Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Re: Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

RF1 wrote:There were comments by some to throw out the LaSalle game performance as it was just one bad game and outlier. My problem with that logic was that unfortunately that would not be the only really bad performance as this team likely had a few more in them. Last night was one of them.

This team is probably not a top four team in a down A-10. The league may not be very good but Rhody is not very good as well. I see a mid pack team that will win 10-11 conference games which is far below what is needed for the NCAA. This team and staff were very overrated. They do not have the talent, drive, desire, attitude, or coaching acumen for success at an NCAA type team level. They are not bad but not great. They are slightly above mediocre. It is what it is - another year without an NCAA invite. You have to begin to question the wisdom of all the money spent on men's hoops in Kingston given the lack of results (NCAA). We might as well compete in the America East if never going to the tournament is ok.

Key word in this, to me, is desire! They do not see to have any desire, do not seem hungry at all. They seem like Team that is going through the motions. No spark! It is rather pathetic in my opinion. The talent is there but something is very amiss.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We've got one poster saying we won't even make the NIT at this pace. Not that any of us should care about whether we make it or not, but that just shows a complete ignorance of college basketball nationally. Then we've got RF1 throwing up his "we should be in the America East" line. We really are a terrible fan base.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Believe it or not, that game last night bothered me less than many of the other losses. 2-19 from three, missed layups everywhere, foul shots. The ball just didn't go in the hoop and not for lack of ok-ish opportunities.

The only thing I hope come from this is DH finally gets his head out of his ass and starts putting the press on more frequently, starts mixing in a zone here and there. However, why would we change when what he has been doing has not been working.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Running Ram wrote:let's start running polls on what excuses we'll hear over the next few days
I think we will hear some/all of these....."we were not ready to play......it is on me and the coaches to turn this around......we will look at the tape......we need better play from the veteran players/guards.....can't dig ourselves big holes to start games on the road......it is hard to win on the road in this conference.....we have to get better......we will go to work on Bona......we are letting opportunities to get good wins go by in the conference.....gotta give Richmond credit.....we have to make free throws......and finally; it is really really hard to get to our Super Bowl....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I'm ashamed.

I knew that g-------d Princeton offense would give us fits. We made things worse by biting on every fake and losing men on picks away from the ball. But I never expected their defense to speed us up so much. Every shot seemed rushed, every pass looked rushed, ballhandlers careened into traffic. To borrow the words of a crusty old Canadian hockey coach, our guys looked like a bunch of dogs chasing a bitch in heat.
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Eyeball test last night said that Richmond isn't very talented. So what is the problem with this team? Are we overrating the talent that is there or is there something else that lurks in them? A fear of failure? A fear of their coach? Are the same issues that Plagued Danny's career affecting his coaching and his team?
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Richmond might not be overly talented, but they play as a team. We don't.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

There is something off with this team. They just dont have IT. There is no creativity on the floor at all.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:Eyeball test last night said that Richmond isn't very talented. So what is the problem with this team? Are we overrating the talent that is there or is there something else that lurks in them? A fear of failure? A fear of their coach? Are the same issues that Plagued Danny's career affecting his coaching and his team?

All legitimate observations and questions. Richmond is not a good team. Certainly not to the point they should be blowing our doors off .Especially after the awful performance 2 weeks ago. A performance that some described as inevitable, it happens to every team. If that logic is accurate, how often is this supposed to happen to team during the course of the season? Much of my frustration certainly comes from my original opinion of this team. I personally way overrated this team. Perhaps , these performances, that will lead to yet another year of waiting, is a blessing in disguise. Imagine if somehow we did make the tournament, and imagine if we ran into a team like UCLA, Purdue, Kentucky and had a performance like last night? Believe it or not, there are actually teams out there, not including the top 10 teams, that are actually a little better than Richmond and actually have players that are over 6'4".

And this is nothing personal at all. I like the kids on this team a lot and they appear to represent the school very well. But on the court, there is something very wrong and someone has to take the blame.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
FroggyTheFan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by FroggyTheFan »

It seems to me that this team doesn't have an emotional leader to rely on. There are other problems, but they lack an alpha that will make a big play or get on his teammates to inspire them. They seemed very discouraged early after some silly turnovers and missed layups. After that they couldn't seem to rally or get any confidence back. Missed free throws didn't help...

Now to offset my negativity, I'm hoping they can regain some swagger when the roster is healthy. Maybe get hot in the A10 tournament. Anything is possible!
2 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

*Cue Kevin Garnett* Anything is possible!!
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

BPR2010 wrote:Also, did anyone catch Dan and Mooney exchanging (seemed like unpleasant) words with each other in the handshake line? Probably much ado about nothing, but would love to know what was said. Reminded me of the Turgeon situation last year...
Dan was raging. Why fight with the refs about going on the court? If they say, 'back up,' you say, 'yup, sorry.' He was obviously pissed about the game, but I yelled more than once to shut up and coach the fucking team.
Not sure if he said something in the line, obviously. But Mooney clearly said, 'get back here Danny, I'm not done with you.' Could it have been to compliment him or say something about the non-flagrant? Or the refs?
I guess...but it didn't look friendly.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan isn't making many friends among coaching circles......nothing new....the kinder gentler DH of earlier this season is fading as the frustrations mount.

I mean all coaches have their moments, but ours is having too many moments.....and people have long memories.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I believe it was nearly consensus that we needed to go 15-3 in the A10 to secure an at-large without winning the A10 tourney. While technically that option is still alive...it is highly unlikely. Which means winning the A10 is now our only realistic option for making the dance...and from what I have seen so far...I don't like those odds. These are truly dark days for the program, with no light at the end of the tunnel at this point.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:As bad as last night was, it's nice to see people on here trying to match the suck on the court. We've got one poster saying we won't even make the NIT at this pace. Not that any of us should give a shit about whether we make it or not, but that just shows a complete ignorance of college basketball nationally. Then we've got RF1 throwing up his "we should be in the America East" line. We really are a terrible fan base.
Rhowdy, go eat a bag of dicks you irritated bowel

you think this board sucks, go spend your time somewhere else.

you think we are a terrible fan base, follow another team.

I'm so tired of you clowns calling posters morons, dumb, terrible, nutjobs, crazy, etc. etc.

you can all go fuck yourselves. Some of you (not you Rhowdy doucheface) I used to respect, but I've read too many insults and too much belittling and frankly I'm quite pissed off about it.

To this point those of us willing to question the coaching have been discussing the team, the program, the admin, etc. not attacking posters that don't agree with us.

But as you can see I'm done with you dickfaces trying to shame people for having their opinions. You don't like reading my opinion, go fuck yourself. You think I sound stupid, go fuck yourself. You think you have something on me as a fan because I can imagine a scenario where we don't get invited to the NIT's this year, go fuck yourself. Are you picking up on any pattern here? you can all go fuck yourselves!!!

For the record, I didn't say we wouldn't get invited to the NIT or that I expected us to fall that far off, I said "at this rate" which indicates we are moving towards that, in the wrong direction, not that we are that.
7 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ah, Runnin Ram, one of my most favorite posters!
+100
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:As bad as last night was, it's nice to see people on here trying to match the suck on the court. We've got one poster saying we won't even make the NIT at this pace. Not that any of us should give a shit about whether we make it or not, but that just shows a complete ignorance of college basketball nationally. Then we've got RF1 throwing up his "we should be in the America East" line. We really are a terrible fan base.

I'm so tired of you clowns calling posters morons, dumb, terrible, nutjobs, crazy, etc. etc.

you can all go fuck yourselves. Some of you (not you Rhowdy doucheface) I used to respect, but I've read too many insults and too much belittling and frankly I'm quite pissed off about it.

To this point those of us willing to question the coaching have been discussing the team, the program, the admin, etc. not attacking posters that don't agree with us.

But as you can see I'm done with you dickfaces trying to shame people for having their opinions. You don't like reading my opinion, go fuck yourself. You think I sound stupid, go fuck yourself. You think you have something on me as a fan because I can imagine a scenario where we don't get invited to the NIT's this year, go fuck yourself. Are you picking up on any pattern here? you can all go fuck yourselves!!!

For the record, I didn't say we wouldn't get invited to the NIT or that I expected us to fall that far off, I said "at this rate" which indicates we are moving towards that, in the wrong direction, not that we are that.

^Agree with RR, but maybe with a few less expletives. I still think there's a shot at NCAAT, but you have to also admit (and hate to)...this year's 'rate'...ain't that much different from last year's 'rate'...and where was this team during the NCAA and NIT last year..?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Not only is the team coming apart but so too is the fan base. This is like a train going off the tracks.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The fan base train is off the tracks...but, it's a crafty and resilient group, just like the crew from the Fast and Furious movies (remember that scene where they're stealing the cars off the train?) - some of the best flicks of all time. Thank goodness they're making three more...the first 7 just left SO many unanswered questions... just like all the games that have happened so far this year...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Did you see Tommy Izzo say he don't care what the fan base thinks ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR is one of my fav posters too...great job telling them off!
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Myself, Rod and Bone have disagreed on many things and have agreed on many things, you won't catch any of us attacking a poster without provocation.

I threw a shot over Rods bow long ago in defense of CFL on the Projo board, he eviscerated me for attacking him personally and I deserved it, he also asked several very poignant questions about expectations, results, game management, basically he asked me to answer the tough questions directly without getting my back up in defense of JB, which at the time I had a tendency to do. I did answer them and apologized for the personal nature of my comments toward him because I started the fracas without provocation, I did so because I liked JB personally, met him briefly and he was kind to some guy, me, just some average fan, I really, really wanted him to break through and get some of those teams to the NCAA's. When I answered Rod's questions directly I came to a minor realization about my personal biases. I definitely had my concerns about JB's game coaching, but kept telling myself he would adapt, again because I liked him. In the end though I wanted more for this program than yearly bubble conversations.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think if things don't improve on this board, that the mods should step in and start handing out "vacations" for those who tend to personally attack other posters for their opinions.

It's perfectly fine to disagree about things, but when it gets personal it crosses the line.

Show some respect for others. Like ramster for instance...he can and does disagree with my opinions sometimes...but he does so WITH RESPECT...and I respect him for it. Treat others like you would want to be treated.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......FWIT; I could do without the personal attacks and F bombs....don't know what the mods role is in that, if any.....maybe more self discipline by some posters....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

X
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Ah, Runnin Ram, one of my most favorite posters!
+100
I've finally figured you out after all these years. You don't evaluate the job of a coach based on how they're doing on the court, you evaluate it based on how much they talk to you. Harrick and Dan at the beginning of his tenure talked to you, so you loved them. Baron and Hurley now don't talk to you, so you hate them. It's funny the last 24 hours how complimentary of Baron you've been, you've said more nice things about him these last 24 hours then you did the whole time he was here and not talking to you. It's also why you love Preston so much, because he talks to you all the time.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Running Ram wrote:

^Agree with RR, but maybe with a few less expletives. I still think there's a shot at NCAAT, but you have to also admit (and hate to)...this year's 'rate'...ain't that much different from last year's 'rate'...and where was this team during the NCAA and NIT last year..?
That's funny, last year I had a post like this and you begged moderators to ban me, this year when someone does it you just think they should tone it down a little more. Fraud much?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:Myself, Rod and Bone have disagreed on many things and have agreed on many things, you won't catch any of us attacking a poster without provocation.
You guys provoke it just as much, if not more so. You just can't take it. Sensitive little snowflakes needing a safe space.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I think if things don't improve on this board, that the mods should step in and start handing out "vacations" for those who tend to personally attack other posters for their opinions.

It's perfectly fine to disagree about things, but when it gets personal it crosses the line.

Show some respect for others. Like ramster for instance...he can and does disagree with my opinions sometimes...but he does so WITH RESPECT...and I respect him for it. Treat others like you would want to be treated.
You attack and name call all the time, should they give you a vacation? Rod liked this post, and he attacks and name calls all the time, should he be given a vacation?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! FIVE posts in a row of nothing but psycho-babble.
So, I just like people because they talk to me? Oh.
I've known Preston since he was here as a player.
Since you don't know why I've estranged myself from the basketball
staff, I suggest you STFU.
As for CFL, I never liked him and never tried to speak to him.
Stick to being a fan of mediocrity and status quo.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Actually, unless you lied to me in a private message, I know exactly why you're estranged from the basketball program.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well then, you should understand my reasons.
Being accused of something I never said, and not having anyone get my side of
the story, leaves me with a very bitter taste.
If it happened to you, I'm sure you'd feel the same as I do.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is Rhowdy now in charge of this forum?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Good God if only I was.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Good God if only I was.
I know. You'd be talking to yourself.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And it would be the best, most intelligent conversation this board has seen in ages
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:And it would be the best, most intelligent conversation this board has seen in ages
Of course it would. It would be due to your extremely pleasant personality.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Actually I'm one of the most pleasant people on here. I'm a ray of friggen sunshine compared to you pack of Eeyores.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Running Ram wrote:
go eat a bag of dicks you irritated bowel
Internet post of the century........

:)
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah, last century. That's hardly original.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

All the angst is nothing compared to how I feel about missed layups.....

(and free throws but they at least are 15' from the rim)

and stubborn refusal to show different looks on defense because your father told you real men only play man to man......

There I went and said it.

Positive sign? We used a zone press and we mixed it up and showed different looks with it.

So we got that going for us......
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The way I see it, if you wouldn't say it in person, to the person, then you shouldn't post it. I have to admit I may have strayed once or twice though!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Running Ram wrote:

That's funny, last year I had a post like this and you begged moderators to ban me, this year when someone does it you just think they should tone it down a little more. Fraud much?
I'd call it desensitization and reality setting in, rather than fraud, but feel free to apply your own label. I still think folks that throw up that kind of profanity should be excused from the board and, yes, I made that known more than once last year. But, I also learned that the moderators are going to handle that the way they want to, not the way I want to...and until/unless I become a moderator, what I think is appropriate doesn't really matter, does it? (Well, 'cept it seems to matter to you, glad you care ;) )

Plus...according to the HuffPost (and if it's in there, it must be true, right?)...looks like smart people use more profanity..

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/27 ... 13206.html
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I think if things don't improve on this board, that the mods should step in and start handing out "vacations" for those who tend to personally attack other posters for their opinions.

You attack and name call all the time, should they give you a vacation? Rod liked this post, and he attacks and name calls all the time, should he be given a vacation?
RR2, bullshit......I only react to people who attack me first.......I have never started trashing anybody without provocation....of course you make things up as you go along, so it's a waste of time trying to talk any sense into you.

How could anybody just sit there and take your baseless crap? You dish it out, but you can't take it. Tough shit.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Yeah UCH, I agree, so I invite dickless rhowdy douchenozzle to meet up at the mews so I can say it all to his face. I might add that he's a scumbag pudding fucker. I have approximately 1500 posts all archived here so it's easy enough to find out how often I've attacked another member for stating an opinion, you'll find plenty of differing opinions but you won't find me attacking without provocation. So, when I say to certain people "go fuck yourselves" that's exactly what I mean.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on guys let's get along !!!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I've been trying to get along, I've been trying to ignore the personal attacks, I'll do a better job of turning the other cheek for you reef, I'll try to tone it down in case some of us are worried about our censorship ratings, I guess we don't want an R rated site. Maybe doo doo head can try to stick to debating instead of attacking and maybe Mr. F bomb himself will come down from on high and his expletive rants can go back to being something inspirational instead of rants that attack and alienate other board members and maybe even mild mannered adam will provide counterpoints without calling someone or other a moron or insulting our whole fan base. Several people have been throwing shots at myself and others all season long and yeah I'm sick of it, but i also refuse to go away as some would have. If mods won't put an end to the personal attacks thrown about with casual ease by the posters they are in line with, then they have no right to say a word here, and they have not. To the contrary, TP quotes someone in another thread containing an insulting attack and ignores the attack and treats the post as legit. TP personally has toned down the attacks but it hasn't influenced others to do so. So, I'll chop the fbombs but I stand by my sentiments.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, it's a real shame that some have been basically run off this board by the holier than thou bunch.....

To their great chagrin, you and I and hopefully others will not be intimidated.........they don't like what we say or how we say it or how often we say it.....too f'n bad.

The bottom line...if Dan the Hype Hurley doesn't get his act together and get us to the dance and soon....he will be fired......

And I don't think there's a chance in hell he does it....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

X
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can we get this on video?
0 x