Should Rhody find a new announcer to replace Dan Yorke?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Should Rhody find a new announcer to replace Dan York?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 38

The Dude
Tom Garrick

Should Rhody find a new announcer to replace Dan Yorke?

Unread post by The Dude »

After today's game against UMASS where once again we had, what in my opinion and the opinion of 10+ other people in my section, an announcer who:
1) continues to get the substitutions incorrect;
2) makes free throws sound like a death sentence;
3) gets way too enamored with his own voice rather than paying attention to being a good professional announcer/pa guy.

Is it finally time to find a replacement?
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Should Rhody find a new announcer to replace Dan York?

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think he's okay but he does get a little too excited sometimes
0 x
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We've got more important things to spend time on and worry about.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I hear ya on it dude, I wasn't there today but I hear ya, though I am voting no because I like Dan York, not his political views entirely, but his attitude towards his (radio) audience and attitude about Rhode Island in general. He's like our other relocated Jersey Dan, he has high standards and a code by which he stays true. His PA work seemed to be getting slightly better for a bit, but his over annunciation for every Ram player that goes to the stripe is still annoying to say the least, he makes every free throw sound like he's introducing the players before tip-off, otherwise I think its great that he's a fan and in this case I'm fine taking the bad with the good.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......he either he has gotten better, less intrusive or I have become numb, however I have offered that when you pay a person to be the arena PA, and that their day job is talking, that is what you get.....and I think he does see himself as voice of the RC and part of the URI team/game experience.....however, I would rather have a simple calm voice that delivers the basics with little else......wonder how Athletics/RC manages this role......annual auditions? multi year agreements?
typical RI style with "I know a guy"? Maybe it is time for EZ Buckets?......he does the PA for some women's games....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Enjoyed him announcing EC and Stan as a sub when they were already in.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I really don't get why this is a big deal.

Also, as sad as our fan base is they tend to react to his calls of big plays more than they do the plays themselves. That's worth something.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

It would be great to have a URI alum instead of a Dayton alum imo.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I hate how he announces the score at time outs. Like we can't see the scoreboard? I guess management must like his embellishment style, I don't particularly care for it...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I wish Steve and Don would say the score more often on the Radio. Half the time I have no clue.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not a big deal...keep the guy. He seems to be less 'death-sentence'-ish on FT's than last year, which is good. Otherwise, the role just calls for someone loud (check) a little obnoxious (check) and human, i.e., makes some mistakes (check). And, it is kinda funny sometimes to hear him announce someone just entering the game...who's already been in it. Just be glad you don't have Paul Porter...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Do we have a replacement in mind? It seems like this is a position that doesn't have a huge effect one way or the other, so firing him could result in a big case of be careful what you wish for.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Never liked him as the PA guy. I'm talking from day 1. He was getting a little less annoying but still not very good. He tends to think he's doing play-by-play. I do agree tho that until we make the NCAAs we have much bigger things to worry about.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

He's fine...ish. In terms of improvements not related to the actually product on the floor I'd much rather the Athletics department get off their asses and put some work into the stream/TV feed. York might be grating to some but the streaming product is absolutely shameful. Someone should've lost their goddamn job after that last MyRITV game. Seriously.

In terms of possible replacements, I always think Joe Berardi does a really good, professional job. He does a bunch of URI sports already.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I would like to see Blue Man do the PA. That would be awesome.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I would like to see Blue Man do the PA. That would be awesome.
Good idea.
Better idea: Rambone and BM doing play by play together.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Holy shit....the F bombs be flyin'...........
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I think Yorke just talks too much during the game, like when they say lets look at the scores around the A10 and instead of putting them on the board the scoreboard to look at. And the constant advertisements kill the vibe during timeouts (Although I know why they have to do them).
Puck Frovidence wrote: In terms of possible replacements, I always think Joe Berardi does a really good, professional job. He does a bunch of URI sports already.
I would love that. Joe did a few games filling in for Mike Mancuso and he was really good. He's a great guy too. Disclaimer though, he was one of my basketball coaches in high school and I am biased haha.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

All good feed back. Good to see the varying opinions.
I've been to a lot of sporting events and just different events and venues in general and in my lifetime I don't recall ever thinking about the announcer/pa guy. I was typically paying attention to the event. I mean, if you think about it, how often do we really divert our focus from the event we are watching to the announcer/pa guy? In my experience, hardly ever. Sure the announcer/pa guy is part of the experience of the event/venue at times, but never did I ever think "wow listen to that announcer/pa guy"...which in my opinion is generally the sign of a "great" announcer/pa guy....meaning he's a guy that does his job well enough to the point that he's part of a crowd's experience at an event, but he's not trying to "be the experience/event." Plus, you throw in the amount of errors this guy makes every game...and in my opinion it's been making for a poor experience since day 1.
"Time for the A10 scores around the league. There are no scores.".....or "Check that." five times a game...or god forbid the team have a "1.........AND.......11111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with demonic fire spewing into the microphone...the end is near).
I am essentially speaking on behalf of at least half of section 205 at this point. haha.
Anyway, not trying to pile on. Just kind of clarifying the perspective a bit. Not everyone is suited to be an announcer/pa guy.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodysurf wrote:I think Yorke just talks too much during the game, like when they say lets look at the scores around the A10 and instead of putting them on the board the scoreboard to look at. And the constant advertisements kill the vibe during timeouts (Although I know why they have to do them).
I'm not sure Yorke has anything to do with either of those things, it sounds like that will happen no matter who the announcer is.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Re: Should Rhody find a new announcer to replace Dan Yorke?

Just posting to keep this relevant until pole closes in a week.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Would this even be a topic if we were still a top 25 team?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote:Would this even be a topic if we were still a top 25 team?
No, because we are not any longer a top 25 team, and our collective expectations were to sniff around that top 25 status all season; some of us pile on when it is not delivered, and find things like the PA as a focal point to desire an across the board top shelf hoops program that has not yet been delivered.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I think Yorke does an excellent....remove this thread. The guys puts enthusiasm into the intros and what not. I really like him as our PA guy
0 x