Game 21: George Washington Tuesday Jan 31, 7pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Re: Game 21: George Washington Tuesday Jan 31, 7pm CBSSN

Unread post by ram1980 »

Thanks snow.. Took over an hour to get from Warwick to Cumberland so no trip to Kingston for first time in 3 yrs. Pissed. Entertaining game. Thanks coach Joseph. Right when he got tech said to my wife big mistake.. Big run from there fueled by Iverson's return to lineup
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The triumph of reverse-jinx/smack talk. I'll take it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like TP just said...what the fuck? We finished strong and closed out a game we looked like we were going to lose.....

This team needs a shrink...and I think I do too......what's up is down, what's down is up.

Bottle this sucka for the next few games....please just for once?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yay win!
GW definitely played better than usual.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Nice way to fight back. Also, a great night at the FT line. Good work guys!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:and EC just made a bunch of people in Vegas happy with that garbage time 3.
So, it wasn't a game winner, but it was a "points"winner.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....,nice win guys....made the free throws......just get Davidson and we are are our way.... to get them big boys on our home court....pass me the Kool-Aide....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Big, ultimately decisive, coaching decision by Hurley to gamble and keep playing Kuran with foul trouble at the end. That coaching decision was the difference in this game
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We picked up the intensity at the right time...and GW finally started to miss.....

Need more of that though for Friday.....

And RIFan...18 for 20 from the line.....we are the Jekyll and Hyde of college hoop......
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Big, ultimately decisive, coaching decision by Hurley to gamble and keep playing Kuran with foul trouble at the end. That coaching decision was the difference in this game

This.

I almost always feel guys are held out too long in the second half when they have three or even four fouls. Gamble.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Like TP just said...what the fuck? We finished strong and closed out a game we looked like we were going to lose.....

This team needs a shrink...and I think I do too......what's up is down, what's down is up.

Bottle this sucka for the next few games....please just for once?
What's most amazing, Rambone, is that we hit 18-20 free throws!! The drum that you frequently beat! Terrell went 9-9!

Fortunate to come away with the win tonight, but we'll take it.

@ Davidson Friday night will not be easy, but much better to go into it having won this one.

Reminded me tonight a lot of the William and Mary game where the lead got down to 4 points late in the game. Similar late come back tonight.

Nice game by Martin, 4 blocks from KI, solid game from Terrell and solid, steady game from Dowtin.
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

A solid win. GW played as good as you could expect them to on the road and it still wasn't enough. At this point, we can't really afford to lose another conference game at home, especially with Dayton and VCU looming. A very back and fourth game that was absolutely swung by GW's coach getting T'd up and Rhody getting a 5-point possession out of it.

Positives:
- Hassan Martin. When he's feeling it in the low-post like he was tonight you have to keep feeding him. And I'm happy to say that's exactly what Rhody did. One of his best game on the offensive end.
- Jeff Dowtin. IMO his best game. What is so encouraging about this kid is he seems to get better (and more importantly, more confident) every game. Having a PG that can hit spot up 15-footer is such a difference maker. 10 points, 4 assists, 1 turnover.
- JT. This is the Jared we all wanted to see. He kind of let the game come to him, didn't force the issue, made all 9 of his free throws. Only 1 turnover. Great energy.
- KI. For awhile it looked like a lost game for him wit early foul trouble. Then he comes off the bench and absolutely provides a spark on both ends in the 2nd half. You get what you get with Kuran, as he turned it over 3 times, but some HUGE blocks, boards and hustle plays down the court. He got in Sina's face too which I enjoyed. He can be that energy guy we need.
- The bench. The subs had a nice 4-minute stretch there in the 1st half that got Rhody back in the game. Akele had a nice game, CT made a big shot.
- We outrebounded a good rebounding team.

Neutral:
- EC. Hass and Jared had big games, so obviously that means EC wouldn't. Weird how that is always the case in some shape or form. Personally, I thought Hurley left him on the bench a bit too long but what the hell do I know? He made a massive 3 out of that timeout. Then made a 3 to help Rhody cover, haha.

Negatives:
- Team defense. This game didn't fail the "eye test" like the LaSalle game. I just think that GW was knocking down a lot of tough shots all night. But man, did it seem like they were getting a lot of easy, deep interior looks. Probably how they felt about Hassan. As usual, we failed to close out on some 3's as well.
- One personal complaint that others have pointed out as well...Is it possible for this team to ever push the ball ahead on a fast break? So many times I feel like there is a player open down the floor or on the wing on a break, but EC, Jared, Stan or even CT tonight keep their head down and try to draw contact instead. It's weird.

Overall, great win at home. This team really needed it to try and get something going. We all know the next two at Davidson and UMass are going to be a biz-natch. It would be so great so get on a roll going into the Dayton game. I told myself I wouldn't get my hopes up...
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That's a tourney team play, more of that pleasssse

1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, your last line of that post...when those 4 guys are in the game together, things happen.....

something about the "plus minus" .....it's on the plus side.

mstyles 22...great post....one thing about the fast break...those guys don't see the floor as well as they should....they should keep their heads up on the break looking for the open man or men.....but it is what it is...a hard thing to teach.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, I'm a Thompson fan. 6 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks in only 9 minutes. Yes, a couple of fouls, but he plays so aggressively on defense. I want to see more of him, especially on a night like this when EC and Robinson don't have it. Win these two road games and the RC will be nutty for our next home game vs. Dayton a week from Friday.......oh, and GO PATS!!!
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote:That's a tourney team play, more of that pleasssse

A thing of beauty!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Nice finish after a mediocre 3/4 of the game.
Martin was a tower of strength all game long.
Terrell was aggressive and when he is, he's
a difference maker.
EC? Looked lost most of the night.
Don't get why Thompson was only in for 9 minutes?
He contributed well in his time
Dowtin played his best game.
The big difference and why URI won?
Kuran Iverson. 12 points, 5 rebounds, 4 blocks in
only 18 minutes of play.
He gave them energy when the game went from close
to a decent lead.
I think Davidson might be a sterner test for the Rams.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

need jarvis back though-- dowton cant play 37/40 minutes against a good team-- even if jarvis can be the backup n give 10-15 min
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, now the real test begins....finally show something on the road, win the next 2 and have momentum going into the Dayton game....don't let us down for the millionth time now......I'm officially on the "hope" train.

Rod, they need that recipe Friday night....the Terrell of the early season needs to return like he did tonight, and keep it going.

If EC is off he needs to sit......otherwise the ball stops moving and bad things happen.

This team is all about energy....I know that's no revelation...but can they play with energy on the road? That's the BIG question.

If they can, there's a chance we can get to the NCAAT tourney without having to win the A10T.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We can hope again if we win at Davidson Friday. Since that would be us getting over the, not being able to beat a good team on the road, hump.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PRT, it's about frigging time isn't it?

That's what's so maddening about this group...when they are "on" they can play with anybody.......

But they are only "on" at home, and not always either.....the Cincy game was eons ago.....

Going to have to play well from the jump on the road...that's something that hasn't happened much this season.

What does it take to get them motivated for a road game?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Good finish...thought KI made key contributions after he picked up his fourth foul...without getting #5.

At the time, JT's block on the perimeter late, seemed like one of the biggest plays of the game....

Love the full court trapping pressure...this seemed like maybe one of the first games where the other team actually looked somewhat gassed while Rhody still had plenty of energy.

On to Davidson....
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hopefully it's time.
I re watched the cinci game and the reason we won was because everybody actually played well. At least in the second half.
That's what it will take for us to dance, if everybody can play well. Not necessarily great, but for us if you're not playing well you're playing poorly. Like EC tonight was playing bad. If he at least played alright or pretty well, they wouldn't have lead all that time.

Our defense is our key though, especially against Davidson. That could easily end up being a Richmond type game and they have a better offense than Richmond. Still have yet to beat Davidson since they've been in the league.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Big, ultimately decisive, coaching decision by Hurley to gamble and keep playing Kuran with foul trouble at the end. That coaching decision was the difference in this game
Loved this move.....
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seems like this team is starting to find an identity.

Pressing from the jump? Great!

Martin's jump hooks are very impressive.

That Dowtin is exciting.

Great game KI.

I will take EC in the spot up role and JT in the creator role any day.

I wonder if JG comes back this year and looks like JG. It would help to have a good JG against the better teams.

I have always been a Thompson guy. He added blocked shots to his repertoire??!!>>!! Love that guy's activity.

Also, I have asked for more of the Martin+Cyril lineup, but that was not as effective as I thought. Maybe it was? IDK. Good game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Loved this move.....
Was it that much of a move? 4 minutes left in the game...was the alternative bringing him to the bench and saving him for overtime?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The alternative move was sitting him for a couple minutes and bringing him back in for the last minute or two. Hurley left him out and in doing so ensured the game didn't come down to the last possession or two
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A lot of what has been said...Sleepwalked through the first 30+ minutes. Then blitzed them in the last 5. Defensive intensity was clearly turned up down the stretch, which made the difference. As did our ability to get good shots in crunch time, not always our strongest suit.

Christian Thompson has been one of our more consistent contributors since he returned. He does a little bit of everything, and his two made threes came at critical moments in the game when we needed a hoop.

Potential red flag -- Alex Peters, TJ Cline, tonight Cavanaugh -- big stretch 4s have had their way with us this year. Mostly by getting KI in foul trouble early and then beating up on back ups and mismatches. Enter Davidson and Peyton Aldridge. Worrisome. Wonder who will draw Jack Gibbs, we can't put a Freshman on him for 35 minutes he will eat him up. They are a two-man team, but we have been beaten by teams similar to Davidson (Valpo, PC, Houston) that had a star or two control the game against us. The next biggest game of the year, need a road win in the worst way.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

As I called it at the time during the game just before it occurred inserting KI into the game at that point was a no brainer obvious move.

Good move but obvious.

Certainly not coaching genius.

KI responded all credit goes to the player.

We did run a couple excellent half court sets. The back door pass by Akele(playing Iverson role) was stellar.

Solid win.

Watching Fordham right now.... look like another tough matchup for our Rams. Not a lotta gimmies in this league.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

fordham is raining 3s on dayton--up 2 with 14 min left
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

KI was playing well...if Dan takes him out it probably kills our momentum and there goes the ballgame......

Dan has done that a lot...taking a guy out who's hot and stopping ourselves dead in our tracks. It's hard to regain that momentum even when the player returns....

DH is learning.......
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, our problem is KI can't defend against a good stretch 4....he's a 3.......that's what this team is really missing.

Teams that have one, eat our lunch.

And there's no one on the horizon on the recruiting front...which is quite worrisome.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:Nice finish after a mediocre 3/4 of the game.
Martin was a tower of strength all game long.
Terrell was aggressive and when he is, he's
a difference maker.
EC? Looked lost most of the night.
Don't get why Thompson was only in for 9 minutes?
He contributed well in his time
Dowtin played his best game.
The big difference and why URI won?
Kuran Iverson. 12 points, 5 rebounds, 4 blocks in
only 18 minutes of play.
He gave them energy when the game went from close
to a decent lead.
I think Davidson might be a sterner test for the Rams.
Rod, good to hear from you.

On a personal note, I hope you are feeling well.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

They could have packed it in and went home. They didn't. Maybe this win can be some type of learning experience for the close dog fight games we most likely have coming up.
Hass was awesome 1st half. Iverson and Terrel were awesome last 10min.
EC doesn't have same ability to create his own shot, think if Hurley designs a few plays were EC can catch shoot the three fairly open we can be a better team.

REVESRSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

brady, that's why EC and JT rarely play well together......EC isn't a one on one type, whereas Terrell is.....when EC ball hogs, JT watches....no good.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:KI was playing well...if Dan takes him out it probably kills our momentum and there goes the ballgame......

Dan has done that a lot...taking a guy out who's hot and stopping ourselves dead in our tracks. It's hard to regain that momentum even when the player returns....

DH is learning.......
Again wasn't a worry. Akele had done a nice job replacing him after the 3rd foul. We needed more offense, better interior defense, offensive rebounding and an overall boost. No reason to worry about KI fouling out. Hope the player responds and ride him as long as you can. Fouls out whatever doesn't matter.

Obvious coaching move if he did anything else I'd be all over it. Had to insert KI right there and ride him.

Let's go skin some cats!
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

brady1 wrote:think if Hurley designs a few plays were EC can catch shoot the three fairly open we can be a better team!
Agree good call. I expect coaching staff will be working on this hard in practice this week.

EC and JT are both dribble drive first players. This suggestion is a good fix.

Like I've said in DH defense this is a tough group to coach....but our talent level is good. Do we still have time to get this team firing on all cylinders?

Unfortunately looks like the metro Rams are going down, was hoping for some help there....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

nevermind fordham hasnt beat dayton since i was an undergrad at uri lol
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where was coach Cox tonight or did I just miss seeing him tonight?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote:
brady1 wrote:think if Hurley designs a few plays were EC can catch shoot the three fairly open we can be a better team!
Agree good call. I expect coaching staff will be working on this hard in practice this week.

EC and JT are both dribble drive first players. This suggestion is a good fix.

Like I've said in DH defense this is a tough group to coach....but our talent level is good. Do we still have time to get this team firing on all cylinders?

Unfortunately looks like the metro Rams are going down, was hoping for some help there....

Nah man we need Dayton to take care of business. Same with VCU. Better for the conference and better for us if we beat them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Post game show with Hurley, Hass and Jared and also Chris DiSano.

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27645216/
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This game showed some of the Rams flaws which 21 games has yet to change - the inconsistency issue, better positioning on the offensive board after missed shots, weak perimeter shooting under pressure. Hassan, Iverson, and Terrell were all great. EC had a bad shooting night. FT production greatly improved. Bench production was not great. Some dumb fouls in first half. The transition game sometimes does not push with intensity. We miss Jarvis. Has Langevine lost confidence in finishing lay-ups? On one occasion he had a clear path to the basket and he suddenly passed the ball out???!!
2 x
FroggyTheFan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by FroggyTheFan »

I'm encouraged by this win. It was far from a perfect game, but GW was on fire hitting tough shots in the first half and URI hung in there and made their own run when it counted. I liked the press right off the bat to prevent a slow defensive start. Maybe use this strategy on the road to avoid these big holes we keep digging?

Go Rhody!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe the best stat of the night is an indication that Hass is feeling a lot better these days......36 minutes played!
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Alot of what has already been said....

Good effort i think we caught GW on a good night for them, they seemed to play well and made some tough shots in first 30 mins of the game.
Defense in the first 10 and last 10 mins of this game is what we need to see for all 40 going forward, seemed to back off a little bit in the 20 mins inbetween those stretches.
If you let Hassan get position and go up with left hand he is just not going to miss, think he is feeling alot better seems like there is more spring to his step and played most of the night.
IDK what Iverson's +- was but i bet it was well into double digits.
Thompson needs more than 9 mins, he seemed to be very productive on both ends of the floor in that short time.
Terrell seemed to be more aggressive getting to the basket and was looking for contact. Idk if it is just me but while he shot plenty of FT tonight it seems like there has to be more contact for him to get a foul call then other players.

I like the zone press to start off the game alot, hopefully that continues.
0 x
Clapton is God
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

It seemed to me that GW gave up with just under 2 minutes to go. Cavanaugh took a horrible contested 3 pointer from 27 feet away when there was plenty of time to run a play for him on the post. And after the miss, you're still down 9 with a 1:50 left against a team shooting only 58% from the line in league play, foul and put the pressure on Rhody to make their throws. Granted they shot great last night, but try to extend the game like UMASS did as they almost stole a victory after being down 8 with a minute left. It seemed like the GW players seemed upset after the stupid technical foul from their coach while it was still a tight game and that killed their momentum and maybe their desire to win. Like they were, we played hard and well on the road and then you fuck us like that?
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ATPTourFan wrote:Post game show with Hurley, Hass and Jared and also Chris DiSano.

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27645216/
Picking on Don big time hahahah
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

They REALLY were!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:That's a tourney team play, more of that pleasssse

A thing of beauty!
Just love the 4 players touching the ball without a single dribble. Tremendous :D
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x