Game 17: Massachusetts, Sunday Jan 15, 2:30pm NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 17: Massachusetts, Sunday Jan 15, 2:30pm NBCSN

Unread post by adam914 »

They made it interesting, but just need a W there and on to the next one now. Build off the second half. I'm sure they just wanted to do their part to help improve that record in games decided by less than 5 points.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......that win should settle things down a bit......just win the next one...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'll take an ugly win over a loss any day!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote:......that win should settle things down a bit......just win the next one...
nope. we should have destroyed them.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Winning feels good :)
Comeback win too.
Get some swagger!
But....SEVENTEEN MISSED FREE THROWS!!!! My goodness...
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeterRamTime wrote:
But....SEVENTEEN MISSED FREE THROWS!!!! My goodness...
Good win, needed it. Unacceptable with the FT%, just UNACCEPTABLE.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not bothering reading most because when you see people whining about not winning by enough.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

We got a win. Against a rival. With a freshman point guard in a must win situation.

Wasn't pretty but if you're not happy after beating a hated rival because we didn't win by enough go root for the Warriors.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I am not a doctor, but the Jarvis medical situation, -after listening to Dan, sounds more than a bug type thing.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dumass also had a freshman point guard. Just sayin.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Let's PLLEEAAASSE sweep them this year.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I pray to the basketball gods that whatever funk we were in ended in the last three minutes of the first half of tonight's game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

2 interesting mentions by Hurls in pg show...

1. He called their start "like LaSalle 2.0"
2. Said they were up near the end, but wanted to improve their record in one possession games...am sure it was in jest, but makes you wonder.

Observation...compare Holoway last year to Holoway this year...and then look at AB.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

With all due respect I was right behind the bench upstairs and Hurley coached his ass off today. Many adjustments we have been screaming for are occuring.....

We finally threw the home run ball at the end which was good, but I can't blame a HC for expecting his team to make foul shots. 7 out of 8 misses. Incomprehensible...

Martin laid it all out there this afternoon and JD was terrific. Iverson is the best high post passer in the league on display, a weapon Hurley has recognized and is using frequently. Not 100% clear why JT looks lost at the moment......JG med situ might explain some of the poor play so far this season?

Roady Jay now he don't back down from nobody! i'll have some pics up on IG later tonight. #keaneyblue or under the same handle on IG.

Time for some TV football.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:
Martin laid it all out there this afternoon and JD was terrific. Iverson is the best high post passer in the league on display, a weapon Hurley has recognized and is using frequently. .
Been saying something like that since last year...could not agree more...for this team to be really good...he needs to be effective and their best set goes through him in the high post. People talk about benching the guy...go ahead, but for this team to be its best, requires him being a + contributor.
0 x
Umassfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Umassfan »

Hard fought game between two evenly matched teams.. EC took over and was way too much for us to handle down the stretch.. I assume we will split this series with Umass taking it in Amherst..

Also a grown man taunting 18 year old opposing players sitting on the bench is a really bad look for the university.. not sure if that is the norm but you are better than that
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:2 interesting mentions by Hurls in pg show...

2. Said they were up near the end, but wanted to improve their record in one possession games...am sure it was in jest, but makes you wonder.

Observation...compare Holoway last year to Holoway this year...and then look at AB.
Yeah, and DH doesn't read this board. He gets credit for that end of game in bounds. That is what you do. Throw it over half court with 2 seconds left. Make adjustments with the starting lineup. This team was preseason Top 25. Some people think we have a bullseye on Dan. No we don't. He just needs to get us to the tournament. Plain and simple. That is his job.
1 x
Rhody Dude
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody Dude »

Umassfan wrote:Hard fought game between two evenly matched teams.. EC took over and was way too much for us to handle down the stretch.. I assume we will split this series with Umass taking it in Amherst..

Also a grown man taunting 18 year old opposing players sitting on the bench is a really bad look for the university.. not sure if that is the norm but you are better than that
hahaha easy on the "evenly matched"
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Umassfan wrote:Hard fought game between two evenly matched teams.. EC took over and was way too much for us to handle down the stretch.. I assume we will split this series with Umass taking it in Amherst..

Awww, does crybaby need a safe space to talk about the bad man?

UMASS fans especially have no leg to stand on regarding fan behavior. Kindly kiss my *ss and don't let the door hit ya
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Also, was a real treat watching Hass and Holloway bang it out on the block. Some grown man basketball down there today. Glad the refs let em go
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
---
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

theblueram wrote:

Yeah, and DH doesn't read this board. He gets credit for that end of game in bounds. That is what you do. Throw it over half court with 2 seconds left. Make adjustments with the starting lineup. This team was preseason Top 25. Some people think we have a bullseye on Dan. No we don't. He just needs to get us to the tournament. Plain and simple. That is his job.
Nice to grind out a comeback in close to a must win. Good job by DH making some moves in game. Definitely lame if he actually made that one possession game comment, though.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
theblueram wrote:

Nice to grind out a comeback in close to a must win. Good job by DH making some moves in game. Definitely lame if he actually made that one possession game comment, though.
He absolutely did make that comment...I'm sure he was trying to be funny...but no one reacted...was just awk silence....
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Not thrilled with huley as a tactician but let's give credit where it is due. Solid moves switching to zone to change momentum a bit. Good move getting has back in even with 2 fouls. Important move.. Called the TD pass on last in bounds didn't think he would do it.. Team responded much better to adversity good job... Thought sure kellogg was going to go after rhody jay after game.. Rabbit ears coach.. Hope Garrett is OK.. Listening to Hurley after game sounds a little unnerving...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What did he say about Jarvis after the game? I didn't hear it.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Missed DH talking about JG...what did he say?
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Very vague but said he has lost 15 lbs and how team had to deal with more adversity. He was at game. Usually if its flu or the like he would not be there. Hurley sounded concerned
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Found the quote. Certainly might explain some of the issues he's been having lately.

"Without getting into specifics - because we’re not quite sure exactly, I can’t begin to tell you what the diagnosis is or what the timeline is - I’ll just say this: his situation, although it’s an illness, is eerily similar to Hassan’s situation last year, where a guy didn’t complain and basically played himself into the ground. Lost 15 pounds in about three weeks. It hit a head over the weekend. He has an illness that we’re going to work hard to figure out exactly what’s going on."

http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... d080d.html
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I'll probably have more to say later. But let me say this for now. I hold up signs, I antagonize players/coaches, but never am i inappropriate. Your head coach on the other hand called me a fat fuck, told me to sit the fuck down at the beginning of the game. How does a head coach have such thin skin that he engages a fan because of a hair gel sign. It's not the first time he's come at me either. Coach the game!! Several players and fans made vulgar remarks as well. I didn't complain and I take it all with no problem. It's a rivalry game. I won't call out any players individually. I think all of them are great competitors. I wouldn't mind having several of them on our team. But please don't make them out to be innocent. That's silly. I'll tell you also that after the game Pipkins and Jarreau both hugged me. I told both of them they are great players. If you won the game you wouldn't have said a word.
8 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RoadyJay wrote:

I'll probably have more to say later. But let me say this for now. I hold up signs, I antagonize players/coaches, but never am i inappropriate. Your head coach on the other hand called me a fat fuck, told me to sit the fuck down at the beginning of the game. How does a head coach have such thin skin that he engages a fan because of a hair gel sign. It's not the first time he's come at me either. Coach the game!! Several players and fans made vulgar remarks as well. I didn't complain and I take it all with no problem. It's a rivalry game. I won't call out any players individually. I think all of them are great competitors. I wouldn't mind having several of them on our team. But please don't make them out to be innocent. That's silly. I'll tell you also that after the game Pipkins and Jarreau both hugged me. I told both of them they are great players. If you won the game you wouldn't have said a word.

Music to my ears RJ! The fact that they were thinking about you instead of the game is awesome. That is the value of a home crowd.
3 x
---
---
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep the rematch in Amherst is gonna be ugly......

As it should be.

Jarreau is gonna be a beast. Long, smooth, strong, fast and fearless.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RoadyJay wrote:

Hahaha Kellogg, that's priceless. What a loser.
4 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The 2.0 reference and suggestion that they deliberately missed those FTs in the last minute in order to improve his record in 1-possession games were intentional and bizarre.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Great job today Dan! Keep it up. I predicted a 20-game win streak would begin with the LaSalle game, but if I end up being wrong by only 1 then I'll be very nearly as pleased!
0 x
Umassfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Umassfan »

Good to hear about Pip and DJ, I couldn't tell what was being said but didn't look like good dialogue.. between you and DK could care less that's two grown men, from afar looked like the individual players were getting taunted. You had no need to explain yourself but I appreciate it.

Certainly going to be a fun one in amhers.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

hrstrat57 wrote:Iverson is the best high post passer in the league.
I must be watching completely different games. But anyway I'm glad he made some big shots in the second half. Don't think he is much of a high post passer at all. Lots of forced hard bounce pass turnovers to big men who would never have a chance to catch any of them.

Great crowd tonight I was surprised. Not many umass fans either which means it was almost a sell out of all uri.

Hope EC continues that second half he looked unstoppable. Hassan's defense on their big guy in the second half was all heart.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Everyone posts over and over about how Dan is too tight and it affects his team. Says they need to have more fun out there, too high strung, etc. etc. They get a nice comeback win after playing a terrible first half. He attempts to make a joke afterwards. You know to lighten things up a little. Then people say it is "lame" and "bizarre".
6 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

RoadyJay wrote:

Because it's the same coach who didn't even look or check on one of his players who was laying on the ground with a knee injury with 3 seconds left...all he cared about was how much time was left..and even after that he plenty of time to check on his player. Nothing. Not who I would want my kids to go play for.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

As a fan emotion controls initial thoughts, so I don't want to fire Hurley, today's game was awesome. Everything you could ask for in a college basketball game, great crowd big dunks big shots and big blocks. Rival game too. Let's keep the momentum. Also, I haven't seen EC play like that since his sophomore season. Great night.
1 x
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Since we missed 7 out of 8 in crunch time I am wondering if the collar gets a little too tight for our guys at the end of tight games. Can today's free throw performance be related to the other late tight game performances or is it just a conicidence?
I am hoping there is no relation at all.............
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A win is a win but this was much tighter than it should have been with the atrocious ft shooting. HTH does a team miss 6 straight free throws with about one minute left in a close game? 21-38 at 55% is not acceptable from the stripe. I will however give some props for coming back from 15 down. The team played flat and uninspired basketball for the first 15 minutes of the game. Things looked bleak especially since this followed two straight losses, on of which was the horrendous effort vs LaSalle at home. The team buckled down and started to play better D and did not give up. It was important to get the lead to a manageable level by the half and they did. They carried over their play in the latter part of the first half into the 2nd.

I must say I was VERY surprised at the size of the crowd (6,202) for a game during break with no students coming off such a bad home loss. A credit to the diehard Rhody faithful for coming out.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dan's comments about Jarvis sound ominous. Let's hope the break gives him time to recover. I have to say Jeff filled in admirably.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
theblueram wrote:

That comment was purely joking, nothing more.
If you know Dan or if you listen to all the post game shows with Steve and Don or if you listen to the Monday Shows, you should know Dan's sense of humor. There should be nothing more to his comment than his sometimes wry sense of humor.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Everyone posts over and over about how Dan is too tight and it affects his team. Says they need to have more fun out there, too high strung, etc. etc. They get a nice comeback win after playing a terrible first half. He attempts to make a joke afterwards. You know to lighten things up a little. Then people say it is "lame" and "bizarre".
It was Dan Hurley humor, plain and simple. Hard fought, come from behind, win. We needed that.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Adam, I thought the zone switch worked well. They were trapping a little in the backcourt at the same time. And yes they did start doubling down on the center at the same time, and the rest of the game. Good moves by the coach. He changed things up and it worked, as we got the game in range by halftime. Good second half. Good win. Good to see the good EC. Dowtin did pretty good on the point; he plays smart IMO. Hope Hassan can rest up; we sure need him. Hope Jarvis is ok, doesn't sound good. Hopefully we turn things around from here.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhody74 wrote:Dan's comments about Jarvis sound ominous. Let's hope the break gives him time to recover. I have to say Jeff filled in admirably.
The matchup between Dowtin and Jarreau was fun to watch, they are going to have some epic clashes over the next few years.

Dowtin is our Dak Prescott !!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Dowtin was fantastic in this game. 4 assists and 1 turnover. The guy was a stud and had a clutch steal as well.
Kuran Iverson........finally had a decent game. Mentally he seemed to be a bit sharper and a bit less careless with the ball today. He put in some good work on the court. If he can play more like he did today in the rest of the games, it will be a big improvement to the team and should boost their chances to win big games in my opinion.
E.C.......made me nervous with some of his jump shots towards the end, but he hit them. He played a great game and had just 1 turnover. He really stepped up big for Rhody today. The officiating was terrible as usual. There were so many fouls that weren't called while Rhody would drive to the lane. It's like UMass had accumulated so many fouls that the officials became too sheepish to call them anymore.

Good to see Rhody get the win today, but man they really need to work on their free throws.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
theblueram wrote:
He absolutely did make that comment...I'm sure he was trying to be funny...but no one reacted...was just awk silence....
Maybe no media reaction, but I laughed in my car. I liked the joke because it poked fun at crazy fans. Not surprised c any fans didn't find it funny. The 2.0 comment was not a reference to the dumb thread on this board, it's just a common way to express that idea.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I signed in just to shout out RoadyJay. He battled today and deserves respect. I personally have the perception that RoadyJay brings a very vanilla family friendly heckling so I was surprised and engaged to watch RJ mix it up a little. I would say a bigger reflection of UMASS than URI.

Hope Jarvis gets healthy and gets a chance to show his talent again this year.

Dowtin looked great bc he is a knock down shooter. He also looked to get the team into early offense. Huge.

EC???@??@?@?!#$#$!#?$ Everyone always has all these demands on EC. The only thing you should want from EC is whatever and whenever he plays great you should want more. For some reason everyone always wants less from him but he is obviously the go-to, leader, big time scorer take over a game guy. IF there was another that did it as much than great.... THAT GUY CAN DO IT IN ADDITION TO EC, but EC Matthews is the tide that lifts all boats. We need the EC we had today and everyone else to play great.

Then go on a winning streak for once. Gut it out.

I feel rewarded for going to the game as I said earlier in the thread and apparently i wasn't the only Rhody Ram showing up at the Sunday matinee today.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Nice to grind out a comeback in close to a must win. Good job by DH making some moves in game. Definitely lame if he actually made that one possession game comment, though.
Maybe no media reaction, but I laughed in my car. I liked the joke because it poked fun at crazy fans. Not surprised c any fans didn't find it funny. The 2.0 comment was not a reference to the dumb thread on this board, it's just a common way to express that idea.
It's Dan's humor, classic Dan. I'd suggest fans listen to the post game shows and Monday night shows, etc and listen to Dan interact with Steve and Don.......he's a pretty funny guy actually.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shinze88 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Dan's comments about Jarvis sound ominous. Let's hope the break gives him time to recover. I have to say Jeff filled in admirably.
The matchup between Dowtin and Jarreau was fun to watch, they are going to have some epic clashes over the next few years.

Dowtin is our Dak Prescott !!
- Jeff played 32 minutes, which was 2nd only to Terrell, who played 36. He only had 1 Turnover while leading the team at PG as a late announced substitution.
- Jeff had 4 assists but also had many passes that would have been assists, but the target of the pass was fouled. We had 38 FTs and many of those were after having received a pass from Jeff.
- He had one beautiful, on a string, 30' pass on a fast break in the 1st half
- Jeff had 2 steals of URIs total of 3 steals (Martin had the other). UMASS had 3 total steals. One steal was huge when game was 1 point differential with 7 min left and Jeff came up from behind on Jarreau and knocked the ball free.
- 3 of Jeff's assists went to Martin, one to Iverson. Often complaints from posters this year about how we don't look for Martin enough, well today Dowtin found Martin a lot with passes for FGs and passes that led descent shots that were missed or led to FTs. It was like the Dowtin to Martin show at times.

And there was this..............
In the last minute, with URI up by a few, Stanford Robinson received a pass on the right side at the 3 point line where he was open and could have taken a 3 pointer. Stan thought for a sec and declined the shot, instead passing back outside to run more clock and await a possible foul. Shortly thereafter, In a stop in the action, Jeff waved all URI players together at the top of the key to talk to them and I really thought Jeff mentioned something to Stan about what a smart play that was passing up the shot. I'm guessing, of course, that Jeff said this, but reading the body language I think he did. Regardless, I think that is the type of leadership Jeff brings to the court. Jeff was not intimidated today at all.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I was skiing and didn't see or hear the game. Happy they won and i hope Jarvis gets better soon. Sounds like this may be why his play has regressed this season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

- Coming back from 15 points down was a great accomplishment for this team!
- Hassan Martin was a warrior against Holloway! :D
- Martin had 6 blocks with most against Holloway and he also forced Holloway into 5 turnovers, several of which were traveling calls or offensive fouls
- Before injury Martin was 84% on FTs and at one time had 13 straight. Today he was 0-1 in 1st half then missed 1st 3 FTs of 2nd half ending up 5-12 FTs in 2nd half. Part of this was exhaustion from going up against Holloway and his long time off due to injury. He just needs more stamina and playing time to get his 84% FT rate back. He was an absolute warrior today - what a great example to set for our team, younger players on the team and our fans!!!!
- Holloway had 20 points and 7 rebounds but only 1 offensive rebound. Holloway was a beast but without Martin playing he might have had 35 points and a lot more rebounds. Holloways 5 turnovers hurt and he had a number of his shots blocked, something he was clearly not used to prior to facing Martin.
- Dante Clark got off to a hot start and shot 3-4 on threes but we did a good job of adjusting, taking him out of his game in the 2nd half
- Akele with 5 big rebounds and a block in just 12 effective and important minutes.
- Thompson with a beautiful inside drive and dish off to Martin. Effective performance by Thompson, especially considering his off time
- Robinson with effective minutes shooting, passing and defensively - as usual
- EC 10-14 FGs and a huge 2nd half with many clutch baskets, steal, 2 assists, 4 rebounds for game high 22 points
- Excellent fan support, especially in 2nd half
- Nice to beat UMASS, often a team we have suffered devastating losses to in the past
- I was scared silly that Pipkins 3 point attempt was going in at the end - it was very close.....whew....a win is a win!!!
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x