Week #11 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #11 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Today's release of both the AP Top 25 Poll and the USA Today Poll once again finds no A-10 teams in the rankings and no A-10 getting other votes!

After last week's road losses to Florida State and Louisville, Duke dropped eleven positions to #18 in both polls. Cincinnati moved up to #20 in both polls.

The cumulative won-lost record of URI OOC opponents now stands at 125-83, a winning percentage of .601, only slightly down versus previous week.

The AP poll has Villanova back in the #1 spot. The USA Today poll shows Kansas as #1. Gonzaga is the only Top 25 team with an unbeaten record.

The A-10 Conference ranks as # 7 in the nation, just ahead of the American. A summary of URI's position in various measurement systems shows a big drop due to last week's home loss to La Salle:
             Week #10  Week #11

RPI*             41	   49
Sagarin          38        53
Pomeroy          35        49

*live-rpi.com
There are no games tonight in the A-10.

Among URI OOC opponents:

Marist at Niagara. 7 PM.

Green Bay at Valparaiso. 8 PM. On ESPN3.

PC at Georgetown. 9 PM. FS1.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: Week #11 - Games of Interest

Unread post by giovanni »

For guys like me that get upset and complain about Danny at times, thank the good Lord I am not a Georgetown fan. Talk about a coach that is hanging around because of his last name. Incredible. The new Big East has some great teams in Creighton, Nova and Butler, but also have 3 extremely weak teams in DePaul, St Johns and Georgetown.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Giovanni, Georgetown was favored by 6 and look horrible vs PC. The crowd is very small, much like the small crowd when PC played at DePaul a week ago. Thompson gets high ranking players to come to Georgetown but the team almost always under performs. They just showed John Thompson SR in the stands watching this debacle.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I will reserve a comment on PC, for they beat us. And Cooley has proven to be a good coach. But this Georgetown team may be one of the worse coach teams I have ever seen. Talk about underachieving. I would like to say I will never complain about Dan or URI again, but unfortunately that is not my nature.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI OOC opponents go 3-0 on the evening.

Marist gets an overtime road win at Niagara, 93-87.

Green Bay previously unbeaten at 5-0 in the Horizon League is crushed at Valparaiso, 80-56.

PC routs Georgetown, 74-56.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Couldn't agree more Gio, no one gets less out of his talent than JT3. He is running a storied program into irrelevance. Have watched both of their PC games and they are simply the dumbest team in the land.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

The more I think of it, that game for Georgetown is very comparable the LaSalle game for URI. Though, league wise I URI is definitely in a higher standin than Georgetown, but also LaSalle is a higher level A 10 team than PC is in the new Big East.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

giovanni wrote:For guys like me that get upset and complain about Danny at times, thank the good Lord I am not a Georgetown fan. Talk about a coach that is hanging around because of his last name. Incredible. The new Big East has some great teams in Creighton, Nova and Butler, but also have 3 extremely weak teams in DePaul, St Johns and Georgetown.
Think you need to do a little homework before saying Georgetown is extremely weak. First off they have a win over Oregon who is higher in the Rpi then anyone URI has beaten. They also have win at Syracuse and beat Lasalle convincingly. Think it had more to do with the fact you can't stand to give PC any credit for a good win.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
giovanni wrote:For guys like me that get upset and complain about Danny at times, thank the good Lord I am not a Georgetown fan. Talk about a coach that is hanging around because of his last name. Incredible. The new Big East has some great teams in Creighton, Nova and Butler, but also have 3 extremely weak teams in DePaul, St Johns and Georgetown.
Think you need to do a little homework before saying Georgetown is extremely weak. First off they have a win over Oregon who is higher in the Rpi then anyone URI has beaten. They also have win at Syracuse and beat Lasalle convincingly. Think it had more to do with the fact you can't stand to give PC any credit for a good win.
Are you just learning now that URI fans don't like PC?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Decent road win for PC

This has got to be it for JT3
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

adam914 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Are you just learning now that URI fans don't like PC?
There is a difference between not liking a team and distorting facts to make your case.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Georgetown beat Oregon in November. Let them play them now. And remember, losses, at least for URI, dont mean anything in December, so I would assume wins don't mean anything for other teams at that stage of the season. Syracuse also got beat easily by St Johns, BC and got beat by the worst Uconn team in recent memory. Syracuse is Syracuse, one of the elite programs in the nation. This is not a vintage year in their terms. Nor is it for Georgetown. Syracuse beat LaSalle , wow. This is the problem with so many people today. There are too many teams to see in otherwise busy lives so they look at box scores and RPIs without having any knowledge of the teams. I love URI as much as anyone, but at this point to call them an elite team, which it appears is the bar by which we are going, is just not correct. Georgetown will have more than enough opportunities to get some big wins. So let me know where they are sitting selection Sunday. Syracuse , although playing better has a tough route to travel as well.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

And that is not meant as a criticism in any way. I very much enjoy and respect the analysis of the pundits like Bilas, Greenberg and Jay Williams for instance, but I think it is virtually impossible for them to have a total grip on any team except the elite.They too have to rely on numbers and what they are told by those closer to the individual programs. There is no way they can know a lot about a team like URI, except for information they get from talking to Danny, Thorr, SID or some local writers. I believe that to be true for all a 10 of mid major teams.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Georgetown is not a good team year. Period.

10-9, 1-5 in conference.

They haven't been "Georgetown" in years.
1 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

giovanni wrote:Georgetown beat Oregon in November. Let them play them now. And remember, losses, at least for URI, dont mean anything in December, so I would assume wins don't mean anything for other teams at that stage of the season. Syracuse also got beat easily by St Johns, BC and got beat by the worst Uconn team in recent memory. Syracuse is Syracuse, one of the elite programs in the nation. This is not a vintage year in their terms. Nor is it for Georgetown. Syracuse beat LaSalle , wow. This is the problem with so many people today. There are too many teams to see in otherwise busy lives so they look at box scores and RPIs without having any knowledge of the teams. I love URI as much as anyone, but at this point to call them an elite team, which it appears is the bar by which we are going, is just not correct. Georgetown will have more than enough opportunities to get some big wins. So let me know where they are sitting selection Sunday. Syracuse , although playing better has a tough route to travel as well.
So I guess URI'S win over Cinncinnati means about the same thing. Georgetown is definitely not the same as they were saying 10 years ago but they also are not as bad as you make them out to be. To say Lasalle is better then PC is a joke if they were in the Big East they would come in last place maybe possibly ahead of Depaul.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

It is not a coincidence that conference's like the Big East and ACC win the bulk of their non conference games every year. I totally disagree that the games played in November do not mean as much. I do not need to wait to selection Sunday to tell you they will not be selected. That also does not mean they are a bad team. It's funny how before conference play they beat Oregon, Syracuse and lost by 1 to Maryland. Then once conference play starts is when they start to really struggle. Speaks to the strength of the conference where you play a top 30 team about 40 percent of the time.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I have to go with nickel here. Georgetown has a kenpom ranking of 66 and an expected RPI of 88. We've had enough trouble this season against beating good teams on the road that it seems really stupid to talk about how PC winning against Georgetown wasn't a good win. If we beat Georgetown on the road people on here would be going nuts.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Considering URI's road record, people should go nuts for any URI road win, even if it's Chariho High School at Chariho.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I was being sarcastic about games in November and December, more of a shot at some who have continually dismissed, to a degree, the URI losses to PC, Valpo and Houston because they were early and non league.

As far as Georgetown, yes my choice of words may have been too strong saying the stink or whatever I used. What I should have said is, this is not a vintage Hoya team in no sense of the word and they are not dancing this year. I did see the Maryland and Oregon games ironically and I thought they would be a very good team, an NCAA team. I also saw them throw up a stinker vs Ark St, which had me scratching my head. And while it is good for URI that PC beat them twice, I'm not so sure that is very good for their resume. And with JT III, I do not follow Georgetown, just see them here and there. So I am not sure how their fans feel about him, but he has to be feeling some heat. Its a tough business. While undoubtedly he has had some past success, the coaching business has become a what have you for me lately business for most coaches.

And I am not comparing URI to them, which always seems to turn to the theme. I think we are definitely not an NCAA team at this point either. I will keep my fingers crossed things will turn around 360, but that's for another thread. With Georgetown, I am comparing them more to their direct competition in the Big East. They would definitely be a threat to win the A 10 if they were in the conference. But you also have to take care of business in whatever conference you are in , to a degree anyway, and at this point Georgetown hasn't. I've always tried to champion the mid major teams, but this year, perhaps more than any I have seen recently, the difference in the strength of the power conference teams is even greater than usual.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The 1,000 fans at the game last night should tell you what they think of JT3. Can you imagine that message board? A once storied program playing to a high school crowd in an NBA arena. Any road win is a good win, and Gtown still is a big team with tons of talent so no discredit to PC in the victory. Moreso an indictment on Gtown, their loyalty to the Thompson family is dragging the program into the gutter.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

If we can turn it around and dance, is it possible we will have to live through another off season of Danny going to Georgetown? I think it was you BAR who had actually mentioned something earlier in year about some type of connection if JT III were to get fired.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I did mention that for 2 reasons - first, if Gtown failed to make the tourney again it seemed like it could be time for them to pull the rip cord on JT3.
And secondly, that seems like the kind of opportunity that would interest Dan - within mid Atlantic region, not a total rebuild but a re-tooling, step up in conference, former national champion, opportunity to play on the biggest stage in March. No direct connection to that info, just gut based on the type of job that I think would interest DH.

That said, DH has not had the year to this point that would even put him close to being offered that type of opportunity.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not much action at all this Tuesday night. Only game is St. Bonaventure at Saint Louis. 9 PM. The Bonnies are favored by 10.5.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

bigappleram wrote:I did mention that for 2 reasons - first, if Gtown failed to make the tourney again it seemed like it could be time for them to pull the rip cord on JT3.
And secondly, that seems like the kind of opportunity that would interest Dan - within mid Atlantic region, not a total rebuild but a re-tooling, step up in conference, former national champion, opportunity to play on the biggest stage in March. No direct connection to that info, just gut based on the type of job that I think would interest DH.

That said, DH has not had the year to this point that would even put him close to being offered that type of opportunity.
Don't think ram fans will have to worry about this one if JT3 were to step down. I believe they would stay in house possibly Patrick Ewing.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Is that the rumor (re: Ewing)? That would seem to be a risky move given sticking to their legacy (the Thompson family) is what has them in this heap of a mess. And you would think the interested candidates for that gig would be a great list of coaches. That said, between him and Mullin there would be a great story of past BE glory.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Ewing and Mullen as legendary players, not so sure about as coaches. I don't care how great of a player you are,it typically doesn't translate into being a great coach. Not saying they can't do it and while they may be big names, also come as definite risks. I agree that if something happens with JT III, they should be able to attract a nice list of candidates and also supply a nice paycheck. They would probably not have interest in Dan anyway, but I have a feeling even with moderate success, he is going to be somewhat of a hot commodity as long as he can have some success. The name power will go a long way. If he does turn it around and we do go dancing or make it interesting, I still expect someone to court Dan again. I guess I'd rather have that than him falling on his face and attracting zero interest.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

bigappleram wrote:Is that the rumor (re: Ewing)? That would seem to be a risky move given sticking to their legacy (the Thompson family) is what has them in this heap of a mess. And you would think the interested candidates for that gig would be a great list of coaches. That said, between him and Mullin there would be a great story of past BE glory.
I heard that from someone don't know how true it is but would not surprise me . From what I have heard JT3 will only go on his terms as senior still has a big say in the doings of the athletic dept.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

St. Bonaventure came out on fire to overwhelm Saint Louis to build a 46-15 halftime lead.The Bonnies' hot shooting cooled considerably in the second stanza, but they came away a 71-52 winner.
Last edited by Obadiah 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:St. Bonaventure came out on fire to overwhelm Saint Louis to build a 46-15 halftime lead.The Bonnies' hot shooting cooled considerably in the second stanza, but they came away a 71-52 winner.
That is amazing and the game was AT St Louis.....home town crowd must be very much looking to next season. Jalen Adams returned to the Bonnie's line up and had 14 assists and 13 points.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

A10 has been wacky STL wins easy at GMU then gets pasted at home v Bonnie's
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That is an interesting scenario if we don't dance and Gtown fires JT if DH will be in their short list. In that scenario it wouldn't bother me too much if he left as long as we make the next hire the right hire
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

reef wrote:That is an interesting scenario if we don't dance and Gtown fires JT if DH will be in their short list. In that scenario it wouldn't bother me too much if he left as long as we make the next hire the right hire
If DH doesn't make the tournament this year I don't think you'll have to worry about him being on anyone's short lists.
It's easy to sell hopes and dreams. Now it's about executing on them.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What I'll try and add is games of interest not already covered of teams on the bubble with us. So these will be games of teams in Joe Lunardi's last four byes, last four in, first four out, and next four out. I'll list the team on the bubble first to avoid confusion.

Arkansas won at Texas A&M 62-60
Pittsburgh lost at NC State 79-74
Wichita State won at Evansville 82-65
Michigan lost at Wisconsin 68-64
Georgia beat Vanderbilt 76-68
Illinois lost at Purdue 91-68
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Miami is at Wake Forest at 8 on ACC Network in a battle of two teams on the bubble
Texas Tech plays TCU at 7:30
Kansas State is at Oklahoma State at 9 on ESPNU
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks Rhowdy, adding the goings on with bubble teams is a nice addition. The relevance of this thread has always been to gauge URI prospects in the post season and, unfortunately, in recent years there hasn't been much. Giving in to my superstitious side, I sometimes think the mere existence of this thread has jinxed UR, but let me plow on nonetheless.

The action in the A-10 Wednesday night:

Duquesne at GW. 7 PM.

VCU at Fordham. 7 PM.

St. Joe's at UMass. 7 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Temple at #20 Cincinnati. 7 PM. On CBSSN.

Holy Cross at Army. 7 PM.
1 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Fordham up 12 at the half vs VCU....just when you think VCU is the team to beat in A10
0 x
Clapton is God
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

gorhody89 wrote:Fordham up 12 at the half vs VCU....just when you think VCU is the team to beat in A10
Interesting....Game now going to Over-Time 58-58.

Javontae Hawkins 6'5" Senior Guard leading the way for Fordham with 16 points. He played 2 years at South Florida then last year at Eastern Kentucky, now 5th year at Fordham.

VCU was 10.5 point favorite at Fordham.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:
gorhody89 wrote:Fordham up 12 at the half vs VCU....just when you think VCU is the team to beat in A10

Javontae Hawkins 6'5" Senior Guard leading the way for Fordham with 16 points. He played 2 years at South Florida then last year at Eastern Kentucky, now 5th year at Fordham.

Fordham in OT 70-67
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Fordham in OT 70-67
Love it!!!!
18' Jumper by Anderson at the buzzer to win it!!!!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

At this rate everyone's going to finish 9-9.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fordham message board comment that there were more VCU fans then Fordham fans at Fordham's home game. School just now starting back.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thursday Night's Richmond @ Dayton Game looms huge now. ESPNU 7pm
Richmond 5-0
Dayton 4-1

La Salle 4-1
VCU 4-2
St Bonaventure 4-2
Rhode Island 3-2
George Mason 2-3
Davidson 2-3
Massachusetts 2-4
George Washington 2-4
Duquesne 2-4
Saint Joseph's 2-4
Fordham 2-4
Saint Louis 1-5
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......based on the wacky results in the A-10 schedule, there a few if any guarantees..... can not look past anyone on any given night.....see VCU in the Bronx....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting night in the A-10.

Fordham who led practically the entire game withstood a furious VCU comeback, but the Metro Rams did not falter as they won in OT, 69-67. VCU first real lead came in the first minute of OT when they built a 5 point lead and appeared to be headed to a comeback win, but the Metro Rams did not cave. The critical moment came when VCU's Justin Tillman missed a FT with game tied with 15 seconds left. Antwoine Anderson then put in the decisive jumper with 1 second remaining.

GW who had a big lead over Duquesne for good part of game, then struggled in the final going as the Dukes tied the game with 3 minutes left. Duquesne had one last chance when Tyler Cavanaugh missed a FT, but the Dukes Rene Castro missed a three point jumper with one second left. Final score 65-63.

UMass trailed most of the game, but came through in the closing minutes to win over St. Joe's, 81-74. Game was tied at 53 apiece when UMass got possession after a missed FT by James Demery on a Holloway rebound. Half minute later Holloway scored on a lay-up to give Umass the lead for good. Only 2,370 hardy souls attended the game.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

#20 Cincinnati held serve by beating Temple in a hotly contested match, 81-74.

Holy Cross was down 10 points at the half at Army, but came back to beat the Cadets, 85-76.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I feel like we know all about losing to Fordham. Welcome to the A10 VCU.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS was a very strange win over St Joe
UMASS started had only 2 points while the bench had 27 at the half. By end of game starters had 16 points, bench had 46

Louisiana Freshmen Starters for UMASS, Gresham (3) and Jarreau (11), had only 14 minutes between them.
Holloway only had 9 points
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

A-10 is crazy. We may beat each other up enough to make it a one bid league.
I don't think Richmond wins at Dayton.
They're a fluke as far as I'm concerned.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so Will Wade and VCU !!!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

LaSalle game will be interesting tonight vs Davidson. Even though we had a melt down on this board after our losing to the, I think they are better than some gave them credit for and are coming around really well right now. They have the 2 transfers in Johnson and Powell who seem to have begun to blend into system and this team is coming together. I think Dr John is a better coach than some give him credit for. And they have positioned themselves to contend for this league, in a year where inconsistency seems to be the rule at this point. VCU have proven they are not the team some thought. GW, St Bonnies, Richmond and Davidson don't have me sold, certainly haven't proven to be any better than LaSalle. IMO anyway. And we know we have had our struggles thus far. Also, in regards to tonight's game, I don't think Davidson is the team they have been the last couple of years. Gibbs is excellent, but they just haven't been the same team as we have seen the last couple of years. And Davidson is also coming off a huge win for them in the league in VCU. LaSalle is home, playing well. I think it's a good spot for them. If they do want to make a statement within the league, this is a big game for them, as they all are. I think LaSalle wins handily.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Totally agree that Lasalle is undersold right now...talent is there, Giannini has blended transfers well in the past.
Umass also will win more games than thought in preseason IMO.
Everyone else has their warts, as do we...Davidson is Gibbs/Aldridge and almost nothing else, Richmond is average, VCU and Dayton are definitely at the top but both very beatable on any given night.
1 x