"Its hard" quote

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

"Its hard" quote

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... their-side

Bill Koch wrote:How the Rams adjust could dictate their fate come Selection Sunday. It's a point Dan Hurley has sharpened over URI's six-day break, one that ends against Duquesne at the Palumbo Center on Saturday afternoon.

"It's really, really hard to do the things that we're looking to accomplish this year," Hurley said Thursday after practice at the Ryan Center. "We're looking to win a regular-season [banner] - there's none hanging up in here. The reason why is because it's hard to do.

"We're trying to get to the NCAA Tournament - we haven't done that in a long time [since 1999], nor have we done it many times [eight appearances]. It's really, really hard to do. We've got to play harder."

Undone by unrealistic expectations?
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
Added full context of quote for fair assessment.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: "Its hard" quote

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm not sure I understand. Is your opinion that making the tournament is easy?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I thought that quote was slightly critical of his team and their mental makeup. They have wilted at times this year when it was tough.

Takes effort.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sounds kind of whiney, and padding the excuses.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seems like a lot is being read into a pretty simple statement. Getting into the tournament is hard. How is this controversial?
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Rod gets it.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sounds like a guy who signed up for Special Forces and once he got into it realized he couldn't hack it.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

sounds like someone trying to lower expectations...
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If it was easy, he would not be paid so much.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We will search high and low and under every rock for something to bitch about.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We only bitch about 1 thing.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote:We only bitch about 1 thing.
Is that one thing everything?
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yes, the NCAAT is everything. Thanks
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some of you guys are so fucking miserable it's pathetic.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm actually very happy right now. Not with this team, but generally I feel good. It's been a good couple of days.
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I guess some people just have lower expectations...
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal chopped off the part of the quote where Dan said the team needed to play harder to reach their goals, but anyone could click on the article and see it for themselves. So we complain, especially after the La Salle game, that the team needs to play harder, Dan agrees we need to play harder, we complain that he's making excuses? This board really is something else.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Hal is guilty of fake news!
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I take offense to Dan's comment on the number of tournaments we have been to. Don't live in the past Dan. You are becoming part of the problem.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Reminds me of Tim O'Shea saying that you couldn't recruit
at URI.
A disqualifying statement, for a guy looking to lead the program,
at that time.
I agree with Blueram 100%.
Think Big! We were going to be "The Gonzaga of The East"!
Now it's,"Well, gee, this is tougher than I thought".
Whatever.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This team's issues in most of their losses hasn't been that they don't play hard....except LaSalle I guess.....but that they don't play SMART......

Playing hard is expected...you think? Playing smart is the hard part......

And that includes coaching smarter too.

Dan has found out this isn't easy.....newsflash of the week.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I agree with tbr, too, and I'm also feeling pretty good...both personally and about the team. People don't really want to hear from leaders, how hard their job is...and then have it reinforced by citing lack of success by predecessors as proof. I'd like to say he was just trying to be open and forthright. He didn't say anything in that space that everyone didn't already know anyway, and nothing that anyone could really disagree with, but....some things are just better left unsaid?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just like us, Dan thought we'd be dancing by now when he signed on here, I have to believe.

For many reasons, it hasn't panned out. Some reasons out of his control, and some he could control.

If he thinks it's too hard to do this, then where does that leave us? In trouble, that's where.

I doubt he really meant that, but it's disconcerting to hear this.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How much money does it take to get a competent coach at URI to get us to dance? Hell, we paid Penders $50k and he got us to the Sweet 16 and then got a job at Texas for $500k. It's going to get to the point where college coaches are getting 1 year contracts. Dance or leave.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: If he thinks it's too hard to do this, then where does that leave us? In trouble, that's where.
I know it doesn't matter most likely, but that is 100% not what he said. He did not say "it's too hard". He said it is hard to make the tournament. Which guess what, it is. How are people seriously making something out of this?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

blueram, I can guarantee you this....the powers that be at URI do NOT want to wait 5 more years to Dance.....that much I know.

Dan's contract makes it tough for URI to pull the plug on him for a while though.....the school is in a much better position if Dan leaves for another job...if he's ever offered another one.

URI also thought that they would be dancing by now too.

Concerning my above post....the things out of Dan's control were injuries and player issues...things he can and should control: recruiting, player development, and game coaching.....those things have been lacking.

Adam, I think you're right...but can you or anyone else know for sure? His demeanor at the last show reflected a coach who may have run out of answers as to his frustration with the current group of players.

Today's game was fine....so was the St. Joes and St. Louis games... but then LaSalle happened and the UMass game started bad....which URI team is going to show up on any given night?
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote: If he thinks it's too hard to do this, then where does that leave us? In trouble, that's where.
I know it doesn't matter most likely, but that is 100% not what he said. He did not say "it's too hard". He said it is hard to make the tournament. Which guess what, it is. How are people seriously making something out of this?
Not only is what he said plainly true, his point was "we need to grind and work our asses off because it is hard," not "it's hard so we are ok if it doesn't happen."

The willingness of people here to twist everything into something to be outraged about is embarrassing. I know all fans are crazy to some extent, but it's hard to imagine there are worse fans out there.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, It would be nice if you would read my entire post on that, and then the follow up to Adam.....

I said I really don't believe it either, just that you can't be sure.

So don't lump me with those that might think that Dan thinks it's too hard to dance here.

And if you ever read other message boards, this board is tame compared to the craziness you read on some other boards.

Using the term "worse fans" is again putting down and insulting...but I know you just can't help it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bone, I'm not going after you, or really anyone in particular. Just collectively we are basket cases. Any sign of adversity or setback and it is a complete meltdown. Innocuous comments that are inarguably correct are twisted into a reason to be alarmed. Overall, I'm not real proud of the way this fan base conducts itself. I want us to be better. I want to be better than that, personally. I identify as a fan of this team even before as a fan of the Patriots or Red Sox or Celtics. I don't want to be embarrassed by that identity because fans of URI basketball are known as kooks.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I really took it as a public shot across the bow for the team.

That Lasalle loss was crap and losing all the OOC road games was filth.

Right now they control their destiny. Looking healthy. Huge games coming up.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, we're not nutjobs...I think basically all of us are rational and fairly well educated individuals.......

but we're passionate about this program....we want the best for it....most of us know we'll never be a Duke or Kentucky, but would take being an equal to a Dayton or VCU....even being the "Gonzaga of the East" is a little bit far fetched I would think.

So we live and die with this on a day-to-day, game to game basis...some of us know more about BB and about the URI program than others....but we share the happiness and wear the frustration on our sleeves...maybe too much of that sometimes....but we care.

Some of us older fans know what our successes were like back in the day....and we compare that to what we've experienced over the last 3 coaches including Dan....so we may seem a little harsh or quick to judge nowadays.....but I think that's to be expected...the younger guys have more time and patience to wait. We don't.

Hey we're all in this boat together...we're not trying to sink it. Quite the opposite, although it might not seem that way sometimes.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe DH meant when he said it's hard to make it that they are in a tough spot with all the early season losses and he knows there is no margin for error now
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think DH is comparing himself to CFL, we should move this whole discussion to the JB 2.0 thread
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

reef, they made it hard on themselves with those losses...since then we've seen that those teams aren't world beaters...that's what makes it hard to take. Big time lost opportunities.

I guess it took Jarvis being out, for Dan to finally start making positive adjustments during games. Wish it hadn't taken so long.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Changed my mind I like this thread better, hope it lives on and on and on.....

if you told me last year at this time that i would feel most inline with NYGfan I'd have my serious doubts, but he's really starting to get it and explains it well...
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I agree with tbr, too, and I'm also feeling pretty good...both personally and about the team. People don't really want to hear from leaders, how hard their job is...and then have it reinforced by citing lack of success by predecessors as proof. I'd like to say he was just trying to be open and forthright. He didn't say anything in that space that everyone didn't already know anyway, and nothing that anyone could really disagree with, but....some things are just better left unsaid?
As fans we're allowed to like the team, the coaches, the players and still make observations and state our opinions about them.

My opinion about this kind of statement is that it is so much better left unsaid. And I'm not sure the head coach saying it to the press can be seen by anyone as anything positive, maybe it can be waved off by some, but I'd like to hear more about how a statement like this could help the situation. Can someone who thinks its bat shit to make a thing of this statement please answer my desire to hear how the statement is a positive thing, helpful in achieving the supposed goal?

Please just address the request and realize I'm not attacking anyone, I'm not accusing anyone of being nutjobs or fucking pathetic, I'd just like to know what you guys think could be gained from making such statements to the press.

Btw, if one of my closest friends said these things about his or her job goals, I'd tell them "it's hard," that's the point, I'd encourage them to stick with it and give them my support, but eventually I'd probably tell them to stop whining. Just like you guys think its okay for players to hear from their coach via the press that they are not giving their all, it's okay for the coach to hear that he's whining from this board. Stop shifting the conversation DH, you have the talent here, do your job and coach them to meet the expectations you've set for us all.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Dan is speaking to us via the press, not addressing his players.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rodfromcranston wrote:Reminds me of Tim O'Shea saying that you couldn't recruit
at URI.
A disqualifying statement, for a guy looking to lead the program,
at that time.
I agree with Blueram 100%.
Think Big! We were going to be "The Gonzaga of The East"!
Now it's,"Well, gee, this is tougher than I thought".
Whatever.

Bingo. Padding excuses without a doubt. Ok it is hard, but how many teams have made the tournament since we last did? It's not like we have been to the tourney even twice in this century. So is the irritability of some or the questions they raise unfair? Many guys on this board probably have no idea what the tournament is, at least in Kingston, maybe if they have been watching PC. Ok it is hard, leave it unsaid. If it is so hard, then any reasonable person should know how difficult it is. Certainly the URI faithful should understand, we haven't been in 18 years, so it must be tough. By the same token he is getting paid a boatload of money for URI standards and it is not to make the NIT every 3 years. Hate to compare again, but look what has been done in the northern part of the state with our bitter rivals. Does anyone think PC was or is an easy job? They were the bottom of the barrel in the old BE. Tim Welsh had very moderate success, (if you want to call it that, their version of CFL) he echoed some of the same sentiments, maybe not publicly, but it was hard. OK fine. In comes a coach like Cooley that believes in what he says and gets paid a helluva salary and also produces. And PC is arguably a tougher job than URI. Playing it the BE, is a tad more difficult than the A 10, believe it or not for those who only watch the A 10. And anyone who has ever been to the PC campus, if you want to call it that, it's not an easy sell for many kids growing up today. But Cooley, much to his credit has put that program in a position where they are extremely competitive year in and year out in a very tough league. Not that I listen to him as the PC faithful may but in the times I have listened to him, I have never heard or read where he was whining about what his job presents, he seem to take a very positive approach and practices what he preaches. Gonzaga, that's what we were told was the goal. Well its hasn't been very tough for them to dance. But one thing I have learned for sure reading this board, whatever Dan says is beyond debate of questioning, it is simply gospel. Let's compare our program to Duquesne, they haven't been to tourney since the 70's, rather than strive to have a program you can actually compare to a mini Gonzaga if nothing else, let a lone to teams in our league like Dayton of VCU.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yup, keep ignoring the sentence that is the key to the whole quote because Hal conveniently left it out. Dan agrees with us, we go off the wall, it really does make for a fascinating and informative conversation.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It is hard. But we used to make it every once in a while, even when the field was 32 teams.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gio, we're not supposed to look at PC and Cooley.
That makes us PC fans, right?
I also love pointing to Scott Drew at Baylor.
He inherited a roster with 7 scholarship players,
coming off the NCAA death penalty.
Waco, Texas, in a football mad area.
Zero basketball tradition at Baylor.
Only 3 NCAAs prior to Drew signing on.
Drew has gotten Baylor to SIX NCAAs, two
Elite 8s,a Sweet 16.
In addition, two NITs and an NIT Championship.
If Dan wants to cry over what he inherited, tell him to look
up Scott Drew.
He didn't say "it's hard", he gets the job done BIG TIME.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I know we were both thrilled to get Dan when he first came here, I had my questions we would when his name was originally rumored. I was very excited when he decided to come here. And he has done a very good job getting us to where we are. But we all want to finally leap that final barrier and take the next step. And I like this team, and I am not saying I want Dan gone, but I wish he would stop with the excuses, or soft excuses if you will. Maybe I/we are more sensitive to this because of being tortured through the Baron era, which was excuse laden. I did listen to a PC pre game show last week while I was in the car. Kyron Cartwright, who is arguably their most important player and is having a very good year was listed as questionable or a game time decision. Cooley was asked about it, fine, certainly the fans want to know. Cooley had a simple answer of something to the effect of we will see after warm ups, we hope he can go, if not, basically next man up philosophy. You then listen to Dan, and his pre game or even his talk show, it has to continually be brought up the Jarvis isn't playing and is so key, Hassan is still ailing, EC is coming off a season ending injury. Ok, we get, fans know. You don't have to continuously mention it. You are only doing it to somehow satisfy yourself or give some type of excuse to all the fans that seem to buy into it. Creighton just lost Maurice Watson, one of the best PG in the land, and their season for all intensive purposes is over. After the first game or so, maybe ask a question, as to what is team going to do, how did they react. Understandable. But it will not be continually mentioned 7 games down the road. Everyone knows you lost a great player, it's understood, so you need to go on as a team and deal with what you do have. Only thing you are doing is trying to convince yourself it this is the case. Believe it or not, there are other teams in the country that have injuries, academic problems, off the court problems and so on. Look at Dayton? I can't say I have ever heard a Archie Miller presser or pre game, but I would almost guarantee he doesn't continually mention his team's injuries and problems his job presents. Not to mention, as a player, you do tend to take part of, or much of your coaches personality. Every time you make even the simplest of excuses you are also running this risk of passing it on to your team and therefore they also having the mentality of its ok to be close or just to compete instead of taking the killer mentality of "we have to".
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote: Now it's,"Well, gee, this is tougher than I thought".
Whatever.
I don't think that is a credible interpretation of what he said, and that's probably the root of a lot of disagreement here. Some people want to have a very tortured understanding of what someone said specifically so that can complain about it.

I do agree with runningram in that I wouldn't have said what Dan said, but only because I know that our fans are crazy that they would interpret as something to get upset about.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

giovanni wrote:Look at Dayton? I can't say I have ever heard a Archie Miller presser or pre game, but I would almost guarantee he doesn't continually mention his team's injuries and problems his job presents.
Imagine if Dan said this? "I'm tired of it" when talking about injuries. This place would explode.

Davis is never short on optimism, and fans would never doubt his determination. Miller provided a less biased report and candid comments about his injury fatigue. He was asked if he was tired of dealing with the conflicting emotions of celebrating a victory while dealing with an injury.

“I am. Yeah, I am,” Miller said. “I can push it off to the side and say, ‘No excuses,’ and all that, but I really am tired of it. I feel bad for a guy like Kyle. He’s had such a great year. He’s worked so hard. Hopefully, it’s just an ankle, and hopefully he gets back to the floor. If he doesn’t, we know what to do. He’s the heart and soul of what we do. If there’s a guy who’s going to work hard to get back to the floor, it’ll be him, but when that is, I don’t know.”

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports ... 4epMNGv6L/
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guess you never heard Dan, all season after EC went down, eh?
Dan's public mourning of EC's injury could not have had
a positive impact on the team.
Going as far as having EC's headband in his pocket for every game.
There was enough talent on the team to have gone to an NIT,
despite the loss.
Cooley lost Kris Dunn and made the NCAAs on a short roster,
and a zone defense, to mask fatigue and foul trouble.
He didn't mourn the loss of his best player, he moved on,m
and found a way to win.
As Preston told me after Watson went down,
injuries are awful when they hit your program,
but that's part of the game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So....with EC being right there, behind the bench, for just about every game...do you think he thought it was weird at all that the coach had his headband in his pocket? ..'cause I woulda thought that was weird as 'f'..... that just seems kinda creepy almost... when I'm sittn right there?

Not only would I like to hear Hurls only give status updates on injuries and leave it at that...but I'd love to hear him say he was tired of talking about them. Failing that...next best thing would be for a media member, after hearing the coach lament, say, "Don't you think the fans are tired of hearing that?"
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Guess you never heard Dan, all season after EC went down, eh?
Dan's public mourning of EC's injury could not have had
a positive impact on the team.
Going as far as having EC's headband in his pocket for every game.
There was enough talent on the team to have gone to an NIT,
despite the loss.
Cooley lost Kris Dunn and made the NCAAs on a short roster,
and a zone defense, to mask fatigue and foul trouble.
He didn't mourn the loss of his best player, he moved on,m
and found a way to win.
As Preston told me after Watson went down,
injuries are awful when they hit your program,
but that's part of the game.
Of course I did, but that's irrelevant to my post. I was responding to Gio's claim that Miller would never continually mention his team's injuries.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Don't worry guys, soon enough we'll lose another game and you'll have something to actually be miserable about again instead of having to resort to reading ridiculous things into the least controversial quote in the history of sports.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Hopefully, it’s just an ankle, and hopefully he gets back to the floor. If he doesn’t, we know what to do. He’s the heart and soul of what we do. If there’s a guy who’s going to work hard to get back to the floor, it’ll be him, but when that is, I don’t know.”

If he doesn't we know what to do. Sounds like he was asked about it, not sure how many times and he said " I can say no excuses, but I am tired of it". Ok. First of all , doesn't sound anything like what we hear on a continuous basis. Of course injuries suck, and no coach would or should say everything is fine. If he is hurt "we know what to do". Quick comment, let out some emotion and its over. Show me comment after comment after comment of it. O you can continue to put your Dan is without fault spin on everything. Again, I like Dan and have never mentioned getting rid of him, or that he has done a lousy job. But in this business, there will be questions, criticism and 2nd guessing. And this is only a message board, that's what it should be here for, conversation, good or bad. Dan's doesn't need apogists for everything he does. I know I was sick myself and away from the board for a while, but I don't think I missed so much time where Dan has accomplished Coach K type of success and should be lauded as "a king" and without any criticism.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:Don't worry guys, soon enough we'll lose another game and you'll have something to actually be miserable about again instead of having to resort to reading ridiculous things into the least controversial quote in the history of sports.

I keep forgetting basketball ends in Kingston and the A 10 and to think of anything greater is foolish and miserable. But,I am an old guy and also we now live the let's give everyone a trophy era and everything is always beautiful and perfect. I happened to grow up and compete in an era where you actually had to accomplish something good to get a trophy or be applauded at every level. What a ridiculous theory.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I have never once said Dan is without faults, but that is always the fall back opinion to project on to anybody who tries to call out when there is a ridiculous theory started around here. There are plenty of things about this team/season/coach to be critical of at this point in time. I simply pointing out that this quote is not one of them. This board was pretty dead quiet for the past week (because we didn't play) and then yesterday we went on the road and blew out a bad team so people haven't had anything new to bitch about for over a week now. Then along came this thread and a new made up controversy to fill the void.
0 x