Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The press should be mixed in for 40 minutes.

Zone press, man switch it up.

We need to start firing threes here and crash the boards.

We got no calls from zebras tonight....at least 20 blown layups and brick laying at foul line....

Tough to win
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhody15 wrote:We are a pathetic excuse of a basketball team.

Can everyone please shut up about expected RPI, the Cincy win, we have a lot of talent, picking wins the rest of the season, etc.

We are not good.

Richmond isn't anything special whatsoever and we look awful.
Tired of hearing about our "talent", its about as overrated as our coach. If we have such good talent we should win despite our coach.
Last edited by Shinze88 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

giovanni wrote:How bad is Richmond? And we are never in game.

Not as bad as us...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

They didn't stop the clock after the made basket.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Practice should be a 2 hour fucking layup line
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The players change...the losses keep adding up.....

Next year we lose our 2 best inside players......can't blame KI on this one.....Hassan is a real head scratcher tonight.

Take a nap for 30 minutes, then make a futile rally.....do enough to lose.

Didn't realize we were THAT bad from the FT line....for a supposedly talented D1 team that is absolutely disgraceful.

What are we after tonight? 50% from the line in A10 play?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think Harrick with this team might be in a different situation right now.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

just enough time to pass up a few threes...i mean, like the announcers always say, 'don't need a three here'
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:Practice should be a 2 hour fucking layup line
What good does it do, BM? Same for FT's....we practice them and make them in practice according to Dan.

We are horrid under pressure. Mental midgets.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Embarrassed to be a fan of this team. No heart. Maniac coach that is way over his head..keep playing all these guards that can't shoot or handle the ball .keep playing the same defense until its too late.. This team has no balls. Other teams improve. We fade every year.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:just enough time to pass up a few threes...i mean, like the announcers always say, 'don't need a three here'
Two wide open ones with your feet set? Have to take that. HAVE TO MAKE THAT.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

KI 23 boards!!!!!!
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Why not trap during a game we are in? We are long and athletic. Why wait til we are down 20
2 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

It is mind boggling to me that a team that returned an entire starting lineup (sans EC b/c of injury) and the talent level of experienced upperclassmen plays this awful. The careless turnovers, missed layups, FT shooting, lack of energy is something that just isn't acceptable of players with this much experience at the college level. The excuses were fine in Dan's first couple of years, but when you finally have YOUR guys in here that have played together with significant minutes, the majority of the blame falls on the coach and his staff. This Jekkyl and Hyde thing that's going on with these guys where they simply don't show up to games and look completely out of it from the opening tip isn't something that an upperclassmen led team with this much talent should perform like.

Also, for the life of me, why do we only put on the full court trapping press in desperation??? I know it's taxing on the team, but why not mix it in for 3-4 minute spurts when the game is still actually competitive? I'm not saying Havoc or 40 minutes of hell, but mix it up a little if it works.

This is not a tournament caliber team. Our A-10 wins are over Duquesne, Joes, St. Louis, and Umass. All trash teams. All bottom feeders. Need to catch fire, yet again, in the conference tourney.

I've bit my tongue all year and didn't want to give up hope but after tonight's showing, I can't help it anymore. We look like world beaters against crap teams, and simply look lost and overmatched against even semi-good teams. Cinci was a longgggggg time ago, and isn't going to carry us to the tournament with repeated games like these.
Last edited by BPR2010 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Honestly don't even know what to say anymore...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

Our stubbornness to switch defenses and missed bunnies lost this. Man to man all the time with a poor man to man team is baffling. There may be two available tix for Sat game!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......went to the UConn vs USF in Tampa tonite......I did not think I was "scouting" an NIT potential match up.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Gotta give credit to Dan for calling a timeout with 28 seconds in the 1st half, for no reason, but makes him look like he has an idea, and to complain about a technical with 14 seconds left. I was told year ago that a coach that complains to no end and in explicable situations , is attempting to deflect they have no idea what they are doing.......Dan Hurley
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Our players don't have any ice in their veins.. more like lukewarm water
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What is up with Dowtin? Horrible....2-10 from the field tonight....and 0-9 from the FT line his last 3 games....incredible.....if that's not mental I don't know what is.

Just think...he's got 3 more years to fuck his game up here.

2010, in Dan's first 3 years here, his teams ALWAYS played hard, if not always smart......

At least they had that. Now, they don't even have that anymore.

We thought that the LaSalle game was an aberration. After this, it's a very disturbing trend.

And Dan will sit there at the next coach's show...and have no answers...except to say, "it's on me"....which says absolutely nothing except that he doesn't have a clue.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

hrstrat57 wrote:KI 21 boards!!!!!!
Iverson was awful tonight (again), how many times did a player 5 inches shorter than him block his shot? careless with the ball, 5 TO's.
He was rebounding against a bunch of dwarfs, he's soft as can be, cant wait until he's gone, biggest disappointment to wear a Ram uniform in a long time.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

WE SUCK! Hurley has lost this team. They look lost in the court and he looks lost on the sidelines. Can the season just end now...
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ya gotta give it to KI for the 23 rebounds though.
This was the last straw for me.
Unless they win a bunch of games in a row I'm not paying attention. They're a mess.
It's really sad.
Shameful.
Hope a miracle happens.
1 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

giovanni wrote:Gotta give credit to Dan for calling a timeout with 28 seconds in the 1st half, for no reason, but makes him look like he has an idea, and to complain about a technical with 14 seconds left. I was told year ago that a coach that complains to no end and in explicable situations , is attempting to deflect they have no idea what they are doing.......Dan Hurley
Pretty sure that was the "use it or lose it" TO. All coaches do it if they haven't used their timeout in the first half. I do agree with you on the Tech at the end of the game. No idea what he was complaining about, certainly wasn't officiating that lost this game tonight.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan's refusal to play zone is simply unacceptable at this level. If you can't or won't change things up to throw opponents off balance, their coaches will figure you out in no time and that's what's happening here.

When we play with energy and aggression we can cover up some of these issues...when we don't, it gets real ugly real fast, especially when they can't make a layup or FT.....
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BPR2010 wrote:
giovanni wrote:Gotta give credit to Dan for calling a timeout with 28 seconds in the 1st half, for no reason, but makes him look like he has an idea, and to complain about a technical with 14 seconds left. I was told year ago that a coach that complains to no end and in explicable situations , is attempting to deflect they have no idea what they are doing.......Dan Hurley
Pretty sure that was the "use it or lose it" TO. All coaches do it if they haven't used their timeout in the first half. I do agree with you on the Tech at the end of the game. No idea what he was complaining about, certainly wasn't officiating that lost this game tonight.
When was the last time it was said that Rhody coach "outcoached" the other guy?
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, we're sure as hell not a top 25 team.
Showed some fight to cut it to single digits,
but the damage was already done.
Some atrocious shooting from EC, Terrell, Martin and Dowtin.
Iverson an amazing 23 rebounds, including 11 offensive rebounds.
He has become the best URI rebounder since ARD.
Can't believe anyone would knock him for his game, given
the shit show around him.
18 turnovers and 8-20 free throws in inexcusable.
So, time to forget the "bracketology" thread.
Onkly shot it to win the A-10 tournament.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

This team as usual showed its true colors in a game they needed to win. They are mentally soft.
They have no confidence and struggle mightily under any type of adversity. Once they get far enough
behind in a tough game, then they can begin to play because they have relieved themselves of the
pressure, knowing that they cannot win the game. It was almost an exact duplicate of the LASALLE
debacle. They played that game and again in this one like they hadn't slept in a week. Balls slip from
their hands. Easy layups are flipped up tentatively and roll off the rim. It has to be a lack of confidence
because as soon as they were able to roll a little bit in the final 6-8 minutes they were able t finish
point blank layups and put backs that they had missed all night long. I see no hope for any NCAA
appearance for this group and they won't deserve one either. They have convinced me. I don't have
any confidence in them either. Play out the rest of the season and get it over with. I will try to
enjoy the games anyway as meaningless as they will be . It hurts to say all of this, but it is the truth.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PRT, there are no miracles here. Just the sad reality of another lost season......

And next season, and the season after that....

Who gives a flying fuck who Dan recruits? None of them will make layups, they will suck at the line......and they will stand around and watch others dribble until there's 5 seconds on the shot clock....that's a few things you can count on going forward as long as this coach remains here.

My God, did Baron's teams ever look this bad, except during his last season?

Rod, we're not even a top 50, maybe not even top 75. The Cincy game must have been alternate fact-like.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

BPR2010 wrote:
It wasn't. We had three timeouts left when he called it so then we had two to start the second half. It was a completely useless timeout to call but doesn't really matter now...
1 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

josephski wrote:
BPR2010 wrote:
It wasn't. We had three timeouts left when he called it so then we had two to start the second half. It was a completely useless timeout to call but doesn't really matter now...
Ahh my bad, lost attention quite a bit during this dumpster fire of a game.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

In the "Can you believe it?" department..........

Statistically this was one of our better defensive efforts this season. You may say how? Richmond scored 73 points.. Yes, but that was on 83 possessions! That's just .88 points per possession which is very good.

However, we combined that defensive performance with one of our worst offensive efforts. It was our 11th worst offensive effort in the last 16 seasons. Hard to think there were 10 worse than this one.. But that's 11th worst out of ~500 games in 16 seasons. Our worst offensive performance since Hurley's first season (that was a bad team). It was so bad that our kenpom offensive efficiency rankings dropped nearly 20 spots, from 34th to 53rd in the country.

Just an odd, horrible, ugly game.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, in the "eye test" dept., Stevie Wonder thought it looked great......
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

yep, on to SB...which is really just "BS" spelled backwards...

Win that one, beat GW...and then my kid and I are off to Davidson to watch Hurls outcoach Bob McKillop.
Hey, it could happen...right? Who's with me?!?!? (cue John Belushi/Animal House)
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Well, in the "eye test" dept., Stevie Wonder thought it looked great......
^...beautiful :lol:
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I can't even fully explain how disappointed I am...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 things to say:

Coaches Show at Mews is tomorrow night, Thursday Jan 26th

Iverson got the most rebounds for a URI player since Feb 15, 1968 or 49 years ago. 6th most rebounds in a game ever for URI. Only 3 players have had more rebounds in a game than Iverson.

University of Rhode Island - Most Rebounds
Game
28, Art Stephenson vs. Brown, Feb. 20, 1968
26, Gary Koenig vs. Miami, Jan. 3, 1962
25, Art Stephenson vs. New Hampshire, Feb. 15, 68
24, Gary Koenig vs. New Hampshire, Feb. 19, 1960
24, Bill Von Weyhe vs. Maine, Feb. 21, 1957
23, Kuran Iverson vs Richmond, Jan. 25, 2017
22, Art Stephenson vs. Boston College, Feb. 14, 1967
21, Art Stephenson vs. Maine, Dec. 10, 1966
20, Mergin Sina vs. U.S. International, Jan. 10, 1989
20, Abu Bakr vs. Boston University, Dec. 7, 1971
19, Eight players (Last - Kahiem Seawright vs. Houston, Nov. 13, 2006)
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:I can't even fully explain how disappointed I am...
I know, 'it's hard', but you can do it... :lol:
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Yes, but it'll take too long, and nobody really wants to read it.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

let's start running polls on what excuses we'll hear over the next few days
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, that's the lone bright spot...about KI's rebounding.

I wonder if we set a URI record for missed layups?

How about our FT shooting since conference play started....barely over 50%..........is that a record.....

So many records...of the wrong kind.....
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

How does one get 23 rebounds? You play in a game with 672 missed shots.

That sound you hear is taps blowing.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I can't personally recall ever seeing a basketball game at any level with more missed layups.

Seen a lotta games I promise.

I wonder if anyone is going to be brave enough to watch that mess again and count them....

I'd guess 25
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Kuran obviously had a ton of rebounds to go with a bunch of turnovers....5 to be exact. E.C. had 4 and Jared had an unexpected 4. Can't win games when guys aren't smart with the ball.
Wow! I really wish I had been wrong about this team. I really wanted them to improve, but I guess it really is just the same old same old stuff.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're at the point where it doesn't matter how or why we lost...there are usually different reasons every game.

It's just that we lost another big game. Again.
1 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Also, did anyone catch Dan and Mooney exchanging (seemed like unpleasant) words with each other in the handshake line? Probably much ado about nothing, but would love to know what was said. Reminded me of the Turgeon situation last year...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I did see that something must have happened as DH is usually gracious with the opposing HC

Jeez that was ugly we are pathetic
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

at this rate we won't get an NIT bid. Something has to change ASAP, if we don't seize the opportunity to get Martin and Mathews to the NCAA tourney, diminishing recruiting clout is further diminished.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There were comments by some to throw out the LaSalle game performance as it was just one bad game and outlier. My problem with that logic was that unfortunately that would not be the only really bad performance as this team likely had a few more in them. Last night was one of them.

This team is probably not a top four team in a down A-10. The league may not be very good but Rhody is not very good as well. I see a mid pack team that will win 10-11 conference games which is far below what is needed for the NCAA. This team and staff were very overrated. They do not have the talent, drive, desire, attitude, or coaching acumen for success at an NCAA type team level. They are not bad but not great. They are slightly above mediocre. It is what it is - another year without an NCAA invite. You have to begin to question the wisdom of all the money spent on men's hoops in Kingston given the lack of results (NCAA). We might as well compete in the America East if never going to the tournament is ok.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Think Dan says it was "really hard" to get to the coaches show tonight because of traffic and just bails on going?
1 x
Go Rhody