Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond has a huge game @ Dayton this Thursday and a big game hosting URI in a week.
TJ Cline has been having a 1st Team A-10 type if year so far and De'Monte is making a run as a strong candidate for Freshman of the Year
http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArti ... =211414191

This blocked shot by Freshman De'Monte Buckingham against St Bonaventure made #6 in Sportscenter Top 10 Plays
http://wric.com/2017/01/11/buckinghams- ... na-venture

Starting 5:
T.J Cline, SR, 6'9" F
ShawnDre' Jones, SR, 6'0" G
Khan Fore, Soph, 6'0" G
Julius Johnson, Soph, 6'3" G
DeMonte Buckingham, Freshman, 6'4" G
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Unread post by reef »

As Rhody fans who do we root for Richmond or Dayton ??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dayton, we play them twice.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote:As Rhody fans who do we root for Richmond or Dayton ??
easily Dayton. we need Dayton, VCU and ourselves to separate from the pack
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We are really going to miss Jarvis in this game next week. Last year he totally took Richmond's point guard out of the game as Jones did not score a point. Last year he averaged 14.7 points a game.
I think that as well as he played against UMass Jeff Dowtin will not come close to shutting down Jones like JG did last year. Jones' quickness is one of his strengths and I think Jeff will have trouble keeping up with him.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

eli#10 wrote:We are really going to miss Jarvis in this game next week. Last year he totally took Richmond's point guard out of the game as Jones did not score a point. Last year he averaged 14.7 points a game.
I think that as well as he played against UMass Jeff Dowtin will not come close to shutting down Jones like JG did last year. Jones' quickness is one of his strengths and I think Jeff will have trouble keeping up with him.
Yeah but healthy Jarvis and Jarvis of the last couple games are very different players. Javis eliminated Scoochie Smith last year at Dayton, and Schoochie made him look foolish 2 weeks ago.

I have a lot of faith between Dowtin and Stan running the point. They're certainly not healthy Jarvis level - but Stan was PG for the Cinci 2nd half comeback, and they did a hell of a job leading the comeback against a very good PG vs UMass.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Vegas comes out with Dayton over Richmond Thursday night by 11 points
RPI live has Dayton by 11.4 and 85% win probability
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:
eli#10 wrote:We are really going to miss Jarvis in this game next week. Last year he totally took Richmond's point guard out of the game as Jones did not score a point. Last year he averaged 14.7 points a game.
I have a lot of faith between Dowtin and Stan running the point. They're certainly not healthy Jarvis level - but Stan was PG for the Cinci 2nd half comeback, and they did a hell of a job leading the comeback against a very good PG vs UMass.
That's what kind of surprised me about last game, Stan played 14 minutes and Dowtin played 32. It's like Hurley forgot that Stan played point in our best half of basketball this season.

I'm not too familiar with any of Duquesne's players but I think Dowtin will have a real tough time in both the Richmond and SBU game if he's playing 30+ minutes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes Dayton will hand the Spiders their 1st conf loss
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Articles from Dayton Newspaper on the Dayton preparation for Richmond Thursday night:

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports ... wgkVnJ0FM/
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports ... G7TYtjlcM/

Probable Dayton starters
Scoochie Smith, 6-2, Sr., G, 13.5
Darrell Davis, 6-5, Jr., G, 5.1
Ryan Mikesell, 6-7, So., F, 7.2
Kendall Pollard, 6-6, Sr., F, 12.6
Charles Cooke, 6-5, Sr., G, 18.0

Probable Richmond starters
Khwan Fore, 6-0, So., G, 10.8
ShawnDre’ Jones, 6-0, Sr., G, 16.6
De’Monte Buckingham, 6-4, Fr., G, 9.6
Julius Johnson, 6-3, So., G, 5.9
T.J. Cline, 6-9, Sr., F, 17.9
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article from the Richmond Times-Dispatch on game tonight @ Dayton...

http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_ ... 8515f.html
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Four guards and only one starter taller than 6'4".....and they're getting it done.

Not too many tall front lines in the A10 makes that possible.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
That's what kind of surprised me about last game, Stan played 14 minutes and Dowtin played 32. It's like Hurley forgot that Stan played point in our best half of basketball this season.

I'm not too familiar with any of Duquesne's players but I think Dowtin will have a real tough time in both the Richmond and SBU game if he's playing 30+ minutes.
I think Dan just likes Stan coming off the bench in that sparkplug/defender/glue guy role TJ was in. Dan's always liked having that type of guy on his team so maybe the focus on defense and everything else would take away from running the offense? I honestly don't know the why but that seems like an answer that would make sense to me.

Dan has been usually slow to let players off the leash with playing time when they're new, but once they've earned it he throws them on the court full bore.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dan talked about Stan being in that 6th man role when they were both on the radio show this week.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Dan talked about Stan being in that 6th man role when they were both on the radio show this week.
That's right. It was a good interview with Stan this week and with also with Jeff Dowtin on the previous show
Steve asked Stan why he chose URI. He said when he landed at the Airport he was greeted by TJ, EC, X, Jarvis....and right away he felt family from the time he stepped off the plane. He felt the close knit of the team. Dan chimed in that the Coaches and Players are all good people of character. They have to be close and they have to love each other.
Steve asked him about his time at Indiana and he said he felt useless there. Steve called him a playmaker for URI and Stan agreed and valued the opportunity to contribute at URI. Comments were made about how he brings rebounding, defense and making shots for others by passing. Dan talked about how he is strong with his right and left hand and just scratching the surface, still on the climb. Dan said he sees a TJ Buchanan type quality in Stan.
Steve asked Stan what he did during the transfer year. Stan talked about how he worked on his shooting a lot with David Cox. He spent a lot of time in the gym working on repping his shooting form.
Interesting that Stan said he and Jeff went to the same HS when Jeff was a Freshman and then Jeff moved on to St John's College HS. Stan knew Jeff back home in Maryland.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Did Dowtin play with Fultz the pg at Washington ?? I just saw they are from Upper Marlboro
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

With URI steadily climbing the bubble, this is a huge stepping stone game. Plus theres 5 or so A10 teams with more conference wins then us. Still riding that UMASS win, lets goo.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote:With URI steadily climbing the bubble, this is a huge stepping stone game. Plus theres 5 or so A10 teams with more conference wins then us. Still riding that UMASS win, lets goo.
I don't disagree with your sentiment here but just want to point out that each of the four teams with more A10 wins than us have a game in hand compared to us. Only one team has fewer conference losses.

Big game. Gettable game. Let's get it.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

After looking at both of those line ups, Iverson should have his way.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They will zone us to death IMO, mainly because they really don't have anyone that can match up with Hass or KI on defensive end.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NEED this win.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The recipe for beating Richmond is as follows:
-Out tough them, out rebound them, out muscle them: they are a finesse team and don't excel in a physical environment.
-Shoot decently well: given the above they will have to protect the lane and the hoop and give up perimeter shooting.

If we do both of these well we should be able to escape with an 8-10 pt victory.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can't let Cline go all Alec Peters on us either.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

The other part of the recipe is to play better defense than we have of late. Our kenpom defensive numbers have really slipped in the last four games. We are now ranked #88 after being in the 40s (I believe) not too long ago. We were awful defensively against La Salle and we were just average against Duquesne, UMass, and Dayton. Against Duquesne we definitely showed periods of elite defense but not consistently. Part of why the defensive numbers didn't look so good against Duquesne is because we had such a big lead and eased off on the defensive intensity. Still, we need to play better defense. Keeping Hass healthy and out of foul trouble will go a long way to getting us back to an elite defensive team.

This team's calling card is it's defense. Hurley's teams are known for their defense. But right now we are playing defense on par with teams like Buffalo, Robert Morris, Winthrop, and Boise St when we should be playing defense more like Xavier, Butler, SMU and VCU.

Interestingly, the offensive numbers have been very good since the start of conference play. After 6 conference games, we have the best offensive numbers in the league. Our offense is now ranked #34 in the country.

If we can continue the excellent offensive play and get back to being an elite defensive team we will be very difficult to beat down the stretch.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Shocking we have the 34th ranked offense given that we still don't run the picket fence.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

bigappleram wrote:The recipe for beating Richmond is as follows:
-Out tough them, out rebound them, out muscle them: they are a finesse team and don't excel in a physical environment.
-Shoot decently well: given the above they will have to protect the lane and the hoop and give up perimeter shooting.

If we do both of these well we should be able to escape with an 8-10 pt victory.
May I respectfully add; make our free throws at an above average %, and make them late in the contest....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It looked like we had solved our FT issues...until a few games ago when it went south and has remained there....we were OK against Duquesne though but we need to pick it up.

We are going to play several close games down the stretch.....absolutely critical to make them.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RoadyJay wrote:The other part of the recipe is to play better defense than we have of late. Our kenpom defensive numbers have really slipped in the last four games. We are now ranked #88 after being in the 40s (I believe) not too long ago. We were awful defensively against La Salle and we were just average against Duquesne, UMass, and Dayton. Against Duquesne we definitely showed periods of elite defense but not consistently. Part of why the defensive numbers didn't look so good against Duquesne is because we had such a big lead and eased off on the defensive intensity. Still, we need to play better defense. Keeping Hass healthy and out of foul trouble will go a long way to getting us back to an elite defensive team.

This team's calling card is it's defense. Hurley's teams are known for their defense. But right now we are playing defense on par with teams like Buffalo, Robert Morris, Winthrop, and Boise St when we should be playing defense more like Xavier, Butler, SMU and VCU.

Interestingly, the offensive numbers have been very good since the start of conference play. After 6 conference games, we have the best offensive numbers in the league. Our offense is now ranked #34 in the country.

If we can continue the excellent offensive play and get back to being an elite defensive team we will be very difficult to beat down the stretch.

Offense is way more fun to watch...goooo OFFENSE! Score the basketball (whatever that means... :lol: :lol: )
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Need EC and Jared to drain that 3 ball if they zone us
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reef wrote:Did Dowtin play with Fultz the pg at Washington ?? I just saw they are from Upper Marlboro
No, they actually played against each other frequently at rivals schools. Fultz went to DeMatha, Dowtin attended St. John's, so they played each other 2-3 times a year and competed in the championship game their respective last seasons in high school.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:Need EC and Jared to drain that 3 ball if they zone us
The last few games have seen a resurgence from EC. Tomorrow I'm looking for Jared to reassert himself and get back on track.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That would be nice.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote:
reef wrote:Need EC and Jared to drain that 3 ball if they zone us
The last few games have seen a resurgence from EC. Tomorrow I'm looking for Jared to reassert himself and get back on track.

If we win with Jared taking a step back like he has, so be it.

Need W's.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Uh, right. I don't think anyone cares who does or doesn't have a good game if you win. But I don't believe the team will be able to go on the type of run they need to go on without their best player playing well. I'm glad they won the last two games without him scoring much and he is good enough to find other ways to help, but you can't have a passive Jared for the next two months and expect to be where you want at the end, IMO. So that's why I want to see him get back on track, not because I've attached some personal significance to Jared taking a certain number of shots.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It would be nice if EC and JT could feed off each other and both score....but it seems to not be working out that way for some reason.

Like 15 said, whatever works.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sorry, but there's no way Terrell should be taking 4 shots in a game.
He's our best driver, and great in the open floor.
It's been long noted that he and EC seldom have a good game
at the same time.
While Terrell contributes his usual good floor game,
there's no reason why he should make his offense suffer,
because EC is taking the lion's share of the shots.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry, but there's no way Terrell should be taking 4 shots in a game.
He's our best driver, and great in the open floor.
It's been long noted that he and EC seldom have a good game
at the same time.
While Terrell contributes his usual good floor game,
there's no reason why he should make his offense suffer,
because EC is taking the lion's share of the shots.
Agreed, they need to find a balance somehow. Terrell started out the first 5 minutes or so of the last game being very aggressive and I made a comment in the game thread about how that was the guy we needed to see more of. Then he disappeared for the most part.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just poke around a bit on the Richmond board, they aren't too confident that they'll win, I agree.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah Jared drove to the basket what one time? At the beginning of the game. Scored and didn't really drive in again.
That dude is practically unstoppable driving to the hoop. He'll score, get fouled, and he may draw a couple defenders, so if he misses, Hass or whoever may have a good chance to get an offensive rebound.
Aggression is the key.
EC and JT playing well together will make us reaaally good.
1 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

We are 1 for 6 in "quality win" opportunities, lets see if we can close this one out.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We've already beat four teams better than Richmond (Cincy, Belmont, UMass and St Joes) so I don't know where where you are getting that from (although I think maybe your mistake is overrating Richmond). We should win this game, it won't be easy because it's a road conference game against a real team, but this isn't a team in the same class as Houston or Valpo.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

5 losses: Duke, Valpo, PC, Houston, and Dayton.

1 win: Cincy.

St. Joes is better than Richmond? Maybe the way we play at St. Joes......with a little ref help.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I understand what the 1 of 6 is. I don't understand what Richmond has to do with that. Richmond will finish the season as a less impressive win than any of the teams I mentioned above, aside from being on the road.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Richmond has 3 very winnable home games after us. Their A10 record will end up better than St. Joes or UMass unless they completely fall apart, which I don't think they will.

So while they may falter a bit later on, they will still be a better win than the other two. Of course we have had serious trouble beating those two on the road.

We just need more road wins. Of any kind.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The bye week kind of broke right for URI so far. Needed that week to get some things ironed out and to get guys healthy.

Missing Jarvis, but its also important that Martin got that rest week, EC got that rest week, Thompson has to get himself right.

Lets make a run!

Anybody wondering if Langevine will get better at anything down the stretch? Besides being the best rebounder we have had in 17 years.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK, let's try this a different way. All of the teams I mentioned currently have a better RPI than Richmond and are projected to finish with a better RPI than Richmond. Richmond's A10 record is more a reflection of their schedule than their quality.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Does anybody know if JG made the trip to Richmond?

If not, I don't see him back any time soon. Also wonder just when this health issue started.

TP, so I guess we should win this one easy?

Put it this way...Richmond is considerably better than the two teams that we have beaten on the road so far.

I expect us to win this game too...but nothing is a sure thing here.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree that it could be a tough game. As I said, it's a conference road game against a real team. I just wouldn't lump it in with the "quality teams" against whom we've gone 1-6 because we have four wins already against team better than Richmond. All I'm saying.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I agree. URI needs to win the game. We have had Richmond's #. Continue.. .
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry