HOPE

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

HOPE

Unread post by luke »

I know I have been just as negative as anyone on the board since the loss to Richmond,
so this might sound a little strange. But in my memory floating around was the idea that
I somehow remembered Dayton going through an awful stretch in 2013-14. So I looked it up.
In the second half of January they managed to lose out to end the month, dropping four straight games, and
as a UD grad i was totally exasperated and ready to give up on the season and the team that had
looked so good at times. At that point they had turned a 12-4 record into a 12-8 record. They
had fallen into a deep funk and there was no light shining at the other end of the tunnel.
Then I think the pressure was off them because the fans had given up. And so Just
when everyone had given up on them including me, they turned it completely around. Dayton
won 9 of 10 to finish the regular season and won the A10 opener, but lost to SJU the next game.
Then then proceeded to win three in a row in the NCAA to advance to the Elite 8. Am I saying URI will do the same ? No way,
but it could happen. Maybe the pressure is now off. I promise to stop jumping ship after every loss for the rest of the season
and just watch each game for the enjoyment of basketball and I hope the players just go out and
play for the sake of playing and enjoying each game. Maybe then they can forget about the pressure
to win and have fun playing basketball again. And if that happens, you never know.....
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: HOPE

Unread post by theblueram »

Well, there is hope. But there is also change.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Good post Luke, very good.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

They do play better at home.

I was just thinking that this team could be the team to really be different and the best in the last 5ish years.

Why?

The senior leadership holds most of the talent. They put their heads down and lock in and they hold all of the chips for this team. KI HM go for that. Just wipe the boards. No fouls. lights out play by them and this thing could take off.

Rare time here when the seniors are also the best. In the past the best guys were younger immature. Leading that way is tough. Seniors are leaders.

Martin didn't show up to Richmond. He gave them the first basket by screening EC and paying the ball handler no attention. He was checked out there. Got his shot blocked by a 6'4 freshman a couple times.

Guys have to lock in and make each game their everything because their careers are looking like maybe another 50 days.

All this and the experience level doesn't have a big drop off from senior to junior Terrell and co.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The players won't loosten up if the coach doesn't lighten up.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well maybe the coach will also experience the lifting of pressure from the lowering of
expectations now surrounding his team. i don't think he has been immune to the
pressure any less than his players. He can now also relax alittle as his team moves
under the radar of the national media for at least the immediate future. The team
sorely needs a big shot of confidence that could come from a few lucky bounces and
some wins. It happens a lot in basketball. We will see how it goes for a few games. I
have no expectations anymore so I will take any wins that come and enjoy them.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

oh , thanks Giovanni for your nice post.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't see this team going on a run like UD had

We will win our share of games but then will stumble a few more times

I would think we will need to run the table at a10 tourney to dance
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well, that's the beauty of it Reef. Nobody saw the Dayton run coming either.
These kind of runs often happen after a disaster of a loss. In 1985 Villanova
lost their last regular season game by 30 points and there coach and fan base
were at wits end. They did okay in the league tourney and barely made it in
to the NCAA field. They beat Dayton at Dayton in the opening game of the
tournament by two points then swept through to win the NCAA Championship
over Patrick Ewing and Georgetown. This kind of stuff happens a lot.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes it can happen . The key game to get it started will be @ Davidson assuming we beat GW at home

Will we finally have a gut check road win or will we piss in our pants again in a big game ??
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Moral of the story? We must all lose hope on URI from the start of pre-season!

In fact, I have already given up on the 2017-18 team! *wink*

No hard feelings please. Learn to laugh and smile and enjoy each day!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah be careful Dan....anything you say here can and will be used against you......even in jest.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That's unfair. Many members who post are able to be sarcastic and use dry wit and that comes through. Other members have conditioned their readers to only interpret their posts one way.

If anyone feels their jokes aren't being spotted, use the wealth of emojis to help us figure out your sense of humor.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Like it Daninaz. That gave me a chuckle.
0 x