Dan and 4 Guard Offense

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: Dan and 4 Guard Offense

Unread post by giovanni »

rodfromcranston wrote:I still think of Dan saying Martin reminded him of VCU's
Treveon Graham.
One guy is a smooth swingman, 3 point threat,
the other is Hassan.
The other was saying he couldn't take Pollard, because
he was too similar to Hassan.
One points to an odd player assessment.
The other, to only one inside player can play,
in Dan's mind.
Both headshakers.

I don't recall that comment. No reason to doubt you, simply saying I don't recall it. I agree to being a odd assessment. I love Hassan, but in honesty would loved to have seen how he could have developed under another coach, especially on offensive end. Though he isn't smooth offensive player at all, I think he has some attributes that would allow him to be much more successful on the offensive end. A little help inside would be a no brainer also as far as helping him out and taking a lot of pressure off him. I will continue to say KI is a skilled, talented player, but his game is not in the paint and can't be confused with a power type player in any sense of the imagination.

As far as the 1 scholarship, is it possible that Dan could be looking at a 5th year guy? Or has this been mentioned?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The comment was not a public one, by Dan.
It was said in a booth at the Mews after Hassan signed his LOI.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Halloway body size doesn't come around often, but anytime you have to double team someone and they still lead the team in scoring, thats a problem. Size was the reason. We need that size in one way or another.
3 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

giovanni wrote:As far as the 1 scholarship, is it possible that Dan could be looking at a 5th year guy? Or has this been mentioned?
After Fatts signed it certainly sounded like a transfer was a strong possibility for the last scholarship.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

LaSalle has really turned their fortunes around with transfers.....they along with Richmond have been major surprises so far this conference season.

It sure wouldn't hurt if Dan could get either a transfer or 5th year big who can help right away.

Could be the difference between coming close or actually making the dance next season.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Jeff Goodman has his yearly transfer list started.

Not many grad transfers yet but a few interesting high major big men who may be looking at mid-majors for more playing time.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nsfer-list
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gonzaga lives on transfers every season.
Most transfers come with some baggage,
but Mark Few seems to do pretty well
using transfers as a prime roster building tool.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Look at Iverson for example here....sure he has his ups and downs....but when he's played well he has made a big difference for us...without him we would be worse than we are......
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Part of doubling Holloway is the fact he is tall. We might have to double every tall player that catches in the low post and is calm on the block.

Holloway isn't exactly exceptional.

Still umass didn't win. Need our guards to be that difference that negates the fact we have no height. All of our wing height and strength doesn't matter if those guys aren't rebounding or the other team spreads them out.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Could Joe Hampton be in play as a potential prospect?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Gio, whoever it might be, we need someone who can do more than just take up space in the middle.....like score.....

Our entire frontcourt next season is a giant question mark, no matter how much potential some are saying Cyril, ML and Tertsea have......
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni wrote:Could Joe Hampton be in play as a potential prospect?
Last I saw, he had left his JC. So, I'm not sure what he's up to.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:I still think of Dan saying Martin reminded him of VCU's
Treveon Graham.
One guy is a smooth swingman, 3 point threat,
the other is Hassan.
The other was saying he couldn't take Pollard, because
he was too similar to Hassan.
One points to an odd player assessment.
The other, to only one inside player can play,
in Dan's mind.
Both headshakers.
I guess we will never know but I always envisioned Hassan progressing to the point where he could go out to 15-18 feet and having a legit post guy right next to him. He could fly around on d almost like a back line free safety. I don't know if HM doesn't have it in him or DH couldn't coach him up but that, along with three guards, would have been a team that could make a deep tourney run. HM plus four guards is a team you can win a lot of games with but it causes a lot of problems against better teams. Maybe it was just that we never got he big that would let HM slide over. HM has been great but I have a feeling we never saw what he could become. For a number of reasons.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree 100%, GBG.
I was told by Gilvuidas Biruta, that Hassan
has a load of weapons that he never displayed in
games.
Hass seems to have been true to his role and never really expanded
it.
A shame he played his entire career out of position,
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I am not comparing KI to Hass or anyone else, so don't explode, but Iverson is going to go his career without having a position or actually having to play out of position his entire college career. KI may have some of the stereotyped "transfer problem" issues, but, there is no doubting this guy has some outstanding physical tools. KI may be 6' 9", but he has no business being a 4 or 5 , at least on a consistent basis. And I am not blaming Dan for any lack of development, he clearly underachieved or didn't develop to what many thought he would at Memphis too. But I do wonder, if some of that talent would have ever come out in a different system or with him playing a different position.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Martin's 10-15 ft touch has been deadly this year when healthy. So long as he can take his time on the release. Best shooting of his career by far.

He dribbles the ball at a youth league level tho. I dont understand what is up with that. He's 6'6 and dribbles like he is 7'5.

Wish Iverson continued his rebounding level from last year into this year. KI could really pull down the ball last year. We were all surprised.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hassan reminds me of the great Willis Reed
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The issue with Hass and even KI is that though they likely aren't at their natural positions, their ball skills aren't at a level that would make them able to move over to the 3 and 4 (if we had a true 5). Hassan is a below average ball handler, passer and shooter beyond 10-12 feet. KI is a below average perimeter player.

So while I don't disagree that hypothetically they could have excelled more at positions more in tune with their body types, their skills sets actually reflect the skills of a 4 and 5 moreso than a 3 and 4. Whether that is based on a lack of development or what they are actually capable of from a talent level can be up for debate.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Has Iverson developed? Looking at his high school mixtape, I'd say no. But is that coaching? Or is that on Iverson himself?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree on Hassan. Disagree on Iverson.
Iverson is a good ball handler and passer, especially for his size.
I think he gets in trouble when he tries to do too much with the ball,
leading to the notion that he has a bad handle.
He is a natural 3, but at 6'9" on this team,
is forced to play the 4.
I've seen this and other tapes of Iverson in high school.
Looks like Lamar Odom in his skill set.
What happened to all that talent?
As for his development, as with Hass,
is it personal or coaching or a combination of
both lacking?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It does make you wonder if we even had someone like a Will Martell - just a true 5 to put down low, what that would do for your lineup to play Hass at the 4 and KI at the 3, or work some substitution pattern out with them.

Seems like that's what Tertsea will be, just will take some time to develop.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rod, agree on KI - in terms of having a solid handle and being a good passer. Moreso his decision making when he puts ball on the floor that I question, and if more touches from him in those situations would be a good thing. Also his perimeter shooting, which is streaky at best. I think we all agree he should be our zone killer at the foul line/high post, something he has had inconsistent success with.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

KI has been put in the position to play the 4 and, or 5, which ,again is not what is the best position for his skill set. But playing that position, he is responsible for doing more so what 4 and 5's typically do. We, if anything, have plenty of guards and therefore guys to handle the ball, so that shouldn't be his concern. His decision making is poor much of the time. He does try to do too much, as far as handling the ball and attempting to run a fast break, no doubt. We will never know, but how would he perform in a different system or able to play the 3 where his ball handling and play making skills would be more suited and therefore he possibly would be able to have more confidence in what he was doing. I do believe he tries to do some of these things, because this is the type of player he feels his skill set is best suited for. I am not saying its anyone's fault, if he possibly didn't develop to the point he may have been able to or should have. Dan seems like he has done a good job with KI grooming him emotionally or as a person. I am probably over rating KI skills, but this kid was rated very highly coming out of high school. And watching some of those promotional tapes, he did seem to have some Lamar type attributes.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TJ was the absolute best at the free throw line against a zone. Made a play every time he touched it there.
1 x
Go Rhody