Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 19: @ Richmond, Wednesday Jan 25, 8pm CBSSN

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's a win we have to have. And the fact that we are favored by 3 and not 12 tells me it will be no cakewalk.

If it's close, which I think it will be, we have to close it out. Not an easy task for us.

I would rather we play well enough to win by double digits, and avoid the agita that usually comes with a close game.

But at some point we have to prove that we can win these games fairly consistently....and not just one time [Cincy].

And before anybody mentions the UMass win, we made it unnessarily close at the end by choking at the line....
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Not to mention Richmond runs that g-------d Princeton offense. We have a propensity for giving up the baseline as it is -- if we don't fix that Richmond can make us look silly.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RPI live expected has:

URI 38.7
Richmond 127.6

For the game:
URI favored by 4.7 points with 66% probability of winning at Richmond
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:Gorhody game preview,

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2016 ... 0124peuy2p
Am I missing something in the "Alternative facts you can't live without" section?

-"Approximately 1.5 million tickets have been sold for Rhode Island's next home game vs. St. Bonaventure on Jan. 28"

-"Hassan Martin needs seven more points to pass LSU's Pete Maravich (3,667 points) to become the NCAA career scoring leader."
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That's awesome. Laprey having fun
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Key words "alternative facts"

Or how Kelly Ann Conway has enabled George Orwell's "1984" to be currently #5 on Amazon's Book List
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are currently living in a "truth is stranger than fiction" world.......we have truly entered.....the Twilight Zone.

Or how about the quote from the pig in Orwell's "Animal Farm"....."Here everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others"......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I like this one the best: Rhode Island is 12-0 when outscoring its opponent and 6-0 when it does not
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's bass ackward at it's best.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Am I pessimistic or realistic if I predict URI to lose this one? I've set the expectation bar low.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Alternative facts is my new favorite meme.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice article EC turning the corner shooting over 50 % in conf nice
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obviously massive game. Win and we're in a 4 way tie for second place one game behind Dayton before the weekend's games, with one of those second place teams (VCU) playing Dayton Friday. Lose and we're in 6th place.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Stupid CBSSN games suckkkkk
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote:Nice article EC turning the corner shooting over 50 % in conf nice
I was going to say that I agree with Rod, TP, and everyone saying that Terrell only taking 4 shots a game isn't a sustainable way for us to win games - simply because EC has been a shell of who we expected him to be and JT is our best shooter, best clutch shooter, and we've needed him to win us games.

But...EC has changed the last few games. It seems like he found whatever he had been missing. I've always said he doesn't need to be a great shooter to be a great player because he can just get into the lane and score. Against UMass he was clutch down the stretch. Made big shots that prevented UMass from taking the game back. If Terrell taking a back seat gave EC confidence...or whatever it was he was lacking...I'm very OK with it.

Maybe that was what they needed so both could start firing on all cylinders?

OH and also to people who bitched about Hurley "selling the program" and us being "overrated" etc etc...that's why we get to watch ANOTHER rhody game on national TV tonight.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Speaking of CBSSN, do they have the channel at the Mews? A few places don't.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Richmond is hard to predict but this would be a nice win for Rhody. Not a signature win by any means but nice on a resume.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Two years ago we lead from start to finish at Richmond. I'll take any kind of win this time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's a must win. You can talk about what all the other teams are doing or not doing outside the A10 but URI has to finish the Conference play no worse than 4th and get the bye into the quarterfinals in Pittsburgh.
If we don't beat out the teams in our own league the rest of the discussions are pretty well moot

If we lose Richmond goes to 6-2. We go to 4-3. Plus have Bonnie's Saturday and they have won 3 straight to go to 5-2.
And we have 4 wins and look who they are against - the bottom 4 teams in the A10: SLU, St Joe, Duquesne and UMASS.

We must win this game, whether by 1 point in quadruple OT or by 50, we must get the W.

Dayton 6-1
VCU 5-2
La Salle 5-2
Richmond 5-2
St Bonaventure 5-2
Rhode Island 4-2
George Mason 3-3
Fordham 3-4
Davidson 3-4
George Washington 2-4
Saint Joseph's 2-5
Massachusetts 2-5
Duquesne 2-6
Saint Louis 1-6
3 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ramster wrote:It's a must win.
I agree ramster. Need these 3 January games because the schedule in February is littered with tough matchups and there will be losses.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wood, Jones and Mooney preview the URI game....4.5 minute video

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Game info from Richmond site.

TJ Cline has more assists per game than any other player his height or greater. He almost had a triple double vs Maryland as he tallied 18 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists. Cline has come very close on other occasions this season to a triple double. No Richmond player has ever achieved a triple double.

Richmond is 8-2 against URI in games played at Richmond.

Tonight is the Komen Pink Out game

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArti ... =211431206
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond Newspaper with a pic of Hassan....

http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_ ... 9bb6d.html
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Winning the conference is awesome. Also DH does his best against the lower A10 squads right???? Then lets win that #1 seed.

We are right in the thick of the A10 race. Thats got to be the focus.

Terrell didn't consciously take a back seat to EC. Terrell always checks out of games and rarely puts together multiple weeks of his best play. He watches too much from the floor away from the ball. I wish he tried to show up every night and take the bull by the horns.

Ive noticed EC driving way more to his left after the new year. It was dumb to ever have him trying to take a guy through a ball screen to his right. He can't go right against two guys. Especially after a year off. Let him go to his comfortable hand and boom he's way better. EC's NBA aspirations need to be checked. Go left, dont try to prove you can go right. Doesn't matter. Even if he makes it into the league he can continue to just go left. NBA scouting for games is overblown. It only becomes an issue in the playoffs. EC Matthews coming off the bench for some team against another NBA team on a Wednesday night in the middle of February isn't getting played to the scouting report.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The one thing that bothers me about this game: Hurley's teams take away the 3, but RIchmond is a bad outside shooting team and struggles when they put up a lot of 3s. And their Princeton offense can excel against a tight man-to-man. So not a great match-up for URI. Wonder if Hurley will use some zone like he did against UMass.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Iggy1979 wrote:The one thing that bothers me about this game: Hurley's teams take away the 3, but RIchmond is a bad outside shooting team and struggles when they put up a lot of 3s. And their Princeton offense can excel against a tight man-to-man. So not a great match-up for URI. Wonder if Hurley will use some zone like he did against UMass.
They are dropping back to Earth now, but when Richmond was 5-0 they were shooting over 40% from three over that span
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:The one thing that bothers me about this game: Hurley's teams take away the 3, but RIchmond is a bad outside shooting team and struggles when they put up a lot of 3s. And their Princeton offense can excel against a tight man-to-man. So not a great match-up for URI. Wonder if Hurley will use some zone like he did against UMass.
It will be interesting to see how both Coaches manage their line ups for this game, Iggy,

I would guess the Starting 5's and the individual match ups will be:
T.J Cline, SR, 6'9" F vs 6'10" Kuran Iverson, Senior
ShawnDre' Jones, SR, 6'0" G vs 6'4" Jeff Dowtin, Freshman
Khan Fore, Soph, 6'0" G vs 6'3" Jared Terrell, Soph
Julius Johnson, Soph, 6'3" G vs 6'5" EC Mathews, Junior
DeMonte Buckingham, Freshman, 6'4" G vs 6'7" Hassan Martin, Senior

Fore is a great leaper and can really excite the crowd if he gets off shooting or on any break-a-way dunks, similar to what JT is capable of with the crowd
Buckingham has been Freshmen of the year in the A10 multiple times already. He is capable of double digit rebounding games
We must control Cline. He scores, passes and rebounds. He has a tendency to turn the ball over so we need to play tough defense on the passing lanes.
Richmond is last in the A10 in rebounding so we must dominate the boards

Tough defense, let the defense create the offense, drive the ball limiting 3 point shots as in the last two games, pass, limit dribbling, play unselfish, hit FTs. We are last in the A10 in FT% at 58%. Richmond is 72%. Keep fouls low and FT attempts low for Richmond.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Kuran on Cline? I would've thought Hass would be defending him. Though, if truth be told, Dan will probably have him double-teamed as much as possible.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Last year we took away everyone else but cline and terry allen. Maybe we will do the same this year. Make cline have to beat us by himself and make everyone else irrelevant.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hass, Iverson, and Cyril should dominate this team on the boards. I think we are going to have a lot of extra chances and we will get to the line a lot. We need to have a decent night shooting free throws from our big men. Hopefully JT can wake up and EC continues to play well. As always this game will come down to the final 5 minutes of the game. Can we FINALLY win an important road game this year???

My prediction is we come out strong and look like the better team most of the way and then end up losing the last 5 minutes. Richmond by 3. PROVE ME WRONG RHODY!!!!!!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:Kuran on Cline? I would've thought Hass would be defending him. Though, if truth be told, Dan will probably have him double-teamed as much as possible.
Just my guess.......... only a guess.
I'd be worried about KI guarding the smaller players. But maybe they do put Martin on Cline - I'd be very concerned about Martin picking up fouls guarding Cline, we need Martin's rebounding, shot blocking and shooting. We can't afford another 10-15 minute games from HM due to foul trouble.

I have not seen Dan play 4 guards in quite some time but could tonight be such a night since Richmond plays 4 guards with the tallest guard 6'4"? OR does Richmond play 6'8" Wood more minutes. He was out for several games.
Maybe a game that Robinson and Thompson get more minutes than usual?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:
I agree ramster.
I agree also. Part of the problem with losing when and where we have so far this season is that we have no equity banked for this part of the schedule that would allow us to screw a game like this up. We are a January loss away from basically having to run off 6 weeks straight of wins. We wouldn't be mathematically eliminated from an at-large if we lose, but for practical purposes we'd only be playing it out for A10T seeding to try to sneak in with an autobid.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:
I agree ramster.
I agree also. Part of the problem with losing when and where we have so far this season is that we have no equity banked for this part of the schedule that would allow us to screw a game like this up. We are a January loss away from basically having to run off 6 weeks straight of wins. We wouldn't be mathematically eliminated from an at-large if we lose, but for practical purposes we'd only be playing it out for A10T seeding to try to sneak in with an autobid.
Good point TP.

Also, it is a Must win for 5-2 Richmond as well, plus they are at home. Got to love Conference play, really makes Conference games exciting.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Even though we are a couple of hours away, I will be the first to say GO RHODY! And once again I am hoping and expect URI to continue moving toward that nice roll that will allow them to take over and rule the league this year by March.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

To me I still can't find a way this team wins, especially on the road, if JT and KI don't have good games. Not saying they both have to go off, but if either of them do terribly then its our kryptonite. With that being said, I feel something may have finally clicked with this team.

Hit our FT', KI and JT do enough, and we win.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Marshall Wood will play a good bit, but he plays on the perimeter most of the time.

I'm really having a hard time seeing us lose this one. I could very well be wrong, but man do we match up well with them.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

HASwatTeam wrote:To me I still can't find a way this team wins, especially on the road, if JT and KI don't have good games. Not saying they both have to go off, but if either of them do terribly then its our kryptonite. With that being said, I feel something may have finally clicked with this team.

Hit our FT', KI and JT do enough, and we win.

I definitely relate to the initial part of your comment, "still can't find a way this team wins", but I go from very optimistic to very pessimistic. I was one who had very high hopes at start of season, but also one who was very critical after OOC losses and LaSalle game. I also realize its a long season and teams and scenarios often change quite a bit. Sometime for the better, sometime for the worse. Even though it seems like it has been an extremely long season, we are barely 1/3 of the way through the league season. And we are not in bad position, considering. I still have hope this team can live up to my pre season expectations, to a degree anyway. A 10 is not very strong this year, and if we can perform with any type of consistency the remainder of the year, hopefully we can all have fun and be happy. With that being said, with a loss, I will be very upset, very critical and very down in dumps.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If this team is EVER going to turn things around and start fulfilling expectations...it has to start tonight....

People get their hopes up when we play well for a game or two, and then a big game happens and we shit the bed.

That has to change. We need guys to make a play...make FT's.....defensive stops....something to win a key game if it comes down to the last minute.

All good teams do that more often than not...we almost never do it.

We want to keep dreaming of an NCAA berth? Start playing like an NCAAT team. Start beating good teams, not just bad ones.

This game, especially being on the road, will be a good test to see if DH keeps making good adjustments under pressure.

It's not all on the players.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ideal sitch: Comfortable win, so we can read about how Richmond isn't that good and we should have beaten them anyway.

Pages will likely be added to the board either way...only question is....which thread? :lol:
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We are better....

Win.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Who had the scout tonight?
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

We need this one.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

TruePoint wrote:Who had the scout tonight?
Should be Cox. He takes the teams that run the Princeton style offense.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

It was Cox.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »