Game 18: @ Duquesne - Saturday Jan 21, 2:30pm NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game 18: @ Duquesne - Saturday Jan 21, 2:30pm NBCSN

Unread post by ramster »

Duquesne is 9-9, currently 2-3 in A10

Duquesne plays @ George Washington Wed Jan 18
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 18: Duquesne, Away, Saturday Jan 21, 2:30pm NBCSN

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They are no pushover...they love to run....and we've had trouble with them in the past....

There are no easy games the rest of this season......
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Last time we played them there we had to come back from like 14 down and barely won it on a couple Terrell free throws.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Game is not til next Saturday so lots of rest but I will say URI 73-66
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hate these schedule gaps. Hopefully they move this momentum to the next game.
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They have plenty of time to practice FT's....although I doubt it even matters.

People look at the UMass score and say, great URI finally won a close game!

Oh wait.....it never should have been that close....imo it doesn't count as a close win.

If UMass could have made one or two 3's in that last minute...we would have lost the game most likely.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Says the guy that didn't watch or listen to the game.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I hate these schedule gaps. Hopefully they move this momentum to the next game.
Think it could be good for Martin/Thompson? Then the freshman getting better Cyril/Dowtin?

Beat Umass was great because they stormed back and we held the lead. Not to mention Rhody came back from a big deficit. Got the crowd on their feet.

There is hope this morning.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:They have plenty of time to practice FT's....although I doubt it even matters.

Oh wait.....it never should have been that close....imo it doesn't count as a close win.

If UMass could have made one or two 3's in that last minute...we would have lost the game most likely.
You are right, it never should have been that close, URI went down by 15 points in the first half. This on the heels of having back,to back losses to Dayton and then followed by their worst loss of the year to LaSalle at home.

Looking at it another way:

- URI Down 15 in 1st half
- URI starting PG for the 3 years just out of the hospital unable to play with Freshman Dowtin getting first start ever for URI
- Solid guard Christion Thompson just back from missing 6 games and playing significant minutes
- UMASS coming off big upset win vs Dayton

URI could have easily folded up the tent and packed it in when they went down 15. Things were not looking good at all. Go read some of the posts early in this game thread since you did not watch the game. Get a sense of how dire straits we were in. Seriously read all the pages.

What did they do? They sucked it up!!! Players, coaches and fans. They came back from a 15 point deficit and went up by 10 led by many outstanding efforts.

They missed FTs, yes. Hassan Martin went 5-12 in the 2nd half. Want to blame him? Do you honestly think that HM would blame his coach because he was too tight when shooting his FTs? The guy was exhausted. He laid everything he had on the line. He was, is and always will be a warrior. He made 13 straight earlier this year, shot 84%, then got injured vs PC. He is rounding back into form, his FTs will round back into form too. He blocked 6 shots, caused Holloway to have 5 TOs due to his defensive pressure and made many clutch 15 foot jumpers.

URI never had this game in the bag, it was a heroic effort by this team against a UMASS team that gives us fits year in and year out.

It was a nice win for our team. I'm not going to let myself be brought down by all this negativity about a game that I felt so positive about the end result. Lots of positives in this game, attendance, coaching, individual player performances, passing, defense - (especially on holloway), come from behind, holding the lead down the final minute stretch........was everything perfect? Of course not.

Baron 2.0 might be better suited for the negative posting......not here after this comeback win.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I hate these schedule gaps. Hopefully they move this momentum to the next game.
Think it could be good for Martin/Thompson? Then the freshman getting better Cyril/Dowtin?

Beat Umass was great because they stormed back and we held the lead. Not to mention Rhody came back from a big deficit. Got the crowd on their feet.

You're right on the recovery aspect for those guys, it could help with more days off. That game was everything we needed.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:

You're right on the recovery aspect for those guys, it could help with more days off. That game was everything we needed.
Psychologically, it is so much better to be going a week off with a win under our belts versus if we had 3 straight losses. Now can focus on healing, practicing and preparing for upcoming road games @ Duquesne Saturday Jan 21 and @ Richmond Wednesday Jan 25

Richmond (5-0) has a big game @ Dayton this Thursday, then George Mason at home on Saturday prior to our Jan 25th matchup.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:

Anytime you come back from down 15 to win, I think you have to drop the 'shoulda won anyway' talk. Maybe they should have, but when a team gets down 15 and wins...to me, coming back from that situation is bigger than 'shoulda won anyway'. Crowd was on their feet a few times yesterday and we were happy to be among them.

If they can pull off wins at DuQ and Richmond, the Bonnies game should draw another 6K+ crowd...
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:They have plenty of time to practice FT's....although I doubt it even matters.

I, for one, am SHOCKED that rambone was able to find a pessimistic way to look at things...
6 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Moving the goal posts is always an effective way to make a point :)
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote:

I, for one, am SHOCKED that rambone was able to find a pessimistic way to look at things...
Try to ignore. Guy watches 0% of any of the games. Comes onto message board to post at a rate 4-10x anyone else to comment and add literally NOTHING to the conversation..ya know because he saw NONE of the games.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Tell me of all the details from any of the games you've watched bone. Tell me the intricacies and breakdowns in game flow you were able to see from your seat in the Ryan Center, or maybe what you were able to learn from the television broadcast. Perhaps some of what you were able to glean from Don and Steve on the radio?

Oh wait...you don't have any of that? Just more bitching and whining about the same shit you repeat over and over and over with no relevancy applied to what is actually going on?

How's about we go to a game, watch a game, listen to a game, do ANYTHING that involves something new with this team and bringing a perspective to the message board instead of just shoveling shit and making this board unreadable for all the basketball fans who actually consume the basketball games because you're miserable?
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BM, you are full of bullshit...nothing more to say...I have been to more URI games and watched more games on TV than you will probably EVER see...and you're not worth having to defend myself to....go fuck yourself.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:BM, you are full of bullshit...nothing more to say...I have been to more URI games and watched more games on TV than you will probably EVER see...and you're not worth having to defend myself to....go fuck yourself.
Well considering that you are legitimately twice as old as me...I would hope so.

Careful with that language though, might get a hand cramp in your sunset years typing it. Feel free to say it to my face. I'll be in section 205. Where I always am.

Section 205 is in the Ryan Center though so you'd have to find the building first.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't think RB's posts make this unreadable...in fact, I look forward to them... part of the huge spectrum of views.
Meet people in person instead of just internet sparring and it makes all the difference in the world...

Having said that, I much prefer the expression "go sh*t in your hat" (thanks, Rod) to "go f yourself"...just thinking of 'the kids'...you know...
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BM, hey I have a job which unfortunately keeps me away from most games....I follow whenever possible with TV and online with videos and replays....I admit I don't go nearly as often as back in the Penders/Skinner/Harrick days but that's life......

And sometimes I do rely on others' observations....I'm sure many here do because they live out of state which I have too for the last 18 years.

And yeah I do know where the RC is......

You don't have to be at the game to comment on FT's either......

You and others are really quick to jump down my throat when I post negative or pessimistic, but when I post positive, it's ignored......

Anyway, I know a hell of a lot more than you think I do....so deal with it....

Here's a novel idea....let's actually be good enough [the team that is] to where we could all meet each other...at a watering hole on Selection Sunday when we would actually know the Rams will be invited.....

None of you younger guys have actually experienced that...you might like it.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:BM, hey I have a job which unfortunately keeps me away from most games....I follow whenever possible with TV and online with videos and replays....I admit I don't go nearly as often as back in the Penders/Skinner/Harrick days but that's life......

And sometimes I do rely on others' observations....I'm sure many here do because they live out of state which I have too for the last 18 years.

And yeah I do know where the RC is......

You don't have to be at the game to comment on FT's either......

You and others are really quick to jump down my throat when I post negative or pessimistic, but when I post positive, it's ignored......

Anyway, I know a hell of a lot more than you think I do....so deal with it....

Here's a novel idea....let's actually be good enough [the team that is] to where we could all meet each other...at a watering hole on Selection Sunday when we would actually know the Rams will be invited.....

None of you younger guys have actually experienced that...you might like it.....
Sign me up for that...heck...I'd host and we could all have cheaper (and probably better) brew....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As for Duquesne:

Starting line up:
Nakye Sanders, Soph F 6'8": 5.2 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 42% FT
Isiaha Mike, Freshman F 6'8": 10.6 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 67% FT, 20% 3FG
Mike Lewis, Freshman G 6'1": 13.1 PPG, 81% FT, 36% 3FG
Emile Blackman, Senior G 6'3": 11.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 77% FT, 36% 3FG
Train Smith, Soph G 6'2": 10.1 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 65% FT, 20% 3FG

Young starting line up of 2 freshmen, 2 Sophs and 1 senior. 3 guard and 2 forward starting line up

Duquesne expected RPI 217.7

Best win for Duquesne was on the road vs Pittsburgh with 52.8 RPI. In that game Blackman had 21 pts, Lewis had 15 and Smith had 12
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on guys let's get along !!!
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......any updates on the Jarvis situation? Would like him to stay out until he is fully 100%.......even with emergence of Jeff Dowtin, depth at the guard play remains important for this team.....no news flash there.....I am not convinced yet that Jeff has the bounce/ball handling ability to withstand heavy pressure the ball defenders.....looks like the same starting lineup, which I like.....weeks rest for Hasson.....need his offense that he showed against UMass......use the UMass game as a foundation to get on a nice run.....Go Rhody.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote:......any updates on the Jarvis situation? Would like him to stay out until he is fully 100%.......even with emergence of Jeff Dowtin, depth at the guard play remains important for this team.....no news flash there.....I am not convinced yet that Jeff has the bounce/ball handling ability to withstand heavy pressure the ball defenders.....looks like the same starting lineup, which I like.....weeks rest for Hasson.....need his offense that he showed against UMass......use the UMass game as a foundation to get on a nice run.....Go Rhody.....
From Hurley's press conference after the UMASS game, it sounded to me that this was a long term serious illness. I'm hoping not for Jarvis's sake. Dan also stated that Jarvis lost 15 pounds in a few weeks. I haven't heard anything since.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully they know exactly what it is he's got...and the prognosis......will try to find out tonight.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I'm sure Dan will know a little bit more about Jarvis' situation tonight at the coach's show. 15 pounds is no joke, real scary stuff to drop that weight.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Also for reference Dayton went to Duquesne last week and handled the Dukes 76-57. Dayton's bench contributions were huge. Hope we can have a similar performance come Saturday.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Are you ever positive? You can say that about any close game including the 3 we lost, if this or that shot went down... Would of could of ect....

It was a great comeback win and very fun to watch, minus the first 16 minutes. Let's keep the momentum going and win a few more games that the other teams last few shots don't go down....

Go Rhody!
3 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I don't think RB's posts make this unreadable...in fact, I look forward to them... part of the huge spectrum of views.
Meet people in person instead of just internet sparring and it makes all the difference in the world...

Having said that, I much prefer the expression "go sh*t in your hat" (thanks, Rod) to "go f yourself"...just thinking of 'the kids'...you know...

Couldn't disagree more, his posts are the same thing ove and over and adds zero value... It impossible for him to be positive and it gets really old. No idea how anyone could defend his miserable, pointless posts.
8 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Too fucking bad, mongol........if you would read some of my positive posts you might think otherwise...and they are there.......so go shit in a hat.....so what about my 325 "likes"?
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

reef wrote:Come on guys let's get along !!!
Agreed. This fanbase is small enough as is, I don't understand why people on here try to drive fans away or constantly belittle others opinions.
4 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Duq stinks. They turn the ball over, can't make shots, can't make FTs. I will be disappointed if the game is still undecided with ten minutes left given a week to prep.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
reef wrote:Come on guys let's get along !!!
Agreed. This fanbase is small enough as is, I don't understand why people on here try to drive fans away or constantly belittle others opinions.
josephski...some just like to be assholes.....I don't usually lash out at other posters but it's really pissing me off.....

If they don't like it, don't read it but it's hard getting anything thru their thick skulls.
2 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Gonebarongone wrote:Duq stinks. They turn the ball over, can't make shots, can't make FTs. I will be disappointed if the game is still undecided with ten minutes left given a week to prep.
Agreed, it would be good to close this one out early on the road. It was way too close in 2015, but I think we're better and Duquesne is a bit worse now.
Last edited by thatRamBand 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I miss sitting in 205, but I made a bet with one of my PC friends that I won't go to another home game until we win a big road game. Could really use a win at Richmond because I don't think I can miss out on an atmosphere like that Umass game again and might just need to pay him the $100. As for this game I think we start out with a big lead and never give it up. Rhody by 14.
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game 18: @ Duquesne - Saturday Jan 21, 2:30pm NBCSN

Unread post by Obadiah »

In the first three A-10 games, URI came out confidently and built early leads. In the last two games, URI showed some emotional fragility and tentative play that led to quick big leads by La Salle and UMass. This is something that cannot happen in our upcoming two road tests, if we want to be an A-10 contender!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

We should have the confidence to say we're gonna blow them out because we should!
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:..imo it doesn't count as a close win.
lol
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really hope we can win this by double figs and get our confidence up
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RPI live as of today has:

URI 10.4 points over Duquesne with 82% chance of winning
URI 3.8 points over Richmond with 63% chance of winning

RPI has been close to the eventual Vegas point spreads

For the big Richmond @ Dayton game Thursday night RPI live has Dayton favored by 11.4 points and 85% probability to win.
Vegas just came out with Dayton favored by 11 points vs Richmond
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Guys,

Seems like at least the board is already past this game and onto Richmond. This game is extremely important for our A10 conference standings. we need to lay the hammer down like the police used to do on Shitty Jim in the 80"s

Go Rhody
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Leave Rambone alone.
He's entitled to his POV, as is everyone here.
If he offends you, then used the "ignore" option,
if we still have one.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Welcome Back ROD!

I'm all in for a selection show board party where we're wondering if we're a 6 or 8 seed. Let's win regular season and the A-10 tourney this year and make it happen.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Got to lay the hammer down and crush this sub 200 RPI team
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

For anyone who is into advanced metrics, here is KenPom's "tale of the tape" if you will....
Attachments
URI v Duquesne.jpg
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Leave Rambone alone.
if we still have one.
We do have a Foe feature which hides posts. It does well with that.

However if the person you ignore is so prolific in a thread they will still dominate and derail the discussion. Not to mention people will quote them and you will see their posts anyway.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ATPTourFan wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Leave Rambone alone.
if we still have one.
We do have a Foe feature which hides posts. It does well with that.

However if the person you ignore is so prolific in a thread they will still dominate and derail the discussion. Not to mention people will quote them and you will see their posts anyway.

Takes 2 to tango, he didn't derail it on his own. He was at least making on topic points about the game before Blue Man came in guns blazing

Both he and Blue Man got sand up their ______ and should've been told to take it to PMs.

On topic, not a good look if this doesn't go like St Louis did
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not to worry ATP.....it's not going to happen that much anymore......our talk at the show was a good one.

It's not worth the aggravation.....either way.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......let's get off to great start, score on first possession, neva give them any breathing room, take them out of their offense, none of this get behind and have to crawl back into it......force the action on both ends......Go-Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938