Has anyone ever seen this?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Has anyone ever seen this?

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

There is a lot of history on this board.

I've followed this team closely since I went to URI in the late 70's. But I'm not as much a student of the game as some of you, i.e. I don't watch a ton of other teams play when the games have no connection to Rhody. So I have this question:

Have any of you ever seen ALL the players be this drastically inconsistent on one team, in the same season????????????

OK, a couple are due to injuries, and maybe EC is as well even though it's psychological. But Terrell disappears, Garrett doesn't seem to have his head in the game, EC can score 30 and then 5, then 30 again, then not shoot for an entire half....Martin is probably still hurt, but he isn't the same and might not be the rest of the season. Berry had a couple of good games last year and now doesn't play much and when he does get burned regulary on D. I like Robinson but I can shoot better than he does, and I'm not kidding. Iverson is either amazing or invisible, depedning on the game. Five weeks ago Dowtin was a 'deer in the headlights' guy who didn't even jump...and now he's becoming my favorite player. WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

And it's not an excuse, and I'm sure our defense is to blame, but have you ever seen a team shoot poorly in the final minutes of ANY game against us? Ever?

I'm an optimist, like a few on this board. And I submit we cannot be blamed for expecting a great season, because if EC, Garrett and Terrel played their AVERAGE games from previous contests, we'd be amazing. No logical person could have expected the flat out WEIRDNESS that we are witnessing.

So the honest question for you all: have you ever seen ANY team have so many Jeckle/Hyde players in one season? There are many TEAMS that are good one night and terrible the next, I don't mean that. I mean individual players?
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Re: Has anyone ever seen this?

Unread post by Tom98 »

I agree it's just unreal. No consistency with anyone on this team. A lot of talent but they just can't seem to put it together as a team against good competition.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I hate to say this, I don't want it to seem as though I'm piling on DH here but I think you've touched on a theme. We've had a few players fit that description over the past half decade, Gil comes to mind. I also feel like we've been talking about guys being in foul trouble often since the beginning of the DH era, which I believe contributes boldly to the wildly inconsistent play by some.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes I agree with this completely very inconsistent

How can you explain EC being scoreless in the 1h back to back games makes no sense
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

One more thing...does anybody notice that our players look like they are going to a funeral out there?

Their attitude and confidence must be totally shot.

I'll bet if you were to ask any of them how much fun they're having playing this game....they must be as discouraged as we are.

Dan the control freak could be sucking the life out of them.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rambone, that's something I was thinking about the other day. These guys have no swagger. Good teams always do, but our guys don't seem to play that way. They play hard (mostly), and clean, but with no real obvious confidence.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, it seems like they play with a ball and chain around their ankles.

Every move they make save breathing is controlled by DH.......80 plays on offense? How many of them actually work? The players' heads must feel like exploding.......

Help defense? The only help is when they cry for help......and nobody is listening......
0 x
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

This team cant even dribble the ball let alone run a productive offensive set. I cringed every possession in the 2nd half of the Dayton game because I just knew a turnover was coming. Its bizarre.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Jarvis Garrett seems lost out there. His play barely qualifies as D1 level. Chris Di Sano says he is the most underrated PG in the A-10. I like Chris, but he is looking at this through rose colored, rhody glasses. It seems every opponent's point guard that comes into Ryan is better and faster than Garrett. UMass' Jarreau will eat him up tomorrow.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The Jarvis hyped is based off of last year.

You assume his freshman year lights out defense is given. Then last year he really controlled games and was an awesome shooter.

Just natural to expect him to have a better year this year because he is a nice kid.

He takes a step back. They all sort of take a step back????? Everyone looks at DH. I really would like for them to have some success and get out of this period. I like when DH compliments RI and seems to enjoy himself. Its fun when the team seems to really embrace representing URI.

They just suck right now and it is a big disappointment.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Disagree with the first part of your tagline, spg....we saw against LaSalle that they couldn't play defense...but, what is it about a team playing 6 guards at a time that en 'looks like' a defensive team? not seeing it.....just because your guards give their guards the hairy eyeball when they bring the ball up the court...doesn't really look 'defensive' to me...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The team is taking on the personality of its head coach and is playing very tight
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......this is, as painful as it is some of the time, the experience that Rhody teams demonstrate over and over in the long run..... taking a few steps then couple of steps back.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well...hopefully, they can hit the brakes, double clutch and jam it into "DRIVE" today.
Am going with a pre-game sour from Whalers for good luck and then the usual pocket pubbery....

Suggestion: Why not meet up at Proclamation before the St. B game? 4pm game...I think the Proc opens at noon...about a mile from the Ry... This week would've worked except, they're having a sour release there today and those are just beyond nutty, crowd-wise.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Well...hopefully, they can hit the brakes, double clutch and jam it into "DRIVE" today.
Am going with a pre-game sour from Whalers for good luck and then the usual pocket pubbery....

Suggestion: Why not meet up at Proclamation before the St. B game? 4pm game...I think the Proc opens at noon...about a mile from the Ry... This week would've worked except, they're having a sour release there today and those are just beyond nutty, crowd-wise.
Bonnies game is at 2.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:The team is taking on the personality of its head coach and is playing very tight

Which explains the atrocious FT shooting at the end of the UMass game. URI was up comfortably by nine (78-68) with 1:01 left. It then missed seven of its last eight FT attempts. It was not all on one player as three different Rams missed two or more FT's. The only thing that explains it is that they are ALL PLAYING TIGHT. I believe this is a big part of why this team loses many close games.

1:01 Hassan Martin missed Free Throw. 69 - 78
1:01 Hassan Martin missed Free Throw. 69 - 78
0:53 Jeff Dowtin missed Free Throw. 71 - 78
0:53 Jeff Dowtin missed Free Throw. 71 - 78
0:45 E.C. Matthews missed Free Throw. 73 - 78
0:45 E.C. Matthews missed Free Throw. 73 - 78
0:09 Hassan Martin made Free Throw. 75 - 79
0:09 Hassan Martin missed Free Throw. 75 - 79
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they do this again it will cost them a game......this is now 4 straight games where the FT shooting has been bad.

Dowtin and EC are normally good FT shooters, and Hassan has been very good this year.......

It's not like it was a 1 or 2 point game with a minute to go, down to the 45 second mark.

They need their FT "shrink" to work with them again.

When good FT shooters constantly miss them late in games....they are tightening up for sure......

It's always something with this team....they should have won that game by 6-8 points.

If I was an opposing coach and his team was down late to us.....foul us and keep fouling us.

You know you're choking when you miss both ends of a two shot foul....three straight times.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......hack-a-ram.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Disagree with the first part of your tagline, spg....we saw against LaSalle that they couldn't play defense...but, what is it about a team playing 6 guards at a time that en 'looks like' a defensive team? not seeing it.....just because your guards give their guards the hairy eyeball when they bring the ball up the court...doesn't really look 'defensive' to me...

Haha I thought it would be weird to interpret that "we look like a defensive team that can't play defense."

I meant we were built like a defensive type of team that is limited offensively and meant to focus on stopping teams. Only, we couldn't stop anyone.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

At the beginning of the season one would have thought Dowtin and Thompson would struggle to see minutes given our depth in the back court.
Now they are more consistent than the upperclassmen they are playing behind. That's all you need to know about the 2016-17 Rams.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Every single team has inconsistencies. It's college basketball. The athletes we're speaking of are between the ages of 18-22, which isn't the time in your life when you tend to be "on" 100% of the time.

RIR, what you've said is indicative of 90% of this fan base, where you and most people don't watch basketball outside of Kingston. This is probably why so many of our fans have such a skewed view of what they think NCAA basketball should be versus what it actually is. I swear the way people post on here you would think every other "good" basketball team has 30 win seasons and goes to the sweet 16.

I've seen people on here talk about wishing Ed Cooley was our coach...because he's a "great" "x's and o's" coach. Those people are dumb. Go ask any PC fan or go read their board about how they feel. Talk to any Villanova fan before April 2016 and ask what they think about Jay Wright. Go talk to any Texas fan about Shaka Smart right now. Talk to any Buffalo fan about Bobby Hurley and then ask the same question to someone at Arizona State.

The grass is always greener unless you root for a HOF coach at a blue blood program. Even then, those coaches and teams will have bad games and bad stretches.

The unrealistic expectations of this fan base (i.e. a handful of people who post all the time on this board and a bunch of swamp yankees who haven't been north of the tower on route 1 since Bruce Sundlun was sworn into office) is rooted in a sheer misunderstanding and lack of context of college basketball.

When you combine that with people being way too overly invested in every single game as an individual event that stands on it's own, rather than understanding they are all chapters in a book of a season, you get wild misunderstanding and a bunch of over-the-top reactions.

Since the season is quite far from over, and this is a results based business, I don't understand how everyone is bugging out like we didn't make the 2017 NCAA tournament yet, when NO ONE has made the 2017 tournament yet. It's ludicrous.

I just hope everyone remembers what they're saying about Hurley and this team now should we be dancing in March...when they're hightailing it back on the bandwagon to verbally fellate everyone associated with URI basketball.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Two comments....
Verbally fellate....good one.
Who's Bruce Sunlund?
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Blue Man,

I'm one of the optimists, which I partly attribute to being out of Rhode Island for many years.

I'm not knocking the players, I'm just pointing out that this group of players is uniquely on and off again. It is what it is. Compare this season to last season even. It's an oddity. And I agree with you on some people thinking the big name schools never play poorly. I watch Arizona here and witness that first hand.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Two comments....
Verbally fellate....good one.
Who's Bruce Sunlund?
.......come on man......do a little history look back on RI politics.....maybe ya been to the Hillsgrove airport?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

k...was just kidding....he's Kara's dad ;)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodeIslandRams wrote:Blue Man,

I'm one of the optimists, which I partly attribute to being out of Rhode Island for many years.

I'm not knocking the players, I'm just pointing out that this group of players is uniquely on and off again. It is what it is. Compare this season to last season even. It's an oddity. And I agree with you on some people thinking the big name schools never play poorly. I watch Arizona here and witness that first hand.
Oh no I didn't mean that as a slight against you no matter how it was written, just more a statement of fact. Most URI fans aren't college basketball fans, just URI basketball fans. Not that that's right, wrong, or indifferent - it just is what it is.

With that lack of context as to the landscape of the sport, I feel like this board starts to distort the reality versus the ideal. "Good" is extremely subjective in this sport, and wins any way you can get them are good.

Without watching a ton of college basketball, I think a lot of people in this fanbase just see final scores and assume everything went great and the play was flawlessly executed, and every other fan is exceedingly happy with 100% of their program.

It's just tough to remind everyone all the time that not every basketball game is played flawlessly. Even in the pros, but much less so at the college level.

I get that everyone is ridiculously frustrated with the 17 year drought. The reality is that this team, and this coach, and the administration in place hasn't been responsible for the last 17 years.

Blame Jerry D and Baron, blame Petro and Carothers for panicking and saddling this current administration with an albatross contract and no means to buy it out until it had pretty much run its course and buried our once proud program. The only difference between us and PC in the 2000's was that PC had the capital to buy out their 2 shitty coaches and move until they found someone in Cooley.

Taking the last 2 decades of frustration out on the coaches and players who have been trying to dig out of that hole is asinine and cutting off our nose to spite our face.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man....right now you can't tell me or anyone else that Dan is the answer to that 17 year drought.....we just don't know.....he's done a crapload of good things to turn around the mess that he inherited.....that much we know....

What we don't know is the future....yes we are impatient.....we also know that not everything is going to go smoothly and improvement is not linear especially here.....

Maybe some of us are starting to run out of confidence that he'll get it done....you're young...you have plenty of time to see it through whether it's Dan or the next coach or the next one after that......

Us older fans have experienced URI's "glory years" on the hardwood.....at least we have that, but is it too much to ask to be able to relive those successes....and soon?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:Every single team has inconsistencies. It's college basketball. The athletes we're speaking of are between the ages of 18-22, which isn't the time in your life when you tend to be "on" 100% of the time.

RIR, what you've said is indicative of 90% of this fan base, where you and most people don't watch basketball outside of Kingston. This is probably why so many of our fans have such a skewed view of what they think NCAA basketball should be versus what it actually is. I swear the way people post on here you would think every other "good" basketball team has 30 win seasons and goes to the sweet 16.

When you combine that with people being way too overly invested in every single game as an individual event that stands on it's own, rather than understanding they are all chapters in a book of a season, you get wild misunderstanding and a bunch of over-the-top reactions.

Since the season is quite far from over, and this is a results based business, I don't understand how everyone is bugging out like we didn't make the 2017 NCAA tournament yet, when NO ONE has made the 2017 tournament yet. It's ludicrous.

I just hope everyone remembers what they're saying about Hurley and this team now should we be dancing in March...when they're hightailing it back on the bandwagon to verbally fellate everyone associated with URI basketball.
Stop trying to invalidate everyone's opinion because you don't agree with it. I'm sure a lot more than 10% of this fan base watches basketball outside of Kingston and it's crazy to lump everyone in the same group.

Whether or not we're going to make the tournament at this point doesn't change the fact that we're currently not meeting expectations. An 11-6 record with a RPI of 50 is not what most were expecting at this point in the season. On top of that we're coming off two of our worst defensive games of the season, both at home, with one of those being a loss. The season's obviously not over but other than continuing to look back at the Cincy game it's hard to have confidence in this team going forward.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Every single team has inconsistencies. It's college basketball. The athletes we're speaking of are between the ages of 18-22, which isn't the time in your life when you tend to be "on" 100% of the time.

Stop trying to invalidate everyone's opinion because you don't agree with it. I'm sure a lot more than 10% of this fan base watches basketball outside of Kingston and it's crazy to lump everyone in the same group.

Whether or not we're going to make the tournament at this point doesn't change the fact that we're currently not meeting expectations. An 11-6 record with a RPI of 50 is not what most were expecting at this point in the season. On top of that we're coming off two of our worst defensive games of the season, both at home, with one of those being a loss. The season's obviously not over but other than continuing to look back at the Cincy game it's how to have confidence in this team going forward.
You're certainly not wrong and I'm certainly an asshole who LOVES to invalidate opinions I disagree with, I am an excitable male of latin decent - but based on the majority of responses on this board, it's hard for me to see it any other way.

I'll agree that we aren't playing up to the pre-season expectations of the #23 team in the country - but expectations should be adjusted every now and again. The fact that people are losing their minds because we're not playing like we thought we were going to in September, without being able to adjust those expectations after seeing the team mid-season is foolish.

Wins are good. Period. There is no such thing as a bad win. Just like everyone who's screaming negative all the time says you can't take anything positive from a loss and you invalidate anything good you did blah blah blah...same with a win. I don't care how we looked. I don't care what mistakes we made in minutes 1-15 or in the final 60 seconds. If the score on the URI side of the scoreboard is higher than the score on the visitor side when the clock says 00:00, that's all that matters.

You can play well and lose and play like shit and win. Give me the 2nd option all day.

It's obvious we're not as good as we were ranked pre-season...but it should also be blatantly obvious that we're not as bad as the La Salle game was. Just because we aren't #23 in the country doesn't mean we're not an NCAA team though. The road certainly got tougher to get there but we control our own destiny, and it's not like we aren't good enough to make it happen.

The only expectation that matters for this team is an NCAA birth. If/when it happens - it shouldn't make one iota of difference whether we were the #1 overall seed or whether we went 0-30 and caught fire in March. NCAA birth = good.

The cinci game is probably the only thing keeping me from going ballistic like the lot of the board. Not only did it show how good we can be...but it's the one thing we've been missing in the last 17 years when we sat out selection sunday with nothing to show - a marquee win. That's the big difference and that's why I don't understand everyone acting like this is the same URI team they've seen since 2000.

No it's not. We never beat a ranked team. Ever. Not once. We didn't beat a team that then became ranked. We always fell short in those games. Except this year. Apologies if I'm going to defend the one sliver of hope I've been given in the past 2 decades til this season is officially over.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man...fine you can hang on to that one win.....but we need more than that to validate our being worthy of an NCAA berth.

If we end up getting it done...great. But...we need more than just hope.....
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I watch college basketball all the time and the reason I'm so pissed is I don't see many teams that have more talent than us. We are not getting coached to our full potential and in return we have a season full of ups and downs. We are too good for that. I wish I could share your hope Blue Man but I don't have faith in our coach anymore. I hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is the year we must dance. Last year was the mulligan this year with all the top 25 preseason hype if we don't dance it is on DH
1 x