you feel our MVP true PG last yea,r deserves to sit
all next season.
Why? Because he's sick?
People sure have short memories on this board.
They forget this kid in the mask taking shots to the head
and gutting it out, game after game, and carrying the team
on both ends of the floor.
It's all about shiny new toys, right?

Yup you're right I said he should sit all next year.

Actually I said Dowtin should start and Garrett off the bench.

Garrett was great last year by default, with EC Hassan And Kuran being hurt throughout the year.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

a big sigh of relief on this game - I was very worried about this one
Nice to see us moving up in the standings - with a big road win in February

VCU 7-2
Dayton 7-2
Rhode Island 7-3
Richmond 7-3
St Bonaventure 6-3
La Salle 6-3
Davidson 5-5
George Mason 4-5
George Washington 4-5
Saint Joseph's 3-6
Fordham 3-6
Saint Louis 3-7
Massachusetts 2-8
Duquesne 2-8

League Games Saturday
Duquesne @ Dayton
GW @ Richmond
VCU @ St Bonaventure
Fordham @ St Joe
LaSalle @ George Mason
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we need to realize that JD is a freshman....not a junior or senior.....how many freshmen have we had especially at the guard position come up big like he did tonight? Not just scoring the ball, but playing great defense. Yes, JG and EC have done it at times....but JD is getting more and more consistent at it, which is something we're not used to.....

Aren't they supposed to develop gradually? ha ha....of course where would he be if he was still backing up JG?

Actually where would WE be if that happened?

Rod, I'm not knocking JG, he's the more natural PG of course...and he will make us even better when he returns to full strength.

Next season JG will play the point and Fatts will be backing him up...and JD will be playing the 2 more often than not.

Not a bad thing to have.

Oh, McKillop says Gibbs was sick...oh well too bad.....we catch a break, which we almost never get.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....Rod, all true, except we are thriving today with Jeff holding down the fort, while Jarvis situation is unknown.....we gotta go with what is working.....I don't think anyone here is dissing Jarvis contributions..... just getting us to dance.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

:) :D :) :D :) :D
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Really great to meet 208 and jr208!!!
Fun atmosphere down here
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Because you feel our MVP true PG last yea,r deserves to sit
all next season.
Why? Because he's sick?

Garrett was great last year by default, with EC Hassan And Kuran being hurt throughout the year.
I don't even know what "great by default" means, but it makes no sense. He was great. No need to qualify it. He hadn't had a great year this year up until he went out of the lineup, but you have to think a big part of that was due to whatever has knocked him out of the lineup.

It's ok to praise Dowtin without taking gratuitous shots at Garrett. Garrett is a potential all-conference caliber player when he is healthy. Let's just worry about the guys that are available, and when Garrett is one of them he and Jeff will both get their minutes and I think it is fairly likely Garrett will return to the starting lineup. Who knows if that will be this year.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Jarvis was great"out of default"????
That may be the most ridiculous thing I've
read on here in a long time.
So, his play was bogus? Because he stepped up
bigtime? With a broken jaw, wearing a mask and not being
able to properly breath. Default? Seriously?
Wow!
Rambone, you've knocked Garrett all year.
I can think of three PGs we've had who were
leading the team in scoring when their freshman year
was done.
5 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"Great by default" meaning with all our star players hurt, there weren't many players left to be good/great. Someone had to step up for us. If EC and Hassan were heathy, you think he would have the a similar year? No, not at all.

Regardless of last year, Dowtin has earned the right to start for the remainder of the season.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It really doesn't have to be one or the other. They are different players. What I do like about Dowtin is his length and his basketball IQ. He's a heady player and I can't say that about a lot of our guys. Time and score.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan will work Jarvis back in slowly imo.......whenever that is.

The chemistry right now is better....let's just roll with it.

It would be interesting to find out just how long ago JG started feeling bad.....at some point they'll tell us.

The one thing that no one has brought up tonight.....no Baron 2.0 posts.....

It really is true that when you win...the coach looks good......although I think Dan is starting to get it slowly but surely.

I checked the A10 board...twisted is on it a lot...one nitwit called Dan a "pageant mom".......they really can't stand him.....if we start to win more big games they will like him even less.....

Rod, again JG just didn't play well...now we know why.....so he gets a pass from me now.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kind of like this morning when some suggested that Robinson or Thompson should be starting against Davidson because Dowtin's defense would not be adequate or as good. I showed FG% data that PGs on the other teams the last 5 games had only shot 38% in the 5 games Dowtin has started. I also said that it is unnecessary to change Dowtin out of the starting line up having won 4 of 5 games with Dowtin starting.
Also said that you can play both Robinson and Dowtin in the line up at the same because they both make the team play well moving the ball and passing well.
Same can be said about Dowtin and Garrett - you don't have to pick one over the other. Let the best 5 players start and others play minutes based on their ability. Both could be in the starting line up next year. Who knows. Let the competition for starting roles begin next October.

No need at all to get into whether Dowtin or Garrett is better - it doesn't matter. Let's just be content that Dowtin has showed he can handle the PG spot - if not for him we would have Robinson at PG and then no real rack up.

Garrett was sick and no one really knows for how long, so judgements on his performance this season should be qualified because we don't know. But both can be in the starting line up next year, and for that matter even later this year, never know.
But let's enjoy the win, and enjoy this season, no need to worry about next year. This is what we live for - what's happening right now!
Enjoy! and pray that JG heals quickly and completely. He is a valuable member of this team!
5 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote:Dan will work Jarvis back in slowly imo.......whenever that is.
Agree. And with Dowtin playing well, he'll have the luxury to take his time knowing that the backup is playing pretty damn well right now.

Also, an argument about which of URI's two good guards is better is a nice place to be, I suppose.
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Sometimes we may need length on defense and that's when Garrett would sit. Other times we may need a healthy Garrett's ball control and shooting. Either way, I'm sure both Garrett and dowtin would sacrifice a few minutes In exchange for playing more games in March.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Katz was on my plane last night coming up from Charlotte to PVD, wish I could've bent his ear about URI hoops...I'm sure he would've loved that...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jeff is much better defensively imo than Jarvis.
Dan mentioned that Jarvis lost 15 lbs in three weeks. This comment was made when they first realized he was sick.
Based on that I am assuming he wasnt sick for Nov & Dec games. He did play poorly during that stretch.
Last year Jarvis had good stats on a team that couldn't win on the road and couldn't beat a good team.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Jarvis is an awesome player and carried an A10 team into a strong mid-tier A10 team. Thats HEAVY lifting. Throw in the mask. He's awesome. Not to mention the Keaney Blue threads he wore tonight.

Really a few bounces of the ball and last year Jarvis would have been arguably the best player playing on a top 3 A10 team. Thats a very good basketball player. I also thought JG was the first guy to try and take it to Cincinnati.

Jeff Dowtin is a delight. This isn't either or. DH plays 4 guards. Plenty of room out there. Going to need them both for where we want to go. Dowtin is the real deal though. Gibbs didn't seem sick at all. Watched plenty sick guys play. Gibbs seemed like he played his selfish style down the stretch against a team that matches up well against that.

You take one or the other if you want to be fighting for 3-5 spot in the A10. We need more than that.
8 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Dowtin's parents were at the game--how sweet is that?
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The best thing is that Dowtin doesn't even come close to looking like your prototypical point guard...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I hate to keep talking bad about Garrett, but our biggest win/comeback this year came without him.

He was GREAT last year on an average team, got sick this year, and Dowtin has taken control.

Let Jeff keep starting, bring Jarvis as first guy off the bench.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:Post Game show with Steve and Don

https://www.iheart.com/live/b101-wwbb-3 ... oplay=true
Here is the recording for anyone that missed it live:

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27651940/
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

How quick we forget that Garrett HANDLED Kris Dunn and Schoochie Smith both last year and gave us a chance to win in the last minute in both games.

Dowtin is great, Garrett is also great when healthy.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The two of them should be quite a combination next season.

If they make each other better along with their teammates, then we've got a bingo.....
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:

Poor kid must have gotten motion sickness from all that flopping. Either that or Dowtin shutting him down just made him sick. Maybe even a combo of the two.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

A pat on the back to URI for tonight's win. I turned on the game at start of 2nd half...watched team stand around...turn it over and miss jump shots...and watch Davidson run the court for dunks.

To see the team turn up the D...take and make good shots (EC took a bad one) and pull away ON THE ROAD...not what I expected. Job well done.

By the way, President Donald J. Trump has announced plans for building his security wall. "I am sending this URI basketball team to the US-Mexico border," Trump said. "They are tremendously bad at shooting free throws. With the bricks they are laying, that wall will be built in no time and at no cost to the taxpayers. It will be the best wall ever, believe me."

When asked if he still expected Mexico to ultimately pay for the wall, Trump stated "I never said Mexico will pay for the wall. The rigged media has it wrong."
2 x
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

What a great 2nd half comeback! Stunning for a typical URI team. While it's not easy to do, particularly because it is boney and tough, crow needs to be eaten by some folks on this board, myself included.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Kuran and Jeff are on opposite ends of the basketball IQ spectrum
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:A pat on the back to URI for tonight's win. I turned on the game at start of 2nd half...watched team stand around...turn it over and miss jump shots...and watch Davidson run the court for dunks.

To see the team turn up the D...take and make good shots (EC took a bad one) and pull away ON THE ROAD...not what I expected. Job well done.

By the way, President Donald J. Trump has announced plans for building his security wall. "I am sending this URI basketball team to the US-Mexico border," Trump said. "They are tremendously bad at shooting free throws. With the bricks they are laying, that wall will be built in no time and at no cost to the taxpayers. It will be the best wall ever, believe me."

When asked if he still expected Mexico to ultimately pay for the wall, Trump stated "I never said Mexico will pay for the wall. The rigged media has it wrong."

Why can't you just leave it as a pat on the back? All the red is negativity that is not even necessary to say. A few positive words but really, this is one of the top wins in the Hurley era and you have 90% negatively in your positive post. Carry on.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

WOW! Was hopping around in my plane seat on the way down to The Bowl all game. Very enjoyable game.
Think we ran a few play to get some fairly open squared up looks for EC. Comical thing is EC squared up in ding toed. AWESOME STUFF!
Nice job MEN and HURLEY!

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Joe wrote:Kuran and Jeff are on opposite ends of the basketball IQ spectrum
But did you know that Kuran now leads the entire Atlantic 10 in Rebounding so far with 10 games played?

Kuran had 13 rebounds tonight to lead both teams. Next closest were Magarity and Aldridge with 8 each
Kuran also had a block and a nice assist to Martin for an easy 2 points
He had 2 steals which was double the total of the entire Davidson team of 1 steal. URI had 7 total steals.
Kuran had only 1 Turnover and only 2 fouls allowing him to play 34 minutes
I'll take a Kuran performance like that every game
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah lay off Kuran, he has been our most consistent player in conference play.
He's been kicking ass.
Been earning some bball IQ points.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm not eating crow, this kind of game from this program is a recent development and exactly what we've been chomping at the bit for. Great game!! Way to turn the tides and finish one off on the road. To me a game like this is more important than the last second buzzer beater game. Even if it takes three quarters of a game, I like getting the feeling that at some point we established that we are a better team, then we salted it away, on the road, as the better team should. Very, very gratifying game, I believe DH has 'outcoached' his counterpart in back to back very important games. Fun stuff.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I second the notion people should lay off Kuran and also Jarvis, both have been key contributors in the past and both will be key contributors in the future
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great comeback road win !!

EC in the zone from 3 need him to stay hot and start making 3s

Agree with all here love Dowtins game really fun to watch on offense and defense, shot looks funny but he makes it , real good passer and can take it to the hole and finish with his left hand . Also he plays with a high hoop IQ, he definitely needs his minutes
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote:
all next season.
Why? Because he's sick?

Disagree. You don't have Garrett's stats last year by default, those were earned by great play with a depleted roster. I don't know when he started feeling ill, but if we see him close to full strength this year we're going to be pleased with the results.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The return game at the end of the season will be very interesting. Will Gibbs overcome his illness/bad night or has Hurley found a match up that gives us a better chance to beat a team that before tonight had been successful against us
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Davidson media perspective

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nice to meet/hang out with Rhodyrudder...great game, great trip...and we somehow end up on the team flight home....great finish!
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

A healthy Jarvis garret playing to his potential makes this team deeper and better period end. Need him back at full strength to get where we want to go. Pulling hard for him. He has earned our support.....
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

ATPTourFan wrote:

It appeared to me that Gibbs was throwing up on himself on the court.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, now you and your son are now required to go to all of our remaining road games.......
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

A lot has been said about Dan's stubbornness and lack of in game adjustments.
I do believe we have seen a change in his approach over the last month, and specifically 1 play stood out yesterday.
Gibbs went out with his 2nd foul, they put in their backup PG...we immediately went to a full court press and what do ya know, they threw the ball away and turned it over. Need to see more of those situational moves, step in the right direction.
4 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Big A, you're right, Doesn't seem like we are locked into some present lineup at a preset time. There is enough talent on this team to play with who fits that particular night. I think we are seeing Mr Hurley go from an average to an above coach before our eyes. With the talent URI has that means we could do some damage in THE DANCE!

GO HURLEY!

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

bigappleram wrote:A lot has been said about Dan's stubbornness and lack of in game adjustments.
I do believe we have seen a change in his approach over the last month, and specifically 1 play stood out yesterday.
Gibbs went out with his 2nd foul, they put in their backup PG...we immediately went to a full court press and what do ya know, they threw the ball away and turned it over. Need to see more of those situational moves, step in the right direction.

Totally agree. He is finally listening to us! :lol:
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For those so inclined, here is a great recipe for eating crow:

Crow Casserole

Ingredients
12 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (6 crows)
2 quart sauerkraut
6 slices of bacon
1/3 cup of chopped onions

Preparation
Brown the crow breasts in a skillet with butter or oil. When browned, place them in a casserole dish on 1/2 inch layer of sauerkraut. Lay a 1/2 strip of bacon on each 1/2 breast and sprinkle the onion on them. Next, add another layer of sauerkraut and some of the juice. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Makes 2 servings.
1 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

I love Kuran - he's been playing great and will be missed next year. But if he consistently played intelligent basketball, he'd be on NBA draft boards for sure
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Joe wrote:I love Kuran - he's been playing great and will be missed next year. But if he consistently played intelligent basketball, he'd be on NBA draft boards for sure
I'd have to agree, many thought he was an X factor type player for us this year given his skill set. And despite the occasional mind-numbing play he has been one of our more consistent players since A10 play, and is a big reason we are sitting at 7-3. Making better decisions with the ball, high-low action with Hassan has been great at times, not taking a defensive rebound and trying to channel his inner Allen Iverson going coast to coast, rebounding like a beast. It is time for our core 3 - EC, JT, Hass - to bring it for 40 minutes, every game, for the rest of the season.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

bigappleram wrote:A lot has been said about Dan's stubbornness and lack of in game adjustments.
Agree. Another quiet move I noticed is that when Martin needed a breather at the 6 minute mark, he put Akele in for a minute or two instead of Langevine. The way Davidson was cutting and moving, I thought that move made sense. Ended up not having a big impact but I'm glad it wasn't the automatic let's go to Langevine when Martin needs a break.
Last edited by URI2006_Andy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Davidson made us wear the white unis, so we played like it was a home game :lol:
2 x