"Its hard" quote

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: "Its hard" quote

Unread post by adam914 »

giovanni wrote:
adam914 wrote:Don't worry guys, soon enough we'll lose another game and you'll have something to actually be miserable about again instead of having to resort to reading ridiculous things into the least controversial quote in the history of sports.

I keep forgetting basketball ends in Kingston and the A 10 and to think of anything greater is foolish and miserable. But,I am an old guy and also we now live the let's give everyone a trophy era and everything is always beautiful and perfect. I happened to grow up and compete in an era where you actually had to accomplish something good to get a trophy or be applauded at every level. What a ridiculous theory.
Agreed, that is a ridiculous theory, and one that I have never claimed to support. So not sure where that is coming from.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote:
adam914 wrote:Don't worry guys, soon enough we'll lose another game and you'll have something to actually be miserable about again instead of having to resort to reading ridiculous things into the least controversial quote in the history of sports.

I keep forgetting basketball ends in Kingston and the A 10 and to think of anything greater is foolish and miserable. But,I am an old guy and also we now live the let's give everyone a trophy era and everything is always beautiful and perfect. I happened to grow up and compete in an era where you actually had to accomplish something good to get a trophy or be applauded at every level. What a ridiculous theory.
Being all selfish and exclusionary with the trophies and such is part of the reason the boomer generation has been such a menace to the planet. :lol: :lol:
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The funniest part of all this is that during the first half of the Cincinnati game I said we were the same 'ol URI, a good but not great team and weren't a top 25 team, but just a solid top 4 A10 team and nothing more. Then we came back and won and a few people gave me some shit in that thread.

I also predicted one of the bottom 12 worst records in the preseason contest and only two people predicted a worse record than me.

Kind of strange behavior for someone who thinks Dan can do no wrong and everything is perfect, isn't it?

But now just because I don't buy into made up controversies I am someone who thinks everything is perfect.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

adam914 wrote:The funniest part of all this is that during the first half of the Cincinnati game I said we were the same 'ol URI, a good but not great team and weren't a top 25 team, but just a solid top 4 A10 team and nothing more. Then we came back and won and a few people gave me some shit in that thread.

I also predicted one of the bottom 12 worst records in the preseason contest and only two people predicted a worse record than me.

Kind of strange behavior for someone who thinks Dan can do no wrong and everything is perfect, isn't it?

But now just because I don't buy into made up controversies I am someone who thinks everything is perfect.
Well, I don't recall that, and I certainly don't recall me personally giving you or anyone shit for having a lower prognostication than myself. I, undoubtedly had very high hopes and expectations for this team. At this point it looks like I was way off and my expectations were way too high. And they were probably boosted higher after being able to pull out the Cincinnati game. While I may complain, I will continue to hold out some hope for the type of play that is somewhere closer to the level I had hoped for, whether those expectations were merited or not. I will also still maintain they will win this league , as long as they can remain healthy, at least to a reasonable degree. If somehow the team reaches close to this level and do indeed find a way to win this league, I think we will all be happy.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Adam-it is hell of a thing for a NCAA D1 coach to say,thats all.
When I ran into Coach Hurley at a FB game,he told me how much he was looking forward to the season.
5 years is time enough.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Not only would I like to hear Hurls only give status updates on injuries and leave it at that...but I'd love to hear him say he was tired of talking about them. Failing that...next best thing would be for a media member, after hearing the coach lament, say, "Don't you think the fans are tired of hearing that?"
This is funny to me cause it's not how this board works at all. Last year when Martin got hurt the first time Hurley was only giving updates as he had them and posters were pissed. "Why isn't Hurley being more forthcoming, what is he hiding." The people on this board crave being unhappy and will go out of their way to find something to be unhappy about. This thread is living, breathing, pulsating proof of that indisputable fact.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:Adam-it is hell of a thing for a NCAA D1 coach to say,thats all.
When I ran into Coach Hurley at a FB game,he told me how much he was looking forward to the season.
5 years is time enough.
Why didn't you include the line that the team needs to play harder, the sentence that made the rest of the quote make sense?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Adam-it is hell of a thing for a NCAA D1 coach to say,thats all.
5 years is time enough.
It actually isn't a hell of a thing for a coach to say. It's absolutely meaningless.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Not only would I like to hear Hurls only give status updates on injuries and leave it at that...but I'd love to hear him say he was tired of talking about them. Failing that...next best thing would be for a media member, after hearing the coach lament, say, "Don't you think the fans are tired of hearing that?"
This is funny to me cause it's not how this board works at all. Last year when Martin got hurt the first time Hurley was only giving updates as he had them and posters were pissed. "Why isn't Hurley being more forthcoming, what is he hiding." The people on this board crave being unhappy and will go out of their way to find something to be unhappy about. This thread is living, breathing, pulsating proof of that indisputable fact.
...including expressing unhappiness about what others are unhappy about... :lol:
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I edited the original post with the full context and quote.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This board has lost it's collective mind......I need a few more beers.
3 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

This is a line we will remember like "its all part of the process".
Rest assured.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:This is a line we will remember like "its all part of the process".
Rest assured.
Answer the question, why did you purposely leave out the quote that said the team needs to work harder, the sentence that gives background to everything else you did post?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's hard to imagine that this team can work much harder...DH's practices wear people out just watching them.

It's working smarter, like I've said before, that this team needs to work more on.

The coach has started to make good adjustments in his game strategy lately. That's a good sign.

That's smarter I think. Now the players have to follow through on their end. KI looks like he's coming around......same for EC.

The team looks more cohesive with SR and Dowtin on the floor. That's more progress.

Now do it against better teams, and do it more consistently, and we might have something to be happy about before this season is over.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow I had no idea DH put EC headband in his pocket
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

giovanni wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Reminds me of Tim O'Shea saying that you couldn't recruit
at URI.
A disqualifying statement, for a guy looking to lead the program,
at that time.
I agree with Blueram 100%.
Think Big! We were going to be "The Gonzaga of The East"!
Now it's,"Well, gee, this is tougher than I thought".
Whatever.

Bingo. Padding excuses without a doubt. Ok it is hard, but how many teams have made the tournament since we last did? It's not like we have been to the tourney even twice in this century. So is the irritability of some or the questions they raise unfair? Many guys on this board probably have no idea what the tournament is, at least in Kingston, maybe if they have been watching PC. Ok it is hard, leave it unsaid. If it is so hard, then any reasonable person should know how difficult it is. Certainly the URI faithful should understand, we haven't been in 18 years, so it must be tough. By the same token he is getting paid a boatload of money for URI standards and it is not to make the NIT every 3 years. Hate to compare again, but look what has been done in the northern part of the state with our bitter rivals. Does anyone think PC was or is an easy job? They were the bottom of the barrel in the old BE. Tim Welsh had very moderate success, (if you want to call it that, their version of CFL) he echoed some of the same sentiments, maybe not publicly, but it was hard. OK fine. In comes a coach like Cooley that believes in what he says and gets paid a helluva salary and also produces. And PC is arguably a tougher job than URI. Playing it the BE, is a tad more difficult than the A 10, believe it or not for those who only watch the A 10. And anyone who has ever been to the PC campus, if you want to call it that, it's not an easy sell for many kids growing up today. But Cooley, much to his credit has put that program in a position where they are extremely competitive year in and year out in a very tough league. Not that I listen to him as the PC faithful may but in the times I have listened to him, I have never heard or read where he was whining about what his job presents, he seem to take a very positive approach and practices what he preaches. Gonzaga, that's what we were told was the goal. Well its hasn't been very tough for them to dance. But one thing I have learned for sure reading this board, whatever Dan says is beyond debate of questioning, it is simply gospel. Let's compare our program to Duquesne, they haven't been to tourney since the 70's, rather than strive to have a program you can actually compare to a mini Gonzaga if nothing else, let a lone to teams in our league like Dayton of VCU.

Welsh actually had PC up to number 12 in the country at one time and they went to the tournament as a 5 seed and got beat badly and for whatever reason the bottom seemed to drop out on him. I personally think it was his staff which in my opinion he was to loyal too. I was never a huge fan of his teams because even though they had some success I always thought they were soft.

On the other hand I was always an admirer of AL Skinner teams thought they were tough and hard-nosed. I will say I though bench coaching was Skinners weakness but his teams always played hard and competed.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

There is not 1 game left on the schedule we shouldn't win if healthy. The hard work is done = putting together a D1 team that is more talented and has more firepower than anyone in your league....

I had Richmond penciled in as a L on the way to 15-3.

We gagged on Lasalle so prove me wrong Wed nite.

Win.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!