How should Hurley handle Holloway?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

How should we handle the match up

Poll ended at 7 years ago

Play our smaller forwards, overwhelm with speed
60%
Play Berry, match size with size
40%

Total votes: 5

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

How should Hurley handle Holloway?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Interested to see how the board feels we should handle this match up. Why wait until after the game to second guess when you can show how smart you are before tipoff?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: How should Hurley handle Holloway?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not to be snarky or anything, but what makes you think we will overwhelm anybody with speed?

A running game? Since when? Against better opponents, we play their game, not ours.

Berry or even Layssard should play and help clog the lane against the UMass guards who will likely blow by ours, since we don't play zone.

Hassan is likely a non factor again most likely. By playing B and L, we will have tons of fouls to give, which I'm sure we will.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....I have suggested a few times, from the UMass vs PC game, that Holloway represents match up problems......I don't see Berry as much of a size match, he is shorter, weighs less?.....and doesn''t get up and down the floor fast enough.....maybe we see what HM mobility has to start on Holloway.....would like(won't happen)to see Cyril start game on Holloway, give the fouls early.....unfortunately I do not see our forwards being able to handle him.....did not vote.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

My personal feeling...stop relying on the 3 ball so much and attack the hoop. Get HIM in foul trouble by being aggressive instead of settling for 3's. The last game we shot less than 20 3-pointers in was Holy Cross, as an FYI. If you take him out of the game with foul trouble, you won't have to worry about guarding him. Everyone talks about how we play other teams games. Take them out of theirs by going at their best player from the opening tip.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BPR2010 wrote:My personal feeling...stop relying on the 3 ball so much and attack the hoop. Get HIM in foul trouble by being aggressive instead of settling for 3's. The last game we shot less than 20 3-pointers in was Holy Cross, as an FYI. If you take him out of the game with foul trouble, you won't have to worry about guarding him. Everyone talks about how we play other teams games. Take them out of theirs by going at their best player from the opening tip.
Agree with this right here. I think relying on the 3 was a big problem early in the LaSalle game. It's almost as if those couple of blowout games where we were real hot from 3 made the team think they could just come out against LaSalle and drain a bunch of 3's and run away with the game.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

This answer is simple but wont happen. Play zone and collapse when the ball in thrown in the paint.

I wasn't super impressed with Holloway in the limited time I saw him vs Dayton, at least not enough that we have to scheme against him.
Jarreau and Clark are the match ups that I'm more concerned with.
0 x
Rhody Dude
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody Dude »

Would've liked to see how Layssard matched up with him
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Based on what I saw today when we play at UMass we need to double team Holloway. He may have scored once or twice in the double team but had more than a few turnovers and I do not remember him making one good pass out of the double.
For a 59% free throw shooter I was shocked to see him go 6 for 6 especially going 2 for 2 in crunch time.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We had multiple outstanding sequences of help defense by Akele and Iverson that resulted in turnovers or offensive fouls. He had 20 not 30 and fouled out. We handled him fine.

I love his routine at the foul line, a little goofy but repeats it and shoots with good form, touch and spin. Impressive post player.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote:We had multiple outstanding sequences of help defense by Akele and Iverson that resulted in turnovers or offensive fouls. He had 20 not 30 and fouled out. We handled him fine.

I love his routine at the foul line, a little goofy but repeats it and shoots with good form, touch and spin. Impressive post player.
How did he improve so much year over year and Andre didn't? Last year, at Amherst, they were almost the same...AB might have even been a little better. This year...like night and day...what happened? Last year, seemed like any of us could've guarded him, now we're talking about how he needs to be double-teamed...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He hit 6-6 FTs in the VCU game
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I would've put Berry on him. When he finally inserted Berry into the game in the first half you could tell that Kellogg didn't want that match up, so he substituted Holloway out of the game and brought in a quicker more slender big man. Berry got beat on the baseline by the substitute and Hurley never put him back in the game. When Hurley took Berry out, Kellogg put Holloway back on the court.
I have to give Kellogg credit. He knew what match up he wanted to have on the court and he got it for most of the game. It's a good thing that Hass and Akele stepped up just enough to give Holloway some difficulty. Holloway just abused Langevine.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey