Game 20: St Bonaventure, Saturday Jan 28, 2:00pm NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 20: St Bonaventure, Saturday Jan 28, 2:00pm NBCSN

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster, I think it is slowly dawning on DH that he can't play favorites......especially when those favorites aren't getting it done, whether it's early or late in the game.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Really great day at Ryan Center too many positives to count.
EC is my favorite RAM right now and I couldn't be happier Hurley sat him last 6 min or subbed him in and out last minutes for free throws. Hurley saw turnovers not shooting well and sat him.
No one should be sacred on this team last 5 min could be any one of our 9 best players on the court depending on the flow of the game and who's playing well and not some preset game plan.

Great play by the young men and great coaching by Hurley.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I've been big on the idea of getting Stan more minutes all year and even on the postgame they made a good case that he had a good game, for me he I don't trust how sloppy and lacksadasical he is with the ball. I was screaming about him throwing little lobs on the perimeter against Bona's zone. And more generally, against a zone it is usually a good idea to attack the soft middle, but we were totally unprepared for that 1-3-1ish zone Bona played - you don't attack that kind of zone in the middle where it is actually occupied. Someone needs to be running corner to corner on the baseline against that type of zone so you can attack it where it is soft. Most zones are soft in the middle but not the one we saw today. You have to be able to recognize that if you're a player and especially if you're a coach.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

TP, watch out bro. Criticizing Hurley, one of the younger, everyone deserves a trophy posters on this board might call you names.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not usually one to be critical, especially after a win against a league team ahead of you in the standings. But we are going to have to be great - not good, but great - for the rest of the year for it not to be a total waste. And one of my few longstanding beefs with this staff is what I see as a below average tactical approach to offense. Overall I was happy for a win and I'll sleep better tonight that after the Richmond game, but there's room for improvement.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

That's the best defensive performance anyone has had against St. Bonaventure this season. Can't complain about the defensive effort today. It was good to see some full-court press early. I hope we continue to see more of it.

TP is right though, it was a lackluster offensive performance. Bona is not a good defensive team and we struggled against their 1-3-1.

Not going to complain too much. Good win against a good team. Let's get the next one.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Today's magnificent crowd came out in support of what frankly so far has been a mediocre club. This proves once again how truly special URI hoops could and should be.

If this talented team fails to make a nice NCAA run it will be one of the biggest lost opportunities in URI history.

Win.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Great defensive effort and great crowd today! As I said in another comment, this game reminded me a lot of two years ago which isn't a bad thing. Obviously a high tempo offense is more enjoyable to watch for most people but I wonder if we're better as a defensive focused team like we were two years ago.

Regarding Stan, what I don't understand is the lineup that did the best against Cincy was EC, Stan, Terrell, Iverson and Langevine. Why aren't we seeing more of this lineup or the same lineup but with Martin and Langevine switched?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Because Martin is a beast, a warrior, an excellent basketball player and a 4 year starter. He makes players around him better. He is the best shot blocker in the A10 and one could argue in the entire nation when he is 100% healthy. He helped this team tie the all time URI blocked shots in a game with 15, and to tie the record on a URI team that he was also on. His FT shooting and FG shooting is the best it's been in his 4 years. For this team to travel its maximum potential Hassan Martin has to be on the floor. I will be happy and sad on Senior Day at URI for this great player and man.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Post Game Show including Dan Hurley presser:
http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27639599/
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am hoping that one day EC will realize that he cannot dribble through 2 defenders. How many times have we seen him turn it over on that type of play? Also I think he needs to play with more focus on what he is doing. On 3 or 4 of his other turnovers it looked like he made lazy, soft passes that could be easily corrected.
Also, we need someone on staff who can teach these guys how to attack a zone. We need to get the ball to Iverson at the free throw line and let him use his height and passing ability to make a play.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

As TP alluded to the middle isn't how you attack the extended 1-3-1 they were playing against us. You attack it over the top and the baseline is wide open. Hassan was calling for a lob and wide open countless times. It seemed only Dowtin or Iverson had the cajones to attempt the pass. The back of that zone had a 6'1 guard covering the hoop.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Dan said in the post game that they were begging the guards to throw the ball to the corner of the backboard.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Very good crowd considering how the season has unfolded. Happy to see them fight and not collapse when the Bonnie's made their last push. Still going to be an up hill battle, but this is a start.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They had that lob over the top to Martin any time they wanted to take it. Finally Dowtin (I think) hit it and Martin converted and drew the foul. I'm sure it's easier to see from the vantage point of my seat than it is on the floor but they need to be prepared for that. That's going to be in the film prep this week, for sure. Because with how effective that was for Bona I would imagine we will see it again.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote:We need to get the ball to Iverson at the free throw line and let him use his height and passing ability to make a play.
That is what they were trying to do today but unfortunately it's the exact wrong way to attack the type of zone we saw today, where the middle is occupied but the baseline and corners aren't guarded.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

What I liked most about this game is that although bona cut it to 4 we held it together and won it going away by 12. Yes of course there's room for improvement, but this was good. I'm still not thrilled with DH's strategy around how and when to call TO's, but today it all worked out the guys were able to absorb bona's best shot and stay in control. Now, not as a criticism, but to take the next step players and coaches have to be able to do this on the road against decent teams with consistency.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to hold serve at home

Still need. To cut down on these turnovers esp under our own basket

Be strong with the ball
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

A couple of questions...1. Where was EZ Buckets? .... 2. What was going on at the beginning of the 2nd half when Yorke said that Akele was in the starting lineup replacing Iverson. Then, about 10 seconds later, he says that Iverson is back in the starting lineup?
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Billyboy78 wrote:A couple of questions...1. Where was EZ Buckets? .... 2. What was going on at the beginning of the 2nd half when Yorke said that Akele was in the starting lineup replacing Iverson. Then, about 10 seconds later, he says that Iverson is back in the starting lineup?
Sadly, one of my good friends decided to get married yesterday so I was forced to miss only my third home game in 8 seasons. It was a tough decision to make. The amount of "are you dead?" texts I got during the game was funny. Of course we had a huge crowd too... :oops:

See you all on Tuesday!
3 x